The Ultimate Crossover Record

Guest BIG H

loving this thread thumbsup.gif the late 60's early 70's was by far my favorite era in soul music, another cheapie that's worth a mention is Creations - A Dream on Zodiac proper crossover tune

Social source share

Following on from The Independents I don't know if anyone's mentioned Maurice Jackson on Lakeside or Candlelite yet: an enduring Crossover classic. Along with Bobby Reed on Bell it was one of the very first records to get me into this style.

Maybe not quite in the 'ultimate' category but other things that I don't think have been mentioned yet are Sharon McMahan "Get Out Of My Life" on Columbia, Gemini "Unchanging Love" on Rosa and The Perfections "Leaning Post" on Drive. I think the latter two are yet to have their day.

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Got to be the New Sounds "Dont Take Your Love From Me "just love the vocals ! Love The Sugar Bears tune :thumbsup:

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I'm going to suggest Bobby Hutton's Come See What's Left of Me as an archetypal crossover record.

GREAT GREAT TUNEthumbsup.gif . LITTLE GIRL ......COREY GLOVERIS MY CHOICE AND THOUSAND YEARS.....BRAND NEW

Social source share

I'll also give a mention to 'Just Loving You' by Ruby Andrews on Zodiac.

It may be very played out and a tad groanworthy these days but I think it's an important record in the acceptance of crossover as a distinctive genre.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest stromberg

this topic rubs in some salt in not-yet-healed-wounds, as a lot of the mentioned titles were stolen from me, but the passion for the music staysyes.gif

I am surprised no-one has mentioned the best crossover record ever:

Delegates of Soul- I'll come running back

to me it's the blueprint of a crossover dancer

or would that be the Hesitations: Is this the way to treat a girl

or..

best

Stefan

Social source share

Guest stromberg

Am I alone in appreciating the merits of Johnny Moore.....ph34r.gif

Such a Wonderful Feeling - Blue Rock

Lonely Heart In The City - Blue Rock

I Wanna Spend The Rest Of My Life/Just Be For Real - Brunswick

I'm Only Half A Man Without Your Love - Jadan

It's All Over (And Our Love Is A Faded Dream) - Jadan

Just My Way Of Loving You - Date

not forgetting the awesome

Your love is fadin'-Mercury

thumbup.gif

Social source share

And this, got to be one of the best blue eyed soul singles ever cut

THE MOB - I'D LIKE TO SEE MORE OF YOU - UK AMERICAN -

Add to that one of the best on a UK label too Dave.(Anyone got a Polydor demo of it they don't want?).Great thread.

Social source share

Seeing as nobody else is sticking to just one, I'm going to add one more to Almeta Lattimore's beauty and that is:

Either version:

T S U Toronadoes - A Thousand Wonders - Ovide

Archie Bell & the Drells - A Thousand Wonders - Atlantic

BTW if anyone has a nice copy of the Spanish release of A Thousand Wonders by Archie I would be interested in a copy :lol:

Regards,

Greg.

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

Alright Ken calm down! Just posted two of my favourite xover tracks on the topic page. The Implements and Bobby Hutton both on Philips. How they ended up ther is a mystery to me, and I don't want an explanation! Enjoy!

What do you mean calm down ? only asked you to post 'em in right section/thread, like its some big deal,and i cant explain it either,try post in refo-soul and the cut & paste into topic,but dont tell me to calm down.

Social source share

Al Perkins Yes my goodness yes.

The Original Atco recording (Which I can't find in Refosoul), not the later Buddah mix

I like the Velma Perkins take on this on Twinight......but for ultimate x over well my taste chages by the day, and today's favourite is:

HERMAN HITSON on Sweet Rose.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest OntheScene

It just has to be the late 60s 'Loveland' by Spanky Wilson on Mother Records - wunn-derr-fulllll

This is what crossover is to me not like some people think, ie; mid seventies soul tune like Gloria Scott's Too much lovemakin'.

Good it may be but it's not crossover.

Social source share

Guest D'Arcy

Agree mate,

The 'Here To Stay" LP is always in my box and a regular spin of mine at Yarmuff etc.

Must give it a spin this weekend.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Fantastic record, and I for one Sean, will wait with anticipation till you do wink.gif

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

A bit cheeky I know, but getting back to the great Tyrone Davis, "I Had It All The Time". Spot the crossover in the intro?

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest GreenCoilRecords

I can shed some light on this, as I have been associated with Willie since the late 60's. He released his cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Right On For The Darkness" shortly after Mayfield's release, on a label he and Susan Haynes founded called "Hotel Records." Willie sent a demo copy to Curtis Mayfield at the time, but never got a reply. Willie's assumption at the time and today is that Mayfield either didn't get it, or was peeved at the cover, given how soon it came out after the original. They never met, but Curtis is Willie Wright's stated ultimate favorite of all times. I think Mayfield must have released it as a B side on a single, and WIllie heard it and loved it. The version on the album is only there as a bonus track on the 2010 Numero Group re-release of "Telling the Truth." In reality, Willie Wright only released "Right On" as a 45, and only 500 copies were ever produced.

Social source share

Crossover [from where to what you may well ask] emerged in 85/86. Basically quality soul records not played on the northern or wider jazz-funk scenes in the 70's,with it only becoming about rare records and virtually northerns litte cousin much later on. So the roots of crossover or the early years:

DEBBIE TAYLOR 'JUST DON'T PAY'

BOBBY WILSON 'DEEPER AND DEEPER'

WE THE PEOPLE 'MAKING MY DAYDREAM REAL'

JOE ANDERSON 'YOU AND I'

JEAN WELLS 'WHAT HAVE WE GOT TO LOOSE'

MARVIN GAYE 'COME GET TO THIS'

dean

Social source share

"I Know You're Leaving Me" - Si Hightower :thumbsup:

Has it all, rarity megga following, and SOUL

R & K

Spot on Rob!! true class and a musical journey !! Quality.
Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Johnny Gilliam

Can't really see many things above that tune, loved it since mid 80s and still do today, really wished i had bought it for £20 all that time ago..

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune..... That man Thorley got taste.... :hatsoff2:

Will have a think of my own and get back on this.....

Sorry but that is truly dreadful, in a thread which contains many poor tracks, that stands alone.

Maybe all the good stuff has been found and played, and as a result, we accept the garbage and call it crossover, if the scene had relied on records of this standard then it would never have happened.

Of course this is only my opinion, but WTF.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!