That Driving Beat

Guest The Truth Hurts

Guest The Truth Hurts

thumbup.gifHello ,visited this venue for the first time last night and i have to say what a refreshing change .The promoters and venue must be supported to further establish this event in Leeds ,it was what it claimed to be ,something for everyone ,from all genres accross the board .I had a great night ,thanks to the promoters and dj,s .I am looking forward to the next one now and eagerly waiting for the playlists to be posted .This will grow and grow and i believe will draw in more and more due to the broad attraction of the playlists and the warm welcoming people who were there . This is what the scene is all about biggrin.gif Thanks again

Warmest Regards

Martin Leach

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for those kind words martin and for starting the lookback thread.

I personally really enjoyed Friday night both from a music and people perspective.

Was great to see so many new faces, people travelling large distances, braving the weather, regular faces, young and not so young........a fine mix indeed.

I thought all the jocks on the night were great, and that's a genuine unbiased opinion! Each one seamed to sense what the crowd wanted and delivered to the dancefloor whilst still capturing the spirit and musical ethos we have at driving beat.

Although numbers were down a tad, still over 100 in and a steady flow of people coming in all night so who am I to argue with that :-)

Was good chatting to Trev, hope you recovered after a night on the town with cockney steve!

Great to see andy there for his first time at driving beat, same for claire. As always, D and kirsty making me laugh, Sarah over from Halifax and Mr Brady, always great banter! plus the many others who made it down. Apologies I didn't get round to you all to say hello but I really hope everyone keeps attending and making this night into something special.

Playlists from me to come.

Thanks again,

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank

IST time for us @That Driving Beat and impressed.

Younger crowd than many 'northern' event (which was refreshing good), vibrant atmosphere and good music mix - as it says on the tin.

Wonderful venue, much bigger than we expected, in the basement of an architecturally interesting (former clothing mill?) building.

Great sound system & wonderful sunken dance floor

Top marks to the promoters, the resident DJs and Steve Cato (guesting).

Our sort of place - quality through & through - we'll be back for sure good.gif .

Andy & Denise

My first time here too ... have to say from the moment we arrived I loved the venue. Started with drinks in the bar upstairs & then went downstairs where the atmosphere was superb ...

Top music played all night by all the djs... most defo something here for everyone ..

Everyone was very friendly , lovely to meet Azza & Rich... Wendy & your fella ( really sorry can't remember his name !! ) its old age !!! , Lee (Spirit ) wot a lovely guy thanku for taking time to chat to me ... Pat at last we meet & will defo be at Rugby to support you in April , enjoy Hamburg & Happy Birthday..Vicky, Ian & Dee..thanku for putting up with me ..

& finally Kirsty S who I'd never met before but you gave me a bed for the night so thanku chick for a fab night & introducing me to a new venue & being so welcoming ..

Well I must have behaved coz she said I could come back again next month so hopefully I'll defo be back , can't wait !!!! ....

See you in March !!!

Claire xxxx

What a great night!

This was the absolute antithesis(oooh get her!!) of an ATB soul night (That tired mixture of the same oldies, beer,crap clothes, pointless talc and suspicion of anyone under 40 coupled with an obsession with car parking facilities and chairs).

What we got instead was a delightfully mixed crowd (young mods, first timer couples in their 20's,groups of friends, clubbers, musically aware students and soulies). We also got music that would give the best nighters a run for there money, great sets from all the DJ's, a busy dancefloor full of good looking and well dressed people!

The venue is smart, cool and in the arty quarter of the city centre but far enough away to put the swineish multitudes off!

I liked the way people were still drifting in at 1.00.

I liked the way that people who were probably there for the first time got straight on the floor.

I am from Yorkshire and I know what I like!

I liked That Driving Beat!

Comrade Moustache (AKA ZORO)

Enjoyed myself although chose very unsuitable shoes...didn't know that I'd want to dance that often or I would have chosen more sensibly!! Think I heard 3 or else 4 Darrow Fletcher records so that's alright by me!! Well done Rich and co:thumbup:

Really pleasing to see great feedback from such knowledgeable people, thanks again for travelling over to our event.

My sets below. Was great to double deck with eddie at the start, then warm the floor up with an injection of pace before our guest for the night, steve cato.

Spot 1

Hollis Floyd - Black poncho is coming

Denny Belline - It happens that way

Wilson Pickett - Let me be your boy

Luther Ingram - You got to give love to get love

Lewis Clark - I need you baby

Darrow Fletcher - The way of a man

Chris Clark - Loves gone bad

Otis Redding - Look at that girl

Chocolate Boys - Voltaire pier

John Bowie - You're gonna miss a good thing

Jackie Ross - Trust in me

Afro Blues Quintet - La la la la la (LP only)

Set 2

Natural 4 - I thought you were mine

Josephine Taylor - Is it worth a chance

Tomorrows Men - Who's that lady

Gabon ft Dee Dee Bridgewater - Into my soul

Frank Popp Ensemble - Breakaway

Linda Jones - I just can't live my life

Darrow Fletcher - What good am I

Shane Martin - I need you

Martha Reeves - Show me the way

Isley Brothers - Why when the love is gone

Originals - Suspicion

Esquires - How could it be

Two Fellows - Stop don't give up on love

Rhonda Davis - Can you remember

Johnny Sayles - I can't get enough

Blue Notes - Hot chills and cold thrills

Righteous Bros - Its up to you (LP only)

James Brown - Why did you take your love (LP only)

Perhaps a few too many tried and trusted in that second spot but seemed to be what the dancefloor wanted and that point in time which is what it's all about.

Roll on March when we have Mr Lifeline himself, CHALKY, as our guest. Can't wait!!

Azza

Was another quality night! Great to see faces old (inc. Reg and Rich from Manchester) and new and thanks for the comments in this thread which does help make it all worthwhile :thumbsup:

Big thanks to my mate Steve Cato for guesting and playing a blinder as usual. He was crashing at my house and I nearly fell off my chair when we got back there at 3am ish and asked him what he wanted to drink. "Tea" was the reply!!!

Here's what I played over the two spots in no particular order:

The Quik - Bert's Apple Crumble - Deram UK

Tina Britt - Sookie Sookie - Veep

Montclairs - Hey You, Don't Fight It - Arch

Esther Phillips - Just Say Goodbye - Atlantic

Dusty Wilson - Can't Do Without You - Bronze

Summitts - I Can't Get Over Losing You - Dontee

Ray Barretto - Mercy Mercy Baby - Fania

Richard Berry - Have Love Will Travel - Flip

Claude Huey - Why Would You Blow It - Galaxy

Constellations - I Didn't Know How To - Gemini Star

Ruby - Feminine Ingenuity - Gold Token

Jock Mitchell - Not A Chance In A Million - Impact

Tommy Ridgley - My Love Gets Stronger - International City

Volumes - That Same Old Feeling - Impact

Chryslers with the Monarchs' Band - I'm Not Gonna Lose You - Je Jody

Beverley Ann Gibson - A Three Dollar Bill - Jubilee

Monique - If You Love Me - Maurci

Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got A Right - Mala

Johnny Jones - Soul Poppin' - Peachtree

Rose Brooks - I'm Moanin' - Soul City

Tonny Galla - In Love - Swan

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me - Veep

Cajun Hart - Gotta Find A Way - WB

Tony Troutman - What's The Use - Jerri

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love - Bell

Natural Four - Hanging On To A Lie - Boola Boola

The Gents - Love's Such A Beautiful Thing - Paramount

The Innersection - Let Me Love Yuh - Group 5

Looking forward to seeing you all there on March 26th as CHALKY will be guesting, so stick it in your diaires. We have more brilliant guests lined up for the coming months so prepare for an announcement shortly. April's is going to be something a little bit different to the norm, so watch this space!

Rich

As always we had a ball at the Driving Beat,it is both of our personal favourites.

First up a huge, huge thank you to the lovely Claire S who brought me flowers,champagne,cider & easter eggs just for letting her stay, what a lovely lady. Our Dee stays every weekend at my house & never had a single bunch of flowers off him,so he's now sleeping in the doghousewhistling.giflaugh.gif

Brought my non soulie friend along,who said it was the friendliest bunch of people she had ever met. Music wasnt her cup of tea though & asked what would happen if she asked for Whamwhistling.gif .

Colonel moustache it was lovely to see you again,but we've renamed you colonel,you looked so different.

See you again in Marchthumbup.gif

xx

Guest becchio

just love , love , love it here

great venue ,with wild and groovy people who are welcoming and friendly ,a great dancefloor with folks just freaking out and enjoying themselves on the dancefloor and off it ( always a good sign ) , you cant help but just get up and dance at this event because the musics upbeat and the atmosphere is so welcoming and party like .

fantastic music , truly across the board and with the odd left field thrown in .

great young (mostly) and confident resident djs who are not afraid to try something a bit different and always such great guest djs too

just a fantastic night out all round thumbup.gif

Edited by becchio

just love love love it here

great venue ,with wild and groovy people who are welcoming and friendly ,a great dancefloor with folks just freaking out and enjoying themselves on the dancefloor and off it ( always a good sign ) , you cant help but just get up and dance at this event because the musics upbeat and the atmosphere is so welcoming and party like .

fantastic music , truly across the board and with the odd left field thrown in .

great young and confident resident djs who are not afraid to try something a bit different and always such great guest djs too

just a fantastic night out all round thumbup.gif

I never saw ya Sarah!

Guest becchio

I never saw ya Sarah!

i was deffo there , er i think , er yes yes i was , deffo . yes i was . lol

bit tipsy tho

see ya next un thumbup.gif

Edited by becchio
Guest xsquadie

Not sure what I can add to all the above comments....Me and the little 'un have been taking a back seat from the nighter scene of late mainly due to the fact that about 90% of those attending seem to have forgotten that it is meant to be FUN!!! :chinstroke: Not something that is evident at this venue. We both look forward to the night and it hasnt dissapointed yet.

Great music policy, great venue but most of all great crowd...this puts many nighters to shame and long may it last. Great to see a lot of younger crowd giving the music and the dancefloor a real go..Just 1 grip.. NO DRINKS ON THE DANCEFLOOR PLEASE!! I very nearly necked myself a couple of times..

We have already booked the hotel for the next one.and I for one cant wait..Driving Beats is now very definatly on the must go list :good:

See you all down the cave for the next one

Just 1 grip.. NO DRINKS ON THE DANCEFLOOR PLEASE!! I very nearly necked myself a couple of times..

Can only apologise for that mate, entirely my fault. I normally put signs at the dancefloor entrance saying no drinks on the dancefloor. Forgot em this time.......not had that problem before so the silver lining from the dark cloud is the signs must work :-)

note firmly to self- don't forget the signs next month!

Soz once again

Azza

Thanks so much for the invite boys, was a bit under the weather but still had a nice time... Very nice venue and pleasing mixed crowd... Sorry i did not get the chance to talk to quite a few folk.. Nice to have a few freinds along in support :thumbup: ...

Strong residents line up and nice selection of sounds, ticked the boxes for me...

Thanks to Richie for putting us up, hope to be my normal party animal self again next time.. :thumbup:

Will be back for sure...

Lost my mobile again :thumbup: if any picked one up..

cheers

Steve...

Edited by little-stevie

As always we had a ball at the Driving Beat,it is both of our personal favourites.

First up a huge, huge thank you to the lovely Claire S who brought me flowers,champagne,cider & easter eggs just for letting her stay, what a lovely lady. Our Dee stays every weekend at my house & never had a single bunch of flowers off him,so he's now sleeping in the doghousewhistling.giflaugh.gif

Brought my non soulie friend along,who said it was the friendliest bunch of people she had ever met. Music wasnt her cup of tea though & asked what would happen if she asked for Whamwhistling.gif .

Colonel moustache it was lovely to see you again,but we've renamed you colonel,you looked so different.

See you again in Marchthumbup.gif

xx

Ah thanks Kirsty , what a really nice thing to say .. & my invitations of a bed for the night have just increased rapidly!!! ...

Sorry Dee, tho it did look a very comfy doghouse!!

Claire xxx

Guest RichEvans

Well done once again Azza an Rich.

Can't comment on early sets as didn't get down till late, but what I can comment on was the electric atmosphere when we did finally arrive.

As we walked down the stairs The Jokers was blaring out to a packed dancefloor, what more can you ask for?! As i say only caught the last two sets so can't comment on Steve Cato's guest slot but I was assured it was excellent. Mr Wainwright played some massive R&B and gritty uptempo tunes that had us straight on the floor.

To finish off Buckley slipped in some quality midtempo into his, as ever, top set. thumbup.gif

Had been out with many who have never experienced a soul night before, so was worried that they wouldn't enjoy themselves, but I was assured that they had a good time with a couple of them looking forward to the next one.

CONVERTED! get in.

Catch you soon,

Richthumbsup.gif

Cheers Paul, Leeds is calling you mate and you know it!!

Eddie has emailed me some of his tunes from Friday night. In no particular order and not his full set lists, here goes

jokers-soul sound

frankie beverly and butlers-because of my heart

chandlers-your love makes me lonely

cecil washington-i dont like to lose

herb ward-strange change

frankie karl-you should have held on

dee clark-thats my girl

wade flemmons-jeanette

rose bastiste-hit and run

silky hargreaves-keep lovin me like you do

art freeman-slippin around with you

the grey imprint-do you get the message

elbie parker-please keep away from me

zu zu man-zu zu blues band

joe bataan-gypsy woman

little flint-pain

the rocks-keep my woman home

johnny taylor-blues in the night

little eddie taylor-i had a good time

charles sheffield-its your voodoo working

otis lee-hard roe to hoe

ernie washington-lonesome shack

sherri taylor-hes the one who rings my bell

curley moore-you dont mean

al gardner-sweet baby

darrow fletcher-what have i got now

sam dees-lonely for you

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Paul, Leeds is calling you mate and you know it!!

Eddie has emailed me some of his tunes from Friday night. In no particular order and not his full set lists, here goes

jokers-soul sound

frankie beverly and butlers-because of my heart

chandlers-your love makes me lonely

cecil washington-i dont like to lose

herb ward-strange change

frankie karl-you should have held on

dee clark-thats my girl

wade flemmons-jeanette

rose bastiste-hit and run

silky hargreaves-keep lovin me like you do

art freeman-slippin around with you

the grey imprint-do you get the message

elbie parker-please keep away from me

zu zu man-zu zu blues band

joe bataan-gypsy woman

little flint-pain

the rocks-keep my woman home

johnny taylor-blues in the night

little eddie taylor-i had a good time

charles sheffield-its your voodoo working

otis lee-hard roe to hoe

ernie washington-lonesome shack

sherri taylor-hes the one who rings my bell

curley moore-you dont mean

al gardner-sweet baby

darrow fletcher-what have i got now

sam dees-lonely for you

Just reading these posts and playlist has made me quite exited about the next .AAone and i will defo give it a go sounds rite up my street

and looking forward to it Andy R Keighley