What Is A Tittyshaker?

I keep coming across this term 'Tittyshaker' and as much as it conjures up a lovely picture in my mind rolleyes.gif I honestly have no idea what it refers to.no.gif

Could it be stomping RnB with 200rpm tambourine beats?

Is it some wierd form of popcorn?

Hopefully someone out there can enlighten me.

Faithfully

Kev

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I keep coming across this term 'Tittyshaker' and as much as it conjures up a lovely picture in my mind rolleyes.gif I honestly have no idea what it refers to.no.gif

Faithfully

Kev

Just keep the 'lovely picture' in your mind, by the time this thread is through - you'll be none the wiseryes.gif

Social source share

Faithfully

Kev

Anything that the lovely Kirsty dances tosmile.gif

Social source share

I know what a Titty Shaker is............................................

Its my Burlesque Nipple Tassles & i want to shake them at a Soul night! wicked.gif

Debbie x

sounds good to me yes.gif it might even get me back to attending events regularly if i knew that was going on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I would have thought it's something like this.

Wait till the Go-Go dancers appear at about 0:53 and you'll see what I mean.

biggrin.gif

Good old Marvin - somehow still concentrating on the job in hand.

biggrin.gif:thumbsup:

MB

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Titty shakers Cd if you want one?

THE ROCK-A-FELLAS / EDDIE BELL & THE ROCK-A-FELLAS

COED 512

NIGHT PARTY / COUNTIN' THE DAYS

SIR WHITE & HIS SOUNDS

REDBUG 0001

DOIN' THE SCRATCH / MOODY DREAMER

THE NU-TRONS.

ELDEE 85

BEAT / SEARCHIN'

THE WOBBLERS

KING 5585

THE WOBBLE / BLOW OUT

DON MARKHAM & THE MARKSMEN.

DONNA 1323

HULLY GULLY TRUMPETS / THE SHUCK

THE TURBO-JETS

FEDERAL 12353

FAR EAST CHA CHA CHA / SO SASSY

THE PRECISIANS.

NOMAD 12552

I'VE GOT TO HAVE (THE PRECISIAN SOUND) / DON'T LISTEN TO HIM

THE ROYALTONES.

JUBILEE 5338

WAIL! / POOR BOY

TEDDY & THE ROUGH RIDERS

TILT 778

TOMAHAWK / THUNDER HEAD

TEDDY & THE CLOCK-WATCHERS

WARNER BROTHERS 5626

KINKY / YOU WERE MADE FOR ME

NOBLE WATTS

CLAMIKE 501

TEEN-SCENE / JOHN FRIDAY'S SON

BILL FOLAND & HIS SURFS.

TISHMAN 903

JUST ANOTHER SIDE / SURFIN' TRUMPETS

THE ORIGINALS

JACKPOT 48007

THE WHIP / BLUE KAT

FELIX SLATKIN

LIBERTY 55232

TURKISH BATH / THE HAPPY HOBO

THE FRATERNITY BROTHERS

VERVE 10127

BULLDOZER / STUDY HALL

THE CARNATIONS.

FRATERNITY 863

CASUAL / RED WING

THE CARNATIONS.

TILT 780

SCORPION / FIREBALL MAIL

SONNY FLAHARTY & THE YOUNG AMERICANS.

P A Q 21

COCONUT STOMP PART 1 / COCONUT STOMP PART 2

TONY & JOE

ERA 1075

THE FREEZE / GONNA GET A LITTLE KISSIN' TONIGHT

NOBLE "THIN MAN" WATTS & HIS RHYTHM SPARKS

BATON 254

THE SLIDE / SHAKIN'

CLIFF DAVIS & THE TURBO-JETS

FEDERAL 12359

LET IT ROLL (PART 1) / LET IT ROLL (PART 2)

GEE GEE & HIS ORCH.

MODERN SOUND 6904

CHILI LINDA (CIELITO LINDO) / TARA'S THEME

TOMMY WILLS

TERRY 106

MR. MOVIN' IS GROOVIN' / 3RD MAN THEME "ROCK"

YOUNG WILLIAM & THE JAMAICANS

DIMENSION 1005

LIMBO DRUM PART 1 / LIMBO DRUM PART 2

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN

KING 5602

KATANGA / THE MASQUERADE IS OVER

Tittyshakers: A Definition

Aaah! The glorious tittyshaker 45, for too long this king amongst his dusty bedfellows has been cast aside. Overlooked and undervalued.

I will not linger too long on defining the tittyshaker, for that purpose I have republished the original "Mommy, What's A Tittyshaker" article, first published on SoulGeneration in early 2003, further down this page.

It has been several years since I last considered the question "what is a tittyshaker" - looking back on my past efforts it seems that I may have done the 'shaker some disservice by marginalising the perceived sound of the genre. The boogaloo and funk/soul side was covered off reasonably well in so far as an introduction to the genre can offer but far too many of the low down dirty sounds were omitted. Here I aim to rectify that by introducing some of the real classics of the genre, many of these will be found on other collectable scenes as we dig amongst greasy rhythm'n'blues, grinding soul, hot rod and surf instrumentals, nasty rock'n'roll and find some real gems.

Obvious reference points for those wishing to seek out further exposure to the' shaker culture and style would be the early films of Russ Mayer, low budget hot rod and rock'n'roll movies, sexploitation flicks, the Las Vegas grind compilations, certain WFMU radio shows - the sound is out there. Current club nights in the UK where you can expect to hear these sounds include, The Rubber Room in Nottingham, Rendez-Vouz in Wigan, Raison D'Etre and The Boston Arms in London and where ever you can find DJ's like myself - Martin Lawrie, Jazzman Gerald, Daddy Bones, Kev Kahlua, Cosmic Keith, Yvann Serrano (Healer Selecta) and Johnny Alpha.

In the short time between 2003 and now, not a great deal has been achieved to establish the tittyshaker sound in the everyday consciousness of the average music lover, however certain aspects of the 'scene' has really taken off. The Burlesque culture has become established with numerous troupes in almost every major city - both sides of the Atlantic. Hopefully this site and another in production from Jazzman Gerald both dedicated to the tittyshaker musical form will help to change this.

Martin Lawrie October 2007

Social source share

In the words of Les dawson "I hired a hit man to kill the mother-in-law" he said "I'll shoot her just below her left breast"

"I want her killing-not Kneecapping"

just popped into my head whilst reading this threadph34r.gif

I ve recently seen alot on this somewhere on a site from the US I will try and find a link and post up

Rob

Social source share

Faithfully

Kev

Somebody has been looking, more than listening!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

You'll get your legs slapped & sent to bed with no supper if you carry on like that Michael.

KTF

Baz

[.

Social source share

You'll get your legs slapped & sent to bed with no supper if you carry on like that Michael.

KTF

Baz

thought i'd best delete Baz, it would have only caused upset if taken as serious

Social source share

Titty shakers Cd if you want one?

THE ROCK-A-FELLAS / EDDIE BELL & THE ROCK-A-FELLAS

COED 512

NIGHT PARTY / COUNTIN' THE DAYS

SIR WHITE & HIS SOUNDS

REDBUG 0001

DOIN' THE SCRATCH / MOODY DREAMER

THE NU-TRONS.

ELDEE 85

BEAT / SEARCHIN'

THE WOBBLERS

KING 5585

THE WOBBLE / BLOW OUT

DON MARKHAM & THE MARKSMEN.

DONNA 1323

HULLY GULLY TRUMPETS / THE SHUCK

THE TURBO-JETS

FEDERAL 12353

FAR EAST CHA CHA CHA / SO SASSY

THE PRECISIANS.

NOMAD 12552

I'VE GOT TO HAVE (THE PRECISIAN SOUND) / DON'T LISTEN TO HIM

THE ROYALTONES.

JUBILEE 5338

WAIL! / POOR BOY

TEDDY & THE ROUGH RIDERS

TILT 778

TOMAHAWK / THUNDER HEAD

TEDDY & THE CLOCK-WATCHERS

WARNER BROTHERS 5626

KINKY / YOU WERE MADE FOR ME

NOBLE WATTS

CLAMIKE 501

TEEN-SCENE / JOHN FRIDAY'S SON

BILL FOLAND & HIS SURFS.

TISHMAN 903

JUST ANOTHER SIDE / SURFIN' TRUMPETS

THE ORIGINALS

JACKPOT 48007

THE WHIP / BLUE KAT

FELIX SLATKIN

LIBERTY 55232

TURKISH BATH / THE HAPPY HOBO

THE FRATERNITY BROTHERS

VERVE 10127

BULLDOZER / STUDY HALL

THE CARNATIONS.

FRATERNITY 863

CASUAL / RED WING

THE CARNATIONS.

TILT 780

SCORPION / FIREBALL MAIL

SONNY FLAHARTY & THE YOUNG AMERICANS.

P A Q 21

COCONUT STOMP PART 1 / COCONUT STOMP PART 2

TONY & JOE

ERA 1075

THE FREEZE / GONNA GET A LITTLE KISSIN' TONIGHT

NOBLE "THIN MAN" WATTS & HIS RHYTHM SPARKS

BATON 254

THE SLIDE / SHAKIN'

CLIFF DAVIS & THE TURBO-JETS

FEDERAL 12359

LET IT ROLL (PART 1) / LET IT ROLL (PART 2)

GEE GEE & HIS ORCH.

MODERN SOUND 6904

CHILI LINDA (CIELITO LINDO) / TARA'S THEME

TOMMY WILLS

TERRY 106

MR. MOVIN' IS GROOVIN' / 3RD MAN THEME "ROCK"

YOUNG WILLIAM & THE JAMAICANS

DIMENSION 1005

LIMBO DRUM PART 1 / LIMBO DRUM PART 2

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN

KING 5602

KATANGA / THE MASQUERADE IS OVER

Tittyshakers: A Definition

Aaah! The glorious tittyshaker 45, for too long this king amongst his dusty bedfellows has been cast aside. Overlooked and undervalued.

I will not linger too long on defining the tittyshaker, for that purpose I have republished the original "Mommy, What's A Tittyshaker" article, first published on SoulGeneration in early 2003, further down this page.

It has been several years since I last considered the question "what is a tittyshaker" - looking back on my past efforts it seems that I may have done the 'shaker some disservice by marginalising the perceived sound of the genre. The boogaloo and funk/soul side was covered off reasonably well in so far as an introduction to the genre can offer but far too many of the low down dirty sounds were omitted. Here I aim to rectify that by introducing some of the real classics of the genre, many of these will be found on other collectable scenes as we dig amongst greasy rhythm'n'blues, grinding soul, hot rod and surf instrumentals, nasty rock'n'roll and find some real gems.

Obvious reference points for those wishing to seek out further exposure to the' shaker culture and style would be the early films of Russ Mayer, low budget hot rod and rock'n'roll movies, sexploitation flicks, the Las Vegas grind compilations, certain WFMU radio shows - the sound is out there. Current club nights in the UK where you can expect to hear these sounds include, The Rubber Room in Nottingham, Rendez-Vouz in Wigan, Raison D'Etre and The Boston Arms in London and where ever you can find DJ's like myself - Martin Lawrie, Jazzman Gerald, Daddy Bones, Kev Kahlua, Cosmic Keith, Yvann Serrano (Healer Selecta) and Johnny Alpha.

In the short time between 2003 and now, not a great deal has been achieved to establish the tittyshaker sound in the everyday consciousness of the average music lover, however certain aspects of the 'scene' has really taken off. The Burlesque culture has become established with numerous troupes in almost every major city - both sides of the Atlantic. Hopefully this site and another in production from Jazzman Gerald both dedicated to the tittyshaker musical form will help to change this.

Martin Lawrie October 2007

sent you a pmthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Ok CD for you on its way. those of you who have asked for CDs, give em' 2 days for arrival, there will be a tracklisting, also i'm gonna print out label scans for you.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

the track that plays when you open the link is right up my street...sleezy R&B style, love it thumbsup.gif

Incidentally what is it?

EDIT: Found it thumbsup.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

yes.gifThink Austin Powers meets Benny Hill......

I do everytime I see you at a venue Paul .hatsoff2.gif Only joking but you did leave the door wide open for that Paul, I'll get me coat!!!!!!laugh.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"Slow down, you move to fast,you gotta make the moment last",

Spot.shades.gif

Social source share

I keep coming across this term 'Tittyshaker' and as much as it conjures up a lovely picture in my mind rolleyes.gif I honestly have no idea what it refers to.no.gif Could it be stomping RnB with 200rpm tambourine beats? Is it some wierd form of popcorn? Hopefully someone out there can enlighten me.

Faithfully

Kev

In a "male" or "female" context ?huh.gif

Social source share

sounds good to me :yes: it might even get me back to attending events regularly if i knew that was going on :D

Well said that man! :lol:

We need to spice the nights up..............let's have a bit of Burlesque dancing :thumbup:

Advertise that on a event's flyer & you will get a packer of a night! :yes:

Debbie Dee Burlesque Dancer! wicked.gif

P.s We went to a 40s/50s weekender last week & you should of seen this lady........................what a Titty Shaker she was! :yes: .........................Poor Ian did not know where to look! :lol:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

P.s We went to a 40s/50s weekender last week & you should of seen this lady........................what a Titty Shaker she was! :no: .........................Poor Ian did not know where to look! laugh.gif

I think you'll find he probably did :D

I can almost hear my playlist for a night like that ......I'm feeling it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!