Collecting British...why Bother?

• Replies 395
  • Views 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

No he's not! See Dave Greenhill's comments above biggrin.gif

All the stuff I had in my "younger" days was on British but I didn't get the collecting bug proper till I started collecting US. I've bought numerous records on US which I already had on British, especially Motown stuff, but still kept the British one's as well! Guess I'm just a hoarder laugh.gif

Like you John when I first started buying soul it was the Motown stuff that was smashing the charts (mainly reissues) & so all British but then a bloke i worked with introduced me to Blues & Soul & Contempo & though still buying british releases I started to buy brand new imports now & againsad.gif (Slippery slope) One day I walked into a tourist type shop next door to Westminster tube & came upon a box of records. In those days of course,you would find boxes of records everywhere but instead of the usual ex chart stuff I had stumbled upon a box with loads of labels that i had never heard of so instantly dismissed them ohmy.gifsad.gif but also lots of different Ric Tics which I had heard of through Blues & Soul. Only problem was, although I'd heard of the label I hadn't heard of any of the artists but just to see these records that I'd only read about in a mag with the beautiful turquoise label had me hooked. I bought one can't remember what it was though pretty sure it was Al Kent either Ooh pretty lady or You've got to pay the price & being a bit disappointed when i got it home but I guess the label was more important than the tunelaugh.gif & although I still of course carried on buying Uk releases they never held the same fascination as the US stuff

Dave

Social source share

Thats sorted then. Us "Young `uns" dont care for British because we were`nt around (alive!) when everyone was chasing them so there is no romance to collecting British for us.

Think that sums up the findings of this thread!

Chris

g.gif Hmm I likeyes.gif .......I don't care about British because I'm a young 'un whereas old blokes like Stubbsy can't bear to get shot of 'em thumbup.gif

Yes i like very much hatsoff2.gif

Dave

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I know its not a purist thing but looking back at all the original grapevine releases now so many years later they capture the tastes reflected in those few years.

As do the kent releases (7's) in the 80s do and the grapevine 2000 series etc will in years to come.

Its a potted history of the changes the british soul scene has travelled thru !

Rob

Social source share

Fascinating stuff!! It's a UK thing but will it disappear once the old timers are all gone ??? Northern Soul in general seems to attract more and more people outside the UK which may keep the record hunting going but as for britsh collecting....I wonder...???? But they do look nice me thinks!!!rolleyes.gif

Firkin hell it sounds like the gold rush all over again, you listening Stubbsy old timer ?

Social source share

I've noticed a few "suspicious" continental (and even Australian) records turning up in this thread - which is all about "proper" British records.

From what I can see, it doesn't say "Empire Made" on the labels, so I don't think we should encourage this sort of deviant nonsense. It could lead to all sorts of trouble!

boxing.gif

Social source share

I've noticed a few "suspicious" continental (and even Australian) records turning up in this thread - which is all about "proper" British records.

From what I can see, it doesn't say "Empire Made" on the labels, so I don't think we should encourage this sort of deviant nonsense. It could lead to all sorts of trouble!

boxing.gif

all posted to Illustrate what Chris might be missing.. simply that Mr Mooney.. if ya want British only, thats all I shall sprout from now on.

Mal.C.

Social source share

all posted to Illustrate what Chris might be missing.. simply that Mr Mooney.. if ya want British only, thats all I shall sprout from now on.

Mal.C.

Hello Mal,

It was just a joke; sorry I didn't make that so obvious.

I really don't mind these "foreign" records, we're all in the EU now (...even Australia has EU connections). And I've never seen a record with "Empire Made" on the label, although some used to say "Great Britain" ...I suppose they changed that because Britain isn't so great anymore!

I hate putting "Made in EU" on records and CDs these days but that's the way it us. I'd rather see "Made in UK" (or wherever) because it gives each territory it's own indentity.

But, as it happens, many UK records are actually pressed in The Netherlands and in the Czech Republic these days.

So let's have some more, I really appreciate it.

Social source share

Hello Mal,

It was just a joke; sorry I didn't make that so obvious. -

I really don't mind these "foreign" records, we're all in the EU now (...even Australia has EU connections). And I've never seen a record with "Empire Made" on the label, although some used to say "Great Britain" ...I suppose they changed that because Britain isn't so great anymore!

I hate putting "Made in EU" on records and CDs these days but that's the way it us. I'd rather see "Made in UK" (or wherever) because it gives each territory it's own indentity.

But, as it happens, many UK records are actually pressed in The Netherlands and in the Czech Republic these days.

So let's have some more, I really appreciate it.

I know matey. my reply was made in the same way..Hey, ANY excuse to post the weird and wonderful...!! as I've said I don't have that much British at .. but I have picked some nice 7ts things up recently which look the biz..and as all have mentioned the quality of the vinyl and recording is second to none in almost all cases.. Aussie, specifically Festival records recordings are on the whole pretty bad, W&G in Melbourne did however do a great job but did not release any where near enough soul recordings...

Mthumbsup.gif

Social source share

boxing.gif

you mean like this

post-9242-12694782271145_thumb.jpg

:D

Social source share

Does anyone still really seriously collect British? I mean it may have been ok in the 70s but as all of the best records came out on US labels first whats the point in collecting what are essentially re-issues of the original US release?

Chris

Even though I'm from the states I can still see why people want to collect them given the history of the scene........I just don't understand the small holes. It drives me nuts that I can't just grab onto a stack with one hand and flip thru them with the other.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well it could be snobbish of not collecting British. To me some British releases sound better as they did on a US release. Plus to me US and UK originals are great to play out and shouldn't be prefered

As said if it was British only release, you would miss it if not collecting them.

Social source share

Even though I'm from the states I can still see why people want to collect them given the history of the scene........I just don't understand the small holes. It drives me nuts that I can't just grab onto a stack with one hand and flip thru them with the other.

Must say i prefer the small hole, saves mucking about with middles.

Social source share

Guest Glawster

What a brilliant thread,day off today so just having a nose around on SS,love the banter but love the label scans even more.

Social source share

They sure do:

post-1819-12694656005989_thumb.jpg

From the first night at Worksop Arena - on the left: Four Tops TMG579, on the right: Stevie Wonder TMG558

The one on the right is disqualified because it has no centre! :thumbsup:

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - and that sums up the anomally which is collecting UK, it's nothing to do with whats in the groove, I would buy that Stevie record but not without it's original middle being intact.

Social source share

I collect german soul 45s myself so I know why some collectors focus on records released in their own countries.

Pete, that Lou Johnson WD looks very tasty yes.gif

Yeah it does doesn't, I couldn't believe I had no opposition getting it off ebay, only cost something like £22 I think - and I've never seen one before.

Social source share

I collect german soul 45s myself so I know why some collectors focus on records released in their own countries.

Pete, that Lou Johnson WD looks very tasty :yes:

Hands off Benji, He,s giving them all to me,

sat here drooling, some great bits there Pete, :yes:

you should put em all in your own slot in galleries,

have everybody drooling.

Social source share

I had Jenny Wren's "Chasing My Dream All Over Town" go through my hands a couple of years ago. Surprisingly rare in my experience.

post-1392-12695145592871.jpg

Great record, I've had 5 or 6 of these over the years but it used to be £30 when I first got it.

I also had a recording of the original Jimmy Radcliffe produced acetate but only half of it exists because the lacquer had peeled off.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!