Va Va's

Guest SCOOBY

I was reading a very early edition of Manifesto & as I turned to the 'letters' page this photo of my older brother was staring back at me.

Don't know why it was in there because there was no reference to it in any of the letters.

Anyway, I asked my brother about it & he said it was taken outside the VaVa. Shame that it only shows a bit of the brickwork at the entrance.

He's the one on the right, Dave Urmston, but he can't remember the name of the guy with all the hair.

Anyone know him?

Chrispost-4140-1270151035981_thumb.jpg

Ray Rickets one of my old stomppin mates when I lived in Droitwich going to the Chatue Impany, Wheel, Orchid etc married a girl off the scene Mandy from Kidderminster

last heard they went to run a pub

Social source share

• 3 months later...

What a great thread this is!

Hi all you lot!

I got rolled outside Va Vas.

Tell you more later.

I am in a poker final on internet this minute and am a little bit "tired"

Love to all of you

Swish

Social source share

Hi all you lot!

Tell you more later.

Love to all of you

Swish

Saturday's medication must have worn off then Robert my old mate :thumbsup:

Thanks for the sterling job - once again - behind the decks at The Torch Reunion on Saturday :thumbsup: .

Malc

Social source share

Thank you Malc.

I've got the damned flu now and feel like crap (hold on whilst I blow my nose for the 1000th tome today)

Does the same medication get rid of flu?

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Heard from Harry --you went down well at Tunstall ,we were in York!!! all weekend, went out with Mr.Walker--catch up soon----hope the Man flu gets better

T.C.

Social source share

Thank you Malc.

I've got the damned flu now and feel like crap (hold on whilst I blow my nose for the 1000th tome today)

Does the same medication get rid of flu?

It always seemed to prevent me getting it :thumbup:

Malc

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Swish

Crikey, you lot were real naughty boys!

Wish you were all here with me now..

Miss you all so.

Meanwhile would Kegsy or Rich Hilel or Charlie Reese contact me on bobswish@hotmail.com

Straight way please

CLEETHORPES ONLY A FORTNIGHT AWAY

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Best Wishes and fondest memories Brent Howarth

Long winded or what??? not even got to Barry Big Eyes or Big Willie from Much Wenlock , Eccles and his brother from Preston , Richie Hills or even my mate Tich from Bolton, Dave Molloys older brother Jimmy. Roger and Colin, and Paul Delaney . LOL

KTF .... Brent.

Paul Delaney. Now there's a name I haven't heard for many years. Is he still with us? Is he on here on Soul Source?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

• 1 year later...

I know this post is donkey's years old but have just been taken back in time reading it......great post  :thumbsup:

anyone remember TROGGS as well!!
I do Nige, it's still there more or less as it was, sort of labour club now, played darts there a couple of years ago and could not believe it was still there, remenber Bob hindsley djin there.

Most certainly do.....spent many a happy, drunken night in there about mid 70's. What a place...... :boxing:

One of the first was The Cromwellian club on Bank St, which is quoted as being instrumental in history of rare soul music (later termed Northern Soul) which drew clientele from all over the North West.

Later the inplace to go was Bolton Palais (now Icon ) where the Dj was the legendary Wycliffe Alan Barratt Jr (Wick) the son of an African American soldier
( Well thats what he always told me )

KTF .... Brent.

Brent......I lived and breathed the Cromwellian in Bolton......my most favourite place in town early 70's. Was where I got acquainted with all the early soul classics down there in the basement. Remember Wick well and recently got back in touch with him through facebook (he's on my friends list).....he lives in Cardiff now. Another DJ from there that I remember well was Colin McGreavy......think he has something to do Bolton's Reebok stadium now, something to do with the entertainment/audio side I think. There was another DJ there who used to spin the records with Wick and Colin that I can picture but just can't remember his name. I think you are absolutely right too about the Cromwellian playing a big part in the soul scene all those years ago......some fab old 60's classics played there. And as for Wick's father being an African American Soldier??? :g: .....I'll ask him for ya!!! haha  :lol:

Soldier Blue ....... Lol It was a shabine run by a guy called Rubin ....... spent many an hour in the cellar playing 3 card brag with Robin Seales and Terry Grundy....

Rubin was the uncle of OLLY and Pat Brady.

Remember Rubin well (wore specs like the bottoms of old milk bottles... :D ), but used to know him better from going to a couple of the cellar parties that he used to have down in the Henry Street area near Orlando Bridge in Bolton (used to get raided a lot by the police :D ).  Sadly not with us anymore (RIP :( ). I used to go to his house sometimes with a guy I was seeing at the time who knew him......remember his wife/partner Jenny  :)

He came up with the Design for one that had two cherubs on it, Tich was sat upstairs one night in the Wheatsheaf with me, Phil Jackson ( Jock), and Martin Valentine, and this badge design came up in conversation.

I used to help out behind the snack bar at the nighter in Va Va 

Loved the Wheatsheaf.....regular haunt and meeting place of mine early 70's. Do you remember Cerbert??

Not sure if it's the same Phil Jackson, but was he a black guy who used to be on the doors at Scamps?? If it's the same one, then he's a friend of mine that I see quite often (was with him on Thursday). Might not be same one though because he's a bit younger than me.

Brent, did you ever know a guy called Oggy (Willy Ogden) who used to work behind the bar at VaVa's?? If you did, I'm still in touch with him and was with him at the same time as Phil Jackson and a few other friends on Thursday  :wink:

Remember Jimmy Muirhead well (very, very sad about his passing...RIP) and still see Fred Dicky at the soul nights at the Rumworth in Bolton. Lots of other names that you might remember as well  :wink:

Edited by Sal
Social source share

We used to hitch a lift every time and never failed to get  there all my Aunts / Uncles Etc were in Bolton or Farnworth I'm sure my Mum had a. Va Va membership for bingo.Not the Cats / Wheel brick walls a glass bannister around the dance floor  great tunes though Volcanoes / Lynne. Randell Etc then on to the Mecca

We being Mick Dickinson - Al Bradbury - and Me 

Stin

Social source share

I know this post is donkey's years old but have just been taken back in time reading it......great post  :thumbsup:

Most certainly do.....spent many a happy, drunken night in there about mid 70's. What a place...... :boxing:

Brent......I lived and breathed the Cromwellian in Bolton......my most favourite place in town early 70's. Was where I got acquainted with all the early soul classics down there in the basement. Remember Wick well and recently got back in touch with him through facebook (he's on my friends list).....he lives in Cardiff now. Another DJ from there that I remember well was Colin McGreavy......think he has something to do Bolton's Reebok stadium now, something to do with the entertainment/audio side I think. There was another DJ there who used to spin the records with Wick and Colin that I can picture but just can't remember his name. I think you are absolutely right too about the Cromwellian playing a big part in the soul scene all those years ago......some fab old 60's classics played there. And as for Wick's father being an African American Soldier??? :g: .....I'll ask him for ya!!! haha  :lol:

Remember Rubin well (wore specs like the bottoms of old milk bottles... :D ), but used to know him better from going to a couple of the cellar parties that he used to have down in the Henry Street area near Orlando Bridge in Bolton (used to get raided a lot by the police :D ).  Sadly not with us anymore (RIP :( ). I used to go to his house sometimes with a guy I was seeing at the time who knew him......remember his wife/partner Jenny  :)

Loved the Wheatsheaf.....regular haunt and meeting place of mine early 70's. Do you remember Cerbert??

Not sure if it's the same Phil Jackson, but was he a black guy who used to be on the doors at Scamps?? If it's the same one, then he's a friend of mine that I see quite often (was with him on Thursday). Might not be same one though because he's a bit younger than me.

Brent, did you ever know a guy called Oggy (Willy Ogden) who used to work behind the bar at VaVa's?? If you did, I'm still in touch with him and was with him at the same time as Phil Jackson and a few other friends on Thursday  :wink:

Remember Jimmy Muirhead well (very, very sad about his passing...RIP) and still see Fred Dicky at the soul nights at the Rumworth in Bolton. Lots of other names that you might remember as well  :wink:

hi ...  i knew Ceeburt very well lol .......    no the phil jjackson i referred to was ..  jock from chip hill rd...   i know the other phil jackson ....    and still see him about   and his ex linda ....    next time your in the rumworth introduce yourself  i am always in ... i dj it .lol  ...       i still see willy oggy from time to time ..   we have been mates from being kids.....     take care .....    regards ..Brent

• Helpful 2
Social source share

hi ...  i knew Ceeburt very well lol .......    no the phil jjackson i referred to was ..  jock from chip hill rd...   i know the other phil jackson ....    and still see him about   and his ex linda ....    next time your in the rumworth introduce yourself  i am always in ... i dj it .lol  ...       i still see willy oggy from time to time ..   we have been mates from being kids.....     take care .....    regards ..Brent

Oh nice one Brent....will have to ask after you next time I'm there and come and say 'ello  :thumbsup:

Social source share

My only recollection of this venue is this. My mate Dave Thomas persuaded me to go one night, but I can't remember the year. Anyway we hadn't a clue where it was, and we had persuaded a rich kid who had a car to take us. I seem to remember we found the club, or should I say we found the que that were waiting to get in. We lived in the sticks and were very naive, and the sight of what to us was a very scary looking crowd [i'm sure there was one guy dressed like Leo Sayer in the clown suit and full make up] had us heading back to the safety of the car and off back home.  :lol:

Then on another occasion I think we went again, but it had been shut down and there had been a fire?  :g:

I was a right wus.  :lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi all you lot!

Tell you more later.

Love to all of you

Swish

One particular Friday my mate Dave Hornsby (R.I.P Dave) got rolled "inside"

following Friday exact same happened to me.... SCAREEEE! :(

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I was a cocky 16 yr old  and remember vividly the night i first met Coddy Hughes,,,,  At one end there was a small" Dance Floor  ( about 8 foot in diameter ) that became the hang out area  for the Bolton Lads  one night i was coming back to the cloakroom,,,, after having a break. When i was stopped by a tall bloke with long hair and a long leather coat.. who said  " Its Coddy Hughes Birthday and we are having a collection ... give me Quid "    I Replied ,,  Tell Coddy Hughes happy birthday and  to f**k  off ...      

A few minutes later  A gruff voice with a beaming smile came to the cloakroom and said  Ayup Youth  whats yer name ?   Brent ,,, Who wants to Know ???         The Names Coddy  and i am told you wished me happy birthday but want me to Fook Off ?            I said sorry pal     some bloke was trying to roll me  ...      he laughed and said ,, your alright kid  it isnt often i am told to f*ck off  and the other Bloke is Paddy from Warrington ........   if anyone gives you grief come and see me or paddy ....      

From that night for years we became good friends  and i heard many stories about being a stoke supporter

Rest in Peace mate ,,,,,,,,    Respect

Edited by brent
Social source share

My mate Dave Hornsby... R.I.P was rolled this particular night, had £8 taken from him.

Following week i too was cornered, same tall bloke, had a blade pressed into my belly,

took my wallet from me and by coincidence also took £8 (all i had left). Told two people,

first was the big black bouncer, second was my pal Black Hector from Bradford. They both

asked me to point this bloke out but me being scared of any "come-back" declined.

All i will say is the bloke was a notorious character (with his gang) from Lanc's.

Everytime i went to the club before & after we had good teenage times.

Last year i worked on a power station, got talkin to a Bolton mechy fitter and it turned

out he was a barman at VA VA's.... and possibly served me :)

Social source share

For me, it was my first allnighter with some of the Ormskirk crowd. Mandy Edis, Porky, Steve Marchant, Tommy Allinson, Pete Winrow etc. First record I heard was Alice Clarke "You Hit Me". Memories of the night, as John said Chrome, and big glass panels(some missing, & people falling through!laugh.gif ). Mel Williams "Can It Be Me", Timothy Wilson "Love Is Like An Itching", Jackie Follett "There's A Moment", and the Rolling Stones Version of "Under My Thumb"ohmy.gif . Didn't realise that the scene was chemically stimulatedno.gif . Only got into Va Vas once, the second time I wasn't old enoughbiggrin.gif . Fortunately this time I was in a friends car.

I remember dancing, and it suddenly felt like it was raining sideways. I found out later, I was dancing next to Booper and he went into a spin.

Anyway John, I don't think you wore your uniform in school, so what were you doing wearing it out?laugh.gif

Paul

Some interesting names from the distant past there Paul :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

First allnighter for me was Va Va.  First time went with a couple of mates on the train from Worcester, sometime in Summer 73.  It wasn't that busy and I confess I fell asleep.  But not before I'd heard Linda Jones JCLML, which, there and then, became my all time favourite. Others that night included the Adventurers, Earl Grant, Lord Thunder, The Gems, and for some reason Ann D'Andrea sticks in my mind.

Next time, two of us got a mini-bus going with a couple of older lads on board who had been to the Torch/Cats.  A short stop at Knutsford "for fuel" ensured no-one slept later. This time the place was rammed.  Landslide was playing as we got in as a new discovery.  It was electric.

One great thing was the booth was right on the dance floor.  Anytime you heard a record you didn't know, you could peak at the decks and gaze at it in (very wide eyed) awe.  

Happy days...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 7 months later...

Oh man, I used to love Va Va`s. Went nearly every week while it stayed open (not long, abt. 6 months). Used to travel all the way up from Cambridge in the back of my mate Giovanni`s van, usually with Trevor Dobinson  (Maggot) , Gerald Stewart (Irish), Martin Wilby and various other reprobates. I remember the slightly raised dance floor and the coloured glass and chrome surrounding it. Richard used to play Brilliant records; Frank Beverly "If thats what you wanted"on Gamble, Frankie and the classicalls, Timothy Wilson "Love is ls like an itching etc", The Righteous Bros Band "Rat Race", Johnnie Howard "the chase is on", The Mob "Open the door to yr. heart", Ben Aiken "satisfied", The Adventurers "Easy Baby". I could go on for ages; even weird shit like "the Beautiful Place"seemed cool back then. It had a slightly edgy vibe, like something might kick off any moment, but that might have been the effect of the gear! Nearly all the sounds were fast, and the dancers were amazing too. Happy Times.

Social source share

On 4/27/2015, 7:19:54, Labeat said:

My mate Dave Hornsby... R.I.P was rolled this particular night, had £8 taken from him.

Following week i too was cornered, same tall bloke, had a blade pressed into my belly,

took my wallet from me and by coincidence also took £8 (all i had left). Told two people,

first was the big black bouncer, second was my pal Black Hector from Bradford. They both

asked me to point this bloke out but me being scared of any "come-back" declined.

All i will say is the bloke was a notorious character (with his gang) from Lanc's.

Everytime i went to the club before & after we had good teenage times.

Last year i worked on a power station, got talkin to a Bolton mechy fitter and it turned

out he was a barman at VA VA's.... and possibly served me :)

Social source share

This "notorious  character" and his gang weren`t from Preston by any chance were they? My pal Martin Wilby got rolled by them one night in the bogs, lost all his cash and his dubes!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

A bit late reading all the comments !!!! I'm looking for more info about the floor plan and decor of the club .I know there's a shortage of photos from back then but can anyone help with rough drawings of the general layout ,seating plans office positions, etc.etc..approx measures would help too. If I get enough detail I intend making a scale model of the club,thanks 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!