Heads Up On One Of The Best Ever Crossover Records I've Ever Heard

Big words I know BUT I've just today received a copy of a song due out in June from Ace/Kent that has completely blown me away!

I mean seriously this is one of THE best Crossover dancers I've EVER heard! Played it a dozen times straight and I still want more!

Found in the FAME vaults and unreleased from 1969 it has everything!

Brilliant brilliant brilliant vocals, great song, cookin' backing, horns to die for, driving piano, chattering tambourine! Magnificent!

A crossover dancers paradise! It has everything!

In my humble opinion, this record will have a bigger effect on the 70's/crossover scene than say Dottie Pearson (Bring it over baby) when that surfaced or the San Fran TKO's, when we got wise to that one etc etc

In the same bag as 'Women like it harder' or 'You can't keep a good man down' a big hairy chested Southern Soul mover that will be a staple of the scene for years to come!

Came a few days too late but Yarmouth would have fookin exploded if it would have been played there last weekend! It's perfect for the Yarmouth, Orwell style of gigs and will be massive!!!

If you think I'm going over the top (and I don't blame you if you do!) wait until you hear it. Gonna be playing it at Soul People on Saturday and then again on Soul People on Solar Radio this Sunday, sorry for the blatant plug couldn't resist it ;-)

Listen in, then tell me I'm wrong!!!!

June can't come soon enough!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 103
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Big words I know BUT I've just today received a copy of a song due out in June from Ace/Kent that has completely blown me away!

I mean seriously this is one of THE best Crossover dancers I've EVER heard! Played it a dozen times straight and I still want more!

Found in the FAME vaults and unreleased from 1969 it has everything!

Brilliant brilliant brilliant vocals, great song, cookin' backing, horns to die for, driving piano, chattering tambourine! Magnificent!

A crossover dancers paradise! It has everything!

In my humble opinion, this record will have a bigger effect on the 70's/crossover scene than say Dottie Pearson (Bring it over baby) when that surfaced or the San Fran TKO's, when we got wise to that one etc etc

In the same bag as 'Women like it harder' or 'You can't keep a good man down' a big hairy chested Southern Soul mover that will be a staple of the scene for years to come!

Came a few days too late but Yarmouth would have fookin exploded if it would have been played there last weekend! It's perfect for the Yarmouth, Orwell style of gigs and will be massive!!!

If you think I'm going over the top (and I don't blame you if you do!) wait until you hear it. Gonna be playing it at Soul People on Saturday and then again on Soul People on Solar Radio this Sunday, sorry for the blatant plug couldn't resist it ;-)

Listen in, then tell me I'm wrong!!!!

June can't come soon enough!

Cheers

Steve

Little outing at the orwell room at bury on the 30th could be inline then mr plumbthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

regards

dave lucas

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wot, no mention of the amazing bassline, Mr. P?laugh.gif

I have to agree with Steve - this is one of the most amazing crossover discoveries of all time.

Not that I am biased or anything...wink.gif

Social source share

Wot, no mention of the amazing bassline, Mr. P?laugh.gif

I have to agree with Steve - this is one of the most amazing crossover discoveries of all time.

Not that I am biased or anything...wink.gif

Tony, as your avatar says, your opinion is not humble no.gif

You and the Ace/Kent gang have turned some stuff up in your time BUT this is up there with the best thumbsup.gif

Shit! Did I forget to mention the bassline biggrin.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Be interesting to hear this eventually, don't think i can make the event, look forward to the feedback on it on here...........

Just been looking at the running order for the Soul People radio show on Sunday 18th April.

It's scheduled for approx 11.15 am (GMT)

You will be able to catch it on Sky 0129 or www.solarrradio.com

Be nice to hear your thoughts on it too thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I can't do refosoul either, but Steve has my full permission to post it up

a) after he's played it out and on air, and

b) as long as he only posts up the first verse and chorus for now

Social source share

I can't do refosoul either, but Steve has my full permission to post it up

a) after he's played it out and on air, and

b) as long as he only posts up the first verse and chorus for now

Hey Tone,

If Plumby has one - can't I have one too wink.gif

He may be taller and prettier than me - but my teeth are whiter laugh.gif

I'm looking forward to a listen soon

xx

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hey Tone,

If Plumby has one - can't I have one too wink.gif

He may be taller and prettier than me - but my teeth are whiter laugh.gif

xx

Taller? Maybe.

Prettier? I don't think so...blush.gif

Txx

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Steve, i know Sean Hampsey has some recent unreleased stuff via Kent, he plays one at Just Soul ( and also at Essence on the Sunday), and the other he played me in the car on the return trip back to Yorkshire from Essence, in my opinion they were and are two of the best tunes i have ever heard......could they be the same ?.......I am not going to mention either artist as i know it is still under wraps....very interesting.

Brett

Social source share

Hi Steve, i know Sean Hampsey has some recent unreleased stuff via Kent, he plays one at Just Soul ( and also at Essence on the Sunday), and the other he played me in the car on the return trip back to Yorkshire from Essence, in my opinion they were and are two of the best tunes i have ever heard......could they be the same ?.......I am not going to mention either artist as i know it is still under wraps....very interesting.

Brett

Hi Brett,

The tracks I played at Just Soul & Soul Essence are Willie Walker "Runaround" and Willie Bollinger "I Don't Wanna Cry No More" both from the magnificent Sounds of Memphis Catalogue and due out on Kent end of May (God Willing!).

And you're right. Both are INCREDIBLE tracks,

I annouced the artists and titles each time I've played 'em so they aren't really under wraps. Just unavailable at this time!

The track Steve is referring to is from FAME and is every bit as good as he says it is.

:hatsoff2:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Hi Brett,

The tracks I played at Just Soul & Soul Essence are Willie Walker "Runaround" and Willie Bollinger "I Don't Wanna Cry No More" both from the magnificent Sounds of Memphis Catalogue and due out on Kent end of May (God Willing!).

I annouced the artists and titles each time I've played 'em so they aren't really under wraps. Just unavailable at this time!

The track Steve is referring to is from FAME and is every bit as good as he says it is.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Glad you agree Sean thumbsup.gif

Plus, both them 'Willie' tracks you played are indeed incredible and sounded brilliant at Essence.

I'm looking forward to the 'Sounds of Memphis' and 'Fame' CD's in May & June

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hey Tone,

If Plumby has one - can't I have one too :wink:

He may be taller and prettier than me - but my teeth are whiter :laugh:

xx

The record has 'Kirsty' written all over it!

You're gonna love it mate!

Didn't realise my teeth weren't as white as yours - must check next time we meet! At least two out of three ain't bad :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: (Only joking, well I'm taller anyway!)

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

how fast is it gonna be?

Hi Mark

Set at 'classic crossover' pace with that tricky 'horn/stab' chugging rhythm that we all know and love!

Will slay the 70's/Crossover rooms but I think it will be too slow for Northern Rooms/All Nighters and probably too old sounding for Nu Soul/Modern Rooms!

Be nice if it did get a chance in them though thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Mark

Set at 'classic crossover' pace with that tricky 'horn/stab' chugging rhythm that we all know and love!

Will slay the 70's/Crossover rooms but I think it will be too slow for Northern Rooms/All Nighters and probably too old sounding for Nu Soul/Modern Rooms!

Cheers

Steve

Heard this in its full glory last night......A W E S O M E tune, heading straight for the dancefloors and hearts......Brilliant! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Heard this in its full glory last night......A W E S O M E tune, heading straight for the dancefloors and hearts......Brilliant! thumbsup.gif

You're usually the master of disguise when anyone plays you a tune, from years of protecting your wallet by saying 'It's OK' whilst inside thinking 'F*ck me this is brilliant' BUT last night I could see those little beads of sweat on your brow and your increased breathing and then finally, when yer glasses fell off and you let out the shout 'Steve Connor will f*cking love this' I knew I had you! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Breaking news - Steve will still have the first ever club and radio play on this, but Ady's also going to give it its first 'down south' spin at the 100 Club niter on Saturday - so anyone who'going there is also in for a real musical treat.

Social source share

Breaking news - Steve will still have the first ever club and radio play on this, but Ady's also going to give it its first 'down south' spin at the 100 Club niter on Saturday - so anyone who'going there is also in for a real musical treat.

Go for it Ady thumbsup.gif

Everyone at Th'undred Club will definitely be in for a treat!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Brett,

thumbsup.gif

Sean

The very same Willie Bollinger who sang lead for the Small Society eh Seanthumbsup.gif

what an incredible soulful voice he has ...do hope that's in the right tenseyes.gif

Social source share

Hi Mark

Cheers

Steve

Which means i`m gonna love it !!

Mark H

Social source share

Guest Dante

So it can be up here any day after sunday? :no:

Looking forward to this.

Social source share

Go for it Ady thumbsup.gif

Everyone at Th'undred Club will definitely be in for a treat!

Cheers

Steve

Mr Plumb......

You have not actually mentioned how good this track is................................ Will be listening to Soul People n sunday morning like a Beaver................Eagerly ph34r.gif

Is It Album only Steve, so you can play it in your LP set only, although as we both know some slip through the net.....yes.gif

Bully!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Brett,

:no:

Sean

Just to reiterate.

The two tracks that Sean has been giving plenty of air to are from 'Stepping Stone: The XL/ Sounds of Memphis Story vol. 3' and is joined by tons of unreleased cuts including incredible moments by the Minits, Louis Williams, Otis Wheat and a couple more by messrs Bollinger and Walker. This will be out the last week of May.

Steve's exclusive is from a Spencer Wiggins compilation of his post Goldwax recordings for Fame, Sounds Of Memphis and XL which i've been working on for a couple of years, but which needed Tony and Alec's trip to the South to find the music to go with the titles we knew existed. There are about 10 unreleased cuts and Spencer sounds amazing. This will be out in June.

Anyone in the South who wants to hear any of these but can't make the 100 Club tonight - and I'd highly recommend Ady's 60s Fame exclusive - should head to the new free soul night at Concrete on Shoreditch High Street next Sunday the 25th, where alongside Ion T, Marco Santucci and David Hill I will be playing all of these and more including a unreleased Female crossover cut every bit as good as the Wiggins.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And if you want the 100% adrenalin 60s stomper style, the Billy and Clyde 'World Of My Own' that the chaps picked up will also be revealed at t'Undred Club tonight!

I know, too, that this 1967 track is going to excite a lot of people. Fantastic on the fours groove, a to-die-for horn section and a chorus you'll be singing all the way to the bus stop and beyond. Perfect pure Northern Soul!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that these two tracks will be among the most significant 'discoveries' to be played on any soul scene this year (and not just because I was involved in their unearthing, either). It's a shame they were not released at the time, but the fact that great sides like these are still waiting to be found gives us all something to look forward to for many years to come!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I know, too, that this 1967 track is going to excite a lot of people. Fantastic on the fours groove, a to-die-for horn section and a chorus you'll be singing all the way to the bus stop and beyond. Perfect pure Northern Soul!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that these two tracks will be among the most significant 'discoveries' to be played on any soul scene this year (and not just because I was involved in their unearthing, either). It's a shame they were not released at the time, but the fact that great sides like these are still waiting to be found gives us all something to look forward to for many years to come!

I see from what i am reading the tracks mentioned will be getting released on CD, any thoughts of bringing the Wee Willie Walker, Willie Bollinger out on a 7", i've heard them and think they are staggering, and i imagine with all the hype i'm expecting the one Steve Plumb is pushing ( Spencer Wiggins ?) will fall within the same category. I much prefer the unreleased gems getting a vinyl release rather than the re-issuing of certain items that are already in vinyl format albeit rare and difficult to obtain.................Just a personal preference, but i still will be buying the Cd's.

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I see from what i am reading the tracks mentioned will be getting released on CD, any thoughts of bringing the Wee Willie Walker, Willie Bollinger out on a 7", i've heard them and think they are staggering, and i imagine with all the hype i'm expecting the one Steve Plumb is pushing ( Spencer Wiggins ?) will fall within the same category. I much prefer the unreleased gems getting a vinyl release rather than the re-issuing of certain items that are already in vinyl format albeit rare and difficult to obtain.................Just a personal preference, but i still will be buying the Cd's.

Brett

I'll be buying the XL/SOM/Fame CD's too but i know what you mean bout 45's Brett thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Mr Plumb......

You have not actually mentioned how good this track is................................ Will be listening to Soul People n sunday morning like a Beaver................Eagerly ph34r.gif

Is It Album only Steve, so you can play it in your LP set only, although as we both know some slip through the net.....yes.gif

Bully!thumbsup.gif

Scheduled at 11.15am matey

The one after is a beast of a track too WILL surprise a few methinks?

On the LP-Only set - I always like to throw a ringer in to keep you on yer toes!

Will be anxiously looking for your feedback on this track Bulmeister thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Anyone in the South who wants to hear any of these but can't make the 100 Club tonight - and I'd highly recommend Ady's 60s Fame exclusive - should head to the new free soul night at Concrete on Shoreditch High Street next Sunday the 25th, where alongside Ion T, Marco Santucci and David Hill I will be playing all of these and more including a unreleased Female crossover cut every bit as good as the Wiggins.

If the Icelandic vocanoes prevent me getting away next Sunday, I'll be there seeing as it's a stones throw away

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If the Icelandic vocanoes prevent me getting away next Sunday, I'll be there seeing as it's a stones throw away

I might be wandering over to SMERSH with it (and others) on Thursday if you can't wait that long, Neil...

Social source share

And if you want the 100% adrenalin 60s stomper style, the Billy and Clyde 'World Of My Own' that the chaps picked up will also be revealed at t'Undred Club tonight!

Billy & Clyde was very good; but Spencer Wiggins was fantastic - an instant dancer that lives up to the hype - worth the trip alone to get these two tracks...

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Yes the Spencer Wiggins was very good, but the Wee Willie Walker Sean is playing is still the one that has left me dazzled....

PS....Steve that George Soule was fantastic, makes Sandra Wright look pale to me now................thumbsup.gif

Brett

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes the Spencer Wiggins was very good, but the Wee Willie Walker Sean is playing is still the one that has left me dazzled....

PS....Steve that George Soule was fantastic, makes Sandra Wright look pale to me now................thumbsup.gif

Brett

The Soule is another goodie from our recent "Haul Of Fame", as it were. I like it a lot as an alternative to Sandra, but it's only a demo and Sandra's is still significantly better, just as you would expect a finished record to be...

Sorry Spencer didn't overwhelm you, Brett. It's still overwhelming me to the tune of about a dozen or more plays a day...:yes:

Social source share

Brett

I think in hindsight Brett that when you have heard the George Soule a couple more times, you may take that Statement back.................SANDRA WRIGHT pale.................:no:

BEST

Bully!

P.S. The Spencer Wiggins track Plumby................Rate Up My Street!thumbsup.gif

ANY CHANCE OF POSTING UP THE SPENCER WIGGINS TRACK IN REFROSOUL....

Edited by Bully Boy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!