two questions

please does anyone know how much that gayle adams 12" baby i need your loving sold for on 'honest johns' auction tonight [just curious!]

and whos the female singer on the saab t.v ad 'its your thing' thanks

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Kolla

"It's Your Thing" is sung by Ann Peebles.

Not sure if if came out on 45 (this is more JTrouble's area). It's on her classic 1971 album though, "Part-time Love" - on Hi.

post-2-1084432751_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"It's Your Thing" is sung by Ann Peebles.

Not sure if if came out on 45 (this is more JTrouble's area).    It's on her classic 1971 album though, "Part-time Love" - on Hi.

Nice track, always good to hear it come on during the adverts in the office!

I'm pretty sure it's not on a 45 (although not 100% sure as I tend to pass over most things on HI so it wouldn't register if i saw it anyway), and I don't look at albums, although Kolla's got that angle well covered;-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Is that Gayle Adams (one of Randy's old plays) a freak price and is it just the 12", I'm sure I've got it buried somewhere on 7 & 12"

Ady

Best left burried Ady!!!!!!!!!!

It really is beyond me how and why records like this and The dreaded Futures PTPTM are so bloody popular, yes ok both are ok as dancers and there is nothing spectacularly unpleasant about the GA track but pphhhlleeeaaase there really are so many more deserving seventies tunes out there that ain't given the time of day and when a 70's record is picked up on it has to shite like these gives me nightmares it doos :-o

Social source share

Totally agree John. I heard Sam play this at Yarmouth and it was by far and away the worst record I heard all weekend. Absolute irrellivant shit. Sam must have had a brain spasm to play it. As for the berk who has just paid £400+ for it, he needs to get out more and listen to some music. As you say how many fantastic 70's soul tunes that are great dancers, and just don't get played on any scene, yet nonsense tunes like this one does. I just can't get me breath!

Jordi

Social source share

but pphhhlleeeaaase there really are so many more deserving seventies tunes out there that ain't given the time of day and when a 70's record is picked up on it has to shite like these gives me nightmares it doos :-o

John,

I can understand the price hike these days - buying soul records is a global thing and therefore prices are going to continue to inflate.

But the main problem with records like Gayle Adams is simple really. They're modern records that fit the bill for northern rooms - nice and catchy and not too taxing. Further, most northern dj's ain't got a clue about anything beyond 1969 and therefore when a tune becomes popular the sheep mentality kicks in and they all want it. Basically, it's become DJ'g by numbers - heaven forbid if they thought a bit and rummaged around. When was the last time you heard Ebony Essence's 'Let me in' out anywhere??

I rest my case

Scotty

ps. I believe there are two copies of the Gayle Adams thing in me mam and dad's garage - 12" - if anybody is interested???

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

When was the last time you heard Ebony Essence's 'Let me in' out anywhere??

I rest my case

Scotty

ps. I believe there are two copies of the Gayle Adams thing in me mam and dad's garage - 12" - if anybody is interested???

Last time i DJed out Scotty about a month ago ;o)))

Oh and btw thanks for your kind offer of a 12" but i have some pins to stick in my eyes so can't take you up on it ;oP

John

Social source share

John,

I can understand the price hike these days - buying soul records is a global thing and therefore prices are going to continue to inflate.

But the main problem with records like Gayle Adams is simple really. They're modern records that fit the bill for northern rooms - nice and catchy and not too taxing. Further, most northern dj's ain't got a clue about anything beyond 1969 and therefore when a tune becomes popular the sheep mentality kicks in and they all want it. Basically, it's become DJ'g by numbers - heaven forbid if they thought a bit and rummaged around. When was the last time you heard Ebony Essence's 'Let me in' out anywhere??

I rest my case

Scotty

if you haven't heard ebony essence at a soul night for a while then you should come up to bonny scotland it got played by lan Paterson at the all dayer in Aberdeen at the beginning of the month

Social source share

anyway has anyone got the final details of that Gaye Adams 12?

Was it just a bog standard one, or was it one of those white demo ones knocking round, or some other sort of odd exotic release or even exotic description @400 surely was some sort of hook

Social source share

anyway has anyone got the final details of that Gaye Adams 12?

Was it just a bog standard one,  or was it one of those white demo ones knocking round, or some other sort of odd exotic release or even exotic description  @400 surely was some sort of  hook

Description:

Gayle Adams - Baby I Need Your Loving - Epic 12 inch

Currently filling floors around the country, a very in-demand 70's dancer.This copy is a UK 12 inch version White Label promo complete with it's promo sleeve. Check sound bite for far superior 12" version. A very difficult piece to find.

Mint minus

Ending price:

£ 405

7'' now on the auction starting at £24!!!!

www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/auction_view.htm

Social source share

northern dj's ain't got a clue about anything beyond 1969 and therefore when a tune becomes popular the sheep mentality kicks in and they all want it.

Scotty

What a completely ridiculous statement.

What on earth makes you think that any decent Northern DJ would want stuff that even the Seventies fans are calling shite !

Social source share

For me personally, my 2 fav 70's track that i own have to be Harold Tyler "Reality" on Tymo and Herman George "Mental High" on Bet, don't give a toss if they are dancers all i know is that they ring my bells.

Brett

Social source share

Strange World Of Northern Soul or what ? I am writing this after opening a box of Kleenex. I sold two 12" mint copies of Gayle Adams for £25 each at the Prestatyn Weekender and also had five 7" Prelude white demos last year, and got £15 a piece for them. I was very happy and so were the other parties, but £405 ?

If only I had been a bit smarter I would have been writing this in the Caribbean.

Social source share

northern dj's ain't got a clue about anything beyond 1969 and therefore when a tune becomes popular the sheep mentality kicks in and they all want it.

Scotty

What a completely ridiculous statement.

Social source share

Here Here Mr Rimmer Thought someone would pick up on that ridiculous statement, plenty to keep me happy with the quality 60's thing, not that 70's are a bad thing as we need the total spread of era's on the scene today.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Whatever.

It's like a dog chasing it's tale these days with a succession of 70s tunes being chased relentlessly and voraciously by the seemingly clue-less.

Baaaaaaaaaa

Scotty

Another completely ridiculous statement. Do you imagine that every Northern Soul DJ is running round chasing records that you seemed to know about several years ago ? It's about as sensible as me saying all Seventies records are disco records. (Not that I would ever say anything of the kind !)

I can assure you I'm not chasing any Seventies records, so please either qualify your statements, or don't bother making them.

Social source share

just to rub it in even more , i was told by a source that the copy that was sold on johns auction was picked up sealed for £1.99

dave

I didn't think UK 12's came sealed - another northern scene myth???

Whatever, the lad who JM was auctioning it for was laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Scotty

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!