100 Club Crisis

Well although I enjoyed last night, the numbers were low for the fourth consecutive all nighter. It started in January when we ran it during the freeze when everyone else had cancelled, so that wasn't surprising, even though Mick Smith managed to get there from Wolverhampton record fair while others reckoned they couldn't get across town.

Then we clashed with Rugby anniversary and a lot of the regulars were DJing there so naturally their carloads went there. But march and April really didn't clash with anything major so last night in particular I was down about it (although I had recently been encouraged by Crossfire).

REASONS

1) I don't have time to promote as well as I used to and with a hectic Cleethorpes schedule I won't really be able to do this until after then.

2) A lot of soulies don't like the fact that the general public can get into the dances now. I understand that but really don't feel that if we returned to members only we'd get enough people in to pay the bills, which since we've had to move to 10pm-6am have been high.

3) Are most nighter venues having the same problem? Is it a general demise of the nighter scene brought on by over familiarity and ageing?

4) Music policy. I've alwys tried to keep it a reasonable mix of old, rare, new, 60s, 70s, R&B and god knows what but are people getting more picky and less understanding of other people's preferences? Can't fans of one genre of music abide to hear even a few of those of another.

5) DJ line up. I'm happy with all of my regulars, i don't think there's a week link there, though Joel's arrival has coincided with the bad run, I'm positive this is a coincidence and i personally have been happy with every spot he's done and there are a lot of tunes I wasn't overly familiar with there.

I do find it hard to get guests who draw any extra customers and I'm not sure there are many in the country who would personally up the attendance, but I'd love to know of some.

There are probably a lot more reasons that I've not worked out yet, but please if you care about the club at all let me have your opinions. Some will be the opposite of someone else's and sort of cancel each other out, but that's fine it will give me a better picture even though I know Soul Source isn't 100 % representative of the 100 Club crowd.

If the only comment is something like "I don't like London" that's probably not gonna be too helpful!

Funnily enough at the start of the night Butch and I were chatting about the Stafford reunion and saying that if the 100 Club closed now it would immediately gain mythical status and I could run reunions and sell T shirts and make more money running it as a historical venue than a current one.

Of course the final conclusion might be that it's run its course after 31 years. Randy and I only started it for somewhere to hear the music we loved and a year was good going, three decades is quite unbelievable really. I still enjoy the nights very much but don't want to see it die on its arse. Going bi- monthly is an obvious option but it would make the breaking of good new records even harder and that's one of the best aspects of the club in my opinion.

So let me have it, even though it might be hard to swallow. I've got a pretty thick skin, know I and the club are far from perfect and don't hold grudges (too long).

If you'd rather it was off the record just send a PM, I'll read them all and hopefully reply to them all though it might take a while with work and family duties being very busy at the moment.

Ady

Social source share

• Replies 367
  • Views 38k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hey Ady... 100 club is one of the best nights going, the dj line up is cool and ye run it spot on. Like you n Butch say it is a legend but it's still a bang on place to go and hear and dance to quality tunes.

Andy

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Oh it's really sad to read this.

I think you will find most of the larger to run or more expensive places are struggling at the moment.

People are finding it hard and money is tight. Trouble with the 100 is its quite an expensive trip for northerners now to come and support you. Petrol is not cheap.

Lea Hall was very low in numbers the other week , and I have heard the Skegness weekender was the same so its not just your venue.

You always get people turn up in droves for "one off events" so I wouldn't bring the turn out for Stafford into the trying to understand why one event can bring in a large mass against another regular reputable event bringing in less.

Being honest Ady I am put off coming to London after the I think it was "Crossfire" event where the Flirtations were on .

I found the numbers inside this event very oppresive , to the point of being dangerous if a fire broke out , too many people and drinks spilt everywhere and people bumping into you and not having the grace to say sorry , sort of put me off Central London events where the outside public can attend on mass.

So comparing this event as a succcess is also wrong compared to the 100 in my view. I travelled many miles for that event and lasted all of 1 hour. I thought the sound system that night was crap too lol lol you said be honest. Win some lose some eh.

Maybe less is more ? Make them hungry for it , put 4 on a year , make it members only , and enjoy a little time off imbetween.

The music is superb second to none so no change is required there. You may not have success in numbers but your reputation to deliver the best in soul is still up there.

Social source share

Talc,Memberships,piss heads,new times,over zellous bouncers,no backdoor man :laugh:

Best Ken (stuck in Rugby)

PS as Carms says,petrol prices.............westminster council are in there wisdom raising the free parking times to 11pm so arriving before 11 a no go £6 per hour parking or is it more now,its gonna be worser then less hours,be emty at the start etc.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I think, as mentioned money is tight for a lot of people (thats why I've missed a few in the past months) so that could be one reason. Also I think if it was every other month it would make it a bit more exciting and I would look forward to it a bit more.

Social source share

As per usual,no one want to say whats on there mind realy whenever i have been honest about the 100club no-one backs me up so i delete my posts,and everytime get folks saying why didnt you leave your post up your right Ken, well instead of waiting for me to put me foot in it,come and have your say here right now.

My last bug bare,dj's that actualy go to allnighters where are they.

This post will self destruct soon !!

Social source share

Guest aaaaa

I THINK FOR A LARGE PART IT IS JUST A FINANCIAL REASON, PEOPLE KNOW I DRIVE A LONDON BLACK CAB AND I ONLY WORK NIGHTS AND TO BE HONEST THINGS ARE QUIET AT THE MOMENT HAVE BEEN ALL THIS YEAR SO FAR ,AND ALL LAST YEAR FOR WHATS IT S WORTH.

Social source share

Guest eggman

Talc,Memberships,piss heads,new times,over zellous bouncers,no backdoor man laugh.gif

I would say Ken is right with all of the above

Social source share

Leave your posts up Ken.

I think maybe every other month and members only.

I've heard folk (mostly in the north) moan about the 100 Club dance floor, I could never really understand that because I thought it was okay. that's just one small point.

We can't turn the clocks back, the 1.30 till 8 era was a super special time for me and lots of others. Those hours leant themselves a bit better to nighter goers. Anyway as said can't turn the clocks back.

This thing with the folks off the street, well I can see that they would be needed with the overheads, but in a way it's robbing Pete to pay Paul. Soulies are fickle and pissed idiots on the dance floor can be cause for 'wont go there again'. I know there's been talk that some of these new faces enjoyed themselves and good luck to them. I don't agree that these people can be talked about as 'new blood' though, I find that a bit of an insult. Oxford St is one of the busiest in the metropolis and these people are opportunist late drinkers, I don't think many of them would mark it in their calendar for a return visit.

Bi-monthly and members only. Sort of a re-launch with some decent publicity and I'm sure soul folk would support en masse the want to keep the longest running nighter going.

Social source share

Reading this has made me feel very guilty as I didn't go last Saturday, going up to the Preston Soul People night with Steve Guarnori. And I won't be at the May one as I'm up at Boomerang.

Prior to Saturday I'd been to each 100 Club allnighter this year, and had noticed with dismay the drop in the number of regulars. In my comments on the March all nighter I had a moan (gently I hope) about the non soul people there. I fully appreciate Ady's need to let them in, he needs their cash to keep the whole thing going. But it's a two edged sword, it does stop some people going. I don't think drinking on the dance floor is such an issue, generally if they're asked not to, they stop. But as someone who does enjoy dancing, the antics of some of them are extremely irritating. I don't appreciate people literally dancing into me; I'm an extremely good natured person at a soul night but on more than one occasion have felt like thumping the individual. Probably not a good idea as they are younger than me and would problably end up putting me in hospital, lol.

The dropping out of regulars is probably the most worrying thing. There are so many events on these days, I wonder how they fill them up as, let's face it, we are a tiny music scene, proved that you rarely go to a soul night where you don't know anyone. Carms has made a good point: fuel prices are affecting people, travelling is not cheap. If you don't book rail tickets well in advance they too are very expensive. If regulars have dropped out for specific reasons it might be good if people were honest, I know on Soul Source that if you criticise an event you are immediately slagged off. But honest criticism has to be accepted.

What I have noticed in the time I've been back on the soul scene is the number of people who have disappeared. When I started goiong out again there was the Capitol Soul Club at the Dome, These Old Shoes, Scenesville, Soul In The City and probably others that have slipped my mind. All of these have gone, and many of the people who went there don't seem to go to the places I attend. Obviously many may have moved out of the London area, or they may have travelled in, not so sure about attendees of TOS and Soul In The City, they were midweek events, not so easy if you have to travel in and then go home out to the sticks.

Sorry I've digressed. The music policy at the 100 Club is probably about right. There are classic oldies played, and you need some of them for dancers, you know where you are with them, no sudden changes in tempo, etc. Butch is always worth listening to, he seems to have so many different records to the norm; and leads the way on the rare soul scene. Often I have to hear his tunes a few times to appreciate them but he's got so many good tunes, and most importantly, he knows how to put them together. His funky stuff may not be to everyone's taste, but surely we can put with a few records that don't do it for us while waiting for something more to our taste. His Martha Jean Love cover up, That's The Way The Story Goes, is the best NS track I've heard for ages.

I've only heard Joel play a few times but have enjoyed his sets, and a lot of his records are unfamiliar to me. I like to hear stuff I know to dance to, but also want to hear new tunes as well. Is Keith coming back? His sets were always good, and I'm sure he is missed by many. I've particularly enjoyed Mick Smith's early sets, some nice medium tempo and beat ballads. And Ady always plays interesting sets, some tunes I know and some I don't.

The guests seem okay to me, I would personally like to see Arthur Fenn and Soul Sam among others guesting there. Perhaps Andy Dyson and Cliff Steele too (you can tell I like Lifeline and it's type of soul music). I'm sure there are plenty of other DJs that would be popular, mind has gone blank as I type this.

The music policy generally is mainly sixties with some seventies being played (mainly by Butch). Does it need to be expanded to include more of the latter and maybe more early eighties records? I'd like that, but no doubt others would vehemently disagree. One problem of the soul scene generally is that everything is pigeonholed, classic oldies, Crossover, Modern, R&B, rare, etc. You know what I mean. Many of us are extremely intolerant of anything we don't personally like. Not sure how you please everyone, perhaps less negativity.

If Ken is right and parking regulations are to be changed, this too will hit all night life in the West End. I'm lucky and can come up on public transport, but I wonder why councils make life so difficult for motorists on a Saturday night, but of course it's all about money isn't it?

To me the club has a sixties ambience, but the dance floor could do with sorting out, but that is down to the owners, not Ady. Sometimes the sound isn't that great either, but again it's the same at many soul nights.

I sincerely hope that the all nighters can continue, there isn't really that much going on in London, certainly not for the slightly rarer sounds. If you have to make it quarterly so be it, I'll be sorry but I'm only one individual. And I'm in a slightly different position to many as I'm on my own, don't have anyone else to consider if I want to go out. It must be difficult if you have family, and especially a partner not into the music. Hard to tell a non soul person that you're going out at 9 pm and you'll be back in the morning sometime after 7.30, not likely to go down that well.

I apologise for rambling on, I do get verbal diarrhoea when I'm at the keyboard, but I hope my comments are helpful. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Social source share

The 100 Club is up there with the best of them Ady and always will be.......I've not been for years..but during my 2/3 years as a regular the thing that killed me was always the drive home..zzzzzzzzzzzz...I could always stay down in a hotel-but you are then "Fleeced " with |London prices !

As Ken said we always used to get to the Smoke early, park up for the evening and enjoy the walks through Soho and the West End-a few favourite pubs to go in and have a laugh-make a night of it.

There is SO MUCH on and short of hearing your own and Butch's "New" discoveries the Capitol holds no real draw for us to travel down especially on a regular basis -we really should make more of an effort to support you.

I always enjoyed the 100 club for its attendees, there were always people in there who you wondered how the Hell they got therelaugh.gif . Then there was George Melly spilling out on to the pavement after the early Jazz sessions

Money is certainly tight at the moment and with the petrol and travel in general going up by a third in real terms over the last 2 years something has to give. Do you spend £150 on a night out in London or stay within 30 miles of home and spend £50 and switch on the MP3 player in the car/ home to hear the rarer stuff after the night is done?

Don't worry too much about the Stafford effect..it was a reunion..as Butch said to me in the Pub before hand.."I don't recognise anyone in here Rob !"..Stafford had its VERY poor nights when it was in full swing with 80 people in there --that's why it shut. Pete Wid and I were talking in the venue and he said "If this many people turned up when it was open, it would still be running"

So Ady are you going to do a "Mousetrap"--the worlds longest running all-nighter--still going strong after all these years--or are you going to go out in a blaze of glory?

My own opinion is go every 6 weeks and avoid clashes with similar events catering for the rare 60s end of the market.

Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide to do with it.

Rob & Karen

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

hi adey, i rarely come to 100 club,prefer to frequent the northern haunts., ........... however i think its been quieter since xmas everywhere......mace had his lowest ever attendance for his anniversary do at bidds , ...........as i have posted before i think lots of people are organising there own local soul nites and its easier and cheaper to get to them, and with the soulsource/facebook thing easier to advertise , and for the crowdseekers to follow ,.......... look how rugby went down in numbers after a big night last time ..........{.,flyers have become just an artform in my view with no real influence ]......or they seem to save up for the bigger events, weekenders every weekend somewhere in europe ...........also a lot of people seem to want "bright clean new club"venues not the seedy caverns we all grew up with an love .......dont think there is a magic solution, .................. maybe promoters are not going to be able to pay djs in future, if they love the scene shouldnt they be out and about anyway ???????????? theres a saving .or is that to simplistic......cheers ezzie

to put it in context....i went to the football regularly in london , in fact all over . in the 70s and it was mad, bad and dangerous..like many a good niter !!!!!.........not been since it but appears a differant sport now, with going to a game "an leisure experience " the soul scene seems like that to many these days....times an folk have differant expectations ........

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Guest Simon

Think some of it may be down to age, that's speaking from a personal view, i was a fairly regular goer up until about 5 years ago, just find it so hard to do an allnighter nowadays that's unless i'm djing & that tends to make me stay awake as i'm focused on it (that's not a punt for a dj spot btw lol, although the 100 club has always been the ultimate dj spot to attain from my point of view).

Last time i went a couple of years ago i found it ok but got bored by about 3 o'clock, Butch's 7ts spot that went on for about 45 minutes i found very hard to grasp although i have complete respect & admiration for Butch it just wasn't what i wanted to hear at that particular time.

Freshening up a night every now & then is always a good idea in my book, i've just taken over in the last year 50% running of a shop that was going down the pan, it's now going in the complete other direction, that's mainly down to someone new coming into the business with energy & enthusiasm. Maybe this could help you Ady, there's some of these young kids coming through with boundless energy & enthusiasm, maybe you could get them involved in some of the promoting & pushing of the event.

I hope it works out for you, if it wasn't for the likes of you i'd never have got into NS, especially with stuff like the Kent albums, thanks to them i'm still discovering new stuff even to this very day.

As i said earlier i'm now the co owner of a Mod/Vintage shop in Brighton, if you have any flyers, posters etc we can always help push the night through the shop, we get a lot of Mods & Soulies coming through the doors.

Good luck Ady!

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I can't comment on the locals or the music as it has been a long time since I attended.

I think the fact there is so much on these days will have something to do with it. I am not just talking about your club Ady. It is happening all over.

Yes things are also more expensive these days so perhaps bi-monthly is the way to go.

When venues are on every month people tend to think I can catch it next month if I don't go tonight.

But if it is on every other month, if you don't go, it ends up being 4 months since you last attended!

This should encourage people to make more of an effort.

Social source share

Not much going on in London!!!!!!. There's loads of rare soul nights....

Va Va Voom

Boogaloo

Solid Hit Soul

Capones (Benfleet) Essex I know

Towerful Of Soul

The new Volcano Allnighter

RSG Hemel

Mind Yuh Business

Crystal Palace

Mousetrap

100 Club warm up gig.

Hard As Nails

Filthy Soul

Crossfire Allnighter

Madam Jojos

Bisley (surrey)

Ben Summers doo on Sundays

Smersh nights...

X Ray soul

Top 500 (Buffallo Bar) Islington

Theres a club in Hackney as well...name will come to me

New entry-Brighton Beach Allnighter Hove

Chelmsford Allnighter

Gaz Rockin Blues

This is all the old 100 Club's potential audience (apart from Bisley or Jojos).If these werent happening 100 Club would be full.How many of these have consistently packed nights apart from Solid Hit and Va Va Voom.All the customers are spread

and the anticipation of the next gig is gone.The 100 Club was unique but it has been copied in soul night form.Everyone wants a piece of the pie but there's not enough pie to go round so people cook their own and it aint Mr Kipling.

I havent even touched the surface of London and the surrounding areas plus there's weekenders/Mod doos/scooter doos/Foreign Soul weekenders/UK soul weekenders...the bubble has got to burst as the recession kicks in and maybe it will go back to a few allnighters in the UK again.

Thats just off the top of my head.There was a time when the 100 Club was the only place you could go and hear such a broad mix of music in the south, never mind the UK .It seems the wheel has gone full circle and I'm finding it hard to find a solid uptempo niter with new similar sounds!!. This was a time before everyone wanted to be a promoter and deejay (and that includes me!!) and a time before the proliferation of soul nights.The customers are spread very thin and at a lot of the above venues the template is based on the 100 Club.There wasn't the proliferation of soul nights and a lot of people take the easy option....let's check this club out ,never been before,we can have a few drinks and be off by two.What about the 100 Club?.No it will always be there.If these clubs were not there and the 100 Club was the only place to hear the music then the 100 Club would be packed, but that's democracy.People get older/more commitments/kids and lazier.The ambience of the place is unique, even with the bumpy dancefloor.The 6am finish doesn't help.It was bad enough at 8 getting transport home on a Sunday.Just my thoughts. Theres always been tourists at the 100 Club but most of them were into soul music and were on holiday/visiting.Used to be loads of German/Italian/Japanese as well.Even the ones that werent into the music were respectful.People will turn out for special events/ anniversaries/Cross fire (although a lot of people who would have been to x fire went to Stafford) but regular niter goers are getting thin on the ground because of soul nights.Never went to the original venue before the 100 Club...was it West Hampstead and always wondered what it was like.I've even been passing through a few times and thought about it.Is it still there ??. How about a night in there.I know Clarkey has other more important things in his life at the moment but I would love to hear him out again.Hope you pull through.........I keep thinking of clubs to add!!!

How about getting a dj from all of the above clubs and throwing a massive allnighter/dayer at the Rivoli in Brockley......

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

never been to the 100 club but its on my list of places to go , my mate yocky has told me about and says its a must do place,

so please think hard and long ady before doing anything drastic.

as been said on here ,expence , other local nites w/enders etc.

well london is a great tourist attraction ,so off the top of my bonce , hows about a capitol soul w/end based around the 100 club, am sure you or someone could organize reasonable accomodation and a package for a crackin w/ender , we have them at many coastal resorts and people readily travel to these events from all over the country so why not in central london, maybe the regular niter as run its course by all accounts this has been an outstanding event but have you have said things change so hows about looking at it from a different angle,

cheers b

Social source share

I've been happy with the music when we've been and have enjoyed Joel's 'spots'. We haven't been able to get to the last few months due to Chris working weekends. I've noticed a lot of 'regulars' missing though last few times we've been down probably due to them being elsewhere! Train tickets booked for May!

Social source share

Guilty as anyone for the last couple of years or so in not attending. It is one of the iconic venues of the Northern Soul scene and have been many times in the past. But as many says the actual cost of getting there is going up and up, time (7 hour plus round trip in the car)and families is another factor. No longer in as situation where personally I can please myself, I have a family to think about and I also have a demanding job (same will apply to many of us now) where I am/can be away from home much of the week.

Another factor is there are simply too many venues, people can get much of what they want on their doorstep and with the advent of the internet not many records stay exclusive for very long so doing away for much of the need to travel to hear the new stuff.

I do hope it survives and hopefully I will be back down the smoke sometime in the future (sooner rather than later).

Social source share

never been to the 100 club but its on my list of places to go , my mate yocky has told me about and says its a must do place,

so please think hard and long ady before doing anything drastic.

as been said on here ,expence , other local nites w/enders etc.

well london is a great tourist attraction ,so off the top of my bonce , hows about a capitol soul w/end based around the 100 club, am sure you or someone could organize reasonable accomodation and a package for a crackin w/ender , we have them at many coastal resorts and people readily travel to these events from all over the country so why not in central london, maybe the regular niter as run its course by all accounts this has been an outstanding event but have you have said things change so hows about looking at it from a different angle,

cheers b

THE " i was gonna go " gang turned up on the burnley thread to........ph34r.gif .....

looks like i was right bout what people want...............organise a whole weekend when all they gota do is turn up and they might might just come..go and pick um up !!!!......ohmy.gif throw some sand and deckchairs in a corner.......bar open all day...........hot dogs..........and oldies banging out ..........club saved....but.... if it aint what it was..then is it worth it ???????? ........better shut up now ......... not been for bout 5 years myself..........ez

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Hi Ady,

first off, MUCHO Kudos for what you have achieved over the many years [& so consistently] - you are in my eyes, THE truest Stalwart of the Soul scene in this country thumbsup.gif

Now, down to my perception of the nitty gritty! As an original member & supporter of the 6Ts Rhythm & Soul Club but not the 100 Club I feel I may have a slightly differing opinion than others on here, but you did say you wanted 'warts n'all' & hopefully this will all prove to be constructive..

If asked to capture the essence of the 100 club, I'd immediately think of is it's core members & their amazing support through all the years - they to me are what the 100 Club represents. However, that said if I were to think of it as an entity, I'd be reminded of all the reasons I have very rarely attended; the shocking sound system, the uneven dancefloor & the central location itself. That said, I've always truly appreciated the quality of your DJs but kind of wished they were more diverse - both geographically & musically [too long a story for now]. Two rooms in various locations may be one solution..

Based on just my personal sense of things as they are & to further the success & support of what you do, I'd suggest to find somewhere more with the feel of upstairs @the Dome in Tuffnell Park [only with a decent sound system - theirs wasn't too good either!]. Whenever I went to the Capitol Soul Club, it felt as if it was accessible to those from Northern parts as well as being well worth the effort to find for those from the South! Or maybe even take your club back to its roots; of moving the location from time to time. I used to really enjoy following you guys around London, even if Randy would refuse to play any Northern in them early days no.gif

Whatever you decide to do, I'd wish you the best of British in the doing. Times are definitely tough out there, but remember - you have a brilliant core of support & the integrity & ability to evolve the concept once more..

[apologies if any of this is repeated since typing - it took me a while to get my thoughts down in the right way] thumbsup.gif

Best,

Steve.

Social source share

..hows about a capitol soul w/end based around the 100 club, am sure you or someone could organize reasonable accomodation and a package for a crackin w/ender , we have them at many coastal resorts and people readily travel to these events from all over the country so why not in central london, maybe the regular niter as run its course by all accounts this has been an outstanding event but have you have said things change so hows about looking at it from a different angle,

cheers b

Great idea..

Social source share

THE " i was gonna go " gang turned up on the burnley thread to........:ph34r: .....

looks like i was right bout what people want...............organise a whole weekend when all they gota do is turn up and they might might just come..go and pick um up !!!!......:ohmy: throw some sand and deckchairs in a corner.......bar open all day...........hot dogs..........and oldies banging out ..........club saved....but.... if it aint what it was..then is it worth it ???????? ........better shut up now ......... not been for bout 5 years myself..........ez

thanks for quotin me ezzie

but as said from the top of my head, yes I am am one of the gunna go crowd and to be honest london and the south in general aint my cup of tea. only do the isle of wight bank holiday scooter w/end coz its full of us scruffy northerners and dont go any further south than nottingham normally.

but I do several w/enders and s.i.t.s. ,thats what I like and so do many other soulies, dont need the sand and deckchairs either but a package based around the 100 club and its ethos would do for me ,just one night in london seems a bit too much for me when there are many excellent events going off every w/end not too far away so why not make something of it based on a w/ender , which are if done right are usually well attended,

cheers b

Social source share

Ady , please just take a step back and remind yourself that at the moment a lot of people are in the middle or coming out of a very bad time what with the recession and the massive hike in travel costs . I have been to the 100 club on numerious occasions and still to this day believe it to be the best out there.

It is also my opinion for what it's worth that whole scene has become very strongly regionalised and the ''Born-again Soulies'' , along with majority of the younger soulies only want the dreaded top 500 and have no need to travel to satisfy there craving for there tunes . Your regulars will always come back for the reason i stated above , but I feelit's the others that need to spread there wings a little and just see what they are missing, after all the music being played at the more progressive nighter is the music the rest of the country will be dancing to in 5 years time.

LONG LIVE THE 100 CLUB AND ALL OTHER VENUES THAT HAS TAKEN THIS WHOLE SCENE FORWARD OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS,

Social source share

thanks for quotin me ezzie

but as said from the top of my head, yes I am am one of the gunna go crowd and to be honest london and the south in general aint my cup of tea. only do the isle of wight bank holiday scooter w/end coz its full of us scruffy northerners and dont go any further south than nottingham normally.

but I do several w/enders and s.i.t.s. ,thats what I like and so do many other soulies, dont need the sand and deckchairs either but a package based around the 100 club and its ethos would do for me ,just one night in london seems a bit too much for me when there are many excellent events going off every w/end not too far away so why not make something of it based on a w/ender , which are if done right are usually well attended,

cheers b

cheers mate..........i get a bit carried away ...... but spent over 20 years away from the scene only 2 return and realise it was where i should have been all those years, :yes: and its changed a lot in the ten years or so i been back, maybe everything has, cept me .......at least your tryin to help, i just moan. ez

Social source share

No other excuse from me apart from travelling costs, petrol etc. Have not been for many, many years, iconic nighter of our scene, great work adey keep it going please, you never know someone might invent a wood powered car:laugh: . Is there a big contingent from the london area itself? or are the crowd mostly travellers?:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I have not been for a while now but this is soon going to be rectified as a few of us are planning to go on mass.

The forward recce has already taken place, our Derek has been to the last two and his reports are favorable indeed!

As far as numbers dropping, Ady you have been there seen it and got the T-Shirt, you can listen to the doom and gloom merchants but I think Carms is spot on; we are in a recession that is effecting every one.

I beg of you, ride it out. If we loose this marvelous bastion of our beloved scene then like Wigan, Imber, The Mecca and many others it will be irreplaceable.

This recession will swing back up, there are green shoots of recovery (did I really say that?) but money is still a little tight.

There is talk of an uneasy rubbing of shoulders with the Soulies and the great unwashed but a punter is a punter and bums on seats keep a club open.

Ady the last thing you need is to let us internet warriors tell you how to run The 100 Club, you have already said that we are only 10% of the club?

I think it would be a mistake to start knee jerking and changing what has kept you there all of these years, your passion, your dedication and the stable you keep sets you far above the norm.

The Northernsoul Scene is now a victim of its numbers, there is far too much choice and far too many fly by night money men and we all know that this dilutes the crowd.

I predict that as the numbers thin, and I think they will if the writing on the wall is correct, I think many of the less established nighters will fall by the way side leaving a healthy "culled" herd that will again gladly travel.

For those Northernsoulies out there logging on and reading this, did you ever wish The Casino was still open? Do you ever yearn to visit? And to those who had never been and wished you had, well here is an opportunity to both visit a legendary allnighter and support a venue that deserves support.

I for one am getting off my bum and heading down to the smoke!

Long live Northernsoul Long live the 100 Club!

Callin all South Yorkshire Soul Sourcers, Tarn Lads n Donny Soldiers n da Rotherham posse, lets get it together and lookinto a mass visit. Barney can we get summit going on Team Tarn Talk, I'll sort our little crew out and I'll see if Spot, Martyn and some of the north east crew are up for it.

Lets look into trains from Sheffield, Donny and Barnsley, I don't mind taxi'ng people around our manor and if we want to go by car rather than train, I will take my car and I'll sort out parking in the smoke at one of the Army camps.

Lets do it, lets support those who have supported us!

Social source share

The smoking ban has hit the Club really hard too. At any one time there are seemingly dozens of people on the Oxford Street pavement smoking and socialising who would once have been doing so inside while actually listening to the music. The atmosphere inside has definitely suffered as a result.

Other venues are luckier in having outside space which is a more integral part of the venue. I realise that this is something completely beyond Ady's control, but it has had a significant and unforseen consequence.

Social source share

From what I understand the newcomers are generally well behaved, polite and enthusiastic. Incidents of unacceptable behaviour have been isolated but tend to grow in hearsay. What it does mean is that the musical dynamic is different. New discoveries need a knowledgeable crowd to truly appreciate them. If all records (even the classic oldies) are unfamiliar to the crowd on the dancefloor then maybe the atmosphere can suffer.

Bullshit !!,unless you like being danced on or your drink drunk by someone else beer all over yer footware..............oh how polite :angry: and no i dont want a drink so fukc off i wanna dance.

Social source share

Guest karen b

THE 100 CLUB,

Having been fortunate enough to have attended many many many allnighters

all over the 'northern' hemesphere, in many foreign lands,

and dozens more oop north, (and Wales and Cornwall)

The sheer joy of planning and executing a trip to the 100 club is by far the

most rewarding.thumbup.gif

It hasn't always been easy because I have always worked weekends,

so, like a military operationph34r.gif I have to round up my car load, Pete and usually Arthur and Maria,

and leave Oxford Street no later than 5.30am to be showered and at work

for 10.30am in Scarborough, North Yorkshire!!!blink.gif

It is not the most healthy of lifestyles I know, and its getting much harder to do.swoon.gif

Which is why I have to think very carefully which months I can sort out a late

start at work.

I must now add that Petrol costs now factor into the trip far more than ever

and for us it is approx £100, and with the possible parking restrictions/costs

would want to make it a full weekend with friends not just the dash as previous visits.

I do however have ROSE TINTED specs as far as THE 100 club wub.gif (just ask Pete)

and perhaps because of the huge effort of travelling, early days all those years

ago from the far west country (Cornwall and Plymouth) then the past 20 years

from Yorkshire I have always loved every second of every tripyes.gif

The music, the people (yes, specially kenny!!) and THE VENUE even the rotten dancefloor,

crappy chairs and horrible toilets.

To sum up, for me Ady, has to ,be Cost, Age, and Time, (and tourists.hypo.gif)

Both Pete and I will support the 100 club and enjoy doing so as often as funds

(and work) allow.

Love Karen xxxxx

!

Edited by karen b
Social source share

I have not been for a while now but this is soon going to be rectified as a few of us are planning to go on mass.

The Northernsoul Scene is now a victim of its numbers, there is far too much choice and far too many fly by night money men and we all know that this dilutes the crowd.

I

For those Northernsoulies out there logging on and reading this, did you ever wish The Casino was still open? Do you ever yearn to visit? And to those who had never been and wished you had, well here is an opportunity to both visit a legendary allnighter and support a venue that deserves support.

I for one am getting off my bum and heading down to the smoke!

Long live Northernsoul Long live the 100 Club!

Callin all South Yorkshire Soul Sourcers, Tarn Lads n Donny Soldiers n da Rotherham posse, lets get it together and lookinto a mass visit. Barney can we get summit going on Team Tarn Talk, I'll sort our little crew out and I'll see if Spot, Martyn and some of the north east crew are up for it.

Lets look into trains from Sheffield, Donny and Barnsley, I don't mind taxi'ng people around our manor and if we want to go by car rather than train, I will take my car and I'll sort out parking in the smoke at one of the Army camps.

A good old fashioned coach trip--however RED TAPE means-you'll need 2 coach drivers--food and water for the horses--a health and safety statement and 23 fag stops each way

cost an arm and a leg and people won't pay their f**king deposits-just the same as 30 odd years ago when i used to run 'em to Wigan or Cleethorpeslaugh.gifyes.gif

keep us informed

R & K

Social source share

Little Rich and I keep meaning to come down and then we end up not being able to as we can't get a sitter or can't afford it. Although I would quite happily board the Mega bus for a tenner return, him indoors won't entertain it. So a couple of return train tickets , door tax and drinks etc you don't get much change out of £200.

I know there's been a Manc mini bus in the past that my other half travelled on with Steve C, Mr Bicknell and a few others? Although stories of these trips do sound a mite scary for a mere female I would definitely book a seat if sombody were to run it again and I'm sure a lot more would too!

Social source share

Lets not piss arse about, the 100 Club is legendary, you change a thing before I can get back down dem stairs I'm gonna be mighty pissed off, nothing wrong with anything about the place, dont change f*ck all, its a blip & if you can stand it financially it'll pick up, start messing with it & that will really mess thingd up..........the 100 Club is the 100 Club, those that know, know..........they'll all claim to have been when its closed, lazy f*ckers should get off thier arses, pool financial resources if requied & support the best Rare Soul venue in the world bar none..............if neccessary, if it makes a difference I'll set up a standing order to keep the place open & the same policy & I'm not joking...............Please, Please. Please keep at it mate, its the best music ever...........the contribution of the 100 Club to NS can never be replicated.......................

Get Richard Searling back down again & get Clarkie to make an odd guest appearance as special treats.............Like we had Scotland V England 100 Clubs, do the continental version London versus the rest of the world...............

If the scene allows the place to die, they should be ashamed & things really wont ever be the same again..............

Good luck Ady, working away right now, but as soon as I'm back. I'll be down them stairs again for sure, till then please dont change a thing.

Best Russ

Social source share

Concept of ops;

Go on the train

If this is a cheaper option we can train down there, go a bit earlier and have a look around? Loads of free stuff The Doctor Who exhibition, The Tower, North Pier, The Pleasure Beach and The Golden Mile, loads of stuff to see!

Car:

As I said I don't mind taking my car, a few cars and a load of people. Park well before the congestion charge zone and tube it in, arrive early and have a look around London to see Times Square, Statue of Liberty, and the Pizza hut.

Forget about coaches 118 unless the Sheffield bus to London is worth a look? I'll find out and by me finding I mean I will get our lass to find out, she is a ninja at finding bargains!

Ady get the dates up on here please

Social source share

Lets not piss arse about, the 100 Club is legendary, you change a thing before I can get back down dem stairs I'm gonna be mighty pissed off, nothing wrong with anything about the place, dont change f*ck all, its a blip & if you can stand it financially it'll pick up, start messing with it & that will really mess thingd up..........the 100 Club is the 100 Club, those that know, know..........they'll all claim to have been when its closed, lazy f*ckers should get off thier arses, pool financial resources if requied & support the best Rare Soul venue in the world bar none..............if neccessary, if it makes a difference I'll set up a standing order to keep the place open & the same policy & I'm not joking...............Please, Please. Please keep at it mate, its the best music ever...........the contribution of the 100 Club to NS can never be replicated.......................

Get Richard Searling back down again & get Clarkie to make an odd guest appearance as special treats.............Like we had Scotland V England 100 Clubs, do the continental version London versus the rest of the world...............

If the scene allows the place to die, they should be ashamed & things really wont ever be the same again..............

Good luck Ady, working away right now, but as soon as I'm back. I'll be down them stairs again for sure, till then please dont change a thing.

Best Russ

SPOT ON!!!!

Social source share

There was a Niter in Chelmsford on Saturday night too. Just down the road really so a few who would probably have gone to the 100 Club were there which obviously put a small dent in the numbers. A local niter for local people as the LOG might say.

Petrol, train and accomodation costs, not forgetting London beers prices have all contributed in the downturn in attendances too. The proliferation of local events has also drawn the punters away due to the number of DJ spots as well.

I think it's worth persevering though Ady so keep up the good work!

Social source share

adey,

im dismayed that it has come to asking peoples verdict on the outcome of the 100 club's future. i haven't been for many years either, but from a distance it has always stood out as the catalyst for the breaking of new sounds which, eventually end up-country and without that a substantial part of playlists in the north would consist merely of known rareities and bog standard oldies. i remember a time when the 100 club literally went "on the road" without it being called a tour as such eg: rarest of the rare at the ritz manchester. youre right, we're all 30+ years older than when it started but its not us who've gone stale, there's nothing wrong with the punters who attend venues other than they feel the aches more, perhaps some have finally called it a day but they are few and far between. the fact is more people want to jump on the bandwagon promoting, particularly since the new millenium and 10 years later, the calender is heaving under the weight of expectation....thats whats spreading the punters so thin...its not necessarily the quality of music thats suffering, so long as there are places like the 100 club, who push the boundaries. moey, of course, is another factor...in most cases its hard earned and subsequently, choices become harder based on where you are in the country...the cost of everything has rocketed.

so do you go bi-monthly and bring back admission? the travellers might be a small proportion of the gate but it dosnt alter their financial circumstances. either way in this uncertain climate its about your determination to ride the immediate downturn and be positive about the future, the 100 club still has so much to offer...i thought 10 years was exceptional for prestwich but that pales in comparison to the legend you have created, whatever you do, dont knock it on the head, you fought hard to get it back once before, it would be a travesty to cast it adrift now.

rob.h

Social source share

Ady is doing the right thing in sitting back and letting everyone respond first.

So far only a handful has really given an opinion in comparison to those that have attended.

It's a brave step asking for a warts and all response , and full credit for doing this. It's just as brave to tell a friend what you think is wrong.

People do need to give an "honest" opinion otherwise how can things be addresses.

The anniversary night speaks volumes , you always get people making more of an attempt to at least get to this one night. I find it hard to believe that the increase in numbers is due to having a "FREE" disc on entry, it's more about celebrating this great club at least once a year for most.

Thing is each year we are getting older , we want more comforts , sorry but it is a fact , most are on the wrong side of 45 now , for those that don't take the "marching powder" it's becoming harder to maintain the nighter culture. This has to figure into the equasion along with distance surroundings and family earnings and job commitments.

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

I think for us it's a money thing. Our bills are going up and work is tighter for my partner. We would love to come up to the 100 Club more often as we just love it as a venue and everything that goes with it but with purse strings being tightened it's not something we can afford to do as often as we like. I could drive up there to save costs on trains fares but then I can't drink and that's no fun at all! Will aim to come up soon though as we miss it.

Social source share

Why continue to run The 6T's R&S Society at the 100 Club if you are making a loss. I have no love of the venue...as someone else has mentioned the dancefloor isn't great and the sound system is variable. Musically I think it delivers a balanced mix. Find a smaller, cheaper venue and go back to members only.

Social source share

Best Russ

Richard Searling!!!. You would have to keep the 100 Club open Saturday and Sunday nights.There's a common thread here "I havent been for" and I'm as guilty as everyone else.I go to Boogaloo, Solid Hit Soul,Va Va Voom and Capones although I do a few scooter rallies on the Lambrettas . I don't go there for the music though....not really into Paul Wellersjamsunderpants play the Small Faces or northern on CD.Some of it is a cheesefest.I mostly go to Soul nights though.Probably because the people I'm with just don't do nighters (Mrs/kids/work etc).Butch deejays other places so the exclusivity of his sounds are no more.Everyone wants to deejay and the records can be bought with the click of a mouse if you have the money.No rummaging through boxes at allnighters and waiting for lists through the letterbox and ringing Pat Brady or Soulbowl to be told ....its gone.Everyone who doesn't get the opportunity to deejay then opens up their own night more often enough based on the 100 Club template.There used to be a lot of mods come through from the mod scene (pre Untouchables) but that has died out. Most now seem to prefer psych/rock music. I spoke to an Italian girl at xfire who was dancing in the soul room.She was into the psych. I said what's the attraction to the psych. She said the music is exciting and the people are younger.This music is for old people but it's quaint....jesus where has the edge gone!!!The pre mod revival northern scooter scene ran along with northern soul in the seventies.Whatever happened to that.The answer I think is special guests who can pull a crowd. Searling, Clarkey, Colin Curtis what about Terry Jones or Chris Hill(might upset some punters) the night would be different and maybe make some converts........Simon Soussan (only joking).There's a lot of deejays I have never seen dance as well and who only go to places where they are deejaying. What's that all about??

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest DonnaD

Ady called to say he isnt at the computer today (although his blackberry is taped to his hand as always :thumbup:) so wont reply very quickly. He is actually out with Sonny.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hello mate........

Just some observations...Firstly,i cant think of a single event in the last couple of years that hasnt had a noticeable drop in attendance,[not only specialized Northern events either].........that, i firmly believe, is directly down to the recession biting a lot harder than many want to acknowledge. Its certainly put things into perspective for me. Like it or not,partying comes way down on the list of priorities when money is tight.

I have it on good authority[though didnt attend myself] that the recent Yarmouth Weekender,Southport Weekender [and i noticed it at Prestatyn] have all suffered an attendance drop in varying degrees,so you are definately not alone in this Ady.

With regards to the Non Members at the 100 club....I think non members should be allowed in because if they arent into it they soon get the hump and piss off but at least it allows you some extra revenue and of course you always have the chance of someone actually enjoying it and becoming a regular.

Personally speaking,i cant attend like i used to for many reasons but still enjoy it immensly when i do....the 100 club will always have a special place in my heart.

I feel that the scene in general could definately do with more of a shake up but as you said in your initial post too many on the scene are just too intolerant of other soul music styles. There seems to be an enormous amount of baggage with some on the scene. It might just be me,i havent attended any of the European events but they do seem to be totally free of this sort of nonsense.

If you have to make the niters bi-monthly or even quarterly to survive then so be it......these are strange times indeed ..........do what you feel is necessary Ady.......

Keep calm and carry on,

Ivor

Social source share

I know this is gonna sound old hat Ady but to quote a song your guest artist at Cleethorpes will be singing is 'Time Will Pass You By' and the fundimental one factor in all this and not just confined to The 100 Club present situation but the Northern scene in general is time is passing us by, Jacqui and I were hardcore 100 goers also door and DJ staff I don't think I missed an allnighter at The 100 Club for the first fifteen years I even used to get the train down when I moved from Reading to North Wales in the late 80's but that was over twenty years ago, hitting 50 at the end of May and my desire, passion and commitment to do allnighters is just not there anymore, the scene for me has changed beyound recignition, many hardcore people no longer attend gigs and I guess for me the fun has gone out of it, I think if you reverted back to the later start members only and got it back to being an exclusive rare soul venue then this may be a step forward in getting it back to where it was, when you invited me down last March to DJ apart from a few regulars and DJ's a knew very few people there, it seemed a little like a place for a late drink for non soul people as harmless and as nice as they may be scene goers like to mix with their own and having outsiders there if you like can put some soul people off from attending.

One of the major reasons I did not do a second Droylsden allnighter last year was because the club owner invited and let in non soul people and for me it just does not work, as you are on edge allnight wondering if someone is going to kick off or spoil the night due to not understanding how the soul scene works, beer on the dance floor, bumping into dancers pissed etc. you have the dilema of funding the night so let in customers off the street but by doing this the very ethos and ideals of the exclusive soul venue then goes out of the window, then again if you deside to call it a day and run the last allnighter you would be full half hour after the doors open as all and their dog would want to be there.

As already suggested maybe bi monthly is the answer as people would make more of an effort to attend with it being less regular, whatever happens Ady you should be very proud of the last 31 years who else can hold a candle to that no one simple as that, the music, the legacy, your passion and commitment to the scene is huge, I was shocked that despite all this you feel the need to express your concern regarding the future of The 100 Club, let's hope that things pick up.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I'm a huge fan of the 100 Club and tend to make it down six or seven times a year. As some folks have already mentioned, only the type of general commitments that come with age etc stop me from being able to attend them all. I have, since my first visit in '86, consider this to be the most important regular Soul event in the South and it's blend of music policy, eclectic mix of attendees and such a unique and important venue, for me, tick all the right boxes. Thirty one years is an incredible achievement but I have always felt that an over reliance on an aging regular clientele would sooner, rather than later, see a steady demise. Along with several of today's regular faces, I came in through the Mod door and there has always been a few younger sharp types mingling under the shadow of the piano. I have seen over the last few months another up and coming (very devoted and seemingly well connected) Mod crowd at various London clubs and events that as far as I am aware are strangers to the 100. Ady mentions having less time to promote but maybe it's the kind of promotion that needs to be reconsidered. There is no reason, IMO, for this legendary night to stop or even reduce the the number of dates if these younger scenes can be tapped into and welcomed by the older heads.

Social source share