Frank Wilson -"he Who Shall Not Be Named" On Ss

Right, so I get a spare copy of "Do I Love You" on UK Tamla Motown 1170 decided, after looking around on EBay etc to flog it for £60 and now £55 inc post.

Its in sales now as I type-the emotion its generated (yes I've enjoyed it as much as everyone else)--is incredible 22 answers to a £55 record !!

Or is a case of Harry Potter and Voldermort "He who shall not be named" . The bloke makes probably the rarest Northern Soul 45 and also the rarest Motown 45 in one go and mention HIS name and its like showing a cross to a Vampire on herelaugh.gif

My UK copy has been seen for sale at as much as £95 for an issue-within the last month the UK demo with pic sleeve went for well in excess of £225 on Evil Bay only last week! so it must be popular somewhere ph34r.gif

Or is it a case of "Bash the fat Ginger kid" -we like him really- but we're scared of what he stands for-look back over any thread and we've even stopped mentioning the title -now its "DILY?.IID"

I can assure the person who eventually buys it will remain anonymous -unless its Kev Holmesshhh.gif

Rob--DILSS? ----IID !biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest welshruss

Rob,

Good write up that........and its one reason i wont sell my copy (UK demo) for fear of all the vitreoul (if thats spelt right) thats flies,once its posted for sale..whistling.gif

Still good luck with yours......Russ

Social source share

Standing up from my chair in the meeting circle, looking around nervously, then blurting out... my name's Mark... and I like Frank Wilson - Do I Love You...... then sitting down quickly hoping a hole will open up in the floor......

Social source share

Right, so I get a spare copy of "Do I Love You" on UK Tamla Motown 1170 decided, after looking around on EBay etc to flog it for £60 and now £55 inc post.

Its in sales now as I type-the emotion its generated (yes I've enjoyed it as much as everyone else)--is incredible 22 answers to a £55 record !!

Or is a case of Harry Potter and Voldermort "He who shall not be named" . The bloke makes probably the rarest Northern Soul 45 and also the rarest Motown 45 in one go and mention HIS name and its like showing a cross to a Vampire on herelaugh.gif

My UK copy has been seen for sale at as much as £95 for an issue-within the last month the UK demo with pic sleeve went for well in excess of £225 on Evil Bay only last week! so it must be popular somewhere ph34r.gif

Or is it a case of "Bash the fat Ginger kid" -we like him really- but we're scared of what he stands for-look back over any thread and we've even stopped mentioning the title -now its "DILY?.IID"

I can assure the person who eventually buys it will remain anonymous -unless its Kev Holmesshhh.gif

I don't think it's any fault of the record/Frank Wilson etc. more perhaps certain things and people who have ridden on the back of it for years, it's like the record has some how carried a huge amount of baggage on it's back for so long that it's become almost cartoon like, milk the golden cow enough and it tits become saggy and empty no matter how good the milk tastes.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

I don't think it's any fault of the record/Frank Wilson etc. more perhaps certain things and people who have ridden on the back of it for years, it's like the record has some how carried a huge amount of baggage on it's back for so long that it's become almost cartoon like, milk the golden cow enough and it tits become saggy and empty no matter how good the milk tastes.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

DILY..............FTS(F*"k the snobs)!

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yes I think you are right Mark-in fact after having a good think about it I think you have hit the nail fairly and squarely bang on the head-thumbup.gif

I think there might be a poll in here somewhere DILY or DINLY

STILL FOR SALE !

Social source share

I wonder if Frank himself is aware of the vampire and cross reaction.

That's a good analogy you used Mark. Whether it's a 'good' or 'bad' record or

not is entirely down to personal tastes, and they're like colours; i.e. lots of them,

all different shades and hues.

Edited by macca
Social source share

not is entirely down to personal tastes, and they're like colours; i.e. lots of them,

In some cases it's not even down to personal taste. This is a very good record and surely nobody on here would argue objectively that it wasn't?

Social source share

I was dissapointed by some of the comments -big beleiver of just selling the discs and moving on -I do buck up the occasional seller but never comment on what people are selling or want in a derogatory way -its simply not right imho-there used to be alot of etiquette on the british soul scene now its become a bit of a travesty -but hey ho this is a website full of opinions -thats why i tend to stay down in audio source -id be fighting a rear quard action most of the time and I simply cant be arsed!!

BAZ A

Social source share

In some cases it's not even down to personal taste. This is a very good record and surely nobody on here would argue objectively that it wasn't?

Its a brilliant record-do you want to buy it Ady ?laugh.gif would go big in London if played at the 100 Club-ah I forgot you had Kenny on several times -DHPI ? IBHD-- (Did he play it-I bet he did !)

Rob

Social source share

I was dissapointed by some of the comments -big beleiver of just selling the discs and moving on -I do buck up the occasional seller but never comment on what people are selling or want in a derogatory way -its simply not right imho-there used to be alot of etiquette on the british soul scene now its become a bit of a travesty -but hey ho this is a website full of opinions -thats why i tend to stay down in audio source -id be fighting a rear quard action most of the time and I simply cant be arsed!!

BAZ A

Baz I know them allthumbup.gifand its all good fun-but its just the way when "He who shall not be named" or "DILY-IID" really seems to put peoples backs up ! Its only a record ! By the way Ive got a UK Demo -no sleeve-and I would not part with that !

Robthumbup.gif

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

lol yep your right ive just rolled out of bed and read the thread again lol- your right tis only one record!!

Baz I know them allthumbup.gifand its all good fun-but its just the way when "He who shall not be named" or "DILY-IID" really seems to put peoples backs up ! Its only a record ! By the way Ive got a UK Demo -no sleeve-and I would not part with that !

Robthumbup.gif

Social source share

Its a brilliant record-do you want to buy it Ady ?laugh.gif would go big in London if played at the 100 Club-ah I forgot you had Kenny on several times -DHPI ? IBHD-- (Did he play it-I bet he did !)

Rob

My UK demo gets the odd spin when the situation is right. I think Kenny only played it at Xfire he was a thoughtful DJ and worked out that the 100 Club mob may have had enough of it!

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Standing up from my chair in the meeting circle, looking around nervously, then blurting out... my name's Mark... and I like Frank Wilson - Do I Love You...... then sitting down quickly hoping a hole will open up in the floor......

Im across the room from you ....my name is Russ and i like Frank ...... no i cant do it sorry ..... Frank bruno ..........

Social source share

lol yep your right ive just rolled out of bed and read the thread again lol- your right tis only one record!!

Baz I know them all:thumbup:and its all good fun-but its just the way when "He who shall not be named" or "DILY-IID" really seems to put peoples backs up ! Its only a record ! By the way Ive got a UK Demo -no sleeve-and I would not part with that !

Rob:thumbup:

Social source share

Karen and Rob Wigley, great post!

I can totally empathize with how you guys feel! I have been an avid champion of Patrick Hernandez for years now and yes his name is never mentioned just like Frank Wilson.

I still have my 1979 album by Patrick on Columbia and still play it to death even now!

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=H12wNmn87KM

Good one Simon

just been told by Karen-who's in Ireland at the moment that Frank Wilson is being used as the backing track to an Irish Insurance Advert on the Telly there--Irish lads can you confirm ??

Rob

Social source share

True, though many on here did cast apersions on it Ady, especially while Kenny's was up for auction.

To me this is a form of revisionism. One thing is being weary of a sound, another is

questioning its rightful place in NS lore etc;

I perhaps hould have worded it 'whether a record is considered good or bad is often down to personal tastes.

I never had any doubts about FW, though I must say it didn't grab me immediately back then, unlike

other records that spring to mind.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Macca

I've often wondered whenever Frank gets mentioned on here or elsewhere regarding 'that' song whether he reads what's said and gets upset by some of the downright nasty comments (it's only a bleedin' record).

It goes back to what Rob said at the start of this thread re "rarest soul record" ", "rarest Motown 45" & an effin' good record to boot - he should take great pride & ignore the moaners..

Mick

Social source share

There is nowt wrong with it and there never will be,

Many of the people who snipe at it nowadays are the people who kept on asking for it to be played in the past,So they (and we) created the "Vampire", Many Dj's have used it as a get out of jail card in the past and if it was'nt for this paranoia about this record they still would, Mark Bicknell's comments about milk and flabby teets are spot on,

Popularity is very fickle but a good song is still a good song

Social source share

I can remember BITD when Chuck Wood aka "Al Wilson"!! 7 Days...... was a derided piece of northern soul when in fact its a top notch out and out dancer that ALWAYS without fail fills any dance floor these days, unlike BITD (early 80's through to the end of the 90's) when any DJ who dared to play it was surly asking for his P45!!

Social source share

Tongue in cheek aside , this does speak volumes for the brigade who want us all to think they are" oh so cool" (NOT) cos they are dissing FW and the connotations it has on "the northern soul scene" people can hate it as long as they really think its just a bad record or love it any way they want, wether its dancing to it in retro baggy trousers recapturing their youth or just want to own a copy of the record . dont bother me. I bought my uk TMG1170 copy brand new and still have it ....so wont be buying your copy, but if I did you could paste it all over the front page of SOULSOURCE ...as far as i am concerned thumbup.gif

Edited by Jem Brittin
Social source share

I'm the Fat Ginger Kid and I have no problem mentioning Frank Wilson (although It's never really been a favourite of mine).

Good luck with the sale.

Social source share

I'm the Fat Ginger Kid and I have no problem mentioning Frank Wilson (although It's never really been a favourite of mine).

Good luck with the sale.

We like you really laugh.gif, thanks for the message-by the way

FRANK WILSON STILL FOR SALE

or have you all got it ???

Rob

just seen a very sheepish Kev Holmes at the Attic =had to leave early I need serious sleep3.gifsleep3.gifsleep3.gif

Social source share

We like you really laugh.gif, thanks for the message-by the way

FRANK WILSON STILL FOR SALE

or have you all got it ???

Rob

got my brittish reissue and won't part with it (unless somebody offered me a demo in exchange :thumbup:)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

It's a good song. i do not mention his name but could we not even talk about his writing and producing skills without the mention of his big record

Maybe if he came on soul source he would be a guest, surely if he said who he was he would get so much stick from some of you lot

Social source share

It's a good song. i do not mention his name but could we not even talk about his writing and producing skills without the mention of his big record

Maybe if he came on soul source he would be a guest, surely if he said who he was he would get so much stick from some of you lot

I've got Frank as a friend on Facebook-shall we invite the great Lord on here ??

Social source share

I've got Frank as a friend on Facebook-shall we invite the great Lord on here ??

Stop bragging ....... Frank and me are also chums on faeces book :thumbup: .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Yes I think you are right Mark-in fact after having a good think about it I think you have hit the nail fairly and squarely bang on the head-thumbup.gif

I think there might be a poll in here somewhere DILY or DINLY

STILL FOR SALE !

i give you a fiver for it rob i know some one that will give me a tenner for it lol bye the way dily

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!