Lift Me - Carl & Gerald

Guest Gogs

In May last year a copy of this sold on JM's auction for £126, but who are Carl & Gerald and/ or the sonics, Did they bring out anything else that we should be listening to.

post-9242-12698282551325_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

In May last year a copy of this sold on JM's auction for £126, but who are Carl & Gerald and/ or the sonics, Did they bring out anything else that we should be listening to.

post-9242-12698282551325_thumb.jpg

dont kno wbut i have had that for a long time but never thought of it as being rare or that good really it is an ok record, but as for carl and gerald i have no idea.

mark

Social source share

just checked JM's guide where this is listed as the sonics value £50. yet like i say he sold it on auction for £126.

Also lists 3 other tracks by the group 2 funk and a northern "crescent walk" on the white cliffs label, not one that i know.

SONICS (FEAT BECKY BOWER) - DO IT WITH SOUL -

CARL & GERALD AND THE SONICS - LIFT ME - COPYRIGHT RECORDS -

Managed to get refosoul clips up of both sides.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

i think "Carl" is Carl Stewart...he had a solo release on Copyright.....also the Carl Stewart on Mercury(i aint goin'back to that) sounds similar vocally...also theres Tony Washington with Carl Stewart and the Sonics on Venture(not the LA label i suspect).."someone always cryin"...which i havent heard..(soundfile anyone?)...Tony Washington also recorded for Jamo and Peacock...ive always thought the guitar style on "Lift Me" sounds like Gerald Sims...is there a Southern/ Chicago connection possibly....(not unheard of )

Social source share

i think "Carl" is Carl Stewart...he had a solo release on Copyright.....also the Carl Stewart on Mercury(i aint goin'back to that) sounds similar vocally...also theres Tony Washington with Carl Stewart and the Sonics on Venture(not the LA label i suspect).."someone always cryin"...which i havent heard..(soundfile anyone?)...Tony Washington also recorded for Jamo and Peacock...ive always thought the guitar style on "Lift Me" sounds like Gerald Sims...is there a Southern/ Chicago connection possibly....(not unheard of )

yep going through JM's guide, I've found Carl Stewart, 2 records listed one 70's and 1 crossover, the 70's also being on the "copyright" label. OK we have got carl. Whom is gerald ?? also the "b" side mentions "Becky Bower" tried googling this but no sucess WHO is she. I know that this was a version of the Poppies song by the same name, but any further info appreciated.

Social source share

• 9 years later...
On 30/03/2010 at 00:45, Gogs said:

yep going through JM's guide, I've found Carl Stewart, 2 records listed one 70's and 1 crossover, the 70's also being on the "copyright" label. OK we have got carl. Whom is gerald ?? also the "b" side mentions "Becky Bower" tried googling this but no sucess WHO is she. I know that this was a version of the Poppies song by the same name, but any further info appreciated.

Becky Bower who sang on the flip of the Carl And Gerald / Sonics (Featuring Becky) single (born March 28, 1949 - died December 10, 2018 in Beaumont, Texas). Her real name was Rebecca Ann Newman

soul Rebecca

The Carl Stewart connection has to be correct (Huey Meaux). Carl was from Beaumont as well

soul Carl Sonics

soul Carl mercury

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!