Birdcage Portsmouth

Gilly

• Replies 20
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Can anyone help me regarding the venue called the Birdcage.There was a live Jimmy James LP recorded one time?Thank-you

I don't know if an album was recorded there, but it certainly gets a mention on the sleeve notes to "The New Religion" album on Piccadilly.

There is a woman on the Portsmouth Mad football forum called "Izzyeckerslike" who lives in the States(link below) whose father was owner or manager at the time. She did annoy me with a mention of her sister going there to see "Inez & Charlie Foxx, who were a poor mans Ike & Tina Turner"angry.gif

There is a thread that mentions it here.

Pompey Venues link

I don't know if you can contact her through the site. For some reason it will not let me sign on. but I haven't used the account for a couple of years.

I will ask around if the is anyopne round here to email.

Paul

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Hi

I have the album it is called London Swings "Live At The Marquee Club" it was released on Pye in 1966. I think the confusion might lie in the fact that on the cover their is a picture of Jimmy James & The Vagabonds on stage at what is clearly the Birdcage in Portsmouth. But their is no mention in the sleeve notes of where the album was recorded, and as it features the Alan Bown Set on side 2, and the photograph of the Alan Bown Set on the cover is clearly at the Marquee, as well as one of Jimmy James on the same stage and the old Marquee Tent is clearly seen in the background, it is a mystery. For those interested the track listing is as follows,

Side 1 Jimmy James & Vagabonds "Ain't T Proud To Beg" "I Can't Turn You Loose" "Amen" "If I Had A Hammer" "You Don't Know Like I Know" "Back Driving Beat" "Don't Know What I'm Gonna Do" "Sock It To Em J.B"

Side 2 Alan Bown Set "It's Growing" "Emergency 999" "I Need You" "Sunny" "Headline News" "Down In The Valley" "Boomerang"

This Album must have been released in the wake of the success of the Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band album released on Piccadilly also in 1966 and a big seller at the time. I saw all three bands in the 60's and they were all great, I was told that the Ram Jam Band got their name from the Ram Jam Cafe on the A1, a favourite stopping off point for bands pre-motorway anybody know if this is true? There were many great live acts doing the rounds in the mid 60's and my favourites were Herbie Goins & The Night Timers, whatever happened to them?

Anyway back to the subject of the Birdcage Club in Pompey, I went their once in the 60's when visiting a mate down that way and the only thing I remember was that they had a load of mannaquins sprayed in gold paint in huge bird cages around the place and after a few to many drinks we tried to smuggle one out under a coat, not a good idea as the doormen were watching, still they took it well and told us to put it back, great memories.

Social source share

Hi

I have the album it is called London Swings "Live At The Marquee Club" it was released on Pye in 1966. I think the confusion might lie in the fact that on the cover their is a picture of Jimmy James & The Vagabonds on stage at what is clearly the Birdcage in Portsmouth. But their is no mention in the sleeve notes of where the album was recorded, and as it features the Alan Bown Set on side 2, and the photograph of the Alan Bown Set on the cover is clearly at the Marquee, as well as one of Jimmy James on the same stage and the old Marquee Tent is clearly seen in the background, it is a mystery. For those interested the track listing is as follows,

Side 1 Jimmy James & Vagabonds "Ain't T Proud To Beg" "I Can't Turn You Loose" "Amen" "If I Had A Hammer" "You Don't Know Like I Know" "Back Driving Beat" "Don't Know What I'm Gonna Do" "Sock It To Em J.B"

Side 2 Alan Bown Set "It's Growing" "Emergency 999" "I Need You" "Sunny" "Headline News" "Down In The Valley" "Boomerang"

This Album must have been released in the wake of the success of the Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band album released on Piccadilly also in 1966 and a big seller at the time. I saw all three bands in the 60's and they were all great, I was told that the Ram Jam Band got their name from the Ram Jam Cafe on the A1, a favourite stopping off point for bands pre-motorway anybody know if this is true? There were many great live acts doing the rounds in the mid 60's and my favourites were Herbie Goins & The Night Timers, whatever happened to them?

Anyway back to the subject of the Birdcage Club in Pompey, I went their once in the 60's when visiting a mate down that way and the only thing I remember was that they had a load of mannaquins sprayed in gold paint in huge bird cages around the place and after a few to many drinks we tried to smuggle one out under a coat, not a good idea as the doormen were watching, still they took it well and told us to put it back, great memories.

Please check your e mail

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest garv

Hi, dont know if its of any interest to you.

There is a short story about the birdcage in the mod book " the sharper word " , it was written by a mod as part of his degree & discribes a day / night in Portsmouth doing mod things & the main event is the Action were the live act, good read but no pictures.

Edited by garv
Social source share

There is a short story about the birdcage in the mod book " the sharper word " , it was written by a mod as part of his degree & discribes a day / night in Portsmouth doing mod things & the main event is the Action were the live act, good read but no pictures.

Well thank-you very much,nice one.

Social source share

Are i see the book is written by an old friend Paolo Hewitt,some years ago i helped in the writing of a book along with Paul Weller called Soul Stylists.

Social source share

The 'Birdcage' in Portsmouth was in an area called Eastney, it was knocked down many years ago to make way for flats.

The club was like many in towns & cities all over Britain at the time, groups & artists that appeared at the 'Wheel' & other hip clubs, also appeared at the 'Birdcage'.

With regard to the New Religeon LP by Jimmy James, local legend has it that the Pompey Mods were some of the bands best fans, as the Vagabonds tour van was coming down Portsdown Hill into Portsmouth to do a late night gig at the Birdgage (coming from an earlier gig at the Marguee with the Who,where apparently they 'borrowed' some of the Who's equipment !) which was the old road into Portsmouth before the motorways, the local Mods had taken upon themselves to flyer/advertise the gig themselves & there were hand made posters every where on lamp posts etc advertising Jimmy James & the Vagabonds 'The New Religeon'.

As a slight aside many years ago when I first moved from the Midlands to the Portsmouth area I was intrigued as to why this area had always been a relative 'Hotspot' for Northern & Rare Soul, whilst in the local library researching the 'Birdcage' on the microfish & asking the Library workers questions, a man approached me & spoke to me for several minuites about the 'Birdcage', one of the stories he told me was about the night the club got busted by the local DS, the security at the club was done by moonlighting Royal Marines from the local barracks & when the DS tried to gain entry to the club in plain clothes the Royal Marines 'Kicked off' big time, as the fracas on the door ensued, the local ,'faces' ensured the gear dissappeared down the fire escape at the back.

Years ago I wrote a small article for Soul Up North Fanzine entitled 'Soul Down South' that included some of this information, if anyone has this issue handy, if they could post it up I would be grateful.

Gilly, I have friends in Pompey who would know more about the Birdcage, if you would like me to hook you up let me know.

BTW about 10 years ago there was a massive 'Birdcage' reunion on Southsea Pier, I was amazed at the amount of people who attended & the wonderful pictues that decorated the foyer from the Birdcage & that era. Very few people from these clubs ever went on to attend NS clubs & to this day, many turn thier noses up at NS for some reason.

There was also another very influential club in the Fratton area of Portsmouth called the Marriner (later the Sound Barrier) which held soul & Northern Soul Nights from the late 6ts into the 7ts, years later we held illegal Allnighters there in the 8ts/9ts, the building still stands with the club intact, but has no licence & the ownwer have no intention to reopen.

Hope this helps buddy

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

The 'Birdcage' in Portsmouth was in an area called Eastney, it was knocked down many years ago to make way for flats.

The club was like many in towns & cities all over Britain at the time, groups & artists that appeared at the 'Wheel' & other hip clubs, also appeared at the 'Birdcage'.

With regard to the New Religeon LP by Jimmy James, local legend has it that the Pompey Mods were some of the bands best fans, as the Vagabonds tour van was coming down Portsdown Hill into Portsmouth to do a late night gig at the Birdgage (coming from an earlier gig at the Marguee with the Who,where apparently they 'borrowed' some of the Who's equipment !) which was the old road into Portsmouth before the motorways, the local Mods had taken upon themselves to flyer/advertise the gig themselves & there were hand made posters every where on lamp posts etc advertising Jimmy James & the Vagabonds 'The New Religeon'.

As a slight aside many years ago when I first moved from the Midlands to the Portsmouth area I was intrigued as to why this area had always been a relative 'Hotspot' for Northern & Rare Soul, whilst in the local library researching the 'Birdcage' on the microfish & asking the Library workers questions, a man approached me & spoke to me for several minuites about the 'Birdcage', one of the stories he told me was about the night the club got busted by the local DS, the security at the club was done by moonlighting Royal Marines from the local barracks & when the DS tried to gain entry to the club in plain clothes the Royal Marines 'Kicked off' big time, as the fracas on the door ensued, the local ,'faces' ensured the gear dissappeared down the fire escape at the back.

Years ago I wrote a small article for Soul Up North Fanzine entitled 'Soul Down South' that included some of this information, if anyone has this issue handy, if they could post it up I would be grateful.

Gilly, I have friends in Pompey who would know more about the Birdcage, if you would like me to hook you up let me know.

BTW about 10 years ago there was a massive 'Birdcage' reunion on Southsea Pier, I was amazed at the amount of people who attended & the wonderful pictues that decorated the foyer from the Birdcage & that era. Very few people from these clubs ever went on to attend NS clubs & to this day, many turn thier noses up at NS for some reason.

There was also another very influential club in the Fratton area of Portsmouth called the Marriner (later the Sound Barrier) which held soul & Northern Soul Nights from the late 6ts into the 7ts, years later we held illegal Allnighters there in the 8ts/9ts, the building still stands with the club intact, but has no licence & the ownwer have no intention to reopen.

Hope this helps buddy

Best Russ

Russ,thankyou so much for your reply,will e.mail soon.regards Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Russ,thankyou so much for your reply,will e.mail soon.regards Gilly and Nicola

No worries mate, forgot to mention, when I asked the fella how he knew everything about the raid at the Birdcage, he said 'Well I was the Officer in charge of the raid' :thumbsup::yes: :yes: ..............

Speak soon mate, love to Nicola

Best Russ

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest pompeypop

Hello

I've just been alerted to this correspondence by someone accessing my Blog (https://pompeypop.wordpress.com/) which is about popular music in Portsmouth in the 1950s and 1960s. It's part of an on-going project which has included a Museum exhibition (with Birdcage posters etc), a Flickr photo account, a booklet and lecture and soon a fully-fledged website. I went to the Birdcage regularly, kept a diary one year and would be happy to share any info.

Ref Northern Soul - as I understand it that came later. I played in a soul band at the Twisted Wheel in mid/late 1968 by which time there were few soul venues in Pompey although as you suggest there was the Marina (previously nightclub/jazz called Ricky's Club). Gary Buck was the DJ there but Rikki Farr who had effectively run the Birdcage (from Feb '65) was now promoting psychedelic, British blues, and early prog stuff (eg Traffic, Cream, Floyd, Led Zep, Ten Yrs After, Family etc). The key was probably that in '66/'67 many Birdcage Mods started smoking dope and taking acid while listening to imported American psychedelia - they grew their hair, still dressed well but now rather beautifully. Those that didn't stayed loyal to soul and went to the Marina.

The Birdcage DJ Pete Brady played the now familiar Stax, Motown, London, Sue etc, lots of Impressions and James Brown but in later years when I've bought Northern Soul compilations I've noticed how little crossover there is ("Open the Door to Your Heart"). I think the early soul is often melodically closer to late 50s R&B (say "Lipstick Traces") and more often uses the back beat - lots of NS seems to me me more on all four beats but I haven't spent lots of time thinking about it so happy to be corrected

Social source share

Guest pompeypop

I didn't spot the original question when sending my long reply

Jimmy james & Vs did not record an album tat the Birdcage. On the front of New Religion is a pic of a Pompey Mod girl called Cilla dancing on stage with them (probably "Amen"). She's my wife's best mate and still around. The Birdcage is mentioned on the back sleeve

There's also a 'live' album recorded at the Marquee with JJ &Vs plus Alan Bown which has the Birdcage logo on the front because a coach load of Birdcage mods went to the gig - invited because of their fondness for both bands. But it was done in London

Southern TV shot a 30 mins documentary at the Birdcage in early '66 (Alan Price Set) but it seems to have disappeared

Social source share

I didn't spot the original question when sending my long reply

Jimmy james & Vs did not record an album tat the Birdcage. On the front of New Religion is a pic of a Pompey Mod girl called Cilla dancing on stage with them (probably "Amen"). She's my wife's best mate and still around. The Birdcage is mentioned on the back sleeve

There's also a 'live' album recorded at the Marquee with JJ &Vs plus Alan Bown which has the Birdcage logo on the front because a coach load of Birdcage mods went to the gig - invited because of their fondness for both bands. But it was done in London

Southern TV shot a 30 mins documentary at the Birdcage in early '66 (Alan Price Set) but it seems to have disappeared

Wow! After 44 years of seeing that girl on the cover, we have a name...the wonders of the interwebbythingy...:thumbsup: ! Excellent post BTW, the equivalent club in Cheltenham, the Blue Moon, was my haunt as a far-too-young kid, similar experiences no doubt, seeing Count Prince Miller working the crowd...

Social source share

• 9 years later...
On 12/04/2010 at 13:17, Gilly said:

Can anyone help me regarding the venue called the Birdcage.There was a live Jimmy James LP recorded one time?Thank-you

Gilly, the Birdcage was a regular venue. Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, Major Lance, Edwin Starr, I think. I remember Tommey Farr encouraging everyone to pull down the suspended ceiling he must have been a little excited or high the latter more likely. I remember seeing Wilson Picket. Great times. George.

Edited by George Harrison
Old age.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!