2010-04-17: 100 Club All Nighter

Event Title: 100 Club all nighter

Event Author: ady croasdell

Calendar: Allnighter/Weekenders

Event Date: Sat 17 April 2010

-------------------------------------------------

Butch, Mick Smith, Joel Maslin, Ady Croasdell and Special Guest Warren who does the Boogie in the loo!.

Visit this Event in Soul Source Events Guide for venue maps, street views,road and rail directions and more

Edited by ady croasdell
  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Imogen

Now edited for your delectation.

Well isn't he a lucky devil!! Excellent news really enjoyed hearing Warren Dj at the 100 club a while back. thumbsup.gif

Guest Mrs Simsy

Oh boooo. I'll actually be in Rugby 2 weekends running as my friend is very inconveniently getting married next weekend!:thumbsup: Seems like a age since i've darkened the door at the 100. Maybe May?biggrin.gif

Have a great one chaps & chicks!:no: I'll think of y'all when i'm grooving round the floor to an awful wedding DJ!:boxing:

Well isn't he a lucky devil!! Excellent news really enjoyed hearing Warren Dj at the 100 club a while back. thumbsup.gif

Thanks darling. Probably the same tunes but I've got a leeeervly new top to wear. Make sure you bring your camera :(

Edited by boogaloo

It's been an absolute age since I was last at me most fave 'niter of all time, but happy to say will be making the short trek down the A1 for this episode. Will be stopping at St Neots en-route to pick up Melv then another pit stop in Letchworth to get Toby on board then orft we go for the remainder of the journey..

Even tho' I'm teetotal the instructions I've been given as driver is to get them to the Blue Post at least an hour prior to the doors opening on Oxford Street's famous music venue.

See's ya there then - I'll be the sober one.. thumbsup.gif

Fingers

It's been an absolute age since I was last at me most fave 'niter of all time, but happy to say will be making the short trek down the A1 for this episode. Will be stopping at St Neots en-route to pick up Melv then another pit stop in Letchworth to get Toby on board then orft we go for the remainder of the journey..

Even tho' I'm teetotal the instructions I've been given as driver is to get them to the Blue Post at least an hour prior to the doors opening on Oxford Street's famous music venue.

Fingers

Hey Johnny

Will be good to see you Sat. Blue Posts-yes!

Best

Kev & Imogen

Edited by Kev Moore

if Warren's wearing his vest i might wear my piped tennis shorts

what waist size and colour are they Joel?

I need to get a new cheerleading ensemble together and these may just be the ticket thumbsup.gif

Fingers

Think you've got that wrong John, it's at least two hours before the doors open :thumbsup:

It'll be good to see Dave back in his corner.

Messrs Rounce & Palao have just returned from the Southern States with an industrial strength stomper that will grace a soul club for the first time since it was cut in 1967! It's a pretty tremendous record actually. I'll stick it on early doors for the truly devoted early arrivals too. And if anyone likes sublime early 70s dancers a la Tyrone Davis we have an utter beauty from none other than Spencer Wiggins!

Think you've got that wrong John, it's at least two hours before the doors open :laugh:

I agree with that comment Dave,

Its been far to long since my last visit the 100 club.

It will be good to catch up with everyone again,and to sup a few with Dave.......mines a cold lager in a tall glass mate:hatsoff2:

See ya Saturday night

Toby

So this is the second lookback post that i have typed and really i have had enough. It was ok well past the Hoover building and out on the A40 where there's no hardshoulder for 100 yards. So much for Steve's O2 dongle type on the move, put it in a special room in the 100 Club to get it ready. Computers; internet and moving cars just do not mix. don't do it kids.

So now again on this sunny spring morn, sat outside the services on the M3. I think it's the M3, I wasn't looking i was paying far too much attention to this computer, I await a my cafe latte with a sprinkling of chocolate, thinking that it seems like hours ago we dropped Dave Rimmer off at Euston not long after leaving the after party 100 clubbers in McDonalds I particularly enjoyed a good bollox talking session with Kev Moore, who had a particularly big record...

So your intrepid reports Dave Dangerfield and Fyfe Csordas had a great evening down in the 100 Club; a great evening, good laughs, great people and some fantastic music...

Ady did not fail to deliver...the first record he played, which was described as the 'Stomper' to distinguish it from what was to come later, which was not a stomper, but certainly didn't hang around the street corner picking its nose, was Billy & Clyde "World of My Own" a very nice tune that would grace any ones soul set...

People should label things, and Ady certainly did, calling the later offering the 'Crossover' one. Spencer Wiggins "Break Point". Crossover, Northern, Grunge, call it what you will; it was fantastic and certainly lived up to the hype. on the second play, shortly before kicking out time most of the 100 Clubbers were having a jig to it wherever they were downstairs.

BUT, that's not all - record of the nite for me was a recent addition to Butch's playbox. An acetate by some guy who Butch did tell me the name of, but that was many hours ago now. the tune "Don't Bring Back Memories" and the vocal was that good i thought it was the Four tops on a different take.

We had a great time - thanks Ady and everyone else that makes the 100 club so special....

Edited by Dave Abbott

Yes, just to add to Mr Abbotts's comments, the Spencer Wiggins Fame track is indeed superb, caught my ear on it's first outing, second time round felt like it was an old friend, I missed the Billy & Clyde, I blame Toby, Kev Moore or the girl trying to smuggle a labrador pup in. Also worth mentioning Butch played something nice on Paradox and a nice groover c/u as the Four Tracks (I think!!), Mick went all british white demo crazy including Walter Jackson's "Uphill Climb", Warren squeezed some gospel in for the converted and young Joel dropped a couple of old favorites of mine and I'm not talking about his leisure wear!

Edited by Tony Smith

Sounds like vintage 100 Club ............pissing up, great new tunes & smuggled lab puppies, pretty much a standard night then laugh.gif.......my fave Allnighter & missed it again, my leave rotation just hasnt fallen right...........was thinking about y'all & I'm sure I'll be back doon the stairs soon......................

laterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Russ

After applying some thought to it, I realised I hadn't made a visit to the famous 100 Club 'niter in over 12 months !! :ohmy: So, well overdue a visit to my fave (and all-time numero uno) Soul Music venue.. And so pleased I chose last night to make some recompensing for my prolonged (but far from deliberate..) absence from the 6T's Rhythm & Soul Society 'niters. thumbsup.gif

Numbers were less than I'm historically used to and the first time EVER I could see from the rear of the club, where the record sales boxes are located, through to the bar at the opposite end - usually always obstructed by ebbing & flowing of Soul Music loving attendees. A bit of a surprise, initially, but it soon grew into a strong enjoyment of the fact there was a bit of extra space available tonight, and an absence of that 'body heat' element that usually sees me dripping buckets of sweat even though I don't expend huge dollops of energy throwing myself around the dance floor - and only usually just either stand chatting or find myself the occasional chair to sit & enjoy the music & atmosphere.. But STILL manage to produce around ten gallons of perspiration beads !!

One of the first through the doors, I entered downstairs and strolled across the floor just before the turntable's were to deliver the first offering of tonight - and quickly espied Ady who, upon seeing me, voiced an "Aha.." in my direction. With me thinking he was coming over to extend his most cordial & warmest of greetings - having not seen me at the 100 Club for so long - and was expecting his next words to be something along the lines of "Good to see you again, Fingers.." or maybe a "How are you.." ?? Erm, Not quite.. Ady's EXACT phrase was "Have you paid " !?! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The music I heard played last night in Oxford Street's most famous of Basement Clubs far surpassed it's usual high standards.. With all the Music Managers for tonight offering delights to sate my personal tastes (and those of the majority in attendance too..) - even Mick Smith played some good tunes !! :laugh:

I didn't recognise Guest Vinyl Spinner Joel by name - although I certainly recognised his face as one I'd seen before - At one point, and after completely forgetting the details he'd just provided me even before I'd completed the twenty steps back to where I was sitting, I had to return to the stage to ask him to write down the answer to my query about a particular vinyl option he featured in his (excellent) second spot. Defo a 45 I'll be keeping me little peepers on the look out for in the future.

Having Warren announced as the Special, 'Special Guest Spinner' only added to my undoubted knowledge that this was gonna be a very enjoyable evening.. I always enjoy Mr Boogaloo's performances behind the Turntables & his well thought out vinyl selections.. Especially enjoying the occasions when we are on the same DJ line-up for a promotion.

'Man Of The Match' award resulted in shared honours on my scorecard - between Butch & that Ady geezer.. We witnessed the usual bar-raising stuff that we all expect from the man that is Butch. With Ady (ably assisted by his promised new offerings for the night) obliterating the bar completely as a result of his awesome selections of rarities, acetates, alternate/unissued takes & the likes. Jeanette Williams unissued Backbeat track grabbing my attention early on in the evening - as did the class oozing Spencer Wiggins tune which he generously allowed us TWO airings of over the 8 hours. If the SW 45 were the ONLY 45 played all night, I STILL would've gone home a very happy chappy. It's THAT good, and defo the record of the entire night in several of the attendees books - my own included !! It had me moving & grooving on the dance floor - I know that !! :yes::yes:

Enjoying the company of Melvin & Toby as passengers for the journey (quite regularly, these days..) only served to add more enjoyment still to our Soul jaunt, and assisted nicely in capping off my Soulin' experience for this weekend. Along too, with the many other familiar & friendly faces encountered throughout the night. Won't mention all by name but, in particular, Dave Rimmer.. Along with John Mc & the delectably petite Jenny from Kettering (how was the journey home Jen ?? Did John appreciate the 'homeopathic' atmosphere ?? whistling), having also enjoyed their attendance & company the night before, at the Move On Soul Club experience, in Coventry.

Kev & Imogen Moore I hadn't seen since my guest DJ stint in Greenwich for Warren at the end of '09, and was nice to again catch up with them. Pete Gent - living up to his name - never fails to put a smile on my face whenever I'm in his company.. Not forgetting, also, the many other people I engaged in conversation with over the duration.

Extremely pleased with the three new additions to the vinyl collection I managed to obtain (even though Toby sold, for a SECOND time, the 45 I'd bought off him in the 'Posts' prior to door-opening time - he was only supposed to be keeping it SAFE in his box for me !!). :blink::boxing:

It certainly won't be as long again before I make another trip southward for my next Soul Fix.. A fix the likes that only the 100 Club can provide me - via the resultant 'High' from my greedy indulgence in it's heavily addictive concoction of Soul Music. With last night's adventure quickly reminding me as to just why - it IS - my 'Number One' drug of choice !! shades

Fingers

Edited by FickleFingers

So this is the second lookback post that i have typed and really i have had enough. It was ok well past the Hoover building and out on the A40 where there's no hardshoulder for 100 yards. So much for Steve's O2 dongle type on the move, put it in a special room in the 100 Club to get it ready. Computers; internet and moving cars just do not mix. don't do it kids.

So now again on this sunny spring morn, sat outside the services on the M3. I think it's the M3, I wasn't looking i was paying far too much attention to this computer, I await a my cafe latte with a sprinkling of chocolate, thinking that it seems like hours ago we dropped Dave Rimmer off at Euston not long after leaving the after party 100 clubbers in McDonalds I particularly enjoyed a good bollox talking session with Kev Moore, who had a particularly big record...

So your intrepid reports Dave Dangerfield and Fyfe Csordas had a great evening down in the 100 Club; a great evening, good laughs, great people and some fantastic music...

Ady did not fail to deliver...the first record he played, which was described as the 'Stomper' to distinguish it from what was to come later, which was not a stomper, but certainly didn't hang around the street corner picking its nose, was Billy & Clyde "World of My Own" a very nice tune that would grace any ones soul set...

People should label things, and Ady certainly did, calling the later offering the 'Crossover' one. Spencer Wiggins "Break Point". Crossover, Northern, Grunge, call it what you will; it was fantastic and certainly lived up to the hype. on the second play, shortly before kicking out time most of the 100 Clubbers were having a jig to it wherever they were downstairs.

BUT, that's not all - record of the nite for me was a recent addition to Butch's playbox. An acetate by some guy who Butch did tell me the name of, but that was many hours ago now. the tune "Don't Bring Back Memories" and the vocal was that good i thought it was the Four tops on a different take.

We had a great time - thanks Ady and everyone else that makes the 100 club so special....

Dave , think that " Don't bring back memories is the unissued Shrine acetate version , Tommy someone ? Hope this helps a bit ,I'll double check later ..Best,Eddie

Edited by Eddie Hubbard

Well done Ady,

This was my long overdue visit to the 100 club,reasons nothing to do with the 100 or policies etc,but a very very hectic lifestyle of late with lack of time etc,but the 100 club to me is like an old pair of cumfy slippers i feel at ease here,i even got butterflys in my belly this time after 6 months away a great feeling it was to.

The music was second to none all the DJs played great stuff,

The company of great friends(yes i did say friends)was a joy,catching up,good old gossip and laughs a minute,just how it should be,

A thanks must go to Fingers and Melvin for a brilliant time as usual thanks guys,and sorry to Fingers for selling the same tune twice(funny as f***).

Good to see Dave Rimmer in his corner (by the bog),Mick , Pete & Denise,Kev & Imogen,Jet & Tony(not me smuggling puppies)Teff& Sharon among loads of other good people.

Ady i promise i wont leave it so long next time.........keep it going mate please

A very pleased and happy person (member # 25) attending the 100 club,its still got it all.

Toby