Hermann

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 46
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Played both sides of this about 10 Years ago at Albrighton, never managed to find or see another copy in all that time - good luckthumbsup.gif

Des Parker

...and then you foolishly traded it with me for £400 worth of junk :thumbsup:

Craig Moerer recently sold the 2nd known copy for just shy of $1600 to a well known New York collector/DJ.

I know of a few buyers with very deep pockets looking for a copy, so best save up a decent wedge for when (if) the next copy comes up for sale :hatsoff2: .

Sorry to say that mines going nowhere for the time being.... :thumbsup:

To add to the topic, does anybody have any info (Artist/Title?) on another 45 from this label, Bump's 1502

Edited by Mace
Social source share

...and then you foolishly traded it with me for £400 worth of junk :lol:

Craig Moerer recently sold the 2nd known copy for just shy of $1600 to a well known New York collector/DJ.

I know of a few buyers with very deep pockets looking for a copy, so best save up a decent wedge for when (if) the next copy comes up for sale :lol: .

Sorry to say that mines going nowhere for the time being.... :yes:

To add to the topic, does anybody have any info (Artist/Title?) on another 45 from this label, Bump's 1502

Hey, I know this all, tried as well to win the auctioned copy ... and no worries about my pockets, they are deep enough to afford the 45, otherwise I would not offer top cash.

Social source share

Hey, I know this all, tried as well to win the auctioned copy ... and no worries about my pockets, they are deep enough to afford the 45, otherwise I would not offer top cash.

Hi Hermann.

I'm not doubting you would offer a good price.

However, I know all 3 top bidders on this auction, the 3rd highest bid was $1386.

The 4th bidder bid $700.

Thats a helluva difference between 3rd and 4th, and I know for a fact that the 2nd and 3rd bidders are desperate to get this record and will more than likely bid much higher next time.

There are also a few other guys who pay big money for this type of sound that missed the auction.

Now most people chasing this record know who it is (I had it covered up for well over a year), you can be sure they won't miss the next copy, and max bids will be increased next time to allow for this fact........hence my comment about having a decent wedge of cash available...not insinuating you could not afford it, but moreso that if another came on the market, or one of the 2 known copies were offered for sale, it could well fetch a lot more than CMs recent auction.

Good luck in finding one :good:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Yep Top Track... I had my hopes to win it but yes but no but....

You can hear

The tune is a bit too "popcornish" for my liking but has a very good R&B beat of course. Add to that the jazzy side of Gil Bernal who is a famous jazz saxophonist and you get a very good popcorn/new breed kinda tune...not enough for me to pay the asked sum though. I was thinking about to invest 600 USD for its rarity and oddity...LOL!

Social source share

You can hear

The tune is a bit too "popcornish" for my liking but has a very good R&B beat of course. Add to that the jazzy side of Gil Bernal who is a famous jazz saxophonist and you get a very good popcorn/new breed kinda tune...not enough for me to pay the asked sum though. I was thinking about to invest 600 USD for its rarity and oddity...LOL!

Add to that the fact it's on 'Bumps' Blackwells own small but increasingly significant label, is much rarer than Jimmy Phillips and has a great flip....$600 seems a paltry amount.

Don't tell Des, but I'd have given him £800 for it when he offered it to me for £400 :thumbsup::lol::lol:

Social source share

Add to that the fact it's on 'Bumps' Blackwells own small but increasingly significant label, is much rarer than Jimmy Phillips and has a great flip....$600 seems a paltry amount.

Don't tell Des, but I'd have given him £800 for it when he offered it to me for £400 shhh.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Sure, Artie Bumps Blackwell..thats why I said oddity. But to pay more than 600 USD I really have to "love" a tune. Still who evber likes this kinda popcorn-ish R&B sure had would have had a "bargain" at 600 USD. And yes, I was thinking on the very same guy. The one you think I was on about seems to have won the Magnetics instead ;-)

Social source share

Good job you have both. I thought you had asked my opion about the third one on Bumps..

Marc, I thought you knew the info on the 'unknown' Bumps release 1502.

Were you referring to Jimmy Phillips when you mentioned Stevie Z?

If so, that is not the 'missing' number from the discography.

To clarify, discography of label to date....

1500 - The Jangos - Jango Rock / Twist ( instro with steel drums...one went unsold on ebay for $20 a few months back...I heard both sides and it was pretty painful. Link below...oh, and of course I emailed the seller to ask if he had any other Bumps 45s )

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220499974402

1501 - Gil Bernal - The Dogs / James

1502 - ?? (looking for info on this one)

1503 - Peaches - Please Don't Take My Man / I'm Living In A Dream

1504 - The Five Knights - She's My Baby / Dark Was The Knight

B6404 - Jimmy Phillips - She Belongs To Me / Show Me (don't know why the numbers change at this point?)

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Marc, I thought you knew the info on the 'unknown' Bumps release 1502.

Were you referring to Jimmy Phillips when you mentioned Stevie Z?

If so, that is not the 'missing' number from the discography.

To clarify, discography of label to date....

1500 - The Jangos - Jango Rock / Twist ( instro with steel drums...one went unsold on ebay for $20 a few months back...I heard both sides and it was pretty painful. Link below...oh, and of course I emailed the seller to ask if he had any other Bumps 45s )

https://cgi.ebay.com/...em=220499974402

1501 - Gil Bernal - The Dogs / James

1502 - ?? (looking for info on this one)

1503 - Peaches - Please Don't Take My Man / I'm Living In A Dream

1504 - The Five Knights - She's My Baby / Dark Was The Knight

B6404 - Jimmy Phillips - She Belongs To Me / Show Me (don't know why the numbers change at this point?)

sorry no, I mixed up 1502 and 1503. Thanks for clarifying and posting the discog.

Social source share

Is it really wise to boast about how you intend to win an auction at any cost? What's then to prevent someone from putting in a bid of, say, $10,000 (or pounds!) and really making you, ahem, dig deep??

I was only joking, to tell the truth I won't even bid as high as I did a couple months ago next time it'll be on auction, firstly becaue 99% I won't be able to afford a bid like that again (my last one was so high just because I sold a rare record for 750 euro just some days before).

Anyway, I think that now everybody's heard it on Craig Moerer's auction, it'll go massive and chances for me to get it will be very few. rolleyes.gif

Awesome,awesome record and, IMO, much better than Jimmy Phillips!

Social source share

wicked.gifI was the second highest bidder on the one on ebay, and I won't miss the next one.. wicked.gif

i was bidder 15 haha! i never expected it to go this high & didnt know it was an absolute rare gem , i had about 170 on it hahaha , very naive of me !! great record though , loses its way for 10 secs in the middle with dreery singing but gets right back on track , wouldnt say its better than jimmy phillips & j.t parker though! all are belters in their own right :-)

Social source share

I didn't know exactly the theme but i guessed it wasn't really about actual dogs.......unlike this little gem which actually IS about chickens.

https://cgi.ebay.com/FUNK-45:-JOE-TEX-'Chicken-Crazy'-NM-DJ-1969---LISTEN!_W0QQitemZ260554199100QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100219?IMSfp=TL100219123017r15308#ht_1216wt_1167

Social source share

I didn't know exactly the theme but i guessed it wasn't really about actual dogs.......unlike this little gem which actually IS about chickens.

https://cgi.ebay.com/FUNK-45:-JOE-TEX-'Chicken-Crazy'-NM-DJ-1969---LISTEN!_W0QQitemZ260554199100QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100219?IMSfp=TL100219123017r15308#ht_1216wt_1167

I've heard a rumour Steve Thomas has a few 'questionable' 45s about sheep.... :lol:whistling.gif:lol:

Social source share

It's actually a political song about protesters/riots...'the dogs' being the police.

The other side 'James' is about the struggle for a black guy to be accepted into a 'white' educational facility.

I believe it's about the actual, literal, fanged and furry dogs that the police would unleash on black protesters in those bad old days:

https://tinyurl.com/q55ul5

And James would be James Meredith, the first black student at the University of Mississippi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Meredith

Social source share

I believe it's about the actual, literal, fanged and furry dogs that the police would unleash on black protesters in those bad old days:

https://tinyurl.com/q55ul5

And James would be James Meredith, the first black student at the University of Mississippi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Meredith

You may well be right on the dogs info.

The reference to hoses being used etc led me to believe that the 'dogs' reference was a derogatory name for the police ...especially as the last fading line of the song says something like 'look out for that big fat one...'.....hard to imagine a german sheppard police dog being big and fat, but maybe it sneaked one too many of it's handlers doughnuts (donuts shades.gif ) :yes:

The James Meredith info is spot on, the song specifically refers to the University of Oxford, Mississippi.

Interesting, though somewhat startling history from a mere 50 years ago.

Thanks for links.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I know I'm not the only one, though maybe the only one to admit thus far in public, but I really think this 45 is nothing more than 'alright'. Nice enough if formuleric pattern and a poor, poppy vocal - even more so on the B-side! Then again, I am of the opinion that JT Parker is also a highly over-rated bore of a record!!

Social source share

just got the peaches track on bumps off ted and linda................is it rare? ezzie

ok i will answer my own question........ted says it is, its gud thats for sure , right up my street. thats why im askin on here ..........to confirm my main mans opinion, come on mace let me know, or did ted get it from you???????? :D ez ..........as i have said before some form of owner logbook would be a very interesting thing to have with some of these discs...

Social source share

I know I'm not the only one, though maybe the only one to admit thus far in public, but I really think this 45 is nothing more than 'alright'. Nice enough if formuleric pattern and a poor, poppy vocal - even more so on the B-side! Then again, I am of the opinion that JT Parker is also a highly over-rated bore of a record!!

I respect your comment of course, altough I think exactly the opposite, infact in the past I wrote in another forum that I rate this as "one of the 3 best r&b records I've ever heard", I'm still more covincend about that now! thumbup.gif

Someone could think that I'm somehow fascinated by its rarity and the fact it has been covered for a year or so, but to tell the truth the first time I've heard it on Mace's cd (which had some other outstanding tracks on it, like Jon Tee, JT Parker and many others), this one was the track that hit me more than the others, infact I suddenly send him an email to ask him if I had one, to discover it was covered up and megarare too! rolleyes.gif

I personally love the rhythm, never heard anything similar, it's got a reggae feeling (am I the only one thinking so??) and everyone I know who heard it (and I mean people that don't listen to soul music also!) tought it was brilliant!

Social source share

ok i will answer my own question........ted says it is, its gud thats for sure , right up my street. thats why im askin on here ..........to confirm my main mans opinion, come on mace let me know, or did ted get it from you???????? biggrin.gif ez ..........as i have said before some form of owner logbook would be a very interesting thing to have with some of these discs...

Hi Ezzie, Teds copy didn't come from me, I sold my copy of Peaches to Phil Saxe about a year or so ago.

It's quite a tough 45 to find, though it seems to be the most common release on the label.

Good femme R&B. :lol:

Social source share

Hi Ezzie, Teds copy didn't come from me, I sold my copy of Peaches to Phil Saxe about a year or so ago.

It's quite a tough 45 to find, though it seems to be the most common release on the label.

Good femme R&B. thumbsup.gif

cheers,,,,,,,,,,only teasing bout that mate, cu lifeline i spect, ez

Social source share

You're not on your own...I know lots of people that don't like it.

They just can't be arsed to waste 5 minutes of their life typing posts about records they don't like. :lol:

Social source share

You're not on your own...I know lots of people that don't like it.

They just can't be arsed to waste 5 minutes of their life typing posts about records they don't like. :lol:

Ouch!

Though to be fair saying "i don't like" is about as valid as saying "i like" imo. And so I thought I'd make some contribution towards balance!

Social source share

• 3 months later...