Modern In The Main Room

Paulb

Does it drive anyone else mad when dj's play modern tracks in the main hall when there's a modern room upstairs. I dont care if this is the "biggest modern track of the year", I dont want to hear it. And if i did turn temp insane and want to hear these tracks I would go into the modern room.

Soul Sam played a few on sat at the kings hall and I couldn't understand why when it was billed as an oldies night.

How well would a 60's stomper go down in the modern room, not well so why play modern in a main room?

Rant over.

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does it drive anyone else mad when dj's play modern tracks in the main hall when there's a modern room upstairs. I dont care if this is the "biggest modern track of the year", I dont want to hear it. And if i did turn temp insane and want to hear these tracks I would go into the modern room.

Soul Sam played a few on sat at the kings hall and I couldn't understand why when it was billed as an oldies night.

How well would a 60's stomper go down in the modern room, not well so why play modern in a main room?

Rant over.

link

Totally agree 100% :yes:

Social source share

All depends what you class 'modern' :yes: most modern (70's northern) is oldies, Sam usually plays some great crossover and 70's which can be very refreshing at a nighter The modern room upstairs i think :yes: never really been there but it caters towards 'new modern' im not a massive fan of 'modern' in a main room but, you've got to think most of the people who go to Stoke are looking for this :yes:

Social source share

Gotta disagree Sam's one of the best dj's about IMO and he should play whatever he wants, as should all the dj's.  I thought Stoke now advertised itself as the biggest newies and oldies?

link

Agree......

Everyone know's what Sam play's irrespective of weather he's in the modern room or the Oldies room, he'll play whatever he want's, and it's usually streets ahead of what the other jocks ae playing........As a bonus maybe he introduced one or two new tunes to the masses.. :yes:

Social source share

The very thing that Ian Levine got slagged off for - playing whatever he wanted.

link

The thing is though they all know that Sam is booked prior to the event, they all know what Sam plays yet still they moan...why not just stay at home, can listen to everything that they wish to listen to then :yes:

Social source share

Guest remus

The very thing that Ian Levine got slagged off for - playing whatever he wanted.

link

You can't put Sam in the same boat as Levine. Levine used to play New York disco and that dire Mecca 70's stuff.

If you can play 50 & 60's R'n'B in a main room then why not Modern?

Social source share

Guest remus

Rant over.

link

Except when records like Ace Spectrum, Nolan Porter etc EVENTUALLY cross over to the Northern room and become Northern classics! :yes:

Social source share

You can't put Sam in the same boat as Levine. Levine used to play New York disco and that dire Mecca 70's stuff.

If you can play 50 & 60's R'n'B in a main room then why not Modern?

link

Er, because a) there's a separate modern room and cool.gif hardly anyone wants to hear it and c) how would the modern crowd react if someone played a 50's r&b track in 'their' room?

Social source share

If its an across the board night then fine.If its billed as oldies with a seperate modern room then no.

If I want to hear modern I can go to a modern room, if I don't why should I have to in a main room.

Its not on IMO to play what you want when people have paid their money to listen to Northern Soul to be made to listen to something else, and that can include R &B in a main room when there is an R & B room.

Social source share

Guest rachel

link

IMO depends how the 'main room' has been advertised... most places the main room is across the board rather than 60s/ oldies only, I haven't seen recent advertising for Stoke so don't know... maybe the few he played in there weren't modern enough for the modern room but acceptable in most mainstream across the board rooms... or maybe they've been played in both... not knowing what he played, difficult to say but there are 70s and later tunes which are just as played to death as some 60s.... as a few have already said, Sam is well known for playing whatever he wants (which I must admit doesn't always go down well, but I have a lot of admiration for him these days).... and really, what does it matter if someone stretches the music policy for a few tunes? If it was a whole set of modern in an 'oldies' room, then it's a fair enough complaint, but if only a few of a style you don't like then just see it as time to have a breather for when something you do like comes on :yes:

Social source share

IMO depends how the 'main room' has been advertised... most places the main room is across the board rather than 60s/ oldies only, I haven't seen recent advertising for Stoke so don't know... maybe the few he played in there weren't modern enough for the modern room but acceptable in most mainstream across the board rooms...  or maybe they've been played in both... not knowing what he played, difficult to say but there are 70s and later tunes which are just as played to death as some 60s.... as a few have already said, Sam is well known for playing whatever he wants (which I must admit doesn't always go down well, but I have a lot of admiration for him these days).... and really, what does it matter if someone stretches the music policy for a few tunes? If it was a whole set of modern in an 'oldies' room, then it's a fair enough complaint, but if only a few of a style you don't like then just see it as time to have a breather for when something you do like comes on  :yes:

link

It was billed (on here !) as 'Main Room' oldies from all era's

Butch and Sam were booked. Would have been suprised if either played oldies. As Chalky says, surely people read the advertising.

If Sam played the same sort of spot he played at Middleton I'm suprised anybody complains though, his 'modern records' there are far from new releases.

Social source share

It all depends on your definition of "modern". Now I do realise that there are those here abouts who define "modern" as being soul recorded after Dec 69 (and prior to Dec 75) - i.e. music that's 30 years old or more. On the other hand the Modern room at Stoke, I'd wager there would be very little played pre 1990 (or maybe 2000 for all I know) in there.

I was labouring under the misapprehension that music recorded in the early - mid 70's was more akin to music from the 60's than say todays true "modern" is to either. I was also belabouring under the misapprehension that most of these barriers had been broken down especially with some of the passe and totally overplayed modern, and also some of the crap modern making into northern playlists (Party time man being an example of the latter, Ace Spectrum the former).

Anyway stop grumbling, and just be glad you got to listen to Sam spin an hour of good quality music. :yes::yes:

Social source share

To quote a wise promoter;

:yes: Have taken on board the comments made by quite a few of you, both here and via email, and have decided that the Main Hall will be, as requested, a 100% Northern Soul room, keeping the Modern upstairs. Now the fun will begin when we play something like Flame N King, Ann Sexton etc in the Main Hall :yes: To me, it's 70's Northern :yes:

link

Social source share

Guest remus

Er, because a) there's a separate modern room and cool.gif hardly anyone wants to hear it and c) how would the modern crowd react if someone played a 50's r&b track in 'their' room?

link

Which room did you attend at Wigan Pete, the main "across the board room" or the oldies room? :yes:

Social source share

Guest remus

The main room where they played the big sounds of the day.

link

:yes: What!, you mean you actually stayed in the "across the board" room playing new releases along side 60's soul, pop stompers and instrumentals! :yes:

See, I knew you were open minded you dark horse you! :yes:

Social source share

Guest remus

Shall I dig out a random c90 from 1977 and see what it tells us???

link

got any tapes recorded from the 60's Pete?, double or quits on that tenner that there would be 98% modern!? :yes:

Social source share

One from 1975, no date but probably very early 75..

shawn robinson

jades

fidels

earlw right

linda jones

timothy wilson

tobi legend

silhouettes

don't pretend instrumental

in crowd?

paula rousell!

frankie valli

dalton james & sutton

sweet talking guy inst

one from october 76

willie mitchell

matt lucas

popcorn wylie

bobby hutton

johnny williams (misunderstanding)

jay & americans

ronnie mcneir

mystic moods

french fries

billy woods

yum yums

mvp's

gentlemen & their lady

norma jenkins

adams apples

roscoe & friends

rain

Social source share

Guest remus

One from 1975, no date but probably very early 75..

shawn robinson

jades

fidels

earlw right

linda jones

timothy wilson

tobi legend

silhouettes

don't pretend instrumental

in crowd?

paula rousell!

frankie valli

dalton james & sutton

sweet talking guy inst

one from october 76

willie mitchell

matt lucas

popcorn wylie

bobby hutton

johnny williams (misunderstanding)

jay & americans

ronnie mcneir

mystic moods

french fries

billy woods

yum yums

mvp's

gentlemen & their lady

norma jenkins

adams apples

roscoe & friends

rain

link

fair bit of modern tucked in there Pete :yes:

Social source share

It was billed (on here !) as 'Main Room' oldies from all era's

Butch and Sam were booked. Would have been suprised if either played oldies.

link

Then be surprised.....both played some (well chosen) oldies.

Sam's set was the best of the night ....mainly a mix of 60s and 70s oldies, including three consecutive Mowtown records, Will Collins, King Tut :yes: and the odd newer find like Margaret Little and Joseph Webster.

I don't recall him playing anything modern :yes: and the floor was busy!

It was left to the less imaginative DJs to spin shite like Futures and Ace Spectrum.... and needless to say, repeat them!! :graynone:

Social source share

Sam's set was the best of the night ....mainly a mix of 60s and 70s oldies, including three consecutive Mowtown records, Will Collins, King Tut  :yes:   and the odd newer find like Margaret Little and Joseph Webster.

I don't recall him playing anything modern :yes:   and the floor was busy!

It was left to the less imaginative DJs to spin shite like Futures and Ace Spectrum.... and needless to say, repeat them!! :graynone:

link

Name names Dave :yes:

Social source share

Sam's set was the best of the night ....mainly a mix of 60s and 70s oldies, including three consecutive Mowtown records, Will Collins, King Tut  :yes:   and the odd newer find like Margaret Little and Joseph Webster.

I don't recall him playing anything modern :yes:   and the floor was busy!

link

And doubt the crap disco version of " Baby I need your loving " by gail somebody got played as well.... :yes:

Social source share

Guest rachel

And doubt the crap disco version of " Baby I need your loving " by gail somebody got played as well.... :yes:

link

<----------- :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!