Collecting British...why Bother?

• Replies 395
  • Views 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I grew up in the sixties and early seventies with ar' kid's cast off (UK) vinyl, Motown, London, Mojo, Immediate etc and although I loved 'em at the time, when I first discovered the overseas big holed, multi-colored (sic) beauties, I was sold.

Of course I appreciate the look, durability and response of UK released soul, you can't ignore it, but after discovering the dodgy design, flamboyancy and colour of US labels the rather stiff looking UK labels never really did it for me.

I think a lot of my tempered love of UK vinyl is in my head due my earliest memories of UK vinyl.

Of it being scattered in sleeveless piles on the floor of our lobby, mixed in with dusty 78's, or forced 6 a time onto the spindle of our Dansette (that awful spinny-scratchy sound as you loaded/spun 'em on always stuck in my head), before it clattered onto the turntable and the 'needle' began it's panel pin progress.

As objects they seemed unloved in my memories, utilitarian at best - but that was a sixties child at work I guess.

Flip to my light fingered, two sleeved treatment of my first US acquisitions and coupled with the thought that the UK releases of US tracks had never been anywhere near their producers and it'll always be the US release for me.

Social source share

Love the Edwin Starr on Polydor, I expect thats worth allot is it?? Polydor down under only released 2 or so tracks worth hunting down, Bobby Paris, Tony Middleton and the Flirtations. Mthumbsup.gif

Hello Mal,

I really have no idea what most of these records are worth. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to know.

Social source share

personaly i collect the music as long as its original...not bothered yankie or brit...

there are dull and gorgeous labels from both sides of the 'pond'...and i think a mint record sounds great whatever...i understand the arguement about not being caught out with boots thoughyes.gif

i do find myself stickin up for the yanks at go go children as the other 3 residents are all uk addicts and have awsome collections...come to think of it youve been very quite mr Stapleton !!ohmy.gif ...thought yours would have been the first reply...and its a good job dj sean 'my friend jack' parrys not a ss member as hes VERY passionate and not the most tactful person i know !!...his record shack is like a bloody museum...30 odd shcweppes boxes almost all 60s uk origs !!.....soul,ska,beat...lots of demos...its great seeing so many obscure us tracks i never thought were released in the uk(im still a youngster at 42 compared to the othersbiggrin.gif )...must take pics at the next go go and load em up on here

dean

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I'm with Chris Anderton on this, would always try to get the US copy over a Uk version, and yes having plenty of mates who are considerably older than me (who collect Uk)...this is definitely an age thing. Plus i think for me it's the original element on the US 'vinyl' as opposed to the UK release. (that's not denigrating the British collector by the way, just a personal collecting preference)

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest john s

I'm with Chris Anderton on this, would always try to get the US copy over a Uk version, and yes having plenty of mates who are considerably older than me (who collect Uk)...this is definitely an age thing. Plus i think for me it's the original element on the US 'vinyl' as opposed to the UK release. (that's not denigrating the British collector by the way, just a personal collecting preference)

Brett

I've always seen the US release as a stop-gap until I can get a UK copy, but then I've never been a 'Northern' collector, just prefer UK releases, LPs as well as 45s. Same with almost all other music.

Obviously in a lot of cases there isn't a UK release, in which case a US will do!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Brett

Myself, I just drool at looking at British rarities and some of the scans in this thread nearly have me changing my pants. Don't know what it is about them but it's something.

It may well be an age thing in the main, I don't know. I never got into collecting British but I was sorely tempted to start collecting them around the mid 70s. Some of the appeal may be because British 60s material could turn up almost anywhere in the very early seventies as most were no more than 7 or 8 years old. Remember myself and others finding stuff on our local small market record stall. Art Freeman, Rufus Lumley, P.P. Arnold and stuff on President, Sue etc etc. Also in my own small town we had two old style record and music shops which produced a few bits when we talked 'em into showing us the old unsold stuff they had in the back room. Nothing fantastic but nice to find especially as they were being played at the time ie Reperata & the Delrons "Panic" on Bell x 3 , Nancy Wilson "End of Our Love" x 2 and California In Crowd "Happiness" x 3 all for mere pence.

A really appealling collecting theme and wish I could afford the cash and time to indulge.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Does anyone still really seriously collect British? I mean it may have been ok in the 70s but as all of the best records came out on US labels first whats the point in collecting what are essentially re-issues of the original US release?

Chris

BECAUSE THEY LOOK NICE .......Y A W N !! laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest john s

Must admit, I would`nt mind a Glenn Miller though....but I`d punch the middle out!

Chris

Heathen! :yes:

Though you could always get a JA copy!

Social source share

Guest john s

Apparently only 99 copies were made of all the releases on the Outasite label.

Really? I always thought it was more like 500. Having said that, the Lorenzo Smith is the only one I've got! Or seen!

Social source share

Really? I always thought it was more like 500. Having said that, the Lorenzo Smith is the only one I've got! Or seen!

Wouldn't be 500, EMI only pressed 500 of some titles!

n.b. Outasite and another blues label Purdah, both run by Mike vernon pre-Blue Horizon, might have been mail order only 45's. He spoke about them on the British Blues documentary recently.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest john s

Wouldn't be 500, EMI only pressed 500 of some titles!

n.b. Outasite and another blues label Purdah, both run by Mike vernon pre-Blue Horizon, might have been mail order only 45's. He spoke about them on the British Blues documentary recently.

Purdah 45s seem much harder, shame as I'd love a copy of the Stones Masonry 45. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest john s

Why are some Stateside demos red and white and others green and white?

EMI changed the colour of their demos some time in '66, I believe. TMGs as well....

Social source share

Why are some Stateside demos red and white and others green and white?

Correct, though there are some anomalies, i.e. later numbers still being red and white when they should be green and white, the Pye group also changed all their demos from white to yellow around this time.

Social source share

Guest Dante

post-1893-1269556233246_thumb.jpg

post-1893-12695562739587_thumb.jpg

post-1893-12695563386629_thumb.jpg

post-1893-12695564447629_thumb.jpg

post-1893-12695564968515_thumb.jpg

Apparently only 99 copies were made of all the releases on the Outasite label.

Venus is a very obscure offshoot of Rio Records who also bought us the Doctor Bird label. Only 5 or 6 releases, mostly UK produced r&b

Never thought Venus was so obscure...

I've only got I've been Weeping And Crying by Laurel Aitken. Pretty nice R&B piece by Lorenzo.

Social source share

A piece of media history:

post-1819-12695589247097_thumb.jpg

(Interesting fact - ATV actually part owned Pye from 1959 and took it over completely in 1966)

Yes, then ATV became part of the Australian group ACC (owned by "corporate raider" Robert Holmes A Court) who soon sold both ATV Music and Pye Records.

Someone called Michael Jackson bought ATV Music (with borrowed money from Japan) and Pye Records became Precision Records & Tapes (known as "PRT" but some people in the industry unfairly abbreviated it to "PRAT") because they couldn't afford to pay to continue using the PYE brand name.

If you think this is sad, blame the Australians!

ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!