The Ultimate Crossover Record

If your asking to define "a ultimate crossover sound" then i choose this

RAY HINES-"WHY DONT YOU GIVE ME A TRY"RHN -

Thats not to say it's the best ........impossible to give just one cos it changes all the time...but this thread could end up like an extension of the xover thread if we not carefulbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

F.J. JONES - Gone and Found Another - P.S. , arguably my all time favourite record ( plain yellow cut, not multi- coloured alt take)

Social source share

Guest Demotron

I was always under the impression that Willie Wright's version pre-dated the Back To The World cut by quite a few years. It's only a theory but I wonder if Curtis Mayfield didn't specifically write the song for him: Willie Wright was a blind artist, after all. Finally getting to see a copy of the 45 was instructive too, featuring a Boston address and an incorrect telephone number with the area code scratched out and corrected in biro. I wonder if all of the pitifully few copies which survive are like this. Whatever genre it's classed in this is one of the greatest soul records of all to me.

Reading this was a complete surprise to me. Hard to believe that it would be this way around. What year was the Willie Wright released?

Social source share

I was always under the impression that Willie Wright's version pre-dated the Back To The World cut by quite a few years. It's only a theory but I wonder if Curtis Mayfield didn't specifically write the song for him: Willie Wright was a blind artist, after all. Finally getting to see a copy of the 45 was instructive too, featuring a Boston address and an incorrect telephone number with the area code scratched out and corrected in biro. I wonder if all of the pitifully few copies which survive are like this. Whatever genre it's classed in this is one of the greatest soul records of all to me.

You're spot on that Willie Wright recorded the tune before the release of Curtis's 'Back To The World' album.

The Hotel recordings I believe were recorded/released in 1971 'Lack Of Education' and 1977 'Telling The Truth'. As you rightly say, it's a C. Mayfield penned tune and is featured on the 'Lack Of Education' album predating 'Back To The World' by 2 years.

It would be more accurate of me to say that it's the best ever cover of Curtis Mayfield's 'Right On For The Darkness' which is featured on the 'Back To The World' album. But I have no idea when the Hotel 45 of 'Right On For The Darkness' was released /recorded and, though I've heard the 45 version, I don't know if the album cut is the same version?

Anyway up, it's a tremendous and truly rare gem - interestingly only books at £150!!

BTW It is entirely plausible, and interesting theory, that Curtis had Willie in mind or even wrote it for him.

I've included an image from the only recorded popsike sale, which shows the details and marks you describe.

Regards,

Greg. thumbsup.gif

post-17206-12695387641095.jpg

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

F.J. JONES - Gone and Found Another - P.S. , arguably my all time favourite record ( plain yellow cut, not multi- coloured alt take)

Knew that would be your choice Brett but how about this?

One of the few records we both actually own & on the right label too ( UK Pama).

Would also include it in my 'most Soulful' chart if I was ever put on the spot to do something that daft.

WILLIE FISHER - PUT YOUR LOVIN' ON ME - TIGRESS -

Social source share

We've had many threads on the definitions and semantics of the term. We have the fantastic media thread on the subject which continues to entertain and inform.

I thought I'd start a thread for people to nominate one record which they view as the ultimate embodiment of the genre.

I appreciate that these generic definitions are problematic and maybe unnecessary but hopefully this thread will give those who wonder what all the fuss is about an insight as to why fans of these records are so passionate about them.

It would be great if contributors could limit themselves to ONE record: that which is in their eyes the ultimate example of the term.

I'll start the ball rolling and nominate

RICHARD CAITON "I'D LIKE TO GET NEAR YOU" on UP TIGHT

I'll write a bit about exactly why I think it's the ultimate Crossover record a bit later, but I'm already looking forward to others' choices and am eager to see what, if any, consensus emerges.

There are no wrong answers.

Aw that was my choice!

Okay I'll choose another one......Willie Tee - First taste of Hurt

Social source share

HI Eddie

It is one is one of those records where they got close to perfection.

Hope all is well with you mate, are we gonna see you at the Stafford thingy.

Best

Dave

Hi Dave ,I sadly can't make it , wish I was going though , that venue kept me sane during the 80's .Johnny Gilliam has the word Stafford running through it like a stick of rock IMO...hope to see you both soon ,cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

I'll throw a few in:

Soul Maditations Someone To Hold Me Ovide

Ron Harrington It Happened To Me Again Hillside

Harry Moon Woman's Man Sin/Jengers

The Fantastic's Where's There's A Will etc Impressario

Eddie Campbell Contagious Love Artco

Dave

Social source share

Knew that would be your choice Brett but how about this?

One of the few records we both actually own & on the right label too ( UK Pama).

Would also include it in my 'most Soulful' chart if I was ever put on the spot to do something that daft.

Shocking record - sounds like a third rate Al Jarreau 'Moonlighting'.

p.s. shouldn't that be UK Jama?

Social source share

Shocking record - sounds like a third rate Al Jarreau 'Moonlighting'.

p.s. shouldn't that be UK Jama?

Just booked you in at the local Hillsborough docs to get the old ears syringed Joe.

Right about it being on Jama though. Don't know where Pama came from.

Social source share

Just booked you in at the local Hillsborough docs to get the old ears syringed Joe.

No thanks Mart, if I have to listen to muck like this, then I'd rather my ears were bunged up. laugh.gif

Any more Moonlighting Soundalikes to suggest?

I'll give you a starter for ten - "Touching In The Dark" by the usually magnificent Walter Jackson.

Social source share

We've had many threads on the definitions and semantics of the term. We have the fantastic media thread on the subject which continues to entertain and inform.

I thought I'd start a thread for people to nominate one record which they view as the ultimate embodiment of the genre.

I appreciate that these generic definitions are problematic and maybe unnecessary but hopefully this thread will give those who wonder what all the fuss is about an insight as to why fans of these records are so passionate about them.

It would be great if contributors could limit themselves to ONE record: that which is in their eyes the ultimate example of the term.

I'll start the ball rolling and nominate

RICHARD CAITON "I'D LIKE TO GET NEAR YOU" on UP TIGHT

I'll write a bit about exactly why I think it's the ultimate Crossover record a bit later, but I'm already looking forward to others' choices and am eager to see what, if any, consensus emerges.

There are no wrong answers.

can't name a actual fave but all great tunes getting named on here but I'll throw in GEORGE PERKINS "I'M SO GLAD YOUR'E MINE" under rated if you ask me but a tune that got me into crossover soul many moons ago especially when goldmine brought out the crossover cd withis and JUSTICE DEPT "COME BACK BABY"on it both explain to the unlearned what this brand of soul music is aboutthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Darks

Surely, Jean Wells "What have got to lose"

There again Sonny Til "Tears and misery"

or Garland Green "Just my way of loving you"

maybe Ike Lovely "fools hall of fame"

Social source share

Paul Burton-So Very Hard To Make It or Sebastian Williams-Get Your Point Over. I first heard Dean play Sebastian Williams at Parkers early doors (the best time for the best tunes) and asking him about it a while later he was adamant he'd played the flip instead! I replied that as i danced to it i knew better! He couldn't argue with that logic.

Social source share

These are just a few I rate as ultimate crossover.....

Connie Laverne - Can't live without you baby

Ella Woods - I need your love

Bobby Reed - The time is right for love

Almetta Latimore - These memories

Volumes - Same old feeling

Kenny Wells - Isn't it a shame

Bobby Cline - Say something nice to me

Bobby Taylor - Don't be afraid

Garland Green - Jealous kind of fellow

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Still can't bring down to just one, Chuck Cockerham would have to be up there and on the slower side

Johnny Gilliam - Room full of tears

Johnny Gilliam

Can't really see many things above that tune, loved it since mid 80s and still do today, really wished i had bought it for £20 all that time ago..

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune..... That man Thorley got taste.... :yes:

Will have a think of my own and get back on this.....

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Wouldnt this be some night if everything mentioned on here were played:ohmy:

Nice plush venue,

Hampsey, Tats, Thorley, Fenn, Ripoles etc

Any promoters up for it..................................??

Great idea mark, would be heaven for a nighter to play some great records all night.:yes:

If you look at how many folks get into the few venues that play class music, put the right dj's on, at a nighter,in a centrel location i would like to think it could work.

If nothing else there would be plenty of space on the dance floor,cos as we know no one dances to cross- over do they :laugh:

Social source share

Great educative thread chaps. Nobody's mentioned Barbara Acklin Am I Still The Same Girl?

I'm no expert on this genre, quite a 'pagan' in fact, but listening to some of the sound files you're posting,

I reckon it would fall into the Crossover category. A lot of Tyrone Davis's tunes as well.

Is it because they're ten a penny and therefore not so desirable? Someone mentioned Ty Karim 'Lighten Up Baby'. I thought that was more your typical 'Northern' tune. Enlighten me por favor...

Social source share

Does Robert Parker - 'I Caught You in a Lie count ' as I,m still not sure what classes as crossover ?

Swifty thumbsup.gif

Does for me mate! thumbsup.gif

My take on "Crossover" is the same as "Northern", it comes from all directions "If it's good, and it fits...then it's in!" all good ingredients, just a different flavour!

I'd class...

Gino Washington's "I'll Be Around"

Martha's "My Baby Needs Me"

Joe Tex's "Old Time Lover"

Louis Curry "Toast To you"

..as crossover myself? (one man's meat and all that!)

been so many top choices!

picking a fav for me will always change, mainly coz I aint heard 'em all yet!

Philharmonics "I Need I Need Your Love" and..

Hesitations "Is This A Way To treat A Girl"

will always be up there somewhere for me

steve

Social source share

Whilst we're making a case for "ultimate" x-over how's about:

C Coulter - "I can't fight the feeling"

William Cummings - "Make my love a hurting thing"

Coco & Ben - "Good feeling"

To me these are what I consider to be what the definition encompasses, but I might be wrong!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!