100 Club Crisis

So good music for you stopped in 1969 did it

what december 1969 or a couple of months before.

is this what you are implying.

I am sorry but i think you need to broaden your horizons a little.

you do not know what you are missing.

That is just my opinion.

Stu.

you're new here aren't you...LOL

Social source share

• Replies 367
  • Views 38k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:ohmy: er? wow slow down cocker i was meaning this bit

( p.s. Ady, thanks for starting this post, it's been bloody boring on here lately.)

talk about jumping to the wrong conclusion .

i was in agreement with phil k' thats all :rolleyes:

Wasn't sure hence the question mark. Sorry, still don't know your name..

Social source share

people should have talk to the promoters more, many people have a negative experience at nights, the music/ the floor/ non soulies/ the lighting/ the sound system etc etc etc, if you just leave and dont go back then the promoters don't know why the numbers are dropping off.. I have been a promoter for over 20 years, i like to get feedback on the night, good or bad and then its up to me to either sort things out or lose some custom.. Sometimes i act on the feedback and other times i don't, it depends on what i think is best for my venue or what i want from the event....

Agree with this Steve, problem is nobody promotes professionally, it's all very Dunkirk spirit and don't complain because he's a mate and we don't want to upset him etc etc. But to me, if you expect people to travel and then pay £10 to get in to your event, then you should be trying your damndest to make sure they enjoy themselves......and sorry wannabe promoters but that means spending time and money on PA, lighting and making people feel welcome. Also, put some thought into your Dj choice. Would you pay to go and hear your Dj's play? because 95% of them on this scene I wouldn't walk down the street to hear.

We all used to be dancers, now most of us are too decrepit so we all want to be Dj's, there aren't enough spots for us so we all open our own venues, and that's the real problem. Amateur Mickey Mouse events, Dj in a box PA systems with a room full of chin scratching wannabe Dj's who have f**k all to offer. Rant over. :ph34r::sad:

Phil.

couldn't agree more phil. there are clubs springing up all over the place realy making life dificult for established venues .what makes it worse you have morons playing oldies on fake records all the way up to so called dj's who just havant got the tunes am sick of seeing some of the same names on at the same venues and they wonder why the numbers are droping ....quality a word i keep seeing on flyers and in events listings when you know realy quality dosnt come cheap and thats part of the problem it aint hard to work it out , yes loads of good cheap records out there .but i aint going to go miles or pay in to a place that plays cheap records all night and those clubs are every where . still its nothing that aint already been said :sad:

Social source share

couldn't agree more phil. there are clubs springing up all over the place realy making life dificult for established venues .what makes it worse you have morons playing oldies on fake records all the way up to so called dj's who just havant got the tunes am sick of seeing some of the same names on at the same venues and they wonder why the numbers are droping ....quality a word i keep seeing on flyers and in events listings when you know realy quality dosnt come cheap and thats part of the problem it aint hard to work it out , yes loads of good cheap records out there .but i aint going to go miles or pay in to a place that plays cheap records all night and those clubs are every where . still its nothing that aint already been said sad.gif

Interesting perspective but wonder somehow if the entire dynamics of Soul clubs have changed with the times we now live in? Originally, the only way to hear a track was by travelling miles to hear the original [or emi disc copy]. Nowadays with the ease of access to tracks [originals or not +comp CDs to listen @home +Youtube & mp3s] I wonder whether the measure of a successful club now has more to do with the people who actually attend & the atmosphere generated? People do seem to be saying on here & Facebook that they will travel far if they know a certain group of friends will be somewhere rather than because a certain DJ has a certain record..

Social source share

Interesting perspective but wonder somehow if the entire dynamics of Soul clubs have changed with the times we now live in? Originally, the only way to hear a track was by travelling miles to hear the original [or emi disc copy]. Nowadays with the ease of access to tracks [originals or not +comp CDs to listen @home +Youtube & mp3s] I wonder whether the measure of a successful club now has more to do with the people who actually attend & the atmosphere generated? People do seem to be saying on here & Facebook that they will travel far if they know a certain group of friends will be somewhere rather than because a certain DJ has a certain record..

yes good point i supose your correct . but still its a shame that its all come to this but i dont know what we can do to try and change things its to late now anyway but i'll be sticking to my principles

Social source share

Thanks Bob for the picture - 1987? 100 Club - Sean Leonard, Kirsty Warwick, Robert Messer (photos), Simon Cuerden (My belly)

n672216913_958677_4933.jpg

Did any one get any pictures of scooters at The 100 Club?

ooh 1989 or even early 1990 I reckon. I still look rather "chunky" :laugh: Was dead skinny by the end of 1990 and had finally realised that I would be boiled alive if I wore a jumper, even if it did have short sleeves

:rolleyes:

I loved that skirt though - ankle length sunray pleats... that swished when you danced

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Very true.

These days, it's not just my own personal factors that influence whether I attend an event. Even if I have the 'allclear', if certain friends aren't going to be there, I'm not going to show. Didn't bother me in the past: I was far more adventurous then.

In our household, we refer to it as the 'shoal effect'.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Not disputing that at all ..it was the sweeping statement IE about scooter rallies and Mod dj`s that i took issue with ...

As for the 100 club in the past for me its been quite frankly the cost in these hard times as well as other commitments ie family etc and also the lack of publicity ,the amount of times my mate rings me up on the Friday night or even Saturday morning to tell me its on and do i fancy going ..will make an effort to sort things now i have the dates

No sweeping statement form me i think i know what im thinking:hatsoff2: , I do loads of scooter raliies a year and done my fair share of Mod "proper Mod" over the years too and love me Northern just a tad and do plenty of that too, why bring Mod djs in when they aint with what the scene is doing right now (ok some maybe) but i just dont understand what Mod djs could do for the 100 Club when there are shit laods of quality northern djs that could rock the place big time, the 100 Club is what the 100 Club is and if meant playing a lot more Mod style tuneage cos it might attract some new blood in then i think i know quite a few that wouldnt bother going cos they cant stomach what they would have to offer just to try and keep the young new blood happy that is following said djs, will they be there to support the next nighter when no Mod djs are on, i doubt it very much, anyway no dig at no one or the Mod scene just an opinion on what i think about Djs out of the scene and if they could benefit the 100 Club long term or short term, you gain some you lose some,

atb

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

there are shit laods of quality northern djs that could rock the place big time

REALLY!!!!!!! who are these people because I must have been looking in the wrong places???????

didnt you rate any you had at Burnley then Phil biggrin.gif im trying to say that there are plenty of quality djs that could play the type of tuneage that would suit the 100 Club music policy, punters are getting choosy and maybe some only want to hear the so called big names who ever they be but there are plenty of not so big names that can bring that something different to the night as long as the balance of djs is right which is just as important as dance floors, sound systems, bar prices etc etc imho thumbsup.gif

Social source share

there are shit laods of quality northern djs that could rock the place big time

REALLY!!!!!!! who are these people because I must have been looking in the wrong places???????

All I see you do since Burnley closed Phil is knock the current scene. There is plenty on offer, not everyone are Mickey Mouse promoters and most all-nighter promoters I know do their utmost to put on the best night they can. All promoters I know have full time jobs so they can hardly be professional promoters. Most do their best with what they have at their disposal. I do agree you should have a decent sound system, lights I'm not so sure about, no one wants lights at a nighter, new stylus every time a must too. I don't think we've ever had a perfect venue nor likely to get one either, do you think your night was perfect? Most venue owners would rather the northern crowd wasn't there, they can make just as much from a "normal" night and be in bed earlier too,less overheads etc etc (dunno if this applies to the owners of the 100 Club). I do agree their are too many local soul nights, that is where the problem lies, people don't have to go far for their soul fix but that is not too say they are all mickey mouse promoters nor have nothing to offer. Promoters in certain catchment areas should get their heads together, or maybe banged together.

There's nothing wrong with the Dj line up at the 100 Club, I wouldn't want to travel to hear mod sounds or funk either, some of the funky stuff being played is second rate and puts more off than it pleases from what has been said to me.

Social source share

All I see you do since Burnley closed Phil is knock the current scene. There is plenty on offer, not everyone are Mickey Mouse promoters and most all-nighter promoters I know do their utmost to put on the best night they can. All promoters I know have full time jobs so they can hardly be professional promoters. Most do their best with what they have at their disposal. I do agree you should have a decent sound system, lights I'm not so sure about, no one wants lights at a nighter, new stylus every time a must too. I don't think we've ever had a perfect venue nor likely to get one either, do you think your night was perfect? Most venue owners would rather the northern crowd wasn't there, they can make just as much from a "normal" night and be in bed earlier too,less overheads etc etc (dunno if this applies to the owners of the 100 Club). I do agree their are too many local soul nights, that is where the problem lies, people don't have to go far for their soul fix but that is not too say they are all mickey mouse promoters nor have nothing to offer. Promoters in certain catchment areas should get their heads together, or maybe banged together.

There's nothing wrong with the Dj line up at the 100 Club, I wouldn't want to travel to hear mod sounds or funk either, some of the funky stuff being played is second rate and puts more off than it pleases from what has been said to me.

The scene was f***ed before I started Burnley, that's why I did it, as somewhere for me to go where I could dance all night to great uptempo music, and hear something new to my ears that makes me want to dance. I got together in my opinion, the best set of resident Dj's that were available. I then went out every week to look for inspiring guest Dj's to book, that was a bloody lost cause. I have found out that all the guys that have fantastic collections don't have the time or the inclination to Dj. Where as the ones who are on everywhere on a weekly basis have got nothing to offer, and that is why people are dropping out in droves.

I was talking about lighting for sales and for the Dj's, and yes it is important. And yes I do think my night was perfect.

Phil.

Social source share

The scene was f***ed before I started Burnley, that's why I did it, as somewhere for me to go where I could dance all night to great uptempo music, and hear something new to my ears that makes me want to dance. I got together in my opinion, the best set of resident Dj's that were available. I then went out every week to look for inspiring guest Dj's to book, that was a bloody lost cause. I have found out that all the guys that have fantastic collections don't have the time or the inclination to Dj. Where as the ones who are on everywhere on a weekly basis have got nothing to offer, and that is why people are dropping out in droves.

I was talking about lighting for sales and for the Dj's, and yes it is important. And yes I do think my night was perfect.

Phil.

I agree with you regarding lighting for sales and as for the perfect nighter, like I said we haven't had one yet and if yours was perfect it would still be going. There is always something that can be improved, dj's, the venue, the mind set of the dancers etc etc. If we had the perfect nighter no one would go anywhere else would they :thumbsup:

Social source share

Phil.

Are you having a go at the amateur nights Phil - or at the droves that jump the niter ship to go to theses poorer nights,leaving the niters emptying.?

Maybe their taste in music should be questioned if they're happy to go to shit venues and listen to rubbish on boots.

There's good and bad on the scene,to say the dj's who are on regular have nothing to offer is a bit harsh.

Social source share

Thanks for the fantastic and overwhelmingly positive response to this thread. I think it's time to close it now. If a general discussion on the nighter scene is required, start a new topic please.

I'll mull over all the points and start a new thread where I map out the general plans for the club and will respond to all specifically relevant points about the club that have been posted.

It will take a few days to digest, dissect and interpreted all and to get some of the plans in motion. I need to set up a meeting with the clubs owners too. So please bear with me and wait for that and chuck anything extra that needs expressing my way then.

Cheers and thanks a bunch

Ady

PS I'm surprised nobody has noticed the first active thing I've done to ensure a swinging next nighter!

Social source share