The Cost Of Rareity

Why are we so hung up over the value of Rare Soul Records ?.

There are several groups of collectors/record buyers who have differing opinions:

There are the cheque book collectors/DJ's & comentators who will buy/champion anything that is expensive for the kudos/willy waving factor, regardless of whether the said record is actually any good or not.

On the other hand there are collectors/DJ's & commentators who for whatever reason constantly 'slate' Rare Soul Records, including the absolutely brilliant, just because they are worth a lot of money.

To me personally, I dont care what a record is worth in financial terms, I will collect Soul records that move me regadless of price, occasionally I may be a bit flush, so if a 'want' comes up that is a bit more expensive I will purchase those along with everything else, but ultimately its about the quality of the music regardless of the price tag.

I know we are talking extremes here & most of us fit into the middle ground, but I do get very frustrated when the value of a record seems to over shadow the quality, whether cheap or expensive..........its also very frustrating when you get comments like I dont like that Rare stuff..........most NS classics were/are rare, some very common records, when first discovered were extremely expensive, comparatively speaking, as expensive as records are these days, but people didnt say I dont like that because its Rare, so when did this line of thought become exceptable.......the whole scene is based on Rare Records after all, whether expensive or not.

I thinks the best feeling in the world, is when a disc you have loved, cherished & championed forever, that was bought because you loved the tune, goes on to become appreciated by the masses...........however, if you bought the record cheaply, does that make it crap if it turns out to be quite rare & the price goes up accordingly ???. If the disc was bought cheaply & remains cheap after becoming popular, does this make it less of a good record ???.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest wigan bob

There are several groups of collectors/record buyers who have differing opinions:

There are the cheque book collectors/DJ's & comentators who will buy/champion anything that is expensive for the kudos/willy waving factor, regardless of whether the said record is actually any good or not.

On the other hand there are collectors/DJ's & commentators who for whatever reason constantly 'slate' Rare Soul Records, including the absolutely brilliant, just because they are worth a lot of money.

To me personally, I dont care what a record is worth in financial terms, I will collect Soul records that move me regadless of price, occasionally I may be a bit flush, so if a 'want' comes up that is a bit more expensive I will purchase those along with everything else, but ultimately its about the quality of the music regardless of the price tag.

I know we are talking extremes here & most of us fit into the middle ground, but I do get very frustrated when the value of a record seems to over shadow the quality, whether cheap or expensive..........its also very frustrating when you get comments like I dont like that Rare stuff..........most NS classics were/are rare, some very common records, when first discovered were extremely expensive, comparatively speaking, as expensive as records are these days, but people didnt say I dont like that because its Rare, so when did this line of thought become exceptable.......the whole scene is based on Rare Records after all, whether expensive or not.

I thinks the best feeling in the world, is when a disc you have loved, cherished & championed forever, that was bought because you loved the tune, goes on to become appreciated by the masses...........however, if you bought the record cheaply, does that make it crap if it turns out to be quite rare & the price goes up accordingly ???. If the disc was bought cheaply & remains cheap after becoming popular, does this make it less of a good record ???.

Russ

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

Russ

what gets me russs is all the most popualar rare records turn up and the least poualar rare ones dont

Social source share

Russ

Hello Russ mate.Havent seen you in ages fella!

Anyway its all about "soul" aint it mate.

Betty Lavette-Let me down easy Cheap but cant get much more soulful IMHO £20?

Jimmy Andrews-Big City Playboy Rockin Horse rare but also does it for me £2000

I think its down to what kind of person you are and why you buy

I buy because I like to think I appreciate the sound irrespective of price.Its whether it "hits" my soul button.

I do get the feeling some buy for narcissistic reasons though

Catch up sometime

Best

ROB

p.s. remember the Colony Club Newbury?

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Is there any other way to collect the music you love ?

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

I buy because I like to think I appreciate the sound irrespective of price.Its whether it "hits" my soul button.

Catch up sometime

Best

ROB

went a few times colony was a proper soul club

Social source share

Russ

I agree with your interesting post. I would like to buy all my records for as cheap as I can get them.

If you like a record I do not see why the price should make any difference, but rare expensive records do have a bit of a glow to them!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Catch up sometime

Best

ROB

Hi Rob

Great post buddy. The Colony Club was a proper Nighter Rob, I'm soooooooooo proud of what was acheived there, we were all much younger & personally I was very naive with regards to promoting, but the music was a bit special for the time, you & Elaine were always perfect to deal with, with regards to the venue & very accomodating with all of my little foibles !..........mind you, you guys are soul lovers too & that made the difference.

I was once asked what I hoped the legacy of the Uptown Down South 'Whole of Soul' All - Nighter & Soul Nights would be & half jokingly I replied

'If I'm at a Nighter in 10 years time & overhear a coversation in the bogs about how much someone enjoyed the Nighters, then we made our mark' Well, that has happened several times over the years...............great nights of proper soul music & great live acts in Sam Dees & Jeff Perry, together with great DJ's playing from the heart with a passion & of course great punters who knew how to enjoy themselves without boundaries in there tastes in Rare Soul..............................

I'm working in Baghdad right now mate, so only get home occasionally, but tend to cane the Nighters when I do, so I'll see ya round the bizarres.

Take care & love to Elaine

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert