Leon Collins Hidden Gem Of A Record

Just got a bunch of records in and playing through them as you do late on a Monday night on the portable record player on the kitchen table, stuck on this little gem of a tune from 1974 Leon Collins - I Just Wanna Say I Love You - Elf E8001 pretty sure this must have been played sometime in the Crossover/70's rooms, cheap as the chippies at £25.00 this has gone straight in the playbox, stunning self penned top tuneage from Leon Collins out of Boston, fantastic vocal with swirling female backing....I'm hooked as I'm playing it now for the third time on the bounce, quality with that Don Thomas 'Come On Train' kind of groove going on, nice flip too.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lovely tune Mark, was certainly played as a new release.

Came out twice on US, one with Inst flip and the other having another nice vocal 'Crossover' tune on the flipside in 'Knowing I Love You'.

It even had a UK release on EMI, which I picked up on when new.

Credit to you mate if you're going to give it a long overdue spin.

Very, very nice!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Came out twice on US, one with Inst flip and the other having another nice vocal 'Crossover' tune on the flipside in 'Knowing I Love You'.

Very, very nice!

Sean

Knew I'd heard it sometime in the olden days before electric light and all that, just sounds so right for now Sean if that makes any sense? like so many overlooked records, pretty sure we are all sitting on some real sleepers that just need to be woken up and this dilema of over played, nothing new to play etc. well will vanish lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Knew I'd heard it sometime in the olden days before electric light and all that, just sounds so right for now Sean if that makes any sense? like so many overlooked records, pretty sure we are all sitting on some real sleepers that just need to be woken up and this dilema of over played, nothing new to play etc. well will vanish lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Makes perfect sense Mark. :thumbsup:

Let's have more 'Oldies With Imagination'... and the scene will last forever!

Or, at least, it will see us lot out! :ohmy:

:D

Sean

Social source share

Very, very nice!

Sean

knowing I love you is the good side IMO

Social source share

knowing I love you is the good side IMO

The two releases are different mixes, the first release is a much harder edged mix and the one to get IMHO. The second is much more mellow.

It's a great tune and a suprise that it has never had more plays than it has had. I guess it's easy availbility has stop some, you know that 'It's not rare' nonesence.

Dave

Social source share

Just got a bunch of records in and playing through them as you do late on a Monday night on the portable record player on the kitchen table, stuck on this little gem of a tune from 1974 Leon Collins - I Just Wanna Say I Love You - Elf E8001 pretty sure this must have been played sometime in the Crossover/70's rooms, cheap as the chippies at £25.00 this has gone straight in the playbox, stunning self penned top tuneage from Leon Collins out of Boston, fantastic vocal with swirling female backing....I'm hooked as I'm playing it now for the third time on the bounce, quality with that Don Thomas 'Come On Train' kind of groove going on, nice flip too.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

If i remember right,spun at the mecca,also a tape swappers tune at the time.Keep 'em coming Mark thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

tune indeed...

Would be interested to see both sound files put up...

I will always have this in my playbox... The Green issue is ok but in my book its not the best mix for me..

But i could be wrong, not played the green issue out on a big sound system..

cheers

Hi Steve,

I'd never heard the other version til your afternoon session in Gothenburg..

mine deffo sounds harder.. has the instrumental on other side.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

..and sticking with the thread elsewhere - I have nice UK demo that sounds AND looks nicer than the Elf release yes.gif

Social source share

I Have three different ELF copies + the UK Release.

Great tune that a few people are starting to pick up on..

Put a copy of the Elf demo and the Elf issue up for sale a while ago, with soundclips, and didn't get any interest, which surprised me alot - especially at well under a score each!

As mentioned above, rarity over quality rearing its head I guess.

A note on rarity - the issue with the very good 'Knowing I Love You' is far tuffer than the demo (at about 1:50) so get your skates on.

Glad to hear you're going to give it some air!!

Regards,

Greg. :wave:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Mark, yeah lovely tune i have the one with the different flipside DJ copy ( and that's the side for me),but hell i see you are playing at Chris Morgan's bash Sunday, are you sure you want to play a crossover 'style' record...............MANALIVE....... what with me, Nev and Paul Havakin, we may be burned alive by the rare 60's crowd....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Brett

ps.my copy is the ELF demo with 'Knowing I Love You/I Just Wanna Say I Love You'....always thought this was the rarer one as the green one has only the instrumental as the flip ?

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good tune mark ,played it sat night with me matt munro thumbsup.gif

b side good to , KNOWING I LOVE YOU

mine on a white label

Edited by spanner
Social source share

Hi Mark, yeah lovely tune i have the one with the different flipside DJ copy ( and that's the side for me),but hell i see you are playing at Chris Morgan's bash Sunday, are you sure you want to play a crossover 'style' record...............MANALIVE....... what with me, Nev and Paul Havakin, we may be burned alive by the rare 60's crowd....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Brett

ps.my copy is the ELF demo with 'Knowing I Love You/I Just Wanna Say I Love You'....always thought this was the rarer one as the green one has only the instrumental as the flip ?

hopefully Mark will play one side and you the other in your respective A Taste of Honey 'Hellfire' sets on Sunday thumbsup.gif
Social source share

i cant be arsed going into the attic to get it- Whats the UK copy I just wanna say I love you- listed by someone else on EMI with Dynamite explodes on the b-side?

sounds exactly like leon haywood or am I going deaf?

Ive remebered - TLC orch featuring Leon Thomas

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Brett

I'm scared now Brett regarding Sunday as it's been ages since I've played a few tunes out there, pretty sure I can pull out a few interesting things to get the Bicknell Hammer going lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest loma 1

i sold mine last year when i was skint ,,, definatly on the list of ones to buy again though ,, not sure what copy mine was and didnt realise there was a few diferent ones ,

Social source share

The two releases are different mixes, the first release is a much harder edged mix and the one to get IMHO. The second is much more mellow.

It's a great tune and a suprise that it has never had more plays than it has had. I guess it's easy availbility has stop some, you know that 'It's not rare' nonesence.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. Do you know the release number for the 'harder' version. I have the Elf White Demo but it is the extended intro with "knowing I love you" on the flip & I want the other mix.

Best,

Dave

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Picked mine up for $3 in a buy it now on ebay last year...twas funny because there was another one on auction that sold for $20 somenting dollars with 5 bids.

Played it out at Seattle weekender in November last year.

Great choon

Social source share

I think the one I have up for sale is the rarest of the FOUR! mines a white demo with a short version on one side and a longer version on the other. Buy it quickly..... yes.gifhatsoff2.gif

The rarest version of this by a long way is the Elf issue with 'Knowing I Love You' on the flip .

The demo with the long and short mix is the most easily available.

Sorry Phil!

As for price, the demo should command £20 - £25 and the demo long/short about £15 - but if it takes off the issue could become a £50 tune?

Regards,

Greg.

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

LEON COLINS. I JUST WANNA SAY I LOVE YOU. ELF -

This is the harder mix, the other is more polished than this, but dont have it to hand, see if I can put it up in the next day or so, if someone don't beat me to it.

Not a bad mix but the other is for me, more of a groove to it i think..... :lol:

Social source share

Fantastic that everyone seems to rate this little tune, pretty sure we can have similar threads based on quality tuneage that's pretty easy to find and won't cost a fortune.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well said mark me matt was cheap lol,leon $2 bargain

Social source share

This has got me thinking... I've got the US copy with "Knowing..." on the flip side and the UK EMI demo - which has got the instrumental flip as "Dynamite explodes..."

BUT - as I wasn't aware that there were two different mixes of the A side (Until Dave mentioned it in post #6)

It poses another question that I can't answer (without finding my copies out) Can anyone say if the UK (vocal side) release is the same mix as the US vocal with Instrumental release?

I'd never thought to compare them side by side as I just thought they were all the same - now I'm beginning to think maybe not.

If so, then no problem as that means I have all the versions already!biggrin.gif

Social source share

You've got both too - and don't know if they are different mixes either??

What are we like!!laugh.gif

:lol:

Its incurable mate.

I had the EMI one first, picked up the Demo a year or two later and then the 'Knowing i Love You' one at an early Yarmouth.

Have never had the time or inclination to play them one after t'other... but as its the gig on Saturday I might be spending an hour or two in the Record room, so hopefully (if i find em) I'll be able to have a listen and compare.

:D

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert