• Replies 16
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Majestics: 1st original pressing.

David & Ruben: 2nd and 3rd pressing late 60s reissues.

youre right in the order of pressing but the majestics wasnt issued til 1968 david & ruben 1969 its not early or mid 60`s or owt like that

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

youre right in the order of pressing but the majestics wasnt issued til 1968 david & ruben 1969 its not early or mid 60`s or owt like that

dave

According to Soulful Kinda Music it's 1965:

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/majestics.htm

Linda 121 - Girl Of My Dreams / (I Love Her So Much) It Hurts Me - 1965

I had never heard this Majestics 45 was issued in 1968.

Social source share

is that a large definately sebastain......................were you at the session or something. not convinced about it being the same group as the chex /vip outfit altho it does sound as though it could be 65 rather than 68:chinstroke: . was the rampart copy issued in 68 or is that earlier

dave

Social source share

is that a large definately sebastain......................were you at the session or something.

No I wasn't, but the Linda label seized to release records in late 1966 or early 1967.

It is documented that the last ever 45 on the Linda label (LINDA 125), "Like You Do" b/w "Where Is Mary" by The Backseat was issued in late 1966 or early 1967.

"I Love Her So Much (It Hurts Me)" by The Majestics was issued as LINDA 121 so logically should've been released prior to 125.

not convinced about it being the same group as the chex /vip outfit altho

Indeed, they are not the same group. The Majestics on V.I.P. is actually The Monitors. Only the early copies of that 45 were credited to The Majestics, they quickly changed their name to The Monitors (apparently as a direct result from them finding out about the group with the same name on Linda).

Which kind of ties in nicely with the Linda 45 being from 1965 because the "Say You" 45 by Monitors/Majestics on V.I.P. was issued on the 12th of November 1965 which must've been at the same time as "(I Love Her So Much) It Hurts Me" was causing a stir.

As for the discography on the SoulfulKindaMusic site:

The 45s on Contour, Chex and V.I.P. are by permutations of the same group (and evolved into The Monitors).

The 45s on Jordan, Nu-Tone and Pixie are by a completely unrelated group.

it does sound as though it could be 65 rather than 68:chinstroke: .

That's the main giveaway in my opinion and the reason why they edited out the trumpet intro on the Warner Bros release is probably because it must've sounded horribly dated in 1969.

was the rampart copy issued in 68 or is that earlier

The Rampart 45 was issued in 1968 or more likely in 1969.

The David And Ruben 45 is RAMPART 662.

The Village Callers 45 on Rampart called "Hector" is an earlier number, RAMPART 659, and states "in album 'Village Callers Live'" on the label.

The "Village Callers Live" album is reviewed in the 30th November 1968 issue of Billboard Magazine.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

When I did the 'Early Years of Barry White' story I was in touch with two members of the 'Linda' Majestics, so was another SS member (Can't remember who now), They were a Latino group if I remember correctly. They dropped off my radar once they realised I didn't have the pot of gold they thought was at the end of my particular rainbow. Would be great to hear them do "ILHSMIH at Prestatyn though eh?

Social source share

According to Ruben Molina, writer of the "Old Barrio guide to Low Rider music" Eddie Davis had two Majestics groups. One Afro-American "Strange world" Linda 111 and a Mexican-American group "ILHSMIHM" / "The girl of my dreams" (Linda 121 1965 and Rampart 1969) which consisted of the Robles brothers (David, Ruben & Arthur).

Social source share

I just noticed that the David & Ruben 45 on Rampart mentions "Taken from album #R-3305 'Eastside Revue Vol. 2'".

The full title of that double-LP is "Golden Treasures Volume Two: West Coast East Side Revue" and was issued on Rampart in 1969.

It includes past hits by the LINDA / FARO / GORDO / RAMPART / WHITTIER group of labels.

post-1392-12706624246489_thumb.jpg

Social source share

According to Ruben Molina, writer of the "Old Barrio guide to Low Rider music" Eddie Davis had two Majestics groups. One Afro-American "Strange world" Linda 111 and a Mexican-American group "ILHSMIHM" / "The girl of my dreams" (Linda 121 1965 and Rampart 1969) which consisted of the Robles brothers (David, Ruben & Arthur).

The booklet to one of the "Complete Motown Singles" box sets claims that too and I think it makes sense. The vocals on the two Majestics 45s on LINDA doesn't sound similar to eachother.

I really like "Strange World". :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert