Al Wilson 'who Could Be Loving You' Great Song

'Who could be loving you' AL WILSON

Have a SOUL CITY demo of this and love the record, just a great song, the mighty WILLIE HUTCH again of course but does anybody know the identity of the Female backing Singer who comes in near the end with some fantastic hollerin'? I like the JIMMY JAMES UK version too, but the backing on that souinds like THE LADYBIRDS or something similar and not a patch on this woman...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have a SOUL CITY demo of this and love the record, just a great song, the mighty WILLIE HUTCH again of course but does anybody know the identity of the Female backing Singer who comes in near the end with some fantastic hollerin'? I like the JIMMY JAMES UK version too, but the backing on that souinds like THE LADYBIRDS or something similar and not a patch on this woman...thumbsup.gif

What about out of the 5th dimention ?,eloise laws,marolyn magoo loads of em.

Edited by ken
Social source share

What about out of the 5th dimention ?,eloise laws,marolyn magoo loads of em.

You mean this could be ELOISE LAWS etc?biggrin.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

A great song. The version by Jackie Ross on Fountain is very nice too, as is Dusty Springfield's.

I'm afraid I don't know who the backing singers are on Al Wilson's version, but LA session singers of the time around the studios involved would have included names like Merry Clayton, Clydene Jackson and Brenda & Patrice Holloway among others.

Social source share

A great song. The version by Jackie Ross on Fountain is very nice too, as is Dusty Springfield's.

I'm afraid I don't know who the backing singers are on Al Wilson's version, but LA session singers of the time around the studios involved would have included names like Merry Clayton, Clydene Jackson and Brenda & Patrice Holloway among others.

Just asked KEN by PM if there was a JACKIE ROSS version because I've never heard it or seen it, but PETE WIDDISON told me there definetly was.

Don't suppose you can post it by any chance?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yeah I know and thats why it's obviously someone of real quality, which is why I want to try and pin it down. Like someone has said, if somebody has the LP it should be credited on there....thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Only the band credited on the LP unfortunatley chorlysoul.....................Jackie Ross version is class.....produced by Calvin Carter, arranged by Riley Hampton....on Jerry Butlers label...........flipside "Don't Change Your Mind" (written by Jerry Butler Billy Butler and Calvin Carter) is a great record too....and shouldn't set you back more than a tenner either

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Only the band credited on the LP unfortunatley chorlysoul.....................Jackie Ross version is class.....produced by Calvin Carter, arranged by Riley Hampton....on Jerry Butlers label...........flipside "Don't Change Your Mind" (written by Jerry Butler Billy Butler and Calvin Carter) is a great record too....and shouldn't set you back more than a tenner either

Cheers Paul

Many thanks for the info on the JACKIE ROSS version, what a pedigree! Will look out for one now. Can't believe the AL WILSON LP does not give the backing credits, listening to it again, my money is on MERRY CLAYTON though!:D

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

I played it at Majestic soul a few months back and it sounded really good like most of the fountain label, well produced. I'm pretty sure it used to get played by Ian clark but my memory is not what it washuh.gif

Social source share

fantastics did a great version on uk mgm in 1968. al wilson just shades it tho. b side of the snake on uk liberty in 1968. someone must have the lp and it must credit the female vocalist surely

bri pinch

Apparently not, it seems! Any ideas nowlaugh.gif

Social source share

I played it at Majestic soul a few months back and it sounded really good like most of the fountain label, well produced. I'm pretty sure it used to get played by Ian clark but my memory is not what it washuh.gif

That might make sense, could well have been who WIDD heard it from...wink.gif

Social source share

The Blossoms were the favoured back up vocalists of producer Johnny Rivers , so Darlene Love could be a suspect .

Hmmmmm, thats an interesting thought, I'm still stuck on MERRY CLAYTON at the moment tho, there's a kind of soaring gospel thing in that voice which is making me believe that. Doesn't sound much like DARLENE'S normal style...Thought this would be relatively simple!thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Does Tony mention it in the sleevenotes of Al's Kent CD?

Was that a clue Ady?thumbsup.gif

Just got this from the Ace records website, part of the review for the album, written by David Cole:

Elsewhere Al makes By The Time I Get To Phoenix - another Jim Webb composition - his own and delivers a classy Willie Hutch beat-ballad with a strong hook in Who Could Be Lovin' You (Other Than Me), his first Soul City 45 which has background support from the Blossoms.

cdkend290_0.jpg

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7731

Lovely song it is though! - I think I have all the versions mentioned above.

Were there any others?

Social source share

The Blossoms were the favoured back up vocalists of producer Johnny Rivers , so Darlene Love could be a suspect .

Seems like you are bang on there, mate! OK, it says the BLOSSOMS in the sleeve notes, but is that singular voice that howls in response to AL in the fade out DARLENE LOVE or one of the other members?:huh:

Social source share

Was that a clue Ady?thumbsup.gif

Just got this from the Ace records website, part of the review for the album, written by David Cole:

Elsewhere Al makes By The Time I Get To Phoenix - another Jim Webb composition - his own and delivers a classy Willie Hutch beat-ballad with a strong hook in Who Could Be Lovin' You (Other Than Me), his first Soul City 45 which has background support from the Blossoms.

cdkend290_0.jpg

https://www.acerecord...59&release=7731

Lovely song it is though! - I think I have all the versions mentioned above.

Were there any others?

I'm sure I was told there are some more versions, cannot think of them at the moment though. Anybody else know?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I played the Al Wilson version at New Pilsley soul last week. Got the predictable dance floor reaction (i.e. cleared the floor) but never mind cos it's just a great track. Did get some good feedback about it after though and will continue playing it for a few months.

I've played the Jackie Ross and the Jimmy James versions and like them both but Al Wilson carries it for me.

Andy

Social source share

I played the Al Wilson version at New Pilsley soul last week. Got the predictable dance floor reaction (i.e. cleared the floor) but never mind cos it's just a great track. Did get some good feedback about it after though and will continue playing it for a few months.

I've played the Jackie Ross and the Jimmy James versions and like them both but Al Wilson carries it for me.

Andy

Nice one mate! Fair play to you, I would have danced if I was therebiggrin.gif

As a Soul record I think AL WILSON is the one, but as a Dancer, I think that JACKIE ROSS version is exquisite and might have got a slighty better reaction placed in between the right records. Let me know if you come across a good nick JACKIE ROSS?thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!