Sitting In The Park Chanteurs / Presidents Interview

boba

Hi. Today on my radio show I interviewed Bert Bowen, an original member of the Chanteurs and the Presidents, the group that evolved into the Chilites. Bert grew up on the South Side of Chicago in the Woodlawn neighborhood. He formed a group called the Five Wrens in grammar school (along with future Chanteur / Chilite Eugene Record) after running into some kids and joining them "doowopping" near Washington Park. Although they were only 12 and 13 years old, the Five Wrens got a manager and did a professional show at the Trianon Ballroom at 62nd and Cottage Grove.

After about a year the Five Wrens broke up and a new group, the Chanteurs, formed out of other members who sang near Washington Park. The Chanteurs included Eugene Record and Bert Bowen, along with Robert Earl Lester ("Squirrel"), Clarence Johnson, and Eddie Reed. The Chanteurs performed regularly around the South Side. The Chanteurs also had a rival group, the Desideros (which included Eddie Sullivan and future Chilites Marshall Thompson and Creadel Jones) that they regularly battled around the corner of 65th and Woodlawn.

After singing together for 4-5 years, the Chanteurs eventually got together with manager Leo Austell. Bert had been in and out of the group several times and Austell sought out a more permenent member to replace Bowen. Austell brought in Sollie McElroy (previously of the Flamingos and Moroccos) to sing lead with the group and recorded "Wishing well" / "New rocking baby" which was released on the Lasalle record label in 1961. Another Chanteurs record, "I do what you want me to do", was cut and acetates of the record exist but it's not clear whether it was actually pressed.

Sollie stayed with the group only for about a year before Bert rejoined. The group changed their name to the Presidents after Bert rejoined and recorded a record on Mercury -- "Pots and Pans" / "The Toast". The record received some local play and the group even did a promotional show with other bigger Mercury artists. Unfortunately the record failed to break nationally.

Bert left the group to focus on his career and raising his family. The Presidents changed their name back to the Chanteurs and had their biggest hit with "Grizzly Bear". The Chanteurs eventually broke up and members joined members of the Desideros to form the Hi-Lites who eventually became the Chi-Lites.

You can check out the interview at the bottom of my interviews page at:

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

thanks for your interest,

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source