Underplayed sounds

I dont travel very far, just to local dos around the East Mids and for some time now have been getting a bit fed up of hearing the same stuff played every time I go out. I sit at home playing stuff on the computer or tapes thinking to myself I wish some one would play this next time I'm out but unfortunately it never happens.

It seems to me that there are quite a number of knowledgeable and widely travelled contributers to this forum so I'd like to ask you about the following tracks:

A) Do they ever get played anywhere?

cool.gif What do you think of them? ( am I on my own here taste wise? )

C) Is there any hope that I might hear these out one day? ( any east mids DJs/ promoters out there? )

Anyway on to the tracks:

Ronnie Savoy - Loving You

Ad Libs - Johnny My Boy

Mer-Lyn - Promise

Sinceres - Girl I love you

Persians - I Cant Take It Anymore

Don Ray Sampson - Baby Come Back

Radiants - Dont Want To Face The Truth

Drake & Ensolids - Please Leave Me

Bootleggers - Dont Count On Tomorrow

Googie Renee - There I Was

Manhattens - I Bet You Couldnt Love Me

Chosen Few - Birth Of a Playboy

California Rock Choir - Whoever You Are

Jimmy & Vela Cameron - Lovin You Is Such A Groove

I could go on and on, so over to you lot

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Steve

nice selection.........both Adlibs and Chosen Few get played over here in Dublin although admittedly not regularly

John

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Steve> i don't live in the UK so i can't really relate to sounds being over-played but noone in their right mind can overlook these, fab sounds!!! (hadn't heard the others ;-)

Mer-Lyn - Promise

Sinceres - Girl I love you

Radiants - Dont Want To Face The Truth

Drake & Ensolids - Please Leave Me

Manhattens - I Bet You Couldnt Love Me

Chosen Few - Birth Of a Playboy

California Rock Choir - Whoever You Are

Jimmy & Vela Cameron - Lovin You Is Such A Groove

best

Leo

Social source share

Cheers lads no one else seems to want to talk to me :-(

Leo If you havent heard Don Ray Sampson & The Persians they're both on the soul club site, check them out - top quality soul by anyones standards.

Social source share

Cheers lads no one else seems to want to talk to me :-(

Don't think its that Steve,

bit of a open ended question

could say get your arse to monkey next week and all will be solved

but apart from kicking arse out of "over promotion " it might be not your cup of tea

and sure other promoters feel same about replying

Think best bet is to look at flyers, read reviews, have a look at playlists.

And give a few venues that seem to do things the right way a go

Off top of head and as East Midlands is all a bit foreign to me, would say the Union club at Nottingham is the best (closest ?) bet, top UK reputation for quality northern as it should be rare and exciting:) With djs doing the business dishing out sounds that you can't hear just anywhere. Don't think the Rare Soul Fox at Closterworth is still going on but suppose someone more local can give a better idea of other decent alternatives round your way.

Anyone??

(back to last question, posting signed in always helps as gives a sort of validility to post and helps connect with later posts, such as your later one as "guest", ok can work out is you but may not be so easy in other posts)

let us know how you get on!

Social source share

Cheers Mike I went to the Union club a couple of times last year it was top notch but the problem really lies in the fact that I only generally go to do's within a few miles of home due to transport problems ( no one is prepared to drive cos we all like to have some beer! ) I realise you have to travel to hear the top DJs and sounds but I just wanted to find out if the type of tracks I listed do get played anywhere and what other peoples opinions were.

Social source share

ahhh I see ....just clocked your other posts and read the original more carefully!!,

started off answering your "no reply" bit and then went off at a tangent a bit, sorry bout that, as said just read the first one again

Now even harder to answer but as jumped in will give it a go !

A) Do they ever get played anywhere?

would say sort of yes, hard one to give a definite answer due to amount of venues, which ones attend, and all that

like the adlibs, revived a bit back then hammerred to death, dont get plays anymore be my own view on it, but sure others cause of those factors would have many different views,

cool.gif What do you think of them? ( am I on my own here taste wise? )

varied mix like, reckon sound good out,

C) Is there any hope that I might hear these out one day? ( any east mids DJs/ promoters out there? )

leave it to those

if no joy and still got thirst try adopting a teetotal soulie with a driving licence

Social source share

Go to the MOON HOTEL Spondon Derby sat 22nd May . i play at least three of your playlist .nice to see that others out there in the east mids want to hear something different.see events guide

Social source share

Anyway on to the tracks:

Ad Libs  -  Johnny My Boy

Sinceres  - Girl I love you

Bootleggers  - Dont Count On Tomorrow

Chosen Few  - Birth Of a Playboy

California Rock Choir  -  Whoever You Are

I could go on and on, so over to you lot

Ad libs does get the occasional spin. Mick H spins the Sinceres. Bootleggers great record but not really dance floor material ;-) Chosen Few picking up plays and seens to be popular amonst buyers too. Calafornia Rock Choir been spun by the like s of Marco.

Janine

Social source share

Thanks for the replies - my computers been on the blink for a week so I havent been able to respond.

Janine I know what you mean about the Bootleggers but I think it would make a great last record.

Cheers

Social source share

about 80% of these and similar stuff get played at the greatstone hotel in stretford manchester.

and there will be other clubs playing similar stuff, in the birmingham/stafford area there are some good crossover venues also the marrs bar playlist would seem to be up your street it looks like you may have to take it in turns to drive to hear the good stuff. check dave rimmers site and email him he may know some clubs fairly local to you.

mark

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Ad Libs  -  Johnny My Boy

Drake & Ensolids  -  Please Leave Me

Chosen Few  - Birth Of a Playboy

California Rock Choir  -  Whoever You Are

All of these are plays down South. Amazing how far behind we are down here. Martin Adams was distributing a tape with the Chosen Few some 10 years ago and its had plays ever since down here. Admittedly it's made an increased revival on the decks ever since the bigger venues up North have played it out.

California Rock Choir has yet to htug on the heart strings of the main stream Northern contingent down here but Russ Vickers has been playing it to delighted Modern crowds for some time. I now have taken it upon myself to assist him in popularising this sound down South.

First heard Johnny my boy played out by Roger Banks as recently as about 7 years ago. Think it was an oldie played out in the 70's (correct me if I'm wrong). Popular sound at the Brighton dayers and one of my faves although Mrs C despises it.

Drake & Ensolids is a quality oldie IMVHO. Purchased by yours truly last year for the sum of £12. Cheers Brummy Mick!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!