Northern Soul Record Fair

Guest 1STFRIEARL

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Its already been done by Johnny and Des Parker a couple of times, was pretty successful too.

Soul-source? The problem with everyone on soul source is that they believe that everyone who is into soul must be a member of soul source. Believe me, a vast majority are not, most do not have the time or the inclanation to join, so this wouldn`t be a factor as far as I am concerned.

The web? maybe....but people still enjoy getting together and looking at records socially.

Chris

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

DO YOU THINK ANYBODY WOULD GO TO A NORTHERN SOUL RECORD FAIR, OR IS IT A NO NO WITH THE INTERNET REVOLUTION AND SOUL SOURCE

Why the restiction to being a Northern Soul Record Fair. There's a whole lotta soul out there that has nothing to do with Northern. Deep, southern, sweet, funk etc etc and they all have their collectors and rarities. Why not just a SOUL record fair or better still a Black Music Record Fair.

Social source share

Why the restiction to being a Northern Soul Record Fair. There's a whole lotta soul out there that has nothing to do with Northern. Deep, southern, sweet, funk etc etc and they all have their collectors and rarities. Why not just a SOUL record fair or better still a Black Music Record Fair.

Can't wait, when and where is it ? thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Can't wait, when and where is it ? thumbup.gif

Round Greenies house, tea time tomorrow laugh.gif

Sorry mate, got ya mixed up with somebody else rolleyes.gif

Too many Stevesoul, Soulsteves

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

need some blue-eyed soul too :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

they used to have some in a hotel in Blackpool at some famous Northern soul nights, i would go to one but you can go to any record fair and pick up Northern soul if there are dealers as i been to some in Peterborough and found up to 3 people selling some Soul music

Social source share

As I said above this thread is a little too weird for me, I've just posted something up in 'Look In Your Box' section which may be of interest here, having rather more time on my hands recently since the Butty van was stolen this is something that's been work in progress as it were, rather than sitting back feeling sorry for myself I tend to kick back and do something constuctive so subject to gaining support from record dealers etc. this event should take shape pretty quickly.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

mark,

the late chris savoury used to run black music record fairs in the late 70s/80s and they were always well attended. i distinctly remember going to them when they were held in the cavendish suite at the old vic in wolverhampton...it was like an aladdins cave!.....could be done now OF COURSE!!, but you might just as well be attending an antiques auction when you come to analyse the prices, very different today but on the whole, its reasonable to presume therE would still be bargains to be found....sounds like a CONTRADICTION OF TERMS DOSNT IT?.

rob.h

Social source share

The ones that Johnny & Myself did were good, and we'd probably do some more. The reason they were good and could be used as a blue print for future events of this type were

- We held them on a Tuesday night so getting a function room/back room of a pub for F*** all was no problem

- We let dealers turn up and go when they wanted, so no commitment to stay all night

- Free entry for buyers

- Free tables for dealers

- A set of decks, where dealers/ buyers can play out tunes that are for sale.

The feedback/support we had for these was fantastic. The problem with your traditional record fair is it DON'T WORK!!!!!! Firstly they're held on a Saturday or Sunday, when a lot of folk on the scene are going to/coming from events, or more so nowadays, can not really get a "pass" out from the other half to do a Day as well as a Night (whereas it's a bit easier to slip out for a couple of Hours on a Tuesday night) Also as a promoter of such an event you charge £20/£40 a table and what exactly is that paying for.............Use of a trestle table in a village hall? This could quite easily be construed as a bit of a scam, especially if your charging buyers to get in as well!!!!!! If you're going to charge me £20 or £40 to use a 6 foot table in a room that would normally NOT be in use, then can you GUARANTEE me that there will be healthy amount of customers through the door? Our Blueprint for a night when EVERYONE gained was a success, traditional record fairs are NOW just a bit of a "cash cow" for the promoters, and don't get continued support from the dealers they have charged, especially when we can set up at busy allnighters for absolutely NOTHING.

Des

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

i think its a great idea, as long as you host it over here in chicago whistling.gif

Been to some in the states, you got them, they seem to work well and are well attended,

I got some nice bits there, spoilt by prices guides at most stalls, but you can still barter over the price.

Tony.

Social source share

Been done before, back in the 80's use to have a stall at Black Music fairs around the country, remember doing Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Brixton (1st meet with Mark Bicknell) also the Steve Davies quick exit from the fight that started between a punter and stall holder, over a stolen record amazing.

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

Been done before, back in the 80's use to have a stall at Black Music fairs around the country, remember doing Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Brixton (1st meet with Mark Bicknell) also the Steve Davies quick exit from the fight that started between a punter and stall holder, over a stolen record amazing.

rember that well the stall holder (.... ........) being pulld of the record thief with a bear hug and kicking his legs whilst of the ground.

and steve hasty exit.

Social source share

The ones that Johnny & Myself did were good, and we'd probably do some more. The reason they were good and could be used as a blue print for future events of this type were

- We held them on a Tuesday night so getting a function room/back room of a pub for F*** all was no problem

- We let dealers turn up and go when they wanted, so no commitment to stay all night

- Free entry for buyers

- Free tables for dealers

- A set of decks, where dealers/ buyers can play out tunes that are for sale.

The feedback/support we had for these was fantastic. The problem with your traditional record fair is it DON'T WORK!!!!!! Firstly they're held on a Saturday or Sunday, when a lot of folk on the scene are going to/coming from events, or more so nowadays, can not really get a "pass" out from the other half to do a Day as well as a Night (whereas it's a bit easier to slip out for a couple of Hours on a Tuesday night) Also as a promoter of such an event you charge £20/£40 a table and what exactly is that paying for.............Use of a trestle table in a village hall? This could quite easily be construed as a bit of a scam, especially if your charging buyers to get in as well!!!!!! If you're going to charge me £20 or £40 to use a 6 foot table in a room that would normally NOT be in use, then can you GUARANTEE me that there will be healthy amount of customers through the door? Our Blueprint for a night when EVERYONE gained was a success, traditional record fairs are NOW just a bit of a "cash cow" for the promoters, and don't get continued support from the dealers they have charged, especially when we can set up at busy allnighters for absolutely NOTHING.

Des

Des, I did just that when I ran the Northern Swap Meet some mumble, mumble, years back. I filled the place with all the serious dealers and most of the top amateur sellers, and many collectors with cash to spend and records to trade, because I charged money for tables and early doors admission, and then spent every penny of the money on advertising. I got the main dealers to put full page adverts in their lists on the weeks that ran up to it, put adverts in the fanzines of the era as well as write up's and adverts in Echoes and several regional newspapers to make sure I tried my best to reach stay at home collectors. For three months I flyered all the events that fitted the record collector side of the scene. Can't be sure but maybe 5000 flyers were put out by me, plus the dealers had loads off me to distribute. It was a lot of work, but every dealer told me they'd done very well in sales. One dealer did 1600 in sales in the first hour which is when I asked the general public to pay entry. This was on records in the 5-50 quid category which he told me were amongst the stuff he classed as unsellable. I don't remember if you came Des, but Adey had some tables?

I know it worked well because all the sellers and buyers were after me to run them on a monthly basis, which was my original idea, to move it around the regions on a regular calendar.

The reason i mention this is not to suggest your idea of doing it all for free is wrong, it's just that the way I did it using the money raised to ensure filling the room with the right people was a different way. If I'd heard about your and Johnny's record fair I might have come along and spent some money, but, and I'm being totally honest here, I didn't know about them, so as a buyer who regularly adds around 400 45's a year to my collection it didn't work doing it for free.

I'll accept that times are different now to when I ran the Swap Meet. It was before the mass of returnees to the scene and I think we were more together then and so it was easier to get the word out, but please always let me know when and if you do any more, whether they are free or not.

btw fond memories of the ones chris savoury ran back in the day @ the Cavendish which Rob mentioned earlier. I still have the thing on Soul Hawk that has recently gone popular, bought that day for 50p from a certain Mr Croasdell if memory serves. It was great fun label collecting detroit in that era. Also got a Ray merrell on the (imho) much tougher issue that same day for 6 quid, which was big money for me !! Luckily I'd managed to not give Tim Ash all my money that day, but had some brill stuff off him - happy days ! so yeah I'm always up for a good record fair themed around our music, best thing is that if you get all the dealers to go they can resolve disputes with people who only normally deal with them mail order...

Social source share

John, happy days, but before the days of internet, I'm afraid. If you ran it now, you would NOT get that amount of people, those were days when paper lists were the order of the day, what you did was groundbreaking. It's simple economics, unless you can get people through the door NOW (not back then) which Roger Banks, Adey Pierce (with his Record Fairs in Manchester) proved to be difficult (and they did an excellent job of promoting), you're taking the piss out of dealers, by charging them £20 - £40 a table, if there's no F***er in the room, and they barely cover their costs. Listen, I want to sell records, and I would love this idea to be a success - but, maybe 10 Years ago, eh!

Des

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Can't beat record fairs, been to a few 'Vinyl' ones recently in Sheffield, all music genres, very dissapointing, i recall the Leadmill in Sheffield had some good fairs in the mid 80's, big venue loads of dealers, also recall fair at New Century building one Saturday in Manchester some years back. But you can't beat a soul only type event, saves looking through loads of crap etc. the date needs to be just at the start of a month, wages etc, no use having one in the middle of a month for me.

Social source share

Gotta agree with Des.

I was at a Black Music fair in London last year with Dave when he was over from US.

Hardly any customers at all.

From a punter's view no bargains at all. I bought nowt all day. Dave had cheap stuff but sold most to other dealers before doors opened, which of course they them marked up ready for the mugs.

This wasn't a "Northern" fair [altho NS 45s were there] so maybe slightly different dynamic. I guess swap meet take on it might drum up some interest but as Des indicated the days of getting bodies through the door in search of a good deal are probably long gone.

ROD

Social source share

Been to some in the states, you got them, they seem to work well and are well attended,

I got some nice bits there, spoilt by prices guides at most stalls, but you can still barter over the price.

Tony.

Yeah but who likes digging when all the records are all over priced, its all about second hand shops, bargains galore thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Bearsoul site thumbup.gif

Cheers !! On the subject of Vinyl etc we've certainly got an Ace room for a bit of selling'trading at 'Tatse Of Honey' If Dealers want to give it a good owd go at next All-Dayer they're welcome to contact me ! As Andy has said it's an ideal venue though we will still have DJs playing upstairs as always ! Space would be limited so best to contact me !

George Mahood and myself have already spoken about this and we'll certainly have sales boxes on the day ! No charge for space but pay entrance would help to our costs !

PM or email bearsoul@lycos.com or text / call 07508 660371

Chris Morgan

Social source share

Guest Stretford

DO YOU THINK ANYBODY WOULD GO TO A NORTHERN SOUL RECORD FAIR, OR IS IT A NO NO WITH THE INTERNET REVOLUTION AND SOUL SOURCE

Theres nothing like the smell of vinyl and old cardboard and sleeve paper to get the senses reeling.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert