What Makes A Good Record - The Dancers Or The Song

Well here goes for my very very first thread - it may be the only one too unsure.gif

Don't think anyone has ever asked this but just out of curiosity thought I would find out for myself what you feel.......

"What in your opinion" makes a good Northern Soul Record?

Is it the actual song itself?

OR

Is it the Dancers that interpret the music that makes the Record Northern Soul

Right I have my Armour on .....I've got my eyes shut and I am going to hit the button .............

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well here goes for my very very first thread - it may be the only one too unsure.gif

Don't think anyone has ever asked this but just out of curiosity thought I would find out for myself what you feel.......

OR

Right I have my Armour on .....I've got my eyes shut and I am going to hit the button .............

Urgh the song/track without that how could you dance to hit or if it fitted in the broad pigeon holelaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

lots of different things makes a Soul record great but cos people dance to it does not mean anything to me, its SOUL music and if it hits my soul then its a great record thumbup.gif

good thread btw hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Urgh the song/track without that how could you dance to hit or if it fitted in the broad pigeon holelaugh.gif

Well thanks for bringing the obvious to my attention and "urgh" would never have thought of that - but if you would like to read it again l Said what MAKES a good Northern Soul Record - sometimes I think "dancers" make the record a "hit" so to speak. But then you could have been nicer and just said one or the other - don't worry my armour is still in one piece thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The danceability of the song helps.

If you just want to get to the dancefloor when you hear it - even for the first time, then it's good in my book.

If and how anyone else dances to it - who cares? If it's good enough I'll be away in a world of my own.

- Kev

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Well thanks for bringing the obvious to my attention and "urgh" would never have thought of that - but if you would like to read it again l Said what MAKES a good Northern Soul Record - sometimes I think "dancers" make the record a "hit" so to speak. But then you could have been nicer and just said one or the other - don't worry my armour is still in one piece thumbsup.gif

myself personally, i would dance to a good to me soul record all by myself and would also be more than happy to get off the dance floor to a record everyone else dances to, if a soul record to my ears is not as good as others that blow me away no amount of people on the dance floor can make it sound any better, i dance to a record that i feel not just a tempo beat or rhythm or just for the sake of it shades.gif

i also dont go to venues cos lots of people are there i purely go for the music and friends to share it with in that order biggrin.gif

what makes a good soul record for you Miss Wasperella shades.gif

Social source share

myself personally, i would dance to a good to me soul record all by myself and would also be more than happy to get off the dance floor to a record everyone else dances to, if a soul record to my ears is not as good as others that blow me away no amount of people on the dance floor can make it sound any better, i dance to a record that i feel not just a tempo beat or rhythm or just for the sake of it shades

i also dont go to venues cos lots of people are there i purely go for the music and friends to share it with in that order :D

what makes a good soul record for you Miss Wasperella shades

Thanks for your response Bearsy - I reiterate your first paragraph above :thumbup: - I am partial to a variety and dance to suit all sorts of music thumbsup.gif

Social source share

To me a great northern record or any soul record is one that catches my soul or heartstrings (put it how you like ) from the second it starts to the finish :thumbup: takes me into another little world for the 2& a half minutes or so........... thats what it is for me :good:

Edited by julie moore
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

both depending on the track like the beat and lyrics could do it all but no good if it's too slow (yes could be a good song) but not to dance to at Northern soul

think some of the lyrics in Northern soul music are out of this world

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The song.

I couldn't give a back drop how many people dance to a record.

If I think a record is pants it is pants, and no amount of people dancing to it will change my mind.

you're a soul snob joan lollaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

OR

Personally, it's the tune that hits that part of the brain that sensual sex, fabulous food and Northampton Town scoring a 92nd minute winning goal does. Sometimes it may be an old favourite, it may also be a tune that is 'love at first hear', but whatever, you want to interperate that love, that spine tingling rush on hearing said tune by dropping everything and just dancing for the sheer joy of it all.

Of course, and happily, we all have different tunes that call us to the dancefloor.

So in answer to the question Miss Wasperella, it's the tune itself, although experiencing other people enjoying dancing to a tune can elevate it to a status it may not otherwise have enjoyed if just played at home. :thumbup:

Social source share

Joe_and_Patricia_article_story_main.jpg

Great thread!

Great question!

I have to stereotype for a while so please forgive me...............

When I go to an allnighter I am very aware that there are two very different creatures who are in attendance, two species who co exist in partnership that often looks like oil and water.

I am referring to the record collectors and the dancers.

I won't name the venue where I saw this typify but the venue had a balcony overlooking the dance floor and the balcony offered itself as not just a record bar but as a place where people could congregate.

There looked as if there was a definite parting for those who were there to worship our Soul God on the dance floor and those who made up the priesthood of the little black discs.

The dancers seam to settle them selves into a rudimentary pecking order and the dance begins while upstairs the priests jostle for acceptance amongst the higher orders. We also see the chosen ones who hold court behind the safety of their aluminum containers offering knowing nods of approval to the lower priest's discs and knowing smiles to those who have chosen wisely.

When the priests offer up their chosen disc to the dancers there is always a moment where the drums could stop, the moment Joe is thrown into the volcano!

It is at this precise moment when this question is answered only by the dancers, and if the priest gets it right and we dance then every one is happy with the sacrifice.

OR

Both.................... When Joe gets thrown into the volcano it is a wonderfull thing!

Social source share

Guest spottybum

Well here goes for my very very first thread - it may be the only one too :unsure:

OR

Social source share

Guest spottybum

Brill thread.

Apologies if i've misread the thread.

Whilst northern is largely about the music, i've seen great dancers who influence my own opinion and enhance my enjoyment of records.

Whenever i hear "breakaway" I remember sam dee's acrobatics at the wheel at worfield

"sock it to em jb" was enhanced by des mitchells fast shuffles & hitting all the beats

and whenever I hear "have some everybody" it always reminds me of duane lennon kicking the decks over at brierley hill (the boy really hated that record)

Social source share

sometimes i,ll have a dance for nostalgia, for mates i remember who loved certain songs i was indifferent to at the time.some tunes have grown on me over the years especially slower grooves or R&B . Remember theresa once poining out i,d probably dance to the sound of a car horn and she was right but there are some records which have such an insistant rumble or bass line that i want to dance to it , look round and find everyone ,s thought differently to me , so i get me head down and pretend im in the front room with the curtains shut .there are tunes that you grow out of i think too. Doesnt make you a snob just the you learn to discern the tunes that appeal more to you than others on the dancefloor. I like hearing stuff thats unknown to me and trying to dance to it, if i like it its usually in the first few bars , sometimes thats a mistake, as records that start slowly can alter so dramatically i think , why did i walk off the dancefloor , i actually really like this. Many times ive heard a dj announce with certainty this is what northern soul is about, to then wonder if his phones were plugged in right or is it just me with a shit tase in music. The answer is trully if you hear a record at a venue , at least one other person than you likes that record, and if you dance you show your appreciaton of that , So what do you do if a record youve grown to like starts to empty the floor just as your stepping onto it miss wasperella?

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif Huge Thanks to you all for your replies, I have really enjoyed reading them yes.gifthumbsup.gif

for me....

The song/beat makes a good northern soul record and yet I have watched people on the dancefloor in their zone and bring a song to life, yet I can honestly say that I probably never gave the song a second thought and this really does intrigue me. Songs do grow on you for different reasons and I have played CD's in the car for years and all of a sudden a track will come on and it will remind me of certain dancers. I love watching people dancing and I love people interpreting the music within their dance.

Sometimes I have not known the song but loved the beat and its actually got me up on the dance floor and then I think oops there could be a lull or the song/music could get quite fast in the middle which can be scary when you have never heard it before but its never stopped me getting up.

At the end of the day I love Northern Soul music, I love dancing, I love the Scene, I love the friendly people and some I have not even met yet but have chatted with them on Soul Source and I have even enjoyed posting my first thread - hey who knows I may even post another one in 5 years time laugh.gif

Thanks again x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!