Any Experts On Continental Pressings Out There?

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I just paid a little over my budget for a Sophie Pascal EP on account of I liked the cover better than the usual one. It turns out that this was a Dutch rather than a French pressing. So here's the thing. The record looks to be in excellent condition, as does the sleeve, but the sleeve isn't a sleeve, it's basically a piece of paper 7" x 14" folded in half. It's not glued and never could be because there's no overlap, and the disc itself has a jukebox sized hole. Now I'm not going to swear to this, but I'm pretty sure that all by other Dutch singles have the little autochanger sized holes and regular sleeves.

Right now I'd be thinking I'd just bought a counterfeit except, why would anyone go to the expense of running off a disc that they know won't even fetch $20? :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just paid a little over my budget for a Sophie Pascal EP on account of I liked the cover better than the usual one. It turns out that this was a Dutch rather than a French pressing. So here's the thing. The record looks to be in excellent condition, as does the sleeve, but the sleeve isn't a sleeve, it's basically a piece of paper 7" x 14" folded in half. It's not glued and never could be because there's no overlap, and the disc itself has a jukebox sized hole. Now I'm not going to swear to this, but I'm pretty sure that all by other Dutch singles have the little autochanger sized holes and regular sleeves.

Right now I'd be thinking I'd just bought a counterfeit except, why would anyone go to the expense of running off a disc that they know won't even fetch $20? :thumbsup:

$20 to buy $2 to make $20 x 500 = $10,000 profit =$9,000

there MUST be a demand an EP has 4 tracks so there could be other people wanting it

If someone was bootlegging one record a month $9K x 12 =$108 K a year nice little earner isn't it !

No royalties to artist / record companies / music publishers

Makes it all worth while- nind you they moan when the CPS catches up with themlaugh.gif

Rob

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Guest Dante

I have no idea about Dutch pressings, but down here in Mexico there were several tipes of pic sleeves. There were your usual paper sleeves, hard cardboard ones and the folded in half paper you're describing. Probably the same happens over there. you can even find the same record with two tipes of sleeves, so you probably picked up a different variation.

Social source share

Right now I'd be thinking I'd just bought a counterfeit except, why would anyone go to the expense of running off a disc that they know won't even fetch $20? :huh:

'unglued' sleeves are not uncommon for dutch 60s releases. BTW, what makes you think it's dutch? Can you post up a scan?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert