Gary Rushbrooke Spins

Guest mark hanson

• Replies 63
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

...I also associate the following with him, but couldn't be sure if he played them first, but that's where I heard them first

Bobbie Smith

Twilights

Cassadons

Ree Flores

Frank Beverly - Want To Feel I'm Wanted

Fugitives - Good Lovin'

Naturals

Unless of course, you know different

I remember Guy Hennigan carrying Ree Flores around the back bar at Wigan, pretty much before it had been played anywhere. Maybe 77/78? In fact we gave each other a bunch of 45s to take home and listen too and that was definitely one that he was bigging up. I thought it was ok but never really got it until a few weeks later when I heard him play it at an All dayer - probably Todmorden. I recall being one of about four people dancing. One of the records I let him have listen to was "I'm Gonna Hurt You" by Lost Soul on Raven. Don't think he was too keen and I eventually sold it to Tim Ashebende. Just proof that Guy had better taste/vision than me back in the day I reckon :thumbup:

Sorry - went a bit off topic. so, when/where exactly did Gary rushbrook play Ree Flores then?

Social source share

I remember Guy Hennigan carrying Ree Flores around the back bar at Wigan, pretty much before it had been played anywhere. Maybe 77/78? In fact we gave each other a bunch of 45s to take home and listen too and that was definitely one that he was bigging up. I thought it was ok but never really got it until a few weeks later when I heard him play it at an All dayer - probably Todmorden. I recall being one of about four people dancing. One of the records I let him have listen to was "I'm Gonna Hurt You" by Lost Soul on Raven. Don't think he was too keen and I eventually sold it to Tim Ashebende. Just proof that Guy had better taste/vision than me back in the day I reckon :thumbup:

Sorry - went a bit off topic. so, when/where exactly did Gary rushbrook play Ree Flores then?

He used to spin it all the time at Leicester Nighter

Social source share

Guest mark hanson

Wayne this was most definitely Guy Hennigan's Albanians C/U for the Preston Cybermen a.k.a. Gaz Kellet

Mark

Apologies Wayne, Getting my records mixed up. That was The Masquraders - That's The Same Thing. So I guess Gary must have played The Fascinators as The Magnetics.

Thought it odd you had it wrong, and all the time it was me.

Social source share

Guest mark hanson

Think i got a new one that i seem to remember him hammering to fook at leicester......The New Yorkers - ?? Dont want to be your fool?? TAC FUL

No that was the kiddy fiddler vicar's

Social source share

Guest mark hanson

Strange? i got mine off Tim at the same time! incidently i bought Ree Flores,Lonnie Russ, Lee Bates, Sandy Wynns(Venus) on Doc and a few others off Gary..............Julie went ape! 2fuk++ selling his best records!!

It was a real shame when he stopped dj­ng as the scene lost two characters at one blow!!

Steve

and he played Mr Pitiful for a while.

Street scene-The Elgins

Aint that enough to make a good man cry-forgotten who by but think it was on a blue label!thumbup.gif

Hi Steve, Is this the Steve Smith who I knew from Kettering etc?

I thought it was a shame too when he sold up. By the time I had a look at what was being sold all I got was a Pointer Sisters demo. Are you referring to Mr. Pitiful on Josie? AKA Jerry Williams.

Talking of people being missed, if you are thee SS then the day you stopped djing was a sad one too.

You always supported my Loughborough do's.

Social source share