Motown Acapella

• Replies 18
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

They are legit, they're from a series of Motown karaoke discs that came out several years ago, I've posted many of them up before. One set features accapellas, the second features instrumentals, all are the authentic original backing tracks. I think they were withdrawn from sale not long after they were released, and may have been available at Wallmart stores only. I've got all of them somewhere.

Social source share

Like Pete, I've got the 6-CD boxed set of 48 recordings that was issued in the US and many other tracks which weren't on those discs.

On most you get the solo lead vocal (sometimes with backing vocals) and the backing track (again, sometimes with backing vocals) so you can do some basic two-chanell multi track "remixes" in most cases.

There were also some unauthorised digital files from multi-track sessions circulating on the web a few years ago. Most were eight tracks.

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Like Pete, I've got the 6-CD boxed set of 48 recordings that was issued in the US and many other tracks which weren't on those discs.

On most you get the solo lead vocal (sometimes with backing vocals) and the backing track (again, sometimes with backing vocals) so you can do some basic two-chanell multi track "remixes" in most cases.

There were also some unauthorised digital files from multi-track sessions circulating on the web a few years ago. Most were eight tracks.

I,ve got these,if they are the same thing.......especially like Tammi Terrell - singing "Aint No Mountain High Enough" accappella.

Bought them a long time ago,maybe 8 - 10 years ago.

Social source share

Guest Dante

I,ve got these,if they are the same thing.......especially like Tammi Terrell - singing "Aint No Mountain High Enough" accappella.

Bought them a long time ago,maybe 8 - 10 years ago.

Do you still have those split tracks?

I'd certainly love to hear them!

Social source share

Do you still have those split tracks?

I'd certainly love to hear them!

I've got a feeling that because of copyright implications, the ones that were posted up were removed (thinking Ain't No Mountain High Enough for a start)

If I can find my originals you can have them, no use to me.

(Totally off topic, I got the recent Space Oddity 40th anniversary release where it breaks down the title track into 8 different versions, one just guitar, one just organ etc...fascinating, especially the stylophone only version)

Social source share

Guest Dante

I've got a feeling that because of copyright implications, the ones that were posted up were removed (thinking Ain't No Mountain High Enough for a start)

(Totally off topic, I got the recent Space Oddity 40th anniversary release where it breaks down the title track into 8 different versions, one just guitar, one just organ etc...fascinating, especially the stylophone only version)

Thanks for that Pete. Trying to get into music production so it'll be of enormous use to me.

That Space Oddity thing got a TV coverage around here, it sounded amazing. My favorite Bowie record by far.

While we're on subject, I've got a couple of mexican Bowie 45s laying around, thought you might give them a better use than me. One's Let's Dance, can't recall the other one, but it's from the same period.

Social source share

Thanks to all for replies.

If you have the name of the box set that would be handy, as I'll keep an eye out for one on e-bay.

Social source share

Thanks for that Pete. Trying to get into music production so it'll be of enormous use to me.

That Space Oddity thing got a TV coverage around here, it sounded amazing. My favorite Bowie record by far.

While we're on subject, I've got a couple of mexican Bowie 45s laying around, thought you might give them a better use than me. One's Let's Dance, can't recall the other one, but it's from the same period.

Thats very kind of you, though I only actually collect up to 1974, I'm sure I could give them a home though.

OK I've found a couple of discs, the instrumental one only has 58 tracks so I obviously lost the rest. The acapellas disc has 143 tracks. PM me your address and I'll send them over.

(Nobody else ask me please, I'm not copying them, I'm sending the originals)

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Maybe I should make a list of which Motown vocals / instrumentals and multitracks I have in case one of us has any tracks the other doesn't have?

And I have a musician friend who'd love to hear the versions of 'Space Oddity' if you'd let me know where they can be found. And let me know if there's anything I can do in return.

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Maybe I should make a list of which Motown vocals / instrumentals and multitracks I have in case one of us has any tracks the other doesn't have?

And I have a musician friend who'd love to hear the versions of 'Space Oddity' if you'd let me know where they can be found. And let me know if there's anything I can do in return.

Paul as mentioned above, I can't find the instrumentals, only one disc of them. There are 143 accapella vocals. Just count how many you've got and see if there's a difference.

The Space Oddity thing; I don't know where I got that, I downloaded it, maybe it was a CD single, I honestly don't know. Sorry to sound so vague, I'll try and find out.

Social source share

Thanks to all for replies.

If you have the name of the box set that would be handy, as I'll keep an eye out for one on e-bay.

It's called "Limited Edition / Motown" (Original Artist Karaoke Collector's Set) and was issued as a long-box 6-CD set in 2003 by The Singing Machine Company Inc. in association with Motown / Universal. Catalogue number is G8800.

I bought mine online a few years ago (or more) from the US but I can't remember who from or how much. More than £50 I think.

If you need it, I'll scan the front of the box for you.

Social source share

Paul as mentioned above, I can't find the instrumentals, only one disc of them. There are 143 accapella vocals. Just count how many you've got and see if there's a difference.

The Space Oddity thing; I don't know where I got that, I downloaded it, maybe it was a CD single, I honestly don't know. Sorry to sound so vague, I'll try and find out.

Hello Pete,

Apart from the box set of 48 different tracks I had a total of 143 solo vocals (including those same 48 tracks) and almost the same amount of instrumentals (one or two didn't match up).

I'm not sure where I got the extra tracks, possibly via a torrents site, but they're on a hard drive at my office/studio and there's a text file with them which I think has BPM ratings as well.

Some of the files don't actually sync up so to do a mix you need to edit the individual tracks and reposition them. Others sync up perfectly.

I can check them tonight and will send you a full list in case I have anything you can't find. Same with any multi track session copies I have.

Just recently I lost a lot of WAV and MP3 files in folders on the same drive as my iTunes (I suspect something wierd went wrong when I reloaded iTunes) but, luckily, I have back-up copies of most at the office.

As for the Bowie thing, my friend just told me it was a limited edition EP.

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Apart from the box set of 48 different tracks I had a total of 143 solo vocals (including those same 48 tracks) and almost the same amount of instrumentals (one or two didn't match up).

I'm not sure where I got the extra tracks, possibly via a torrents site, but they're on a hard drive at my office/studio and there's a text file with them which I think has BPM ratings as well.

Some of the files don't actually sync up so to do a mix you need to edit the individual tracks and reposition them. Others sync up perfectly.

I can check them tonight and will send you a full list in case I have anything you can't find. Same with any multi track session copies I have.

Just recently I lost a lot of WAV and MP3 files in folders on the same drive as my iTunes (I suspect something wierd went wrong when I reloaded iTunes) but, luckily, I have back-up copies of most at the office.

As for the Bowie thing, my friend just told me it was a limited edition EP.

If he collects Bowie, tell him I've got a spare of one of the Pye singles for sale :)

Social source share

It's called "Limited Edition / Motown" (Original Artist Karaoke Collector's Set) and was issued as a long-box 6-CD set in 2003 by The Singing Machine Company Inc. in association with Motown / Universal. Catalogue number is G8800.

I bought mine online a few years ago (or more) from the US but I can't remember who from or how much. More than £50 I think.

If you need it, I'll scan the front of the box for you.

By the way, I think the 6 CDs were also available individually in certain US stores for a while.

Have a browse around the internet but beware of some karoake CDs which are not real Motown tracks, just nasty impersonations.

And if you get really stuck, I may consider selling my boxed set.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!