Karen Heath's profile photo

Art Deco Buildings

Freebasing Karen Heath

Posted (edited)

I'll dig out some deco later, but for the mean time as this is an architecture thread, I've posted this image which is likely to amuse viewers, of a property I recently came across on Google street view whilst looking at the details of an adjacent/opposite house for sale. It has what must surely be one of the most ridiculous conservatory extensions ever constructed, and there's people sitting down to the left admiring it.

P1050305 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Martin S
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Martin S said:

I'll dig out some deco later, but for the mean time as this is an architecture thread, I've posted this image which is likely to amuse viewers, of a property I recently came across on Google street view whilst looking at the details of an adjacent/opposite house for sale. It has what must surely be one of the most ridiculous conservatory extensions ever constructed, and there's people sitting down to the left admiring it.

P1050305 - Copy.JPG

Wtf is that 😳 am gobsmacked 😂😂

soul source url
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, baz1 said:

Wtf is that 😳 am gobsmacked 😂😂

I feel fully justified in having uploaded it now. That's the same conversation those seated people to the left are probably having. 

Edited by Martin S

soul source url
Posted (edited)

In an area almost entirely occupied by 1930's built semi's (several thousands of them) of the style seen in the rest of this street, for some reason there were a pair of Art Deco semi's in Seaforth Gardens just a few hundred yards from where we lived. This is Stoneleigh, a few miles from Epsom, Surrey. Number 51 has had its Critals replaced in the two main front windows. As children we were mystified by these houses and had thoughts of them being occupied by characters similar to those that appeared in Smash advertisements.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.36476,-0.2516572,3a,89.2y,245.18h,93.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srL6CrtOB56pLPzYK-Z13HQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by Martin S

soul source url
Posted
22 hours ago, Martin S said:

In an area almost entirely occupied by 1930's built semi's (several thousands of them) of the style seen in the rest of this street, for some reason there were a pair of Art Deco semi's in Seaforth Gardens just a few hundred yards from where we lived. This is Stoneleigh, a few miles from Epsom, Surrey. Number 51 has had its Critals replaced in the two main front windows. As children we were mystified by these houses and had thoughts of them being occupied by characters similar to those that appeared in Smash advertisements.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.36476,-0.2516572,3a,89.2y,245.18h,93.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srL6CrtOB56pLPzYK-Z13HQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I used to work in Stoneleigh, even the small shopping parade there is so "1930s". I used to think that Stoneleigh was a figment of a comic strip writers imagination. Yes they're lovely houses, even time I see one when I'm out and about in the UK I try to stop, photograph it and find out more about the building, they usually have some interesting history. I wonderful moment in architectural times 😀

soul source url
Posted

sandbanks in poole still has few fantastic art deco buildings .my middle son ran the bar in the last hotel on sandbanks .cant remember the name it also had bit of history connected to the telegram sent from the titanic ,there are photos of the man that got the telegram in the hallway ,and fantastic hallway and doors into the hotel like stepping back in time walking in there ,plus the view not bad as well .

soul source url
Posted
On 12/01/2019 at 14:06, Chris L said:

I used to work in Stoneleigh, even the small shopping parade there is so "1930s". I used to think that Stoneleigh was a figment of a comic strip writers imagination. Yes they're lovely houses, even time I see one when I'm out and about in the UK I try to stop, photograph it and find out more about the building, they usually have some interesting history. I wonderful moment in architectural times 😀

There's not many places to work in Stoneleigh so out of curiosity where was it? At a guess I'd say on The Broadway, a unit in Dell Lane, or a school? Stoneleigh was a town built on farm land from the 1930's onwards as you say. The area radiating Stoneleigh, which would included Ewell, Worcester Park, and Motspur Park, Cheam, and the approach to Sutton from that direction, has a remarkably consistent design of housing. Regarding a comic strip writers location, there was a sitcom filmed at one of the houses between and including 10 to 16 in this street image, anyone know what it was? There's something rare here because house number 54 is actually a Clandon Close address even though it's situated well into Kenilworth Road! The house to the right of it is 16 Kenilworth Road. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kenilworth+Rd,+Epsom/@51.3619278,-0.2481728,3a,64.3y,307.63h,87.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAoQr0GBMWc4C0yMeFQZ7cw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x487609c5d80f1413:0xcd64c48893e5487f!8m2!3d51.3626722!4d-0.2476437

soul source url
Posted (edited)

On the subject of Stoneleigh, how pathetic is this? The sign outside the pub depicts a GWR Railway scene at a busy junction station, yet is placed directly outside a L&SWR/SR station which has a single island platform and the only siding it ever had didn't last long and was only during the towns construction. There was never a goods yard here, Ewell East, Ewell West, and Worcester Park were the nearest 3 with such facilities.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kenilworth+Rd,+Epsom/@51.3630218,-0.2473984,3a,47.7y,306.03h,99.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sprrSeYEjQmadHYGdOVjhZg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x487609c5d80f1413:0xcd64c48893e5487f!8m2!3d51.3626722!4d-0.2476437

Edited by Martin S

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.