Margaret Little,love Finds A Way

De-to

Guest gordon russell

FRED KROLL HAS A COPY........never sold a tune out of his collection............if you collect out of a love for the music why should you go around telling all and sundry..........it,s a personal thing........not to look big.smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

FRED KROLL HAS A COPY........never sold a tune out of his collection............if you collect out of a love for the music why should you go around telling all and sundry..........it,s a personal thing........not to look big.smile.gif

Difference is I'm a DJ so play my records out, so don't know how I can keep quiet about something I play out, do youbiggrin.gif .

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

laugh.gif:hypo::wave:

Anyone spot the irony!

You're barking Mate! :D

But you meks oiy laaarf! :yes::P

Social source share

This copy is on its way to New York City.

That'll have confounded a few then Greg :yes:

Everytime we go through this "who's got a copy of x" chatter will have to remember collecting rare soul isn't just a British thing :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

IF THERE ARE SIX OTHERS.....PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTHS ARE AND LETS SEE EM'.....DONT BE AFRAID NOW.....ITS LIKE THE "UNDISCOVERED WIGAN FOOTAGE" AND ALL THOSE THOUSANDS OF PICCYS THAT PEOPLE BEGRUDGINGLY DONT WANT TO DIVULGE OR DISCUSS.......WHY EVEN MENTION THE FACT IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO SHOW THEM...

AM I RIGHT SOULSOURCERS?????

WE KNOW SAM GOT HIS OFF DES & ADEY, MICK AQQUIRED HIS SHORTLY AFTERWARDS......APPOLOGIES TO THE OTHER GUY WITH REGARDS TO THERE BEING THREE BUT IF THIS IS NOT A "3RD FRANK WILSON DISCOVERED BY TWO HIP-HOP COLLECTORS IN CHICAGO" WIND-UP......MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN BECAUSE RIDICULE IS A WORD VERY EASILY FURNISHED ON THIS SCENE!.

ROB.H

Turn the caps lock off and try to speak some sense.

Social source share

What a fantastic bit of Detroit Northern.It would never do for us all to like the same tunes!!!

Does it matter how many copies there are? Most that slag it off would quicky get a new white cardboard sleeve and pretty it up and insert the tune in pride of place in their record box in the blink of an eye.

PS I think you will find that Sam played this prior to 2002

"What a fantastic bit of Detroit Northern"

Quite so!

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

That'll have confounded a few then Greg :laugh:

Everytime we go through this "who's got a copy of x" chatter will have to remember collecting rare soul isn't just a British thing thumbsup.gif

Too true Steve, and I think we will find more and more big (rare) tunes going outside the UK over the coming years, as in the case of ML they are actually staying where they were produced. I send about 40% of my sales outside the UK, it's a growing thing, majority of my UK buyers tend to buy new releases, re-issues and boots, these days.

Social source share

i heard it was the daughter of Popcorn's dentist ?? who he owed money too ?? can't remember where i saw that tho !!

It was The daughter of Popcorn's postman, done as a favour, or so I'm told.

This is interesting as I wasn't sure if ML was/is white or black. Based on the vocal I'd say white. Sixties Detroit with a postman dad, or was he a dentist?

28021139.png

:thumbsup:

Social source share

What a fantastic bit of Detroit Northern.It would never do for us all to like the same tunes!!!

Does it matter how many copies there are? Most that slag it off would quicky get a new white cardboard sleeve and pretty it up and insert the tune in pride of place in their record box in the blink of an eye.

PS I think you will find that Sam played this prior to 2002

SAM played the Cressett Peterborough in 1999 :thumbsup:

Social source share

SAM played the Cressett Peterborough in 1999 :thumbsup:

Don't wish to be contradictory but..... :yes: .........first heard Sam play it at his 60th Birthday do at Albrighton - he was raving over it and had just got it. That was NOT 1999 or anywhere like it.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Don't wish to be contradictory but..... no.gif .........first heard Sam play it at his 60th Birthday do at Albrighton - he was raving over it and had just got it. That was NOT 1999 or anywhere like it.

Steve

Hi Steve,Paul's comment comes from a discussion he and I had yesterday regarding ML.Sam played this some years ago at the Cresset Annual Soul club re-union in Peterborough.The date of his visit eluded me,Paul confirmed it was 1999.If that date is correct then that's when he played ML .

But hey ho whats it matter really.it wont change a great tune.

Social source share

Don't wish to be contradictory but..... :no: .........first heard Sam play it at his 60th Birthday do at Albrighton - he was raving over it and had just got it. That was NOT 1999 or anywhere like it.

Steve

Well I'll contradict you wink.gif .

Sam's 60th was a few months earlier. By memory, he'd actually first played it at the last Albrighton on 1st December 2001 - the night of that unusually large full moon.

The reason I remember this, was that while I was sent to work in the UK, I had met Sam's best mate there that night (after a close female friend in Oz had asked me to say hello) and we 'clicked', and chatted all night. But this shy lovely man apologised for needing to divert his attention away to hear that particular record*, which Sam had just bought and raved to him about.

...it's never made me cream my pants, but hey - each to their own.

m

* ps. I'll probably get corrected now :lol:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Well I'll contradict you :wink: .

Sam's 60th was a few months earlier. By memory, he'd actually first played it at the last Albrighton on 1st December 2001 - the night of that unusually large full moon.

The reason I remember this, was that while I was sent to work in the UK, I had met Sam's best mate there that night (after a close female friend in Oz had asked me to say hello) and we 'clicked', and chatted all night. But this shy lovely man apologised for needing to divert his attention away to hear that particular record*, which Sam had just bought and raved to him about.

m

* ps. I'll probably get corrected now :laugh:

Hi Maria

I've not wanted to get involved in this until I'd had chance to speak to Sam, but I'll now do that over the weekend and try to confirm when he first acquired ML, although trying to explain to him that this is a topic of some debate in cyberspace will be totally beyond his understanding of reality as he knows it!!

I really don't think he had the record in 2001 as Broughton had only been running for some 12-18 months then and we were definitely well into our 4th/5th year when ML was exposed at the Wings Club for the first time (and you'll well know that Sam doesn't hide his light under any bushell when he's just acquired a 'winner').

If I was putting money on this I'd confidently say late 2004/early 2005.

From the horse's mouth..............................................soon!

Brian

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Maria

I stand corrected (thanks Simon for confirmation - it's just saved me some money on a bet, although I still find it hard to believe that it was so long ago!).

It now saves me a call to Sam and having to try to explain the cyberspace debate to him!!

Maria - it must have been 'for real' to cement the date in your mind - as the record says - 'Love finds a way'!!

Nurse, bring me my pills!

Brian

Social source share

Well I'll contradict you wink.gif .

m

* ps. I'll probably get corrected now laugh.gif

been a while since i came to this thread having been given a theoretical earbashing but nevertheless, spot on with the observatoin about sam and albrighton so anyone else with silly notions of it being premiered elsewhere had better consult mr.barnfather himself! ( tongue out....na na nee na na!!)

rob.h

Social source share

Hi Maria

I've not wanted to get involved in this until I'd had chance to speak to Sam, but I'll now do that over the weekend and try to confirm when he first acquired ML, although trying to explain to him that this is a topic of some debate in cyberspace will be totally beyond his understanding of reality as he knows it!!

I really don't think he had the record in 2001 as Broughton had only been running for some 12-18 months then and we were definitely well into our 4th/5th year when ML was exposed at the Wings Club for the first time (and you'll well know that Sam doesn't hide his light under any bushell when he's just acquired a 'winner').

If I was putting money on this I'd confidently say late 2004/early 2005.

From the horse's mouth..............................................soon!

Brian

with respect, i think you'll find he did have it in 2001 as i witnessed it with my own eyes and if you're still not convinced check out soulfulkindamusic.co.uk and the albrighton p,aylist "last all-nighter" which was compiled, exhaustively by myself.

#rob.h

Social source share

just for Brians info....

can remember purchase was being discussed online at the time

and almost instantly heard it (same day/nite) at llandudno's carlton sunday nite and then as mark says at broughton the next weekend

sure sam played it twice in the one spot at broughton

carlton was on 2001-2002 - can look up dates later if it means anything to anyone

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

just for Brians info....

can remember purchase was being discussed online at the time

and almost instantly heard it (same day/nite) at llandudno's carlton sunday nite and then as mark says at broughton the next weekend

sure sam played it twice in the one spot at broughton

carlton was on 2001-2002 - can look up dates later if it means anything to anyone

Mike

Thanks for this. I spoke with Sam last night and told him about the debate on ML here on SS.

Asked him about the date he acquired it and first played it. Said he had no idea, but didn't think he'd had it 9 years (2001), but then said 'time flies', so can't confirm one way or t'other rolleyes.gif

He wasn't particularly interested in trying to work out the date - he's on to other things now - ML consigned to history (however long ago that might have been! laugh.gif ).

Brian

Social source share

Guest martyn

ONE THING I'M SURE OF .....IF BOOK PRICE WAS SAY MAYBE A PALTRY £500, NOBODY WOULD BE TALKIN' ABOUT THIS CRUD :no:thumbsup.gif

BRI PINCH.

Can't agree Bri , I think this is one of the few post 2000 discoveries that would have filled the floors in the 70s & 80s . :yes:

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

So not Dave or Andy !!, anyone spoken to Pete yet ??:yes:

Ian.

Not me either unfortunately, I bid a bit less than Dave & my mate over here Barry Simpson went 5.9. Don't forget its really only USD3550 coz the other side is equally as good IMO:laugh:

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Well I'll contradict you :yes: .

m

* ps. I'll probably get corrected now :thumbsup:

Well in the words of the Bobby patterson song "Right place, wrong time" :D:lol:

Social source share

Guest wayne wisner

how much will this go for about 3 days to go,!!!:unsure::ph34r:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item414e489e61

I found this Margaret Little thread here very interesting; who has her records, how many exist etc. I've been collecting old soul records here in Detroit for a couple years now and have found 2 copies of Margaret Little. After I found the first one I was talking, at a bar, with the owner of a local record store who bragged, well, said, that he'd found 2 copies. Those 2 that he found are the first 2 listed on Popsike. The first copy I found was in a pile of about 25 45s strewn outside a dumpster on Detroit's west side where I was working. ¾'s of those records had Tony Hester's name written on them (there were 2 copies of Jimmy Delphs "Dancing a Hole...", Peoples Choice on Palmer, Sam Ward, Hollidays, etc). That copy of ML sold in 9/08 for $7400. Before it sold I looked at Manship's "Rarest" section and it was not there, 2 weeks after it sold, it was there. The 2nd copy I found just recently, a NEIGHBOR(!) of mine said she heard I buy records, she has a box for me to look through. The ML 45 was the only remotely interesting record in the box, which WAS interesting enough that I almost fainted! Yes I got it for cheap, yes I will bring her some more bread. That record should be in a NYC DJ's hands right about now.

The fact that I, a part time, soul record collector/hobbyist, so easily found 2 copies of ML in less than 2 years , points to either me being impossibly lucky, or, that record not being that rare. It seems like, to doesn't-know-much me anyways, that with Tony Hester and Richard Wylie and Mike Terry being involved, that that record shouldn't be so rare. A friend recently suggested to me that maybe someone didn't distribute them like they were supposed to, they are probably sitting in boxes in some basement in Detroit. If that were true then chances are theyd've long since been burned with that basement or been bulldozed under. In which case that record would be rare. If, or when, I find another one, we'll talk about it again.

I keep reading that that record came out in 1960. Is this someone's educated guess, or is there some documentation that is being cited? I would love to know more about Margaret Little. Someone must know something more than this dentist or mailman stuff.

I'm not a DJ, (I don't even like dancing), I'm more of a punk rock guy living in the ghetto here. I think the Margaret Little record, both sides, are Fuggin-A great songs that I love turning people on to every chance I get! Thanks for reading. -waynewisner

Social source share

I found this Margaret Little thread here very interesting; who has her records, how many exist etc. I’ve been collecting old soul records here in Detroit for a couple years now and have found 2 copies of Margaret Little. After I found the first one I was talking, at a bar, with the owner of a local record store who bragged, well, said, that he’d found 2 copies. Those 2 that he found are the first 2 listed on Popsike. The first copy I found was in a pile of about 25 45s strewn outside a dumpster on Detroit’s west side where I was working. ¾’s of those records had Tony Hester’s name written on them (there were 2 copies of Jimmy Delphs “Dancing a Hole...”, Peoples Choice on Palmer, Sam Ward, Hollidays, etc). That copy of ML sold in 9/08 for $7400. Before it sold I looked at Manship’s “Rarest” section and it was not there, 2 weeks after it sold, it was there. The 2nd copy I found just recently, a NEIGHBOR(!) of mine said she heard I buy records, she has a box for me to look through. The ML 45 was the only remotely interesting record in the box, which WAS interesting enough that I almost fainted! Yes I got it for cheap, yes I will bring her some more bread. That record should be in a NYC DJ’s hands right about now.

The fact that I, a part time, soul record collector/hobbyist, so easily found 2 copies of ML in less than 2 years , points to either me being impossibly lucky, or, that record not being that rare. It seems like, to doesn’t-know-much me anyways, that with Tony Hester and Richard Wylie and Mike Terry being involved, that that record shouldn’t be so rare. A friend recently suggested to me that maybe someone didn’t distribute them like they were supposed to, they are probably sitting in boxes in some basement in Detroit. If that were true then chances are theyd've long since been burned with that basement or been bulldozed under. In which case that record would be rare. If, or when, I find another one, we’ll talk about it again.

I keep reading that that record came out in 1960. Is this someone’s educated guess, or is there some documentation that is being cited? I would love to know more about Margaret Little. Someone must know something more than this dentist or mailman stuff.

I’m not a DJ, (I don’t even like dancing), I’m more of a punk rock guy living in the ghetto here. I think the Margaret Little record, both sides, are Fuggin-A great songs that I love turning people on to every chance I get! Thanks for reading. –waynewisner

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the insight Wayne very interesting. Your dumpster finds are something else :yes:

Think ML is actually a rare record. You know we plundered Detroit for everything for years in the 70s / 80s, and this one didn't show up until a few years ago. The amount of people going there, the amount of records taken etc. it would have turned up before if it was common. Probably not distributed as you say. Our biggest dealer at the time also had access to all Popcorn's stuff. I interviewed Popcorn in 1982 - long interview - no mention of it there either. I'd put it at 66, deffo not 1960, the production smacks of that fast Motown sound.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Probably a "custom" record, with all the talent at his disposal, "Popcorn" would never have recorded ML, unless paid to.....or, as a favour!! Fantastic production, but she is not a brilliant singer (can we agree on thatthumbsup.gif) , so when she went trotting away from the pressing plant with her 200 or 400 copies, "Popcorn" obviously felt no inclination to keep one or put it on his C.V. So, apart from the copies that she managed to give away to friends & family, the rest are probably in her loft, or landfill!! All speculation, I'm afraid, but a theory that could fit in nicely with the "Postman" information.

Des Parker

Social source share

Can't agree Bri , I think this is one of the few post 2000 discoveries that would have filled the floors in the 70s & 80s . yes.gif

MAYBE SO MART, BUT THERE WAS ALSO PLENTY OF AVERAGE STUFF LIKE THIS THAT FILLED THE FLOOR BACK IN THE 70T'S - 80T'S TOO, AS WELL AS TODAY.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, 25TH APRIL, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

Probably a "custom" record, with all the talent at his disposal, "Popcorn" would never have recorded ML, unless paid to.....or, as a favour!! Fantastic production, but she is not a brilliant singer (can we agree on thatthumbsup.gif) , so when she went trotting away from the pressing plant with her 200 or 400 copies, "Popcorn" obviously felt no inclination to keep one or put it on his C.V. So, apart from the copies that she managed to give away to friends & family, the rest are probably in her loft, or landfill!! All speculation, I'm afraid, but a theory that could fit in nicely with the "Postman" information.

Des Parker

Always been my take on it Des.

Social source share

Des Parker

I agree with you, custom record very likely. The backing is pure Detroit class yet the voice is rather 'thin', I'd even say Popcorn took an unused backing track from his vaults and dubbed her singing over it. I don't think he would made the effort to use a full backing band on ML.

Social source share

Guest martyn

MAYBE SO MART, BUT THERE WAS ALSO PLENTY OF AVERAGE STUFF LIKE THIS THAT FILLED THE FLOOR BACK IN THE 70T'S - 80T'S TOO, AS WELL AS TODAY.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, 25TH APRIL, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Fair call , but few (if any) of todays discoveries have that gritty Detroit feel to them where as ML has .............Cant for one moment see another Popcorn / Terry sound from that era turning up , hope I'm wrong ,but ML could be the last of this kind of tunage still kicking around (?)

Social source share

Des Parker

BOUT SUMS IT ALL UP PERFECT DES, ABSOLUTELY, BLINDING DETROIT BACKING TRACK WITH A WELL BELOW AVERAGE VOCAL, SHOULD ONLY BE REGARDED IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS THE LIIKES OF ANDREA HENRY, BUT IT AIN'T COS IT'S ABOUT 6,000 TIMES RARER. CHANCES ARE THEY ONLY MAYBE PRESSED 100 OR SO COPIES OF THIS AND MOST OF EM ENDED UP IN THE DUMPER :yes: AND IT'S DEFFO A MID TO LATE 60T'S PRESS :D

BRI PINCH.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@ HORSE AND GROOM, APRIL 25TH, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

I agree with you, custom record very likely. The backing is pure Detroit class yet the voice is rather 'thin', I'd even say Popcorn took an unused backing track from his vaults and dubbed her singing over it. I don't think he would made the effort to use a full backing band on ML.

wonder if the backing track will turn up again on owt ?? hopefully with better vocals lol

found by dumpsters !! see thats where i would have been looking in the 1st place probably after waking up drunk by them laugh.giflaugh.gif

Ian.

Social source share

I found this Margaret Little thread here very interesting; who has her records, how many exist etc. I've been collecting old soul records here in Detroit for a couple years now and have found 2 copies of Margaret Little. After I found the first one I was talking, at a bar, with the owner of a local record store who bragged, well, said, that he'd found 2 copies. Those 2 that he found are the first 2 listed on Popsike. The first copy I found was in a pile of about 25 45s strewn outside a dumpster on Detroit's west side where I was working. ¾'s of those records had Tony Hester's name written on them (there were 2 copies of Jimmy Delphs "Dancing a Hole...", Peoples Choice on Palmer, Sam Ward, Hollidays, etc). That copy of ML sold in 9/08 for $7400. Before it sold I looked at Manship's "Rarest" section and it was not there, 2 weeks after it sold, it was there. The 2nd copy I found just recently, a NEIGHBOR(!) of mine said she heard I buy records, she has a box for me to look through. The ML 45 was the only remotely interesting record in the box, which WAS interesting enough that I almost fainted! Yes I got it for cheap, yes I will bring her some more bread. That record should be in a NYC DJ's hands right about now.

The fact that I, a part time, soul record collector/hobbyist, so easily found 2 copies of ML in less than 2 years , points to either me being impossibly lucky, or, that record not being that rare. It seems like, to doesn't-know-much me anyways, that with Tony Hester and Richard Wylie and Mike Terry being involved, that that record shouldn't be so rare. A friend recently suggested to me that maybe someone didn't distribute them like they were supposed to, they are probably sitting in boxes in some basement in Detroit. If that were true then chances are theyd've long since been burned with that basement or been bulldozed under. In which case that record would be rare. If, or when, I find another one, we'll talk about it again.

I keep reading that that record came out in 1960. Is this someone's educated guess, or is there some documentation that is being cited? I would love to know more about Margaret Little. Someone must know something more than this dentist or mailman stuff.

I'm not a DJ, (I don't even like dancing), I'm more of a punk rock guy living in the ghetto here. I think the Margaret Little record, both sides, are Fuggin-A great songs that I love turning people on to every chance I get! Thanks for reading. -waynewisner

nice post wayne,i would love to know more about m.little and this 45,are there any other tunes on the genebro label,???unsure.gifph34r.gif

Social source share

nice post wayne,i would love to know more about m.little and this 45,are there any other tunes on the genebro label,???unsure.gifph34r.gif

every chance the label name is an abreviation much in the same way as jobete so, if its possible to find out whose label it was, that might lead to the artist....of course it might just be a made-up name but this is not usually the case with northern soul records as there is always a story lurking in the background. the moral of the story appears to be: if its gonna be anywhere, its "down in the dumps"ter....get it?

rob.h

Social source share

• 4 years later...

I love this tune in my opinion this is at the apex of mid 1960`s Detroit recordings. I have had the pleasure of hearing this out twice in recent months, at stoke last month via mick h and at keele via Ginger. This is what I love about the rare soul scene ordinary people doing extraordinary things such as recording this great record, thank you Margaret Little for your efforts all those years ago you were not a failure as the full dance floors at venues testifies.

Social source share

I thought there was a copy on about 2 years go with a big chip out of it affecting 10 seconds intro sure it went for 2000 maybe dollars,, 

ANY WAY IST BALANCE TIME CAN SOMEBODY SELL ME ONE IN YORKSHIRE BEFORE THE NORTH WEST STARTS SLIPPING AND BUMPING INTO IRLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at RAFA Club Saturday keeping the weight down in Sunny North Est, (Will have Colin and Maybe Howard) plus Shirl that should tilt it back this way.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

I'll always remember discussing Gwen Owens at Nottingham Palais with Gary Rushbrooke 76/77 when it was the biggest record in the country and a supposed oneoff.

gary said "there's a lad three miles down the road who has one" I've seen it.

My point being. There are so many collectors out there who no one knows of, who can say for sure theres only 3 or 4 of whatever.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Haven,t The Willinghams got one of these? I,m sure I,ve heard them play it on more than one occasion.I can only presume it,s NOT the £8.99 copy!!!!!

Don't think so, they've DJ'd at Solid Hit for the last 7/8 years & every year kindly record a cd that we give away at the door & I think that if they had one they would have put it on a cd. They always put top rarities on, Parliaments rainy day for example. Of course doesn't mean they haven't & they could have found one since last August when they last DJd for us so maybe this year :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!