Just Soul Ii

Just Soul II

The second event in the Just Soul series was, to me, proof that the first one was not just a mirage or indeed a flash in the pan.

One wag jokingly commented on a 'smug-like' expression upon the face of one of the promoters, but if one looked closely one could see it wasn't smugness at creating an event with the caliber of this one but pride.

Pride born from the basic ethos that there are so many likeminded people who share the vision of a soul night such as this, not only share the vision but celebrate it by travelling many miles to sip sweetly from the elixir which is 'Just Soul'.

Not everybody towed the party line this night, I tried so hard to explain to two Just Soul first-timers that it wasn't actually a 'Northern Soul' event as they complained to me (must have one of those faces that looks like it receives a lot of complaints!!!) that there was no Northern Soul being played.

After explaining the ethos of just soul I just thought to myself, if ever there was a case for doing what is said on the tin this would be it, perhaps one should make sure one reads the label on the tin before opening it!

Once again the music worked for me, I'm a mid-tempo kind of fella and the variety of vocals, beats and rhythms were, in the main, served up mid-tempo. One or two commented that they may have liked the tempo to be varied a bit more with one or two more faster numbers added into the soulful soup but I couldn't possibly agree with them because I'd then be the proverbial Turkey voting for Christmas.

Tune of the night for me, out of five-and-a-half hours of 'tunes for the night' was a first time hearing for me of Willie Walker – Run Around. Just like days of old, a tune one has never heard before dragging one by the short and curlies and forcing one to dance…… now that sounds a bit Northern Soul(ish) to me!

Next one in July, in diary and already willing and able to enjoy yet another night of Just Soul.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops
  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest biggray1

Well what more can i say!I can only echo the above report posted by Coops..A Soul Venue for SOUL people..we will be back for episode 3.thumbsup.gif

two words to sum it up PREMIER LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from the first record to the last CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!! , left with a big smile on my face AND BLOODY SORE KNEES TEMPO WISE SUITED ME

TWO STAND OUT RECORDS FOR ME GENE TAYLOR YOU GOT MY NOSE WIDE OPEN (thanks mr Welding)

and the ender that summed up the whole night BIG MAYBELLE OH LORD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME HAD EVERYONE PUNCHING THE AIRthumbsup.gif

Missed the first do here because of an unavoidable clash BUT WONT MISS THE NEXT TWO THIS YEAR

Well done guys pitches was up there for me but this somehow eclipsed all thats gone before

ONLY DOWNSIDE NO BLACKNIGHT RECORDS TO PLUNDER BUILT MY COLLECTION ON GARY SMELTS FINDINGS:ph34r:

TATS DID YOU FIND THE GEORGE JACKSON AND THE WALTER BUTTERBALL DAVIS OF MINE:yes:

NOW FOR A LITTLE PLUG NEXT SUNDAY IF YOU ENJOYED LAST NIGHT MUSICALLY

THEN NEXT SUNDAY ROLLS ROYCE CLUB DERBY HAVE AN INTERESTING LOOKING ALDAYER 4 TILL 12.30

GUESTS WILL BE THE MAN OF THE MOMENT ANDY TATS TAYLOR, SOUL SAM AND MYSELF HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU THERE

GOOD POST FROM COOPS SPOT ON MATEthumbsup.gif

TO BE RESUMED

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

The first night was just so fantastic that I, like Coops, was a little unsure if it could be matched... But match it you did. Well done fellas!

Looking forward to July already thumbsup.gif

Guest Kev Briscoe

Thanks for the kind remarks guys (and gal)!

Just about recovered from my hangover and would like to thank everyone who tuned out last night for our second 'do',

And turn out you did, not sure of the final numbers, but looked about full to me! Apologies to those people I didn't get chance to talk to, I'll catch uip with you at Yarmouth in a couple of weeks time.

I sure Sean, Tats and Bully will be on to add their thanks later.

Just one point to make...if I was the one with the 'smug' look it was because my Rugby team (Rotherham Titans) and come back from losing 29-10 to win 29-30!

Soul Music and Rugby!

Don't come much better than that!!

Kev

Well, we in the South London Massive have a general rule of thumb, that if the return journey to a soul event is going to take longer than we'll actually spend AT the event, then it's a no no. Let's say Just Soul was cutting it fine, with a three-hour each way trip yes.gif

But...we had no hesitation making the journey, based on all the recommendations from the first one in November, and we weren't disappointed. I can't remember the last do I went to where there wasn't one record I didn't like. I love the midtempo numbers, as it means ridiculous heels are no obstacle to dancing laugh.gif I know Dru & Roz would have liked a little more in the way of upfront soulful dance tunes, but even when they weren't dancing, there was no shortage of friendly crowd to chat to so we all came away happy.

Simply fab to see Kirsty 'Human Force Field' Connolly & Michael, blasts from the Thorne past Pontefract Man and Jim 'Shuffling Man' Wishart, Phil & Annette Service up from Hampshire, and lovely Soul Source boys Spirit & Incognito. And the less said about evil kitten murderer Rich B the better ph34r.gif Lovely to meet you Drewes biggrin.gif

Great to meet some of the DJs - Sean 'we're not worthy' Hampsey, 'See what you coulda won' Bully, & Tats 'under pressure from the massive' Taylor. Fab night, great turnout, top tunes, plush venue, full dancefloor all night. Doesn't get much better than that.

Theresa x

Well, we in the South London Massive have a general rule of thumb, that if the return journey to a soul event is going to take longer than we'll actually spend AT the event, then it's a no no. Let's say Just Soul was cutting it fine, with a three-hour each way trip yes.gif

But...we had no hesitation making the journey, based on all the recommendations from the first one in November, and we weren't disappointed. I can't remember the last do I went to where there wasn't one record I didn't like. I love the midtempo numbers, as it means ridiculous heels are no obstacle to dancing laugh.gif I know Dru & Roz would have liked a little more in the way of upfront soulful dance tunes, but even when they weren't dancing, there was no shortage of friendly crowd to chat to so we all came away happy.

Simply fab to see Kirsty 'Human Force Field' Connolly & Michael, blasts from the Thorne past Pontefract Man and Jim 'Shuffling Man' Wishart, Phil & Annette Service up from Hampshire, and lovely Soul Source boys Spirit & Incognito. And the less said about evil kitten murderer Rich B the better ph34r.gif Lovely to meet you Drewes biggrin.gif

Great to meet some of the DJs - Sean 'we're not worthy' Hampsey, 'See what you coulda won' Bully, & Tats 'under pressure from the massive' Taylor. Fab night, great turnout, top tunes, plush venue, full dancefloor all night. Doesn't get much better than that.

Theresa x

Would have loved to have made it,but not to be.Next time maybe?.

btw..who played Big Maybelle last off?

Guest Drewes

Would have loved to have made it,but not to be.Next time maybe?.

btw..who played Big Maybelle last off?

What a tune... loved it... not my usual choice of event this .. but hey have an open mind, and was so refreshing to not have to drive. Still prefer the more uptempo northern oldies, but this was a nice change... and the more easy tempo didnt leave me cabbaged in the chair while my legs recovered...laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Evening all.

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Thanks also to all those that attended Just Soul ll.

You made it a very, very special night.

A big thank you is due to my fellow DJ's, who delivered some incredible, 'gloves off', Real soul music between 'em (mmmmm a new genre..... as if we needed one..... 'Gloves Off' Soul :thumbup:).

Am still in recovery mode (had a very late one with our two year old) so will be back later!

But, I just wanted to stop by and say thank you, thank you and thank you.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Top night again fellas

As coops says the event is "Just soul" so the clue is there for all to see,if it was called "Just RnB" it would take the promise of a lottery win to get me in the place :thumbsup:

Mmmm Gloves off soul, yep we didnt need em on the night as Mad kev was absent :thumbup:

Great to meet a few new faces off here,and see like minded people enjoying what we all love, not bickering about it behind a keyboard, if I had complain about anything the sound system needs tweaking and the bogs are too nice, see you all next time can,t come round quick enough :wave:

Guest Adam G

It was a fantastic night ! tune after tune after tune. Where else could you hear a Bobby Bland 7ts record and a Bobby Bland 6ts record the same night I'll tell you...... no where thats where. Brilliant night Lads. Good to speak to so many people D'Arcy, Mark H, Binsy Mr and Mrs Elliot,Brett, Girf, Lorraine Dearlove Mick n Mo John Benson etc etc If I didnt get to speak to you my appologies too many tunes to dance to my knees are buckled today. Roll on July but see some of you at Essence

Sean, Tats, Kev and of course the mighty Bully thanks for another great night.Just what was needed

We are booking int hotel though next time

Can only echo whats been said,

Nice to be reminded of the reason I listen to Soul is the voice and not the price tag, I forget sometimes.

Thank you to you all for a great night with good people and to Tats for 'Im someone who cares' and 'These eyes', special to me them.

Next Stop Raynescourt.

Jim and Squeezethumbsup.gif

Can only echo whats been said,

Nice to be reminded of the reason I listen to Soul is the voice and not the price tag, I forget sometimes.

Thank you to you all for a great night with good people and to Tats for 'Im someone who cares' and 'These eyes', special to me them.

Next Stop Raynescourt.

Jim and Squeezethumbsup.gif

Are they Originals & Jnr Walker tracks m8? If so you got taste!!! I luv 'em too. Just sorry I couldn't make this one...........

Another Top Top Night..............Many Thanks for all Your Kind Comments so far, but without you lot.............. There Would Be No Night!

It is Great to be able to play from the Heart to you Guys ........... and know that you love the tunes also.

Thanks to all the Travellers who came, from Far and Wide, Far Too Many of You to Mention (Quite Possibly All of You (Barnby Moor is in the Middle O' Nowhere) ).

Sean, Kev & That Man Tats ( What A Guy), You Guys certainly did the Business with the Tunes Once Again !

STERLING WORK CHAPS!

Thanks To You All !

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Bully Boy

Another magical night lads, everything has already been said including celebrating the soul voice rather than the pricetag.

One record really brought that home to me amongst all the amazing records played which was Paul Kelly - You make me tremble, a truly wonderful but underplayed track but with a full dancefloor.

Thanks to Tats and Ali for being wonderful hosts on Friday and well done to Sean, Kev and Bully for keeping the quality control so highthumbsup.gif

Gotta say what a great night.I was celebrating my birthday with my closest friends in great surroundings, listening (and the odd dance)to quality soul music,what more could anyone want?We had a minibus from Boston and that was an adventure in itself.Took a tour around Retford on the way which made us about half an hour later than we had planned and on the way back I don't know which way the driver went but I got home at about half past 5.Perhaps we should have gone on to the all nighter at Samanthas instead of heading who knows where but most of us were asleep anyway and didn't notice.I personally would have liked a bit more room as everyone had to cross the dancefloor to get a beer but the dancers didn't seem to mind and the atmosphere was very intimate and friendly.Thanks to Coops and Netty for the photo and hair bands(really useful) and everyone else for their lovely cards and presents and cake.We were going to stay in and have a party but I'm really pleased that we didn't.ktf Chris

Well what can I say that not already been said, another great night at Just Soul, some of the tunes these guys play just blow you away, and has someone already said they are not all expensive tracks, looking forward to the next one already and may just stay over this time, now onto to having "Tats" with us this Saturday at Pilsley for our anniversary.

Ps Tats what do you reckon toinght?

Barry Cooper

Edited by Guest

Gotta say what a top night it was, the music quality was not just incredible, it was wonderfully wide... there are very, very few soul nights that have DJ line ups able to play 60's thru 2010, and everything in between... Willie Walker, Betty Everett, Curtis Mayfield, Jaheim.....it was very special .. :yes:

Well done Sean, Tats, Bully and Kev.... a united soul scene.... it's gotta be world peace next....

Edited by Wrongcrowd

Brilliant night, where a tune was played on its musical merit not on its value, and what a selection there was too

no pretentious djs trying to look the Big "i am" ........JUST SOUL

1st just soul was great and thought it would be hard to match but this was as good..... one small critique if i can offer it was, that due to increased numbers of people (it was a packer) the volume of people gassing overshadowed the sound system especially in the bar area, so for an hour or so it was difficult to hear some of the tunes, a speaker over in that area may have helped ( I am half deaf though) but a quick shuffle nearer the dance floor when a space became available soon took care of that.

BUT please do not take that as a downer it is meant as a helpful comment, the music was top notch and cemented a return visit for me at the next JUST SOUL event.

another highlight of the night is talking to John Benson, its is a real treat, the stuff that man knows is fantastic...got my little book out and jotted down some stuff John :lol:

Myself and Mr Bri Pinches debated many a tune from the night on the way home and as i only am allowed out once every 6 weeks saving my permit for this night is a "MUST DO"

Bully, Kev, Andy And Mr Hampsey showed us what brilliant soul is out there across the spectrim and long may they continue to educate me thumbsup.gif

Geeooooooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Guest Drewes

shades.gif

g.gif

swoon.gif

beer.gif

hypo.gif

wub.gif(Teresa, Kirsty, Drewes & Tats ohmy.gif)

wave.gif ( Spirit )

thumbsup.gif (Arkright, F F F F Fetch a c c c cloth)

thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

NUFF SAID

Daftie!!!! blush.giflaugh.gif x

Edited by Drewes

Thank you thank you for all the great feedback, once again we were overwhelmed, not just by the amount of people who had travelled from far and wide, but the sheer soulfulness of the crowd.

The love of this music seems to be amplified a thousand times when we share it !.

thanks for another magical night.

Tats

(happy to be under pressure from the london massif)

We had a great night again, as already said this event is about what for us is the most important thing about soul music 'The Voice' and tune after tune played by everyone emphasised this at 'JUST SOUL II', Gene Chandler, Percy Sledge, Darrow Fletcher, Four Tops, Dells,etc.etc ......... but the tunes that stood out for us on the night were FridaySaturdaySunday , Ann Bogus , Tower of Power and without doubt the tune of the night Lamont Dozier - Can't Get Off Until The Feeling Stops assisted on vocal by Bully............, and Big Maybelle , what a tune to finish with.

Great warm up for Soul Essence, well done guys, can't wait for part III.

See you all soon

Paul & Sue (and shadow :shades:) :rolleyes:thumbsup.gif:wicked:

Thank you thank you for all the great feedback, once again we were overwhelmed, not just by the amount of people who had travelled from far and wide, but the sheer soulfulness of the crowd.

The love of this music seems to be amplified a thousand times when we share it !.

thanks for another magical night.

Tats

(happy to be under pressure from the london massif)

Thanks again mate for everything, glad to be keeping you under pressure:yes:

Guest Darks

I'm biased of course, but what a marvelous night.

It was apparent that all the guys had put a lot of work into the music, even you Tats.

Musically just about everything I've always wanted in a night and there's not many times I've said that recently.

Roll on the next one.

Regards

Alan

PS record of the night Teddy P "somebody told me" oh and "Mr Weatherman" early doors.

Guest Midge

This was my first night out in several months and all I can say is WOW, it was well worth the wait. The music was just perfect for my own personal tastes

and I thought I had died and gone to heaven on more than one occasion, Truly outstanding picks from all the guys.

Bully played an ideal set for early doors which allowed the others to build the atmosphere with each consecutive set

tunes I hadnt heard for years along with many I had never heard, the Willie Walker unreleased tune is fantastic, other stand outs

Gene Chandler, the late great Teddy P, Jnr Walker, Dee Dee Warwick, Curtis Mayfield, Willie Mitchell. Not forgetting the inspired choice of Big Maybelle

to close, please let that be a regular closing tune as the atmosphere at that point was simply amazing.

Thanks to Coops and the other Jolly Fisherfolk from Skeggy for the lift and great company, much appreciated on both counts.

Already looking forward to the next instalment, long may they keep coming.

Midge

This was my first night out in several months and all I can say is WOW, it was well worth the wait. The music was just perfect for my own personal tastes

and I thought I had died and gone to heaven on more than one occasion, Truly outstanding picks from all the guys.

Bully played an ideal set for early doors which allowed the others to build the atmosphere with each consecutive set

tunes I hadnt heard for years along with many I had never heard, the Willie Walker unreleased tune is fantastic, other stand outs

Gene Chandler, the late great Teddy P, Jnr Walker, Dee Dee Warwick, Curtis Mayfield, Willie Mitchell. Not forgetting the inspired choice of Big Maybelle

to close, please let that be a regular closing tune as the atmosphere at that point was simply amazing.

Thanks to Coops and the other Jolly Fisherfolk from Skeggy for the lift and great company, much appreciated on both counts.

Already looking forward to the next instalment, long may they keep coming.

Midge

it was a pleasure having your company young Midge ;-)