The Chimes Beginning Of My Life

Guest daz mycroft

• Replies 41
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

just got hold of The chimes begining of my life on e bay how can i tell if its a reproduction or not ps i have paid a tenner for it

Thats the going rate Dazsmile.gif

Cant for the life of me see why anyone would repro it.

Like a lot of people you just can't believe you got your hands on such a great record for a tennerbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Chimes and chymes are not the same group, are they?......cause this one is also pretty nice.

THE CHYMES - MY BABY'S GONE AWAY - DOWN TO EARTH -

Edited by Preben
Social source share

Chicago at it's best, good on Cliff for playing the life out of it, price should never matter when putting together a DJ set, sadly so often it does.

Dave

sad but true,,,,great sound btw :lol:

Social source share

Chimes and chymes are not the same group, are they?......cause this one is also pretty nice.

THE CHYMES - MY BABY'S GONE AWAY - DOWN TO EARTH -

Yes same group and they are also the Star Tel's who's "falling in love with you girl" lamarr is another one that sounds way way more expensive than its price tag. I have all the singles they recorded bought from Paul Capon in 95 for £20 each.

Theres a bit about Al Bunky Shepards involvment with the group and lables in Robert Pruters Chicago Soul book.

Social source share

What a wonderful tune whistling.gif availability seems to be the key and there are loads of them about.

People said that about the Philharmonics on soulin a £5 soulpack filler all day long. Now look £40+ now and they were every where

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Indeed. Craig Moerer alone has got 21 M- copies on his site. Priced too expensive in my opinion at $35 each (£22), but at least it's instantly available to anyone who might be intersted:

https://www.recordsby...?keywords=86429

Sebastian, I might be a bit dim here (not for the first time) but how do you know the quantities, in this case 21 copies, CM has in stock?

Social source share

Sebastian, I might be a bit dim here (not for the first time) but how do you know the quantities, in this case 21 copies, CM has in stock?

Write some insane amount (1000 for example) in the box on your "shopping cart" page where you specify how many copies you want to buy, when you click "Update Qty" the next page will state "You requested 1000 items, but only xx were available".

I once did this with Parliaments "Don't Be Sore At Me" because I could use a couple of copies... I put 300 in the amount box and I didn't get a warning message. It turned out he had 327 copies in stock! :thumbsup: He's now down to only 80...

Edit: Tommy beat me to it. :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Write some insane amount (1000 for example) in the box on your "shopping cart" page where you specify how many copies you want to buy, when you click "Update Qty" the next page will state "You requested 1000 items, but only xx were available".

I once did this with Parliaments "Don't Be Sore At Me" because I could use a couple of copies... I put 300 in the amount box and I didn't get a warning message. It turned out he had 327 copies in stock! :ohmy: He's now down to only 80...

Edit: Tommy beat me to it. :D

Thanks guys, really useful thumbsup.gif

Social source share

There used to be hundreds and hundreds of copies of this in the basement to the Out of the Past record store in Chicago (along with the other releases on the label). But dried up some now, most left are warped or water damaged. Never did find copies of the Kings of Soul issue there but know that others did..

Play spot the "Down to Earth's":

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v623/163/25/621752716/n621752716_1196655_9907.jpg

Social source share

There used to be hundreds and hundreds of copies of this in the basement to the Out of the Past record store in Chicago (along with the other releases on the label). But dried up some now, most left are warped or water damaged. Never did find copies of the Kings of Soul issue there but know that others did..

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v623/163/25/621752716/n621752716_1196655_9907.jpg

They are still there - I pulled every copy out of the boxes - discarded the water damaged ones, then put each copy on the deck to see if there was a warp in it - out of the "hundreds" of copies, i think I pulled the last 15 mint unwarped ones.

Still worth £15 of anybodies money though.

Social source share

https://photos-f.ak.f...196655_9907.jpg

The first time I went in there i couldn't believe my eyes, thought all my Xmases had come early, until I started going through it. Was clear it had been well picked over. But I did find 3 Kings Of Soul issues, but they were somewhat warped, but still played fine, still have one.

There were also some great LP's and 12" there, these seemed to be less picked over. Found lost of original still sealed LP's and copies of Frankie Nevies and Tony Middleton on 12". Last time I was there the place looked like nearly a 1/3rd of the stock had been sold, when compared with my first visit.

Over the years got to know Marie and her husband verywell, the stock in the basement came from a distribution company that they owned and the combined stock of several other shops they used to have around the city. At one time there was some good stuff upstairs as well, but unfortunatly they had some guy working for them that went through the stock over a number of years and walked a lot of it out the back door. He was there a few years before they realised what he was doing and sacked him.

Dave

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

THE CHIMES - THE BEGINNING OF THE MY LIFE - DOWN TO EARTH -

Chimes_Scan.jpg

How could anyone not love a record that features "background music by the Soul Crusaders Recording Orchestra"....:thumbup:

While we're talking 'Down To Earth', how about a show of support for my favourite-and-best record on the label, General Crook's incredible "Till Then"?

Social source share

https://photos-f.ak.f...196655_9907.jpg

I think I may of mentioned it to you Karl when I was there, here's a load from that basement - https://www.independe..._the_past-7.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!