On The Soul Side @ The Loft Bar,bournemouth Uni,sat 27Th Feb

My first visit to the Loft Bar in Bournemouth won't be my last. A really great venue, perfect sized dance floor, loads of very comfotable seating and a room full of smiling happy people, just can't be beat :hatsoff2:

The 'hosts' at 'On The Soul Side' are the really warm and open 'Dave and Viv' who set the tone for the evening as soon as you walk through the door and just make you feel like you're going to have a perfect night out.

I was lucky enough to have been invited by Dave to get behind the 'decks' rather than in front ( which is where I belong :yes: ) and play an hour set early on between 8-30 and 9-30. I'm just a music lover not a real DJ :yes:

Didn't manage to get the patrons up and dancing with the 'across the board' mixture I was so happy to play for the first time but I could see the feet tapping and occasional knowing looks directed towards the decks. Though that could have just been indigestion :lol:

But that soon changed as the 'proper' DJ's took over and played a short set each followed by a longer set. First 'Chilli' did what 'Chilli' does best, plays to the dancers, and a mainly 70's and modern set kept a lot of people out of their seats and their feet moving on the dance floor. Followed by 'Matt' who really does have some awesome vinyl in his play box including some of those 'latin' flavoured hot numbers and he carried on where 'Chilli' had left off, keeping the dance floor full. Dave, on last, didn't disappoint either and playing some great classic sounds from the 60's kept the dancers hot and happy.

Really nice to see Chris T and Kerry, Mandy who looked wonderfully happy as she celebrated her 21st birthday and Danny still recovering from breaking his hip but still managing to get out and of course the motley crew who travelled down especially to give me a bit of support.

So anyhow here's my playlist :

Johnny & Expressions - Boys & Girls Together

Majors - Down In The Ghetto

Lee Williams & The Cymbals - A Girl From A Country Town

S.O.U.L. - This Time Around

Ledgends - Fear Not

Mamie Lee - I Can Feel Him Slipping Away

Goday Colbert - Baby I Like It

Raphael Saadiq - Love That Girl

Silky Hargreaves - Hurt By Love

Sunday - Ain't Got No Problems

Tutti Hill - He's A Lover

Big Joe Turner - Two Loves Have I

T.S.U. Toronadoes - Only Inside

Dramatics - All Because Of You

C.L. Blast - What Can I Do (When The Thrill Is Gone)

Pic & Bill - Talk About Love

Chimes - The Beginning Of My Life

Garland Green - Girl, I Love You

Nooney Rickett - Player, Play On

Willie Tee - First Taste Of Hurt

Marie Knight - You Lie So Well

Bernard Smith - Gotta Be A Reason

Myron & E - It's A Shame

A big thank you to Dave for letting me have my hour of fun and to all the others who had some kind words for my efforts :lol:

Edited by Oldfeet
  • Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My first visit to the Loft Bar in Bournemouth won't be my last. A really great venue, perfect sized dance floor, loads of very comfotable seating and a room full of smiling happy people, just can't be beat thumbsup.gif

The 'hosts' at 'On The Soul Side' are the really warm and open 'Dave and Viv' who set the tone for the evening as soon as you walk through the door and just make you feel like you're going to have a perfect night out.

I was lucky enough to have been invited by Dave to get behind the 'decks' rather than in front ( which is where I belong laugh.gif ) and play an hour set early on between 8-30 and 9-30. I'm just a music lover not a real DJ yes.gif

Didn't manage to get the patrons up and dancing with the 'across the board' mixture I was so happy to play for the first time but I could see the feet tapping and occasional knowing looks directed towards the decks. Though that could have just been indigestion laugh.gif

But that soon changed as the 'proper' DJ's took over and played a short set each followed by a longer set. First 'Chilli' did what 'Chilli' does best, plays to the dancers, and a mainly 70's and modern set kept a lot of people out of their seats and their feet moving on the dance floor. Followed by 'Matt' who really does have some awesome vinyl in his play box including some of those 'latin' flavoured hot numbers and he carried on where 'Chilli' had left off, keeping the dance floor full. Dave, on last, didn't disappoint either and playing some great classic sounds from the 60's kept the dancers hot and happy.

Really nice to see Chris T and Kerry, Mandy who looked wonderfully happy as she celebrated her 21st birthday and Danny still recovering from breaking his hip but still managing to get out and of course the motley crew who travelled down especially to give me a bit of support.

So anyhow here's my playlist :

Johnny & Expressions - Boys & Girls Together

Majors - Down In The Ghetto

Lee Williams & The Cymbals - A Girl From A Country Town

S.O.U.L. - This Time Around

Ledgends - Fear Not

Mamie Lee - I Can Feel Him Slipping Away

Goday Colbert - Baby I Like It

Raphael Saadiq - Love That Girl

Silky Hargreaves - Hurt By Love

Sunday - Ain't Got No Problems

Tutti Hill - He's A Lover

Big Joe Turner - Two Loves Have I

T.S.U. Toronadoes - Only Inside

Dramatics - All Because Of You

C.L. Blast - What Can I Do (When The Thrill Is Gone)

Pic & Bill - Talk About Love

Chimes - The Beginning Of My Life

Garland Green - Girl, I Love You

Nooney Rickett - Player, Play On

Willie Tee - First Taste Of Hurt

Marie Knight - You Lie So Well

Bernard Smith - Gotta Be A Reason

Myron & E - It's A Shame

A big thank you to Dave for letting me have my hour of fun and to all the others who had some kind words for my efforts thumbup.gif

Dear Rands

Great spot mate- really enjoyed hearing such quality tunes- made my night playing Willie Tee and the Majors. I really enjoyed the night and totally agree with your comments on our hosts Dave and Viv, really great to see Mandy enjoying her 21st and what a top buffet! The crowd are always warm and welcoming at the Uni and this is why I like to get down to as many as possible, pity Trowbridge isn't a hotbed of soul like Bournemouth these days! I'll post my track listing later on when I've got my head straight. Well done to you Chilli and Dave for playing such quality tunes!

P.S I hope Chris' digestive system has sorted itself out!

Had a great night gents. By the way Vince the talc is ment to go on the dance floor. I think i ate a dodgie egg sandwich. Fantastic sets by all the djs. Good work Dave and Viv. We will be back :sleep3:' />

how many times can you use that excuse chris...see a vet...he will get that dead rat from up yer arse

moldie

Guest Chris B

Hi All

Just thought I would say that it was a great night at Uni last night.

When I arrived at 10 the full crowd had not get started on the floor, but once the dancers got on there it hardly emptied all night.

Good mixture of Northern, Modern and some rare tunes, which gave us all a chance to have a good dance and rest in between.

Thanks to all the DJ's for providing a good mix of tunes, shame it had to end at 1.00 in the end.

Look forward to seeing your play list Mat, especially the last four tracks you played especially the latin ones. Made a nice change.

All the best.

See you at the next one.

We'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that came along to The Uni last night, from the locals to those who travelled up from the south west.As all above have said what a great night it was.Brilliant atmosphere due to the dj's doing what they do best and to everyone who came along to make it a very enjoyable evening.

Thanks to Matt for coming down and playing 2 cracking sets.Also Chilly who played a fantastic 2nd set of mainly 70's which certainly got the crowd up and dancing.

Rand thanks for coming down and playing a lot of tunes that haven't been played at The Uni before and so happy you enjoyed yourself.

We've had a re think after last night and the next one will be back to a 2am finish.Probably could have gone on all night if they'd let us.

Will post some sort of playlist when i've sorted my records out.

Dave & Viv

does anybody actually know for certain it was fred flinstones stunt double that had a wind problem....mr chilly..so called because of his love for spicy food has been known to trouser cough on many occasions

TUNES I PLAYED AT THE BOURNEMOUTH UNI ON 27/02/10

NOT IN THIS ORDER-

GREAT TO SEE SO MANY FRIENDS AND THANKS

DAVE & VIV FOR LETTING ME DJ

KEEP THE FAITH FROM MATT X

THANKS FOR ASKING ABOUT THE LATIN CHRIS- THE 4 LATIN TUNES ARE LISTED FIRST

SORRY TIM I DIDN'T GET TO PLAY ROSCOE GORDON- WILL TRY TO AT BRIDGWATER MATE- TA FOR SELLING IT TO ME!

BISCUITS AND BUTTERMILK- FREDDIE & HENCHI- (MOSOUL)

POW- WOW- MANNY CORCHADO & HIS ORCHESTRA- (DECCA)

DROWN MY HEART- DAVID COLEMAN- (BARRY)

LA LA LA LA LA- THE AFRO BLUES QUINTET PLUS ONE- (MIRA)

LOOKIN' FOR A WOMAN- THE BROOKS BROTHERS-(TAY)

HARD ROE TO HOE-OTIS LEE (QUAINT)

WHEREVER YOU WERE-BUD HARPER (PEACOCK)

CAN'T WE TALK IT OVER- L ALLEN- (GREEN DOLPHIN)

SAVIN' MY LOVIN' FOR YOU- THE PEOPLES CHOICE (PALMER)

WHAT GOOD AM I- MICKIE CHAMPION- (MUSETTE)

IF YOU WANT TO HOLD ON- J.T. PARKER- (ACADEMY)

HONEY BOY- NELLA DODDS- (WAND)

HUSH DON'T CRY- BONNIE HERMAN - (COLUMBIA)

BARI TRACK- DONI BURDICK-(SOUND IMPRESSION)

I HAVE FAITH IN YOU- DONI BURDICK - (SOUND IMPRESSION)

I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF- GENE CHANDLER- (CONSTELLATION)

DOUBLE COOKIN'- THE CHECKERBOARD SQUARES-(VILLA)

ALL OF MY LIFE- DETROIT SOUL- (MUSIC TOWN)

YOU DON'T LOVE ME- THE EPITOME OF SOUND- (SANDBAG)

WISHING AND HOPING- BILLY KEENE- (VAULT)

YOU CAN'T GO -LONNIE LESTER- (NU- TONE)

(I LOVE HER SO MUCH) IT HURTS ME- (LINDA)

IF THIS IS LOVE (I'D RATHER BE LONELY) - THE PRECISIONS- (DREW)

I LOVE YOU BABY- CINDY SCOTT- (VEEP)

THE GIRL ACROSS THE STREET- MOSES SMITH- (DIONN)

GOIN OUT THE WORLD BACKWARDS- TAURUS & LEO- (VELVET SOUND)

THE SAME OLD FEELING- THE VOLUMES- (IMPACT)

CAUSE YOUR MINE- THE VIBRATIONS- (EPIC)

CAN'T YOU SEE (YOU'RE LOSING ME) - MARY WELLS- (ATCO)

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL SOON

had a top night as usual and i can only echoe the comments of all the above posts, great to see matt again and he did a sterling job keeping the floof going and thought chillies 70's set was great, missed most of rand's set but caught it from c.l. blast onwards and was impressed, dave did his usual job of keeping us entertained (particulaly with his norman collier impressionswhistling.gif ) and played some great stuff and last but not least the crowd there are always great, feels like a big family reunion every two months and can't wait for the next one. keep up the good work dave and viv, we love itthumbup.gif

Guest RussianJo

What an absolutely Blinding night................one of the busiest we have seen - what a great start to 2010 Dave & Viv thumbup.gif

Lovely to see everyone and to have a good catch up- really enjoyed all the sets from the dj´s and a big thank-you to Matt for playing the Precisions for me...one of my all time fav´s!!!

Here´s looking forward to April....beer.gif cheers guys

What an absolutely Blinding night................one of the busiest we have seen - what a great start to 2010 Dave & Viv thumbup.gif

Lovely to see everyone and to have a good catch up- really enjoyed all the sets from the dj´s and a big thank-you to Matt for playing the Precisions for me...one of my all time fav´s!!!

Always a pleasure seeing you two love birds- thanks for dancing! Hope to see you soon

had a top night as usual and i can only echoe the comments of all the above posts, great to see matt again and he did a sterling job keeping the floof going and thought chillies 70's set was great, missed most of rand's set but caught it from c.l. blast onwards and was impressed, dave did his usual job of keeping us entertained (particulaly with his norman collier impressionswhistling.gif ) and played some great stuff and last but not least the crowd there are always great, feels like a big family reunion every two months and can't wait for the next one. keep up the good work dave and viv, we love itthumbup.gif

Gary,at times I felt i was in the Wheeltappers with that mike.Will be sorted for next one in April.Remind Alan on his return from across the channel what the next date is.I will for sure.rolleyes.gif

We'll keep working at it mate as you can never stand still.

Next date is April 17th with Mick Lloyd and Mischief joining Danny and myself behind the decks.

Thanks for the kind words.

Dave & Viv.

Hi guys,

Always a pleasure to see you.Glad you enjoyed yourselves on saturday.Yes it was a blinding night and its all down to the folks like yourselves that come along and make the atmosphere what it is.

Look forward to seeing you soon. thumbsup.gif

Dave & Viv.

Guest Bearsy

Great to hear that the Uni was a top night you are finally getting what this night deserves Dave & Viv, hopefully see you at the next one :good:

ps, Rand thats a great playlist btw :good:

atb

Bearsy & Marie

Dave,we always look forward to your write ups.Glad you and Jan had an enjoyable night at The Uni.We seem to get quite a few travellers and we always make new and old friends welcome.

Good to see you embracing some 70's tunes.

We'll catch up with both soon.

Here's a few what I played in my sets -

Brenda & The Tabulations - Hey Boy - Dionn

Cash McCall - I'm In Danger - Checker

Ex Saveyons - Running Wild - Smoke

Tony Owens - My Heart Can't Take It No More - Soul Sound

Johnny & Jake - I Need Help - Philips

Lee Lamont - I'll Take Love - Back Beat

Millionaires - Never For Me - Philips

Jackie Paine - No Puppy Love - Jet Stream

H.B. Barnum - Heartbreaker - Capitol

Cynthia & The Imaginations - Hey Boy (I Love You) - Blue Rock

Al Wilson - Help Me - Wand

Tony Clarke - Landslide - Chess (request)

Lorraine Chandler - What Can I Do - RCA

Gene Chandler - Mr Big Shot - Constellation

Edited by Dave Morris
Guest RussianJo

. Thanks Dave & Viv and all the guest D.J.s for another entertaining night at Bournemouth University.

. These days, soul nights in Bournemouth are always very warm and friendly affairs and none more so than The Loft Bar, for it's one of those venues that has a casual, relaxed and informal atmosphere.

. I find it easy to mingle and enjoy the many friendships within the shared camaraderie of the locals and the regular travellers, which is always conducive to a really good soul night.

. There's the type and feel of the music to consider at any event and we generally received a good cross-section of Northern Soul from the 60s and more so from the 70s, helped along by slices of RnB Soul and Latin beat music.

. Typical plays that floated my boat were Lonnie Lester - You can't go, Manny Corchado - Pow Wow and Jackie Paine - Ain't no puppy love.

. We finally got to meet the lady in Neil's life. Valery certainly is like her man, a real Character.

. Thanks Russ & Jo for the flowers. Jan has placed them in a recessed window bay on the upstairs landing and I must say that their colours really light up the area.

. It was really thoughtful of you and very much appreciated. Although the best gift has always been the warmth and kindness of your friendship.

. I'm sure others would agree!

. We look forward to more entertaining nights at 'On The Soul Side.'

. Dave & Jan Mortimore

Guest soulcamper

Gary,at times I felt i was in the Wheeltappers with that mike.Will be sorted for next one in April.Remind Alan on his return from across the channel what the next date is.I will for sure.:rolleyes:

We'll keep working at it mate as you can never stand still.

Next date is April 17th with Mick Lloyd and Mischief joining Danny and myself behind the decks.

Thanks for the kind words.

Dave & Viv.

Dave - Was gutted to miss this one - instead got loaded with French Bread and drunk on wine - will see you at the next one - Alan:thumbup:

Dave - Was gutted to miss this one - instead got loaded with French Bread and drunk on wine - will see you at the next one - Alanthumbup.gif

Will be good to see you both.Glad you had a good time in France.Yes you missed a great night,we even had your table in its usual position but as Gary said to me "there's someone else sat there". good.gif