How Much For I Hate Hate By Razzy?

• Replies 22
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It was on a lot of playlists in the Soul/Funk clubs at the time (75 I think) of release - I remember Big Phil the black american radio DJ on tyneside's radio metro giving it spins - very nice tune Mick with a strong message.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Also released on Boblo, Bobby Smith's Macon label which features some very rare and tasty southern soul. This 45 (as Razzy Bailey) actually shares the same label number (314) as the local release of Willy Wiley's "Just Be Glad" before King.

I have no idea whether the Boblo release features The Neighborhood Kids, which as Sebastian says above, render the Aquarius release practically unlistenable to these ears.

Social source share

Guest neil adkins61

There is also a version by Danny Williams on ensign records from about 77 which was played out a bit down south probably due to the influence of DJ Chris Hill not a patch on the razzy version mind you ..

Social source share

Good record, heavy on the "Tighten Up" influence musically. I actually like the Aquarian version. I had a box of them a few years back, sold them easily for under $10 each, not expensive.

Funny you should say that, about 2 months ago I suggested (on here) someone cleverer than me should mash up Razzy with Tighten Up, they'd go together perfectly, just needs thee Tighten Up riff transposing over the top and it would be an absolute killer

Social source share

Guest Dante

Funny you should say that, about 2 months ago I suggested (on here) someone cleverer than me should mash up Razzy with Tighten Up, they'd go together perfectly, just needs thee Tighten Up riff transposing over the top and it would be an absolute killer

I remember that post. I might be able to work something out, give me a couple of weeks.

Social source share

This popped through the letterbox this morning: the Boblo release. Interestingly, given the subject matter of the song it has what appears to be blood-staining to the label.

The most interesting thing about it however is that it's a completely different version to either the Aquarius or MGM versions of the song. I can't do soundclips at the moment, but the differences are quite marked: no screeching kids, no strings, no piano. Bigger sounding drums, wah-wah guitar and overall ever so slightly faster than any version I've heard before: so really like that kind of imagined Tighten Up remix mentioned above. It's got a few pops and clicks but overall it's in pretty good nick.

post-1080-12699619932152_thumb.jpg

Edited by garethx
Social source share

This popped through the letterbox this morning: the Boblo release. Interestingly, given the subject matter of the song it has what appears to be blood-staining to the label.

The most interesting thing about it however is that it's a completely different version to either the Aquarius or MGM versions of the song. I can't do soundclips at the moment, but the differences are quite marked: no screeching kids, no strings, no piano. Bigger sounding drums, wah-wah guitar and overall ever so slightly faster than any version I've heard before: so really like that kind of imagined Tighten Up remix mentioned above. It's got a few pops and clicks but overall it's in pretty good nick.

This was covered by The Sound Of Shoom in 1990

:

Social source share

Should point out that the link Barry has provided has nothing to do with the Boblo release: it's a Danny Rampling UK house job from 1990.

The Boblo thing is from the early 1970s. Other Boblo records I have are distributed by either Starday/King with the later ones distributed through IRDA. This has Bobby Smith's address on the label. I've not seen much mention of it before and wonder if there are many other copies in collections.

Social source share

Should point out that the link Barry has provided has nothing to do with the Boblo release: it's a Danny Rampling UK house job from 1990.

The Boblo thing is from the early 1970s. Other Boblo records I have are distributed by either Starday/King with the later ones distributed through IRDA. This has Bobby Smith's address on the label. I've not seen much mention of it before and wonder if there are many other copies in collections.

Is it not a cover of the Razzy Bailey Gareth?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!