Karen Heath's profile photo

Art Deco Buildings

Freebasing Karen Heath

Posted

My local flea pit which is still virtually on my doorstep, was turned into bingo in the 70s then a top class nightclub in the 90s ,2 million quid was spent on doing it up and it shut just under a year later, now empty and was supposed to be turned into flats :lol: but since the housing crash of late is still empty

Lenny

post-2346-12665815650325_thumb.jpg

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Check out this virtual tour of the Rennie Mackintosh house/museum at 78 Derngate, Northampton, especially the hall/lounge. thumbup.gif

http://www.78derngat...nt/virtual-tour

New Olympia Cinema Burnley Rd, Todmorden.

3325891727_e968809c24.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Bradford Odeon

TH1_63200919odeon.jpg

soul source url
Posted

five mins down the road from where i come from in Poole, Dorset, you can find loads of lovely buildings around Sandbanks - just a tad more up market than the estate i come from.

My Grandmother used to live in Ringwood and we spent many holidays on Sandbanks beach, it was upmarket even back then. Tell me if you live(d) in Poole can you ever remember a family, can't for the life of me remember their name, anyway their son was in and out of borstal, the daughters were putting it about a bit down Bournemouth way, they were in 1972/75 quite (im)famous for their antics. ?wanker.gif

soul source url
Posted

Here's a picture as it is now - a nursing home.

its just recognisable under that ugly tiled additional floor....

soul source url
Posted

The Daily Telegraph building in New Zealand...............

soul source url
Guest\
Posted

My Grandmother used to live in Ringwood and we spent many holidays on Sandbanks beach, it was upmarket even back then. Tell me if you live(d) in Poole can you ever remember a family, can't for the life of me remember their name, anyway their son was in and out of borstal, the daughters were putting it about a bit down Bournemouth way, they were in 1972/75 quite (im)famous for their antics. ?wanker.gif

:beer: could be one of many number of families down our way :beer: would need a lot more of a clue than that

soul source url
Posted

Check out this virtual tour of the Rennie Mackintosh house/museum at 78 Derngate, Northampton, especially the hall/lounge. thumbup.gif

http://www.78derngat...nt/virtual-tour

watched the series on cable with the guy off antiques roadshow when doing it up would love to see it real...the hill house crm at helensbrough is my best so far vi sit...

soul source url
Posted

Unlike, Firestones just down the road in Brentford! Even though the developers knew it was listed wanker.gif .

25-figure-firestone-tyres.jpg

if the facade was listed and they still knocked it down the development profit must have far outwayed the fine??

soul source url
Posted

And the De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill - stunning:

De-La-Warr-Pavilion-at-Be-003.jpg

I've spent hours at the De La Warr, the grounds are lovely as well, Davina even worked there at one point.

soul source url
Posted

My office building on New Oxford Street ( I like to think of it as London's very own Flatiron Building). Really a 'Modernist' deisgn but a large nod to Art Deco detailing.............

Commonwealth+House.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Also in Edinburgh

Dominion_Cinema_Edinburgh.jpg

i've got some shots of that somewhere

soul source url
Posted

The Daily Telegraph building in New Zealand...............

isn't Napier in New Zealand pretty much all Art Deco ... ?

soul source url
Posted

Wasn't that a Kwik Save at one time?

soul source url
Posted

isn't Napier in New Zealand pretty much all Art Deco ... ?

Yes it is-my sister lives in NZ

Napier was flattened by an earthquake in 1931 and re-build in the years afterwards prime Art deco time

Napier holds an annual art deco festival weekend(er) LOL about this time of year, wonderful place.

However I work with Kiwi an ex NZ who says enjoy it while its there coz it sits on a great big f**k off fault, waiting for the next big one !

Robpost-1887-12665886234287_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

here is another you might have seen if you go to Cleethorpes weekender, by the roundabout as you go in.

The old electric board showroom, its a clothes shop now, but if you ask nicely they let you upstairs to see the windows!!

Come on Wicksy when are you building me a house !!

post-1887-12665891223274_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

and in New Brighton

a feckin' belter

post-1887-12665893813033_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Stillness House, Kent.

More art deco in Sandbanks

soul source url
Posted

The 1927 film Metropolis by Von Fritz Lang is one of my fav films :thumbsup:

It has some great Art Deco scenes good.gif

Here are some still's from the film :thumbup:

Debbie x

post-14474-12665926126988_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665926250493_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665926354192_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665926444974_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

The Berlin Film Festival has just premiered a fully restored version of Metropolis inc. 30 minutes of recently descovered footage discovered in Argentina last year. thumbsup.gif

soul source url
Posted

I cant post photos, as I'm an incompetent. But Karen, maybe you can.

There is a building just off Russell Square heading towards Store Street and Tottenham Court Road, in the grounds of the London Examination Board offices. Its a beautiful tall building not too unlike these in the photo's. And it gets used in many thriller or horror films filmed in London.

It is stunning, and I hope it is Art Deco. Otherwise I typed that for nothing.

If anyone is interested. We visited Laycock Abbey and The Fox Talbot Museum last weekend. They have an exhibition on called icons of the highway by Eva and Tony Worobiec. It is all amazing art deco buildings around America filmed at sundown, so the lighting is amazing.

I recommend both the Abbey and village as great places to visit. The exhibition rounds the day off to a T.

soul source url
Posted

It looks better in the flesh, so to speak, but the Ramada Hotel in Hatfield , designed to look like an aircraftpost-1117-12665970799136_thumb.jpg

Tony

soul source url
Posted

And from Lancashire

post-1117-12665974631205_thumb.jpg

T

soul source url
Posted

I cant post photos, as I'm an incompetent. But Karen, maybe you can.

There is a building just off Russell Square heading towards Store Street and Tottenham Court Road, in the grounds of the London Examination Board offices. Its a beautiful tall building not too unlike these in the photo's. And it gets used in many thriller or horror films filmed in London.

It is stunning, and I hope it is Art Deco. Otherwise I typed that for nothing.

Mikey, are you refering to the University of London 's Senate House?.........

300px-Senate_House_UoL.jpg

soul source url
Posted (edited)

exfront.jpg

hotel in brid

Edited by Naughty Boy

soul source url
Posted (edited)

quote name='tonyp' date='19 February 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1266597095' post='1267115']

It looks better in the flesh, so to speak, but the Ramada Hotel in Hatfield , designed to look like an aircraftpost-1117-12665970799136_thumb.jpg

Tony

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley

soul source url
Posted

Mr. Cato should know this one, sadly left to rot

post-1117-12665987495958_thumb.jpg

post-1117-12665987766126_thumb.jpg

Tony

soul source url
Posted

quote name='tonyp' date='19 February 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1266597095' post='1267115']It looks better in the flesh, so to speak, but the Ramada Hotel in Hatfield , designed to look like an aircraftpost-1117-12665970799136_thumb.jpg

Tony

Stayed there at Teff and Sharrons wedding the main staircase is a dream as well !

rob & Karen

soul source url
Posted

:thumbup: could be one of many number of families down our way :lol: would need a lot more of a clue than that

He was called Jimmy Something :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Mikey, are you refering to the University of London 's Senate House?.........

300px-Senate_House_UoL.jpg

Thats it Craig. You can walk underneath it during the day as a short cut to Russell Square from the West End. Not sure its Art Deco. Could be Gothic??

Edited by in town Mikey

soul source url
Posted

the Gatsby Berkhamsted never been inside but it looks outstanding 14large.jpg

also love art deco/new enlgand ellements of the port meirion hotel hotel.jpg

Miami has some of the worlds best examples art deco buildings and hotels (Essex House)20080425_miami-essex.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Stayed there at Teff and Sharrons wedding the main staircase is a dream as well !

rob & Karen

I'm sure this is the old De Havilland Works, they used to build Mosquitos and others there........

Chris L

soul source url
Posted

Wasn't that a Kwik Save at one time?

Yes I think it was.

Drove past it loads of time going to Tim's warehouse.thumbsup.gif

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Yes I think it was.

Drove past it loads of time going to Tim's warehouse.thumbsup.gif

Thought it was, it was a real shame.Kwik Save bought several old cinemas and just used the ground floors...................the worst one was in Radcliffe............................The upper floors and the roof weren't properly maintained and occupied by pidgeons...............I opened up one morning and the checkouts were covered with ruined ceiling tiles and guano..........and the real pisser was that above the false ceiling all the architectural features including the split curved stair case into the gods was still there....................but ruined.

Edited by proudlove

soul source url
Posted

Earl of Doncaster

post-16505-1266624533962_thumb.jpg

post-16505-12666245743947_thumb.jpg

post-16505-1266624606284_thumb.jpg

post-16505-1266624632801_thumb.jpg

post-16505-12666246734516_thumb.jpg

post-16505-12666247362336_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Earl of Doncaster

Whereabouts is that ? I guess it's a hotel, yes ? :thumbsup:

Chris L

soul source url
Posted

Whereabouts is that ? I guess it's a hotel, yes ? :thumbup:

Chris L

Found it, looks good value too....................:thumbsup:

http://www.theearl.co.uk/

soul source url
Posted

rob & Karen

I'm sure this is the old De Havilland Works, they used to build Mosquitos and others there........

Chris L

soul source url
Posted

One of my favourites - The Jubilee Pool in Penzance. One of the last surviving outdoor lidos and to my mind one of the very best. Excuse the poor photos as they were taken on a cold November day through railings as the pool was shut for the season. Seen at its best when swimming in it.

post-812-12668390335611_thumb.jpg

post-812-12668390400651_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

One of my favourites - The Jubilee Pool in Penzance. One of the last surviving outdoor lidos and to my mind one of the very best. Excuse the poor photos as they were taken on a cold November day through railings as the pool was shut for the season. Seen at its best when swimming in it.

post-812-12668390335611_thumb.jpg

post-812-12668390400651_thumb.jpg

I love a lido. Unfortunately, the one near me at Parliament Hill is frequented in Summer by all the local schoolkids who walk around with their clothes on and hoods up. It's a bit disconcerting when you feel out of place in a bikini!

soul source url
Posted

Whoops - just noticed that I didn't put the term Salt water in front of Lido. There are of course quite a few outdoor pools and lidos from the deco period but only a few that are filled from the sea.

soul source url
Posted

Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool...not so nice outside but gorgeous inside.

livphilHallInterior.jpgmuso__1245748153_Liverpool-Philharmonic-Hall.jpg16hope.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Not exactly Art Dceo architecture, but who rememebers these babes ? ................................

A couple of kids at my school lived in them, that was a long..........L O N G time agao.............

post-4408-12703947884387_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Here's a weird one, a church, they were heavily inspired by modernist architecture. This is St Pauls in South Harrow, we went to St Gabriels in South harrow, on the edge of a vast council estate in Northolt.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

This one of the most famous in the UK, Burgh Island Hotel.........

Edited by Chris L

soul source url
Guest\
Posted (edited)

There are several notable art deco buildings in Doncaster , but the most famous was now demolished Gaumont Theatre at the top of Hallgate .

During its' time , The Gaumont played host to mant stage shows , one of them being on October 23rd 1962 , when Little Richard shared the bill with Sam Cooke . This was the night when LR announced he was giving up rock and roll for God ....... and the teddy boys in the assembled audience pelted him with anything they could throw , and booed him from the stage .

Barry , a now sadly passed good friend of mine , was at that eventful night , told me about the reception LR got when he made his announcement to the crowd : He said " what did he expect saying that : it was lucky the teds didn't string the soft twat up " :thumbsup:

The photographs below show The Gaumont in 1934 , and prior to its' recent demolition .

Malc

post-5097-044315900 1277745247_thumb.jpg

post-5097-060486500 1277745280_thumb.jpg

post-5097-000893600 1277745324_thumb.png

Edited by Malc Burton

soul source url
Posted

Saltdean Lido near Brighton is always a fab sight when we're coming along the coast there, restored to its former glory and hugely popular.

post-8338-034173900 1277749652_thumb.jpg

And this house is one of many in my Mum & Dad's road in New Malden, Surrey. I always loved these 'ship houses' when I was little - Justin & I were sorely tempted to buy one 10 years ago, but he couldn't face living quite so close to the outlaws :thumbsup:

post-8338-044635200 1277750278_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Not exactly Art Dceo architecture, but who rememebers these babes ? ................................

A couple of kids at my school lived in them, that was a long..........L O N G time agao.............

post-4408-12703947884387_thumb.jpg

My Mum lived in one in Battersea from 41-46 as they were bombed out of their house. She has really fond memories as it was incredibly modern compared to where they'd been - had an inside toilet and everything :thumbsup: Do I sense a prefab thread sprouting Chris?

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I love this place :lol: went here for my hol's a few years back :thumbsup:

Debbie x

post-14474-054767900 1277751931_thumb.jp

Edited by parkash

soul source url
Posted

One of my favourite buildings in the world, the Sunset Tower in Hollywood.

post-2765-035224700 1277764662_thumb.jpg

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.