Karen Heath

Art Deco Buildings

I'll dig out some deco later, but for the mean time as this is an architecture thread, I've posted this image which is likely to amuse viewers, of a property I recently came across on Google street view whilst looking at the details of an adjacent/opposite house for sale. It has what must surely be one of the most ridiculous conservatory extensions ever constructed, and there's people sitting down to the left admiring it.

P1050305 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Martin S

5 hours ago, Martin S said:

I'll dig out some deco later, but for the mean time as this is an architecture thread, I've posted this image which is likely to amuse viewers, of a property I recently came across on Google street view whilst looking at the details of an adjacent/opposite house for sale. It has what must surely be one of the most ridiculous conservatory extensions ever constructed, and there's people sitting down to the left admiring it.

P1050305 - Copy.JPG

Wtf is that 😳 am gobsmacked 😂😂

3 hours ago, baz1 said:

Wtf is that 😳 am gobsmacked 😂😂

I feel fully justified in having uploaded it now. That's the same conversation those seated people to the left are probably having. 

Edited by Martin S

In an area almost entirely occupied by 1930's built semi's (several thousands of them) of the style seen in the rest of this street, for some reason there were a pair of Art Deco semi's in Seaforth Gardens just a few hundred yards from where we lived. This is Stoneleigh, a few miles from Epsom, Surrey. Number 51 has had its Critals replaced in the two main front windows. As children we were mystified by these houses and had thoughts of them being occupied by characters similar to those that appeared in Smash advertisements.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.36476,-0.2516572,3a,89.2y,245.18h,93.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srL6CrtOB56pLPzYK-Z13HQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Martin S

22 hours ago, Martin S said:

In an area almost entirely occupied by 1930's built semi's (several thousands of them) of the style seen in the rest of this street, for some reason there were a pair of Art Deco semi's in Seaforth Gardens just a few hundred yards from where we lived. This is Stoneleigh, a few miles from Epsom, Surrey. Number 51 has had its Critals replaced in the two main front windows. As children we were mystified by these houses and had thoughts of them being occupied by characters similar to those that appeared in Smash advertisements.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.36476,-0.2516572,3a,89.2y,245.18h,93.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srL6CrtOB56pLPzYK-Z13HQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I used to work in Stoneleigh, even the small shopping parade there is so "1930s". I used to think that Stoneleigh was a figment of a comic strip writers imagination. Yes they're lovely houses, even time I see one when I'm out and about in the UK I try to stop, photograph it and find out more about the building, they usually have some interesting history. I wonderful moment in architectural times 😀

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.