The Birchfield, 26Th March

Hi Folks,

It is with a heavy heart and regret that I have to announce that The Birchfield Soul Nights in Widnes will cease after 26th March.

Our final event will be held on Friday 26th March.

There are a number of reasons for this decision, the primary influences being:

· We had 'hassle' from the venue's management around 18 months ago regarding the use of talc on the dance floor, and their reaction at the time was a tad heavy handed to say the least. This resulted in a number of regulars feeling they could no longer support the venue.

· John 'Biff' Griffiths', the original founder of The Birchfield also felt aggrieved at the attitude of the venue's management over this issue, so much so, that he didn't feel he could continue to DJ (though he's continually supported the night ever since and will be DJ'ing on the 26th)

· Dave Truscott, my co-promoter, has faced a number of personal challenges over the past 2 years and, quite understandably, has been unable to focus his fullest attention on the event

The above factors have adversely affected attendances and, despite our best efforts and the introduction of Steve Jones as a regular DJ, we have sadly been unable to turn the situation around.

We are immensely grateful for, and humbled by, the fantastic support we have received over the past 11 ½ years and generally speaking (other than in the past 18 months) the night has always been a guaranteed 'packer'. Whilst we've continually sought to play the very best music we can, and despite continuing to invest in quality sounds to share with those who support us, we have sadly been unable to sustain a level of support that makes the event viable (for both the organisers and the venue).

That said, we'd like to go out on a 'high' if at all possible. To that end, we are inviting you to attend and support the very last Birchfield Soul Night on Friday 26th March when all of the regular DJs will be reunited for one last time (John 'Biff' Griffiths, Dave Truscott, Steve Jones and Chris Penn). For the literally 100s of different faces we've seen over the years we'd love to see as many of you as possible at the final event to help recapture the spirit and atmosphere that made The Birchfield what it was for so many years. For those who've never had the chance to join us...sadly this is your last chance.

Birchfield Sports & Social Club

Birchfield Road

Widnes

Cheshire

For those of you wanting the postcode to plug into the sat-nav you need to use WA8 9ES

Directions are:

M62 Exit @ Jn 7

Take A57 (signposted Warrington / Cronton)

At lights, turn right B5419 (Wilmere Lane)

At 'T' junction turn right.

After 50 yards turn left @ roundabout (this is Birchfield Road, A568)

The Club is 400 yards on the right.

We'd be thrilled if you could support us this one last time.

Chris Penn

Co-promoter & DJ @ The Birchfield

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Folks,

It is with a heavy heart and regret that I have to announce that The Birchfield Soul Nights in Widnes will cease after 26th March.

Our final event will be held on Friday 26th March.

There are a number of reasons for this decision, the primary influences being:

· We had 'hassle' from the venue's management around 18 months ago regarding the use of talc on the dance floor, and their reaction at the time was a tad heavy handed to say the least. This resulted in a number of regulars feeling they could no longer support the venue.

· John 'Biff' Griffiths', the original founder of The Birchfield also felt aggrieved at the attitude of the venue's management over this issue, so much so, that he didn't feel he could continue to DJ (though he's continually supported the night ever since and will be DJ'ing on the 26th)

· Dave Truscott, my co-promoter, has faced a number of personal challenges over the past 2 years and, quite understandably, has been unable to focus his fullest attention on the event

The above factors have adversely affected attendances and, despite our best efforts and the introduction of Steve Jones as a regular DJ, we have sadly been unable to turn the situation around.

We are immensely grateful for, and humbled by, the fantastic support we have received over the past 11 ½ years and generally speaking (other than in the past 18 months) the night has always been a guaranteed 'packer'. Whilst we've continually sought to play the very best music we can, and despite continuing to invest in quality sounds to share with those who support us, we have sadly been unable to sustain a level of support that makes the event viable (for both the organisers and the venue).

That said, we'd like to go out on a 'high' if at all possible. To that end, we are inviting you to attend and support the very last Birchfield Soul Night on Friday 26th March when all of the regular DJs will be reunited for one last time (John 'Biff' Griffiths, Dave Truscott, Steve Jones and Chris Penn). For the literally 100s of different faces we've seen over the years we'd love to see as many of you as possible at the final event to help recapture the spirit and atmosphere that made The Birchfield what it was for so many years. For those who've never had the chance to join us...sadly this is your last chance.

Birchfield Sports & Social Club

Birchfield Road

Widnes

Cheshire

For those of you wanting the postcode to plug into the sat-nav you need to use WA8 9ES

Directions are:

M62 Exit @ Jn 7

Take A57 (signposted Warrington / Cronton)

At lights, turn right B5419 (Wilmere Lane)

At 'T' junction turn right.

After 50 yards turn left @ roundabout (this is Birchfield Road, A568)

The Club is 400 yards on the right.

We'd be thrilled if you could support us this one last time.

Chris Penn

Co-promoter & DJ @ The Birchfield

Chris

Really sorry to hear about this it's such a shame after all these years, was gonna try and come over for your last night but just realised that Kev is DJ'ing elsewhere the same night, hope you have a fantatic last night.

Sharon x

My favourite management moment was when they made you finish the night early because someone had smashed up the pay phone :lol:

Sad news that a decade of soul at the birchfield is over though.

I will be there for the last one to enjoy a smoke outide in the special unheated uncoverd smokers area

Edited by Darren

Chris

Really sorry to hear about this it's such a shame after all these years, was gonna try and come over for your last night but just realised that Kev is DJ'ing elsewhere the same night, hope you have a fantatic last night.

Sharon x

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for your post.

It's a real shame that after over 11 years we are announcing the very last Birchfield.

I'm left wondering what (if anything) we've done wrong. We've always tried our very best to give those who've supported us a great night and have consistently tried to play the very best records we can get our hands on.

Let's hope we can give the venue the send off worthy of over 11 years of effort.

Chris

I'm left wondering what (if anything) we've done wrong.

I dont think anything was wrong with birchfield,you always tried to cater for what the punters wanted

you cant really ask for more than that.

Hi Darren,

Many thanks for the comments you've posted.

Like many people, you've supported The Birchfield regularly over the years and I look forward to our last smoke in the plush, heated smoking area.

See you on the 26th Buddy.

Chris

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for your post.

It's a real shame that after over 11 years we are announcing the very last Birchfield.

I'm left wondering what (if anything) we've done wrong. We've always tried our very best to give those who've supported us a great night and have consistently tried to play the very best records we can get our hands on.

Let's hope we can give the venue the send off worthy of over 11 years of effort.

Chris

Can't see that you've done anything wrong Chris you've been going for over 11 years and personally I'd had some fantastic night's at Birchfield, I suppose it's just circumstances over the past year or so, the club havn't really helped matters. Hope you have a great last night and once again sorry we can't make it.

Hope to see you soon.

Sharon

Can't see that you've done anything wrong Chris you've been going for over 11 years and personally I'd had some fantastic night's at Birchfield, I suppose it's just circumstances over the past year or so, the club havn't really helped matters. Hope you have a great last night and once again sorry we can't make it.

Hope to see you soon.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for the vote of confidence. I genuinely hope that we've tried to give our customers the kind of night we'd have wanted to attend ourselves and give as broad a range of quality sounds as possible. I think the club themselves realise their attitude to the infamous 'talc' event was not handled in the most diplomatic way possible and sadly that appeared to be the trigger-point.

I won't be able to get to your next event as the night after I've already got tickets for the Stafford reunion nighter (and Mrs Penn only allows me out occasionally as I can't be trusted not to spend the mortgage money on records). Will definitely be attending your future events though.

Chris

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for the vote of confidence. I genuinely hope that we've tried to give our customers the kind of night we'd have wanted to attend ourselves and give as broad a range of quality sounds as possible. I think the club themselves realise their attitude to the infamous 'talc' event was not handled in the most diplomatic way possible and sadly that appeared to be the trigger-point.

I won't be able to get to your next event as the night after I've already got tickets for the Stafford reunion nighter (and Mrs Penn only allows me out occasionally as I can't be trusted not to spend the mortgage money on records). Will definitely be attending your future events though.

Chris

Not prob's Chris we'll see you at Stafford.

Sharon

just seen this, sorry to hear the news, we have had many a good night here, would like to make it for the last one but have other plans,

pete and viv

Many thanks to you both for your comments.

It is indeed a very sad night for us.

That said, we hope to go out on a high and give the club the send off it deserves.

11 and a half years is a long time; we just hope that over the years we've given those people who've attended a 'night to remember' and hope that the name of The Birchfield will invoke many happy memories for many people.

Chris