grant

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

anyone tell me which one is the first issue? im guessing not the one with the 'i' on the label? Any difference in price between them.

Thanks

Grant

Top one is original Grant but never seen the bottom one before but would think it's a re-release

Lenny

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

Guest Perry

anyone tell me which one is the first issue? im guessing not the one with the 'i' on the label? Any difference in price between them.

Thanks

Grant

Remember sometime back in the mid 70's John Anderson gave me a copy of the original pink issue. Asked him about it in Soul Bowl and he said he'd bring me a copy in from home, i thought oh yeah, i'll never see that, next time i went in he handed me a copy. Mind you ,I did used to spend rather a lot from my wages in there every week!.

Social source share

Top one is original Grant but never seen the bottom one before but would think it's a re-release

Lenny

thanks Lenny, first time ive seen the bottom one too, sure the re-release came out on the multi-coloured palm tree island label.....

anyone?

Social source share

thanks Lenny, first time ive seen the bottom one too, sure the re-release came out on the multi-coloured palm tree island label.....

anyone?

Yes, this one a second issue, I bought my copy around 1969/70

However, it was from a record shop just as it was to be deleted if memory serves.

I bought their last 2 copies, could be that the design changed while still on catalogue.

ISLAND_WIP-6009-A.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

anyone?

Yeah, funny this. Top one seen most often as original in my view. Bottom could be label redesign rather than a formal second release. 70s reissue definitely couloured Palm Tree and there's also an EP on Sue label with Anglos (from late 70s i think).

Jorge

Social source share

Yes, this one a second issue, I bought my copy around 1969/70

However, it was from a record shop just as it was to be deleted if memory serves.

I bought their last 2 copies, could be that the design changed while still on catalogue.

ISLAND_WIP-6009-A.gif

Yeah, funny this. Top one seen most often as original in my view. Bottom could be label redesign rather than a formal second release. 70s reissue definitely couloured Palm Tree and there's also an EP on Sue label with Anglos (from late 70s i think).

Jorge

Yes, that's what I suspect may have happened.

I used to go to the local record shop asking for titles that I had heard at the Youth Club & Local Disco.

Many titles were deleted by that time, but I used to trawl through the catalogue just in case.

If I remember correctly, Julien Covey I had to order, when It arrived the lady took 2 copies from the shelf & passed one to me.

I said is the other ordered for anyone, she said no we just ordered 2 copies, 1 to re-stock, so I bought both.

It may well be that I caught the end of the Initial release, which had undergone a design change during that time.

Social source share

Jorge

Yes the palm tree was a 70s issue.

Slightly off topic, a mate of mine from Nottingham said Covey was still playing in the area, can anyone confirm this?, also this must be the only record he ever made as I can't find anything else by him, strange really as ALBH was a massive club tune when it first came out

Lenny

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

1968 First press with the red, black & pink "EYE" logo on the left hand side!

1970 white "I" logo left hand side. Actually this press is the rarest of it's 3 UK releases

Edited by john manship
Social source share

1968 First press with the red, black & pink "EYE" logo on the left hand side!

1970 white "I" logo left hand side. Actually this press is the rarest of it's 3 UK releases

It's not a 1970 press, it's a label change of the 1968 pressing right at the end of it's time on catalogue, if it was 'pressed' in 1970, when it was getting played, why aren't there thousands of copies about?

The authority on British labels from Stotfold will confirm this.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

It's not a 1970 press, it's a label change of the 1968 pressing right at the end of it's time on catalogue, if it was 'pressed' in 1970, when it was getting played, why aren't there thousands of copies about?

The authority on British labels from Stotfold will confirm this.

not wanting to split hairs with anyone but the first issue is july 1967. the other pink one came sometime between july 1969 & nov 1970. but its a safe bet to say it was originaly on catalogue for 3 years

dave

Social source share

not wanting to split hairs with anyone but the first issue is july 1967. the other pink one came sometime between july 1969 & nov 1970. but its a safe bet to say it was originaly on catalogue for 3 years

dave

You are correct of course. I have the VIP's - Straight Down To The Bottom WIP-6005 plainly stating 1967 on the label.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Jorge

Does anyone know the value of this 'Anglos' original "Since you've been gone/Small town Boy on 'Shiptown label'......?

post-16245-1270749429631_thumb.jpg

Social source share

You could have fun trying to buy all the different European picture sleeve variations of Julien Covey, have seen a myriad variations over the years

Sarolta's story is epic, she was proposed to by not one but two of the Bee Gees and is now locked up in her native Hungary for embezzlement!! :ohmy:

Social source share

You could have fun trying to buy all the different European picture sleeve variations of Julien Covey, have seen a myriad variations over the years

Sarolta's story is epic, she was proposed to by not one but two of the Bee Gees and is now locked up in her native Hungary for embezzlement!! ohmy.gif

Jesus....banged up.I have another track by her on President which is good.Did she do any other tracks in the UK?I've a foreign piccie of a little bit hurt with a crowd picture in hysterics.Had a picture of Julian in a fur coat fom an old NME.One band from the UK I would like info on is Harlem Johns Reshuffle. They were a northern mod band from 69....lp has covers of That Driving Beat and Looking For A Fox,

Social source share

I've always been of the opnion that this was the re-issue............................yes.gif

It is the reissue.Total pink first issue,Island with (i) second issue, reissue yellow palm tree.Jackie Edwards I Feel So Bad is also on the red white Island original and yellow palm (reissue) but the yellow palm still goes for 40 to 50 quid.Got about 6 or 7 UK Jackie albums which I might post up in the collecting British section.Jackie was schizophrenic in his output with soul/pop/christian/bluebeat/reggae and M.O.R..Loads of labels as well Trojan/Island/Alladin/Fontana etc.Only got about 3 good tracks on Alladin,Prince and Princess and 1 Jackie Edwards track (Hush).His He'll Have to Go is a bit duff and an OK Owen Gray track.....over to Pete Smith re any other good Alladin stuff.Ive stuck a Jackie Edwards acetate in my last post on collecting British.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I found this :

THE CHANGING FACE OF ISLAND RECORDS, 1967-1970 islandlabel1.jpgislandlabel2.jpg The 1st pink label design. Note the lowercase 'island' and orange/ black circle logo. Pink label design No. 2 from late 1969: the so-called 'black block' pressing. islandlabel3.jpgislandlabel4.jpg The 3rd and most common pink label design, with its large lower-case 'i'. The pink labels finally gave way to this 'palm tree' or 'pink rim' design.

Social source share

I found this :

THE CHANGING FACE OF ISLAND RECORDS, 1967-1970 islandlabel1.jpgislandlabel2.jpg The 1st pink label design. Note the lowercase 'island' and orange/ black circle logo. Pink label design No. 2 from late 1969: the so-called 'black block' pressing. islandlabel3.jpgislandlabel4.jpg The 3rd and most common pink label design, with its large lower-case 'i'. The pink labels finally gave way to this 'palm tree' or 'pink rim' design.

LOVE TO HAVE ALL THOSE NICK DRAKE LP'S WITH THESE LABLE DESIGNS :rolleyes:

BRII PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@ HORSE AND GROOM, 25TH APRIL, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert