To Pitch Or Not To Pitch? That Is The Question

Over heard some people talking about this issue at the lifeline, they said

one big name Dj pitched all his tunes up when playing them out and

another big name DJ had said he was an heritic who vilified our scene

by adulterating the music and not playing it in its original form/ tempo.

How do folks feel about the practice of speeding tunes up slightly for

dancefloor impact, on here?

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Don't like it myself. It's not the real deal and something false about it. If it ain't any good at original speed don't play it.

Social source share

Guest nomad

ph34r.gifThis has been going on for years Geese. You ask how I feel about this...Im all for the rights of the original artist interpretation. That was the way the record was intended to be heard. I know speeded up or slowed down may suit the dancing but in this time of remixes, that are popular at the moment, is it really considered a crime?

Nomad ph34r.gif

Social source share

ph34r.gifThis has been going on for years Geese. You ask how I feel about this...Im all for the rights of the original artist interpretation. That was the way the record was intended to be heard. I know speeded up or slowed down may suit the dancing but in this time of remixes, that are popular at the moment, is it really considered a crime?

Nomad ph34r.gif

Personally I dont have a problem with it, though you dont want to go much more than +3 really or were into chipmunk terratory

Social source share

i do it....only about +2 and not on all tunes,some i even slow down by a couple to make easier for the old legs..AND TO BE HONEST I DOUBT IF MOST PEOPLE EVEN NOTICE ive certainly never had any complaints...once again its about watching your crowd

as far as the 'its not how it should sound' arguement what about live performances...most of the time they are faster than the original recording...IMHO

dean

Social source share

Don't like it myself. It's not the real deal and something false about it. If it ain't any good at original speed don't play it.

How do you know your listening to the real deal on the record ?

Was chatting to Tom Moulton recently and he was telling me the story of 'hold back the night'. When he was given the master tape to mix, he felt it was way to fast, so he slowed it right down, thats why the bass vocal is so deep. So somewhere there is a master tape with a much faster version, as it was recorded at the time.

Also it's well know that Berry Gordy, would often ask for tracks to be slowed down in the final mix, so many producers would record at a faster tempo, expecting this to happen.

Social source share

Was chatting to Tom Moulton recently and he was telling me the story of 'hold back the night'. When he was given the master tape to mix, he felt it was way to fast, so he slowed it right down, thats why the bass vocal is so deep. So somewhere there is a master tape with a much faster version, as it was recorded at the time.

Also it's well know that Berry Gordy, would often ask for tracks to be slowed down in the final mix, so many producers would record at a faster tempo, expecting this to happen.

I have several acetates with versions 1&2 and you can hear them messing around with the speed of the recording

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Dave, yeah we all know that they mess around with tracks before the final release. The "real deal" as far as I'm concerned is how the track was released to the public. I'm ok with original studio acetates etc with different speeds etc. Just uneasy with jocks (or anyone else) not connected to the original recording fooking about with tracks, don't like it, never have, even from the Soussan days ie Epitome of Sound (Moses Smith). Don't like engineered instrumentals, added vocals or whatever.

But that's me, others have their own opinions of course. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

If they sound better,pitch 'em................a lot of the motown live lps sound a lot better pitched down,i heve heard they where presses at the wrong speed anyway.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Section 3.14 of 1985 Northern Soul act says only non original vinyl should have pitch changed!

An officer near you is watching to enforce.

as far as the 'its not how it should sound' arguement what about live performances...most of the time they are faster than the original recording...IMHO

dean

That wins the most bizarre and totally unconnected excuse ever on here for excusing your behaviour,

. I'm ok with original studio acetates etc with different speeds etc. Just uneasy with jocks (or anyone else) not connected to the original recording fooking about with tracks,

But that's me, others have their own opinions of course. thumbsup.gif

That looks particularly anti-scottish to me, us Scotch lads have always championed original speed!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure about this one. I'm disappointed when i hear a great record at the original speed only to find out it's been pitched up in the past and it's not the one i fell in love with, on the other hand there are some which go from being too fast or a tad too slow, with a single pitch up or down become a brilliant northern dancer. I've got a couple i'd like to play out, one too fast, one a bit slow, but i'm nervous about pitching. unsure.gif

Social source share

us Scotch lads have always championed original speed!

Reads 2 ways that Jocko:laugh:

Back to the topic.

Tools are there to be used so use them if you feel comfortable doing it.

Think most folks who don't use stuff to enhance the music output mainly don't do it through fear or ignorance of the technology available.

Let's be honest about it.

We've all got records that we think are too fast or slow so do summat about it. Not bloody rocket science is it.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Each to there own...i'd never pitch a record....but then again all turntables i've owned do not have a pitch control..(belt drive all the way for me..)

Social source share

I'm all for pitching personally ..if it enhances the danceability of the tune

I Personally don't mind, as long as I can keep up with it, lol!!!

A couple of tunes spring to mind, My Baby Likes To Boogaloo I personally find just on the slow side to dance to so am happy it's cranked up a bit.

Also Stanky Get Funky - I can only presume that it's been speeded up many a time and i therefore got used to that tempo, as the last time I heard it played out at Bidds it was a lot

slower. A few of us on the dance floor were looking a bit miffed at the time as it was too slow!!! In the end we sat down as it just wasn't the same!!!

Edited by jobbo
Social source share

Those against pitching up or down must surely think that every single turntable in the world plays at PRECISELY the same speed, which is utter nonsense.

Most decks have strobe light things,so they would near as damnit unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

I pitch around 50% of my records (at home and on the rare occasion I DJ). Even write preferred pitch on sleeve on some (+2, + 4, -2 etc)

Never seen a problem with it personally. If you've bought em, you can do what you like with em.

I'd rather go out and here a new tune pitched up/down to make them more dancefloor friendly than suffer hearing the same old wigan stomper I've heard every week for the last 25 years.

Social source share

Goes back to Wigan days anyway-the decks (or at least one deck) could be/was speeded up Harold Melvin "Get Out" was way faster at Wigan than when the record got re-issued on Route in the UK-also as mention Mr Soussan would send over speeded up versions.ph34r.gif

Rob

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I'm always pissing about with the pitch...I think it's different in R&B for the simple reason that the dancefloor rhythm is the predominant factor...whereas soul is more focused on the vocal

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Do they have pitch on any of the old decks (some places uses them)

I wouldn't like to pitch records in the way that makes it sound worse. They were made in 1 way stick to it like that.

Social source share

Can anyone explain just how the 'pitch' numbering works?

As in relation to the records original speed that is - say the original speed is 1, how does +1, +2, +3 etc relate to that?

Is there an actual relationship to the increase in speed, like in a percentage or something?

Does +2 equate to something like 1.2% and so on?

I know it can't be exactly like that as +8 would be going on to be twice the original speed, but I think you should get my drift!

Just curious...cos I'm a bit thick on this sort of thing!wink.gif

Social source share

I'm always pissing about with the pitch...I think it's different in R&B for the simple reason that the dancefloor rhythm is the predominant factor...whereas soul is more focused on the vocal

Bit like House music then Beeks old boy:laugh:

Can anyone explain just how the 'pitch' numbering works?

As in relation to the records original speed that is - say the original speed is 1, how does +1, +2, +3 etc relate to that?

Is there an actual relationship to the increase in speed, like in a percentage or something?

Does +2 equate to something like 1.2% and so on?

I know it can't be exactly like that as +8 would be going on to be twice the original speed, but I think you should get my drift!

Just curious...cos I'm a bit thick on this sort of thing!:wink:

Good question John.

Always assumed it was percentage rated as in + or - 4 = + or - 4% but might be wrong.

Anybody?

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

There was a long thread about this, about six months ago, but can't find it at the moment, anyone else able to find it????.

Dave

It might of been the thread i started ?..i pitch up and down..yes.gif

Social source share

I would of thought that there are enough great Soul records out there so as to disregard those that don't quite have the 'right' tempo. And given that any tempo seems 'right' at the venues I attend I would rather the music be left to the talented creative folk rather than the amateur DJ's who spin the records IMHO

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I would of thought that there are enough great Soul records out there so as to disregard those that don't quite have the 'right' tempo. And given that any tempo seems 'right' at the venues I attend I would rather the music be left to the talented creative folk rather than the amateur DJ's who spin the records IMHO

thumbsup.gif 100%

Social source share

Each to there own...i'd never pitch a record....but then again all turntables i've owned do not have a pitch control..(belt drive all the way for me..)

Belt drive or not Brett, some of the crappy decks some promoters are using nowaday's actually need to be sped up slightly to achieve anywhere near the original speed the records were recorded at. This is usually down to poor maintainance or a general lack of care plus some of the decks i have seen are pretty naff makes and only good for occasional home use, not constant use over sevaral hours. It's Technics or nothing for me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert