Juanita Williams 'baby Boy' B/w 'you Knew What You Were Getting'

Can anybody give me some info on a Golden Wolrd copy of JUANITA WILLIAMS 'Baby Boy' that carries 'You knew what you were getting' on the flip? Is it a 2nd issue or something?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can anybody give me some info on a Golden Wolrd copy of JUANITA WILLIAMS 'Baby Boy' that carries 'You knew what you were getting' on the flip? Is it a 2nd issue or something?thumbsup.gif

it's the only issue with that on the other side. cam out twice though with different producers credits - not sure which was first though...

Social source share

No.Credited production to Rob Recco on some,and to Mike Terry (i think,without digging it out..) on others.Same GW number.JM will be able to clear up why the credits are shared.

"You knew..etc.." is also on Wingate - but no "Baby Boy" on the flip.

Social source share

No.Credited production to Rob Recco on some,and to Mike Terry (i think,without digging it out..) on others.Same GW number.JM will be able to clear up why the credits are shared.

some credited to rob recco others to popcorn wylie, think the rob recco ones are slightly rarer but not much difference price wise.

Social source share

Guest Dante

It's Popcorn Wylie, not Mike Terry.

Social source share

Fantastic double sider for the price of a couple of pints thumbsup.gif Absolutely love itblink.gif

Agreed, wonderful example of Detroit creativity. Great unique musical arrangement on a lovely girly dancer and the flip is as good as anything BURT BACHARACH produced - in my opinion - and better than a lot of his cuts in that style. As PETE S said to me yesterday, the type of record that would be five grand if only 10 copies existed and that everybody would then say was a Northern Masterpiece. Yeah, paid a fiver for mine years ago and still treasure it now. thumbsup.gif

Thanks chaps.

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

had both issues of these and its apparent that ed wingate or whoever, figured that both tracks were worthy of a release as an a-side, though in which order......A-HA!....STOPPED MYSELF IN MY OWN TRACKS....HERE'S THE INFO: baby boy - golden world - gw18 09/00/64 c/w you knew what you was gettin

you knew what you was gettin - wingate - wg008 - 11/00/65 c/w somethings you never get used to - produced by van mccoy, a track also cut by esther phillips on atlantic.

3 brilliant tracks from detroit!, not a kings ransome for sure and, i think juanita williams was in the adorables as well....but maybe pete.s will confirm that.

by the way this info is gleened from "OFF THE RECORD" - MOTOWN BY MASTER NUMBER 1959 - 1989 VOL:1 SINGLES BY REGINALD J. BARTLETTE

ROB.H

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

had both issues of these and its apparent that ed wingate or whoever, figured that both tracks were worthy of a release as an a-side, though in which order......A-HA!....STOPPED MYSELF IN MY OWN TRACKS....HERE'S THE INFO: baby boy - golden world - gw18 09/00/64 c/w you knew what you was gettin

you knew what you was gettin - wingate - wg008 - 11/00/65 c/w somethings you never get used to - produced by van mccoy, a track also cut by esther phillips on atlantic.

3 brilliant tracks from detroit!, not a kings ransome for sure and, i think juanita williams was in the adorables as well....but maybe pete.s will confirm that.

by the way this info is gleened from "OFF THE RECORD" - MOTOWN BY MASTER NUMBER 1959 - 1989 VOL:1 SINGLES BY REGINALD J. BARTLETTE

ROB.H

The title on the Wingate one is slightly altered to "You knew what you were gettin" not "..... was gettin".

As for the singer she wasn't in The Adorables, and comitted suicide in her late teens shortly after cutting the sides for Golden World company.

This info came to me via Graham Finch, who did some diggin around 11/12 years ago researching the label.

Social source share

The title on the Wingate one is slightly altered to "You knew what you were gettin" not "..... was gettin".

As for the singer she wasn't in The Adorables, and comitted suicide in her late teens shortly after cutting the sides for Golden World company.

This info came to me via Graham Finch, who did some diggin around 11/12 years ago researching the label.

Thanks for the info on these brilliant recordings, very sad to hear that last bit. Makes the record even more poignant.:hatsoff2:

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Of course if you like Baby Boy by Juanita you will also like the version by Ja Neen Henry on Blue Rock

Cheers

Richard

Another interesting fact. Ja Neen Henry is Andrea Henry. Her middle name is Janeen. Have a photo of her in one of the old Soul Renaissance mags which referred to this. Was a copy from an old Ebony mag.

Juanita Williams, the first Golden World ever brought by me in about '77. And went on from this to collect most of the label.

Martyn

Social source share

Another interesting fact. Ja Neen Henry is Andrea Henry. Her middle name is Janeen. Have a photo of her in one of the old Soul Renaissance mags which referred to this. Was a copy from an old Ebony mag.

Juanita Williams, the first Golden World ever brought by me in about '77. And went on from this to collect most of the label.

Martyn

Hi Martyn - any chance of you scanning and posting that pic/info please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Martyn

So when's the NEW Soul Renaissance Mag Martyn ? thumbsup.gif

Hope you're well mate hatsoff2.gif

atb

Dave

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

It's a scan of the pic of Ja Neen Henry/Andrea Henry I need Mike that Martyn mentioned above, rather than the 45s.

Cheers

Richard

Richard

I'll have to ask how to get this up. Never done it before, but now got a new scanner.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

So when's the NEW Soul Renaissance Mag Martyn ? thumbsup.gif

Hope you're well mate hatsoff2.gif

atb

Dave

Dave

Hi. I'm okay, you? Been keeping a low profile/ recharging the batteries. Started work on the new issue, (late as per usual). Lack of motivation has been the cause. But i'm trying. I'll post in sales when it's done.

Yours

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!