Reviewing The Rare Soul Bible, A Northern Soul

Reviewing the Rare Soul Bible, a Northern Soul Author: Dave Rimmer

From the offset this book is confusing? It is cleverly written as a reference book of sorts with snippets of biographies and record lists set amongst a some times tragic love story that turns into an almost lurid sex book that neither is necessary or acceptable even in this age of sexually freedom we apparently live in.

After reading the book I scratched my head thinking I had read something like this before, there are faint echoes of Orpheus in the Underworld and a sub plot hinting of a mans struggle with his sexuality, this is no better seen in Dave's artist profiles.

This is not a romantic fiction although there are definite nods towards Jane Austen and I did wonder if Dave is in fact the main character and this is semi autobiographic? Dave's plot, though fundamentally comic, highlight the dependence of women on marriage to secure social standing and economic security. How many Northernsoul women is Mr Rimmer trying to anger?

Will I read this book again? Well I would but I have colored some of the pages in, Should you buy the book, oh yes! If not just for the sex scenes on pages 103 - 106.

raresoulbible.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Oh, that explains it then. I bought a second hand copy of this book, but pages 103-106 were stuck together.

Controversial no doubt, but I actually thought Dave was quite daring in exposing the fact that despite the supposedly modern times we live in, there is still a wide perception that a woman can't be successful or happy unless she is married.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!