• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ANYBODY SEE THE PRICE OF PETE SMITH'S FAVOURITE ON EBAY LAST NIGHT

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

GOTTA BE THE HIGHEST PRICE EVER PAID FOR THIS :ohmy:

IS EBAY NOW OFFICIALLY THE BEST PLACE TO LIST YOUR BIGGIES:chinstroke::yes:

Yes. But just like Ray Pollard I wanted it. I used to have it and sold it 10 years ago (for £1400 so the inflations not that much really) when skint. I have an ambition to get back every record that i ever had. And I will.

Phil

Social source share

Yes. But just like Ray Pollard I wanted it. I used to have it and sold it 10 years ago (for £1400 so the inflations not that much really) when skint. I have an ambition to get back every record that i ever had. And I will.

Phil

Phil ...i will be sure to get in touch next time i decide to sell any of my rarer stuffwhistling

Obviously it is entirely upto you what you do with your money ...but it does influence the next ebay seller who owns one, to put it up as a buy it now ,hence driving up prices:yes:

Example....DEALERS on Big bunny ...two copies on ebay....... $199 buy it now and $250 buy it now:angry:

p.s Coming out and owning up to your lavish spending ...i applaud you cos most people dumb down what they pay when they pay OTTthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Phil ...i will be sure to get in touch next time i decide to sell any of my rarer stuffwhistling

Obviously it is entirely upto you what you do with your money ...but it does influence the next ebay seller who owns one, to put it up as a buy it now ,hence driving up prices:yes:

Example....DEALERS on Big bunny ...two copies on ebay....... $199 buy it now and $250 buy it now:angry:

p.s Coming out and owning up to your lavish spending ...i applaud you cos most people dumb down what they pay when they pay OTTthumbsup.gif

Yeah but like I've said so many times before, anything's worth what someone will pay for it.

Over the years I've had so many stuff for next to nowt it kind of evens itself out - Moments on Hog - $2.00 (sold for £990), Danny Moore $0.25 (sold for £1000), George Lemons - $1.00 (sold for £1400).

If I'm driving up prices on stuff then sorry (not really :rolleyes: ). I sold quite a few of my bigger stuff years ago when I was out of work and skint. Mostly to dealers who took advantage of my circumstances.

Now I am blessed to be in a position to be able to pay, within reason, whatever it takes to get them back.

Phil

Social source share

that's been the case as long as people have been buying records, in particular with auctions. It isn't the first time George Lemons has sold for over £2000 either.

If buy it now prices are too high they will not sell and the seller will have to list again at a lower price....simple.

Social source share

that's been the case as long as people have been buying records, in particular with auctions. It isn't the first time George Lemons has sold for over £2000 either.

If buy it now prices are too high they will not sell and the seller will have to list again at a lower price....simple.

Point taken Chalky but i honestly believe that a lot of people use popsike as a current guide,or even recent sales on here via google search ,to get a quick answer.

I myself have benefitted from two big sales just recently ,which i would say deffo resulted from previously hiked ebay saleswicked.gif

Not complaining myself ...original post was done because it still amazes me when i check things im watching go for such high prices....if im being honest as a buyer ..it excites mewicked.gif

Social source share

Point taken Chalky but i honestly believe that a lot of people use popsike as a current guide,or even recent sales on here via google search ,to get a quick answer.

I myself have benefitted from two big sales just recently ,which i would say deffo resulted from previously hiked ebay saleswicked.gif

Not complaining myself ...original post was done because it still amazes me when i check things im watching go for such high prices....if im being honest as a buyer ..it excites mewicked.gif

I know what you mean. With the odd one or two I've now got back just about every record that i sold, and am now underway with the project to get every record i ever wanted. That project will take me beyond my lifetime however, as I want 'em all :thumbsup:

Amd it is exciting to watch auctions and to take part in them. I have mostly sworn off ebay now but when a "must have" turns up i can't help meself.

Phil

Social source share

think we all must have benefited from selling records for what we consider OTT prices at times. But also lost out on what actually paid for a record and what sold so its swigs and roundabouts at time. Some you win some you lose.

Popsike can't be used to set a price, most of the prices are often several years old. And like George Lemons is an indemand record so is £2200 in an auction really that much OTT when it could be be listed for say £1500? If two people want something bad enough then to them, like Phil said it is worth it, especially if you can afford it. Like I said earlier, since the early days of collecting people have always paid what can be said to be OTT prices for the top records of the day.

Social source share

think we all must have benefited from selling records for what we consider OTT prices at times. But also lost out on what actually paid for a record and what sold so its swigs and roundabouts at time. Some you win some you lose.

Popsike can't be used to set a price, most of the prices are often several years old. And like George Lemons is an indemand record so is £2200 in an auction really that much OTT when it could be be listed for say £1500? If two people want something bad enough then to them, like Phil said it is worth it, especially if you can afford it. Like I said earlier, since the early days of collecting people have always paid what can be said to be OTT prices for the top records of the day.

Popsike is better than someone's price guide ...it quotes real prices from ,like it or not, the worlds biggest rare soul record forum.

I've never owned a price guide ,if i'm gonna buy something and i need a quick idea of price ..it's popsike ,soulsource search and current prices of gemm/musicstack .

Same with sales ,hence being stuck with loads of unwanted vinylbiggrin.gif

Off to cut down the pampas grass down....anyone any good ideas................g.gif please don't say set it on fire laugh.gif

Social source share

65 was the sell price ken, i just offered it up...........an i bin rolled up in that old carpet an pushed down the hill sooooooooooo many times biggrin.gif

Nice one Ezzie biggrin.gif

Social source share

Popsike is better than someone's price guide ...it quotes real prices from ,like it or not, the worlds biggest rare soul record forum.

I've never owned a price guide ,if i'm gonna buy something and i need a quick idea of price ..it's popsike ,soulsource search and current prices of gemm/musicstack .

Off to cut down the pampas grass down....anyone any good ideas................g.gif please don't say set it on fire laugh.gif

I personally wouldn't use gemm (most on there are over priced, well those I seem to want) or popsike to price a record. I would rather use the price guide I think you are referring to...and have done. I would ask on the forums first, here or Rare Soul Forum. Popsike I would have a look but out of curiosity rather than anything else.

I've been toying with the idea of an interactive database where members can edit every section, titles, matrix numbers, writers producers, general info and prices...its just getting round to doing something about it.

Social source share

I personally wouldn't use gemm (most on there are over priced, well those I seem to want) or popsike to price a record. I would rather use the price guide I think you are referring to...and have done. I would ask on the forums first, here or Rare Soul Forum. Popsike I would have a look but out of curiosity rather than anything else.

I've been toying with the idea of an interactive database where members can edit every section, titles, matrix numbers, writers producers, general info and prices...its just getting round to doing something about it.

Good luck Chalky...sounds like a lot of hard work and dedication but results will be worth it ehthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Good luck Chalky...sounds like a lot of hard work and dedication but results will be worth it ehthumbsup.gif

the database of about 20,000 is already there, like I said it would be interactive and down to the members to build it. I'm not much use at the internet malarky so wouldn't know where to start really.

Social source share

Sorry, disagree completely, Popsike is completely useless as a price guide because it reports auction results. Two people bid a record up, auction price. Nothing to do with set sale price.

Social source share

EBAY AS A RULE ONLY LIST ITEMS FOR 7 DAYS SO ITS EASY TO MISS ITEMS AS WELL. IF THERES ONLY BEEN 6 GEORGE LEMONS ON EBAY IN ALL THE YEARS ITS BEEN GOING THATS NOT MANY ALTHO I DO KNOW FOR A FACT THERES BEEN A COUPLE MORE ON BUT THEY WERE IN THE $4000 BRACKETT. AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED ITS A £1500 TUNE ALL DAY. LOOK AT THE RANDOM COPY THAT SOLD FOR $1000 IT LOOKED DANCED ON TO ME AND THE SOUNDCLIP WASNT MUCH BETTER AND MOST OF THE OTHERS HAD GRUBBY LABELS OR HAD WRITING ON IT.

DAVE

Social source share

Sorry, disagree completely, Popsike is completely useless as a price guide because it reports auction results. Two people bid a record up, auction price. Nothing to do with set sale price.

Yeah but i'm buying not selling Petewicked.gif ...I use GEMM for sellinglaugh.gif

And i thought i also mentioned,i use popsike when i need a quick answer .....like an hr or so before auction ends .......

I'm hardly gonna ask on here and alert every Tom ,Dick or Pete there's a cheapie up for grabs on ebayshhh.gif

Social source share

That's £6.50 too much, rolleyes.gif they are all knackered 'cos the guy can't singmellow.gif

Gotta agree with Pete Smith on this one. Terrible record.hatsoff2.gif

Aaaww I wanted to say that. laugh.gif:D

Seriously I know its turning into a bit ofn obsession with me but does no-one else hear the Reeves & Mortimer pub singer similarity, especially at the end, and surely the story of how it was made backs up the boy can't sing for toffee (apologies if mention of the T word reduces the multitude of Man U fans to tears).

I dread to ask in case the answer is positive but did he make any more records before he went on his Scarface style shootout?

Social source share

Aaaww I wanted to say that. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously I know its turning into a bit ofn obsession with me but does no-one else hear the Reeves & Mortimer pub singer similarity, especially at the end, and surely the story of how it was made backs up the boy can't sing for toffee (apologies if mention of the T word reduces the multitude of Man U fans to tears).

I dread to ask in case the answer is positive but did he make any more records before he went on his Scarface style shootout?

That's it's charm. The sheer non-perfection of it. Brilliant!

I'm not aware of any more records he made. But just imagine there may be a tape or an acetate somewhere of a version of Fascinating Girl with barrel organ accompaniment :wicked:

Phil

Social source share

I'm not aware of any more records he made. But just imagine there may be a tape or an acetate somewhere of a version of Fascinating Girl with barrel organ accompaniment :wicked:

Phil

Sounds like a case of the "emperors new clothes" to me.

After that recording he should have been taken out the back and shot, to stop the cats whining.:rolleyes:

Social source share

Phil

There are other George Lemons recordings, Phil. Goldmine padded a couple of Ron Murphy-inspired CDs in the 90s with a couple of outtakes from the "Fascinating Girl" sessions. There is a toe-curling rendition "Uphill Climb To The Bottom" which manages to make his vocal on FG seem like the work of Luciano Pavarotti.

For all its shortcomings I've always had a sneaking regard for "Fascinating Girl": it certainly has a charm and personality all of its own. Add the mysterious circumstances surrounding its release and the vocalist himself and it's an intriguing record. I don't know if I would buy it at any price, but I certainly don't mind hearing it occasionally.

Social source share

Whats all the fuzz about...ebay result quite rightly reflects its current price. I sold my last two copies at nearly exactly this price. One was condition wise teh same, the other slightly better.

So often it happened and continues to happen that high end results have no influence at all on future auctions anyway. I can recall so many cases were copies which came on later on ebay went for significantly less than their predecessors...

Social source share

Gareth I have been struggling mentally all weeekend with your confession that you can listen to FG without wanting to murder anyone around you, but thinking your otherwise flawless taste should make me forgive you, but you have really crossed the line by unleashing this montrosity to the nation, a horror of all horrors!

I really feel I must apologise to all pub singers for even remotely connecting them to Lemons scary lack of anything remotely recognisable as a human voice!

Re the shooting comment not sure if that was a joke or not, but think that may not have been the best approach to get rid of him as some obviously music loving detroit policeman found to his cost!

Social source share

Gareth I have been struggling mentally all weeekend with your confession that you can listen to FG without wanting to murder anyone around you, but thinking your otherwise flawless taste should make me forgive you, but you have really crossed the line by unleashing this montrosity to the nation, a horror of all horrors!

I really feel I must apologise to all pub singers for even remotely connecting them to Lemons scary lack of anything remotely recognisable as a human voice!

Re the shooting comment not sure if that was a joke or not, but think that may not have been the best approach to get rid of him as some obviously music loving detroit policeman found to his cost!

It was meant as a joke, wasn't aware of that. Ignorance is bliss:unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert