'dipping' Records In Boiling Water - It Works

• Replies 94
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It doesn't "rescue" the record, but for home enjoyment: invest in the new Ortofon 2M stylus (blue, bronze or black editions - not the red one!).

They've done a really good job with the inbuilt frequency curve on that one, it minimizes and sometimes entirely omits styrene noise from being reproduced.

are you saying that styrene noise can just be EQed out even though it's broad spectrum hiss?

or are you saying that the needle rides a certain way that works well on styrene (which I would understand, but then I don't understand the reference to an "inbuilt frequency curve").

Social source share

But seriosly this boiling water method seems logical , the turbulance caused by the boiling water would dislodge dirt in a sort of ultrasonic way now theres an idea an ultrasonic record cleaner ...

Actually that might be worth a try!

Don't opticians have an ultrasonic cleaner for glasses (Spectacles)?

Has anyone ever tried one?

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

Tune in for next weeks top tip How to clean your shoes with dog shit whistling

But seriosly this boiling water method seems logical , the turbulance caused by the boiling water would dislodge dirt in a sort of ultrasonic way now theres an idea an ultrasonic record cleaner :chinstroke: Back to the lab thumbsup.gif

I've got an ultrasonic record cleaner and I've mentioned it to you lot many times before. Every couple of years, Aldi sell these, they are ostensibly for cleaning jewellery, spectacles, cutlery etc but they work a treat on ground in dirt on reciords. £16.99 and they have them in at the moment. You can't fit the whole record in, you have to rotate it but it does work.

Social source share

I've got an ultrasonic record cleaner and I've mentioned it to you lot many times before. Every couple of years, Aldi sell these, they are ostensibly for cleaning jewellery, spectacles, cutlery etc but they work a treat on ground in dirt on reciords. £16.99 and they have them in at the moment. You can't fit the whole record in, you have to rotate it but it does work.

The type of response I was hoping to see. Just something that might be interesting to people who collect records seriously, that's all.:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Simon

The type of response I was hoping to see. Just something that might be interesting to people who collect records seriously, that's all.:thumbup:

Oh good, we're all so pleased that you're pleased, you'll also be glad to hear that i've stopped responding within the Top 100 thread, so you can sleep soundly knowing that as well.

Simon :wink:

Social source share

are you saying that styrene noise can just be EQed out even though it's broad spectrum hiss?

or are you saying that the needle rides a certain way that works well on styrene (which I would understand, but then I don't understand the reference to an "inbuilt frequency curve").

Slight styrene noise that doesn't affect the entire frequency range can be EQed out. That's what the Ortofon 2M series does. I guess that the EQ curve is set to omit/dampen the frequencies where vinyl noise "usually" can be found.

I've gotten rid of my bad sounding styrene records so couldn't make a perfect A/B test for you, but just to illustrate what I mean I've recorded the exact same 10 second part of a notoriously bad sounding record (Wild Honey's "I Can't Go On") using first the popular Shure WhiteLabel stylus and then with the Ortofon 2M Blue (both styluses are fresh by the way). The section sounds awful with the Shure stylus, but at least decent (and with more clarity) with the Ortofon stylus.

Have a listen below.

SHURE WHITELABEL:

https://www.shingalin...ewhitelabel.mp3

ORTOFON 2M BLUE:

https://www.shingalin...tofon2mblue.mp3

There are ofcourse other styluses out there that have a better and more nuanced EQ curve, but the 2M series (especially the Blue one) is a decently priced option.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Oh good, we're all so pleased that you're pleased, you'll also be glad to hear that i've stopped responding within the Top 100 thread, so you can sleep soundly knowing that as well.

Simon wink.gif

What's that they say about 'sarcasm being.......'(I note the use of the proverbial 'WE'RE', don't work with me mate!lolno.gif )

Social source share

Slight styrene noise that doesn't affect the entire frequency range can be EQed out. That's what the Ortofon 2M series does. I guess that the EQ curve is set to omit/dampen the frequencies where vinyl noise "usually" can be found.

I've gotten rid of my bad sounding styrene records so couldn't make a perfect A/B test for you, but just to illustrate what I mean I've recorded the exact same 10 second part of a notoriously bad sounding record (Wild Honey's "I Can't Go On") using first the popular Shure WhiteLabel stylus and then with the Ortofon 2M Blue (both styluses are fresh by the way). The section sounds awful with the Shure stylus, but at least decent (and with more clarity) with the Ortofon stylus.

Have a listen below.

SHURE WHITELABEL:

https://www.shingalin...ewhitelabel.mp3

ORTOFON 2M BLUE:

https://www.shingalin...tofon2mblue.mp3

There are ofcourse other styluses out there that have a better and more nuanced EQ curve, but the 2M series (especially the Blue one) is a decently priced option.

I hear the distortion is much less on the ortofon. It doesn't sound EQ related though, like actual distortion that isn't something that you can EQ out. Are you sure it's not because of how the needle is riding? Can you EQ out the white label distortion on a PC to get it sounding like the Ortofon?

Also, not that important, but that record is vinyl, not styrene, right?

Social source share

Guest Simon

What's that they say about 'sarcasm being.......'(I note the use of the proverbial 'WE'RE', don't work with me mate!lolno.gif )

Ha Ha....no real offence meant mate, i'm just reeling a bit from being told off on here for the first time in 8 years! laugh.gif

All the best

Simon

Social source share

I hear the distortion is much less on the ortofon. It doesn't sound EQ related though, like actual distortion that isn't something that you can EQ out. Are you sure it's not because of how the needle is riding? Can you EQ out the white label distortion on a PC to get it sounding like the Ortofon?

You might very well be right that it's more about how the stylus "ride" in the groove. I'm not 100% sure about the EQ thing, I've just read that the "EQ curve" in the 2M stylus series tries to bring out the most of the record without reproducing background noise.

Also, not that important, but that record is vinyl, not styrene, right?

Indeed, the Wild Honey 45 is on vinyl. I couldn't find a poor sounding styrene record immediately, so I just took another one that I knew sounds bad with most styluses to illustrate my point.

Social source share

The type of response I was hoping to see. Just something that might be interesting to people who collect records seriously, that's all.thumbup.gif

whistling.gifa i wasn't taking the p%@s i thought you was,i mean boiling water plastic just don't mix not when i went to school

i would hate to damage my rare records even if they weren't up to scratch regards johno

Social source share

hey jonno and bob.............ill take al haskins to work with me 2moro.........see what damp proofing fluid does ..ohmy.gif ........you never know!!!!!!!!!!! hot water ,my arse, i aint tryin it .........biggrin.gif even if it does work, best....ezzie

hatsoff2.gifwhistling.gifrolleyes.gifI will gladly look after your al haskin for you even "don't know about damp proofing fluid"but i would gently and i mean gently clean with ISO-PROPYL ALCOHOL LOVINGLY innocent.gif regards johno good.gif

Social source share

Having recieved a battered copy of GERALDINE CURRY 'You're so wonderful' as a birthday present, I played it and found that whilst there were no proper jumps or 'stuck' problems, the copy omitted an awful lot of background hisses, pops, crackles and a regular loud recurring noise at the beginning...

As I've done before with seriously damaged records, I boiled up a saucepan of hot water and repeatedly 'dipped' the disc in and out of the water - keeping it at boliing temperature for the next hour - for 2 seconds at a time, then immediately drying each time with a pure cotton cloth.

Result? 60-70 per cent improvement, the record plays much better now and would definetly be playable on a deck via big speakers etc. Most hisses and pops virtually inaudible at loud volume and the prominent noise at the beginning significantly reduced.

An old Rock'n'Roll dealer showed me this trick years ago but you have to be very careful, not to exceed the 2 second limit or you will see your record warp in front of your eyes! So best reserved for cheapos or as I said, seriously damaged vinyl.

Probably discussed many times before but so delighted with the result this morning had to share it!thumbsup.gif

SPOT ON......tried it tonight with a very world weary, visually and sonically, copy of Hey There Lonley Girl(StateSide)...not only does it sound better, (I know crap recordwhistling.gif) it also looks betterhatsoff2.gif

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

You need to be very carefull with ultrasonic cleaners they can eat away at the material being cleaned with overuse . I used to work a a technician testing sterilizers and instrument cleaners for hospitals . ultasonic cleaners were tested by suspending alminiun foil strips in the water turning it on and watch the strips get eaten .

The boiling water technique will only work if the record is cold and the water is boiling the cold surface of the record in the water will cause the bubbles to collapse thus causing mild cavtation that will dislodge some muck .

Sorry about that Ive even bored myself I need to get uot more rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Stretford

Yes,this does work!!!!!! Also for "smoke logged " or scuffed vinyl use a toddlers soft toothbrush and luke warm water, use brush on the vinyl in a clockwise direction and see how much dirt comes out.

Social source share

Does the direction of brushing make much of a difference then?

I tend to use a nail brush with a little soap and just luke warm water to wash it off, but mainly brush backwards and forwards along the grooves.

Never really thought if the direction mattered - until you mentioned itg.gif

Social source share

Guest Stretford

Does the direction of brushing make much of a difference then?

I tend to use a nail brush with a little soap and just luke warm water to wash it off, but mainly brush backwards and forwards along the grooves.

Never really thought if the direction mattered - until you mentioned itg.gif

Social source share

Guest Stretford

I always go clockwise,it's the direction the disc rotates in, by going in both directions surely you are rubbing the dirt back into the groove to a certain extent. $teve.

Social source share

You need to be very carefull with ultrasonic cleaners they can eat away at the material being cleaned with overuse . I used to work a a technician testing sterilizers and instrument cleaners for hospitals . ultasonic cleaners were tested by suspending alminiun foil strips in the water turning it on and watch the strips get eaten .

The boiling water technique will only work if the record is cold and the water is boiling the cold surface of the record in the water will cause the bubbles to collapse thus causing mild cavtation that will dislodge some muck .

Sorry about that Ive even bored myself I need to get uot more :rolleyes:

You're mixing up two techniques here, the water in the ultrasonic cleaner is always cold, not boiling, I've never even considered trying it with hot water. And none of my records have ever suffered damage using this technique.

Social source share

You're mixing up two techniques here, the water in the ultrasonic cleaner is always cold, not boiling, I've never even considered trying it with hot water. And none of my records have ever suffered damage using this technique.

Yeah I know just my English , I wasnt suggesting that you use hot water I was just comentig on the hot water tecnique and how it works .

Probably the domestic ultrasonic cleaners work at a lower frequency than medical ones . might get myself one but if my records get eaten Pete its your fault laugh.gif

Social source share

Yeah I know just my English , I wasnt suggesting that you use hot water I was just comentig on the hot water tecnique and how it works .

Probably the domestic ultrasonic cleaners work at a lower frequency than medical ones . might get myself one but if my records get eaten Pete its your fault laugh.gif

No problem! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

I'll keep out of this thread as it could end up like a MELTING POT, i will come back later as we've got the BARBEQUE going outside and i want to go for a WADE IN THE WATER in my swimming pool.Take care or else your sounds might end up in BIT'S & PIECES, seriously though, any idea for restoring ill playing or warped records as got to be a benifit to us all as long as we all understand it's at our own peril.

post-5802-12679898220531.gif

Social source share

:hatsoff2: I have often wondered what sort of result you would get from a medical sterilizer the one that they use that bombards the surface like a sand blaster but with high pressure water? I know it wont damage the records surface at all as like every Boy I have put my hands in and guess what?...I got very clean hands, just a thought:ph34r: DAVE:ph34r:
Social source share

Having recieved a battered copy of GERALDINE CURRY 'You're so wonderful' as a birthday present, I played it and found that whilst there were no proper jumps or 'stuck' problems, the copy omitted an awful lot of background hisses, pops, crackles and a regular loud recurring noise at the beginning...

As I've done before with seriously damaged records, I boiled up a saucepan of hot water and repeatedly 'dipped' the disc in and out of the water - keeping it at boliing temperature for the next hour - for 2 seconds at a time, then immediately drying each time with a pure cotton cloth.

Result? 60-70 per cent improvement, the record plays much better now and would definetly be playable on a deck via big speakers etc. Most hisses and pops virtually inaudible at loud volume and the prominent noise at the beginning significantly reduced.

An old Rock'n'Roll dealer showed me this trick years ago but you have to be very careful, not to exceed the 2 second limit or you will see your record warp in front of your eyes! So best reserved for cheapos or as I said, seriously damaged vinyl.

Probably discussed many times before but so delighted with the result this morning had to share it!thumbsup.gif

Just tried again. Not the best result.

Am I doing something wrong?

Phil

post-3217-12685880835678_thumb.jpg

Edited by phild
Social source share

Just tried again. Not the best result.

Am I doing something wrong?

Phil

Lol! Yeah, for that level of warp you are holding the record in for far too long!

It's literally in - 1,2 -OUT!! And dry immediately with soft absorbent cloth.

Dip half the record at a time, keeping water away from the centre and label, that has to stay dry.... turning on repeat dips but let it cool each time first after drying so that the vinyl is not steadily heating up, (Its bound to warp like that!)but just hitting the same level of contact with 'boiling' each time....

I usually give it 6-7 dips before playing it again, but you have to time it right, dry and cool etc....

It's a knack but just experiment with throwaway records and you'll see it work. (I thought this monster had died a peaceful death at last lol)laugh.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Lol! Yeah, for that level of warp you are holding the record in for far too long!

It's literally in - 1,2 -OUT!! And dry immediately with soft absorbent cloth.

Dip half the record at a time, keeping water away from the centre and label, that has to stay dry.... turning on repeat dips but let it cool each time first after drying so that the vinyl is not steadily heating up, (Its bound to warp like that!)but just hitting the same level of contact with 'boiling' each time....

I usually give it 6-7 dips before playing it again, but you have to time it right, dry and cool etc....

It's a knack but just experiment with throwaway records and you'll see it work. (I thought this monster had died a peaceful death at last lol)laugh.gif

I did that. 1 and 2 and out. Then dried with a lint free cloth.

Was fine the first few times then that happened.

Gutted, it won't play at all now :(

I quite like it, but it had bad background noise for a bout 3/4 of the record then totally clear. It had some stuff spilled on it. Lucky it's not an expensive 45.

Phil

Social source share

I must admit that this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read, thanks matt and Mace for making me giggle!

I can remember watching the Mighty Bub cleaning his records on his shirt prior to playing them and then later at Chris Donnahughe house watching him rub them on the carpet!

I would personally avoid chemicals, cleaned some thing once with our lasses nail varnish remover and it ate through!

Baby wipes any one? This seam to get rid of any foreign matter such as gum when getting records from car boots and the places were kids have wrecked them.

Warps, Mace your tire pressure is way too high mate, deflate deflate deflate is the rule sir!

I have has success and made a few ash trays by ironing over thick paper trying to get rid of warps Ive even gone as far as air fix glue for minor cracks at the edge.

Question: Does any one own a record that they will never play? Not due to damage, but because they want to keep mint?

Social source share

JUst wondering how you actually immerse them in the water - what do you hold them with?

Small cloth, only dipping half the record then turning it and making sure label stays out of water.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I did that. 1 and 2 and out. Then dried with a lint free cloth.

Was fine the first few times then that happened.

Gutted, it won't play at all now sad.gif

I quite like it, but it had bad background noise for a bout 3/4 of the record then totally clear. It had some stuff spilled on it. Lucky it's not an expensive 45.

Phil

You've let the vinyl gradullaly heat up and not let it cool properly between each treatment. That way you are steadily increasing the temperature and when you re-immerse it, that is bound to cause the warp you've experienced - stroll on, when the guy showed me this very simple but very affective excercise years ago, I never dreamt I'd be trying to explain it like this. Hardly rocket science is it lollaugh.gif

Social source share

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE MISSUS WHEN I AM WATCHING FOOTBALL BACKGROUND HISSES/POPS & REGULAR RECURRING NOISES. IF I PUT HER IN BOILING WATER EVERY 2 SECONDS FOR ONE HOUR THEN PUT HER ON A TARMAC DRIVE AND RAN OVER HER WITH THE CAR . GAVE HER A GOOD RUB WITH ALCOHOL BRUSHED HER DOWN CLOCKWISE WITH A YARD BRUSH WILL SHE LOOK TWENTYFIVE YEARS YOUNGER OR WILL I GET 25 YEARS IN STRANGEWAYS LOL. :yes::hatsoff2:

Edited by soulonone
Social source share

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE MISSUS WHEN I AM WATCHING FOOTBALL BACKGROUND HISSES/POPS & REGULAR RECURRING NOISES. IF I PUT HER IN BOILING WATER EVERY 2 SECONDS FOR ONE HOUR THEN PUT HER ON A TARMAC DRIVE AND RAN OVER HER WITH THE CAR . GAVE HER A GOOD RUB WITH ALCOHOL BRUSHED HER DOWN CLOCKWISE WITH A YARD BRUSH WILL SHE LOOK TWENTYFIVE YEARS YOUNGER OR WILL I GET 25 YEARS IN STRANGEWAYS LOL. whistling.gifg.gif

laugh.gifLOL,LOL yes.gif

Social source share

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE MISSUS WHEN I AM WATCHING FOOTBALL BACKGROUND HISSES/POPS & REGULAR RECURRING NOISES. IF I PUT HER IN BOILING WATER EVERY 2 SECONDS FOR ONE HOUR THEN PUT HER ON A TARMAC DRIVE AND RAN OVER HER WITH THE CAR . GAVE HER A GOOD RUB WITH ALCOHOL BRUSHED HER DOWN CLOCKWISE WITH A YARD BRUSH WILL SHE LOOK TWENTYFIVE YEARS YOUNGER OR WILL I GET 25 YEARS IN STRANGEWAYS LOL. whistling.gifg.gif

That's gonna cost you,

From Mr Blackmailer,

See you saturday, Have my free drinks ready,laugh.gif

Tony.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!