100 Club Crisis

There is no large soul following in London anymore. Ive been to a few event's since moving to Cambridge and each seems to have its own small following (mates playing tunes to each other) , but never do these fracatious groups get together for one big night. Seems the same all over the UK (apart from the battered oldies retro scene, which i dont think contributes to anything).

Clubs run there course and maybe its that time now...better to bow out early than crawl to a slow demise..

I think nighters are becoming hard to run because the reliable old demographic is now too old to care enough to travel...they dabble and attend their own night out of convenience and and thats it. It was sort of inevitable.

For me the last time i went to 100 club, it had become an oldies fest and provided very little excitment musically. When butch or marco actually played anything new, soulful or different, the few soulies who were there seemed to have forgotten how to listen and give new tunes a chance...it is now really an oldies venue.....not like Stoke or those other Wigan throw backs, but, in its own way, its an oldies club...In the early 90s it seemed to buzz and have a musical excitement that made me want to travel and attend, it was predicatably unpredicatable! But, to be honest, that deserted the club quite a while ago.

Maybe the periodic revival approach is a good idea and will consolidate the London crowd (and travellers) as they seem to have become complacent and lack lustre.

Good luck..

Social source share

• Replies 367
  • Views 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think the suggestion that someone made earlier about maybe sorting out a decent package deal for a B&B or hotels for the longer haul travellers makes a lot of sense. With an aging fan-base convenience has to be a factor and the one thing London has is plenty of hotels and rooms and conveniently hundreds of 'em are within a mere stroll of the 100 Club. So rather than having to co-ordinate everything for just the hours that the club is open, having the option of a local room means that everyone could adopt a slightly more civilised approach to visiting the club rather than getting to 6.00am and then trying to figure out how to deal with the travelling back.

London transport throughout the night is also an issue for me. I would have happily popped down on Saturday night if it wasn't such a pain in the ass for me to get back home @ a civilised hour! I was at another function just along the road and would have loved to have come down between, say 1.00-4.00am but that would have entailed a £50 cab fare to get home and that's a luxury these days. I wouldn't have lasted 'til 6.00am otherwise that would have written me off for work on Monday so I had little choice other than to get the last tube back to my area @ 12.30am. This is patently ridiculous for a metropolis like London in 2010 but obviously that's way beyond any of our remits........

Also Ady, I think that the financial impact is really affecting a lot of things at the moment. I've travelled around quite a bit this year - Blackpool, Dewsbury, Prestatyn, Preston etc and it's not cheap so I guess you've got to be reasonably well-off to be a regular monthly gig goer these days.

Also I would really make a bit more of the heritage of the club - after all this is the longest running Soul club in the world isn't it? 31 years is a huge achievement by any standard - most clubs are lucky if they get 5 years! Since the 100 Club is one of the great institutions that's actually still running I would have thought it would be in the club's interest to generate a bit more interest in it's heritage. This could be achieved by being a bit more proactive on the PR front or by redesigning the flyers/posters/ads so that visiting the 100 Club is a historic occasion for many visitors. Are people necessarily aware of the heritage of the club? I dunno but if it were my club I'd invest a bit more 'history' in the entrance and stairwells for a start. There's certainly enough archival stuff that could be used and would give people a sense of the history of the club as they enter the hallowed portals. Not many clubs have the rich history of the 100 Club so I don't think I'd be shy in promoting it as the longest running Soul club in history. You need those extra visitors to make up the numbers and it would be naive to ignore this area IMO. Every 100 Club do should be seen as an event so you may need to step up the all-round promotion of the venue and get those extra couple of hundred 'waiverers' in each time.

And finally what's the deal with Talcum powder down there? Does the owner not like it? I popped along Oxford Street on Saturday 'cos I was at a party @ Centerpoint so I thought I'd share a fag with a few of the regulars and I noticed that Talcum powder was being confiscated. Is it that much of an issue?

But whatever you do, keep it running. The Xmas do was f*ckin' brilliant and I bumped into tons of people who made it down for the occasion. I just think you have to make every 100 Club do an occasion these days!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I am very fortunate to have the 100 within an hours bus journey from my front door with the best in DJ's and music for last 13 years that I have been attending and have the utmost respect for punters and DJ's who travel the country to attend(Keith Money for one). London changes like the weather so you always have to adapt (parking by credit card) but its an obstacle to over come if you are serious about attending.

As for the tourist trade, the new security staff have been doing a great job for a few years now and keep drinks off the dance floor, keep a check on behaviour but its not needed, a lot of non soulie's have been attending for years and they have a great time one or two get a bit excited but a word in the shell like it soon returns things back to normal :lol: .

I was sure it was the weather keeping people away but numbers have been low for the last 2 months, would be a shame to lose such a fantastic soul all-nighter for reasons of recession/credit crunch, I wonder if the London crowed alone can work on the solution to this.

How about a promotional night with a raffle for car, holiday to Bermuda,speed boat, music center, Oyster pass, OAP bus pass or something. :no:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest JimSLH

I think the suggestion that someone made earlier about maybe sorting out a decent package deal for a B&B or hotels for the longer haul travellers makes a lot of sense. With an aging fan-base convenience has to be a factor and the one thing London has is plenty of hotels and rooms and conveniently hundreds of 'em are within a mere stroll of the 100 Club. So rather than having to co-ordinate everything for just the hours that the club is open, having the option of a local room means that everyone could adopt a slightly more civilised approach to visiting the club rather than getting to 6.00am and then trying to figure out how to deal with the travelling back.

London transport throughout the night is also an issue for me. I would have happily popped down on Saturday night if it wasn't such a pain in the ass for me to get back home @ a civilised hour! I was at another function just along the road and would have loved to have come down between, say 1.00-4.00am but that would have entailed a £50 cab fare to get home and that's a luxury these days. I wouldn't have lasted 'til 6.00am otherwise that would have written me off for work on Monday so I had little choice other than to get the last tube back to my area @ 12.30am. This is patently ridiculous for a metropolis like London in 2010 but obviously that's way beyond any of our remits........

As you found out the other week Ian getting back from Euston Lol

Social source share

As you found out the other week Ian getting back from Euston Lol

Yep. Good job I got dropped off south of the river as that was only £35 and believe me I was lucky to get that! Most London gigs I do run at a loss these days!

I wonder why we can't have all-night tubes like they have in most other civilised cities on a Friday and Saturday..........?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ady,

As you contemplate the future of the 100 club and its nighters,dont rush into things with any bad vibes mate,Remember the very early days of 6ts Henri's, Hampstead etc people said it wont last long well you proved to everyone "it has".

Its still the upfront club going,as original member # 25 i love it always have and always will.

Yes im as guilty as the next person for not attending of recent months,out of all these years ive only missed around 11 in total,i came along on Saturday and still had butterfly's in my belly on walking down those stairs,upon entering the music was still outstanding even for an old fart like me.

Please please keep it going,weve all been thru' a rough patch of late,but its still a place like no other,we feel at home here.

This is for those of you out there......lets get together and start attending this historic and iconic venue before we lose it.......then what "i wish the 100 was on"

SO COME ON LETS GET THOSE FEET THRU' THE DOORS AND DOWN THOSE STAIRS and proveto Ady it is worth keeping at it.

Toby..

Social source share

Last came to 100 club December 2008.Did warn my buddies about the passing trade,but we kept out the way.Musically always great,dancefloor always jamlike,love the place. Got no answers Ady,apart from back to membership only,just support (although infrequent,and that's not helping - i'll shut up now). The club to set the standard for me,the one others should aspire to. Quarterly maybe? Hold a night in the Blue Posts?:D

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Well good on you Ady for inviting comments. I'm left with a heartfelt plea to life, the universe and everything that it keeps going. Even on the nights I don't go, it's a comfort to know that it's chugging away and that while so much changes the 100 Club just goes on and on. For many of us, the beating heart of our northern scene.

I have mixed feelings about the non-soul crowd. At first I thought it was a good thing. On the whole the northern scene is so bloody insular and at times so seemingly determined to indulge in some kind of protracted suicide by not attacting new blood. But I do think the atmosphere in the 100 Club is suffering now because of these nitwits. In the past, the 100 Club has been fantastic at getting fresh young faces along and introducing them to the scene, and Ady deserves a huge amount of credit for that. But they did tend to be young people who had an interest. They came because they'd heard about northern soul and were genuinely curious. Whereas now to have people along who couldn't give a toss about the music is disheartening. I used to think that if just one of them is genuinely moved then it becomes worth it, but there comes a time when they do more harm than good. I don't know what the answer is, but I do think that if it returns to membership only then we should all take some responsibility in promoting the club, and that anyone who does show a genuine interest is made to feel welcome. If it dosn't, then, as a minimum, shouldn't anyone who wanders in looking for a drunken dance be quizzed at the door? They should be told what the night is all about and refused entry if it's felt that they won't show it the respect it deserves. Perhaps this happens already, but if so, not very successfully.

As for the music, obviously we all have our own agenda. Surprise surprise, I want it to be less stompy and to hear more midtempo and crossover. I don't hear the variety that others have mentioned, but then admittedly, I'm at home in bed when others are just warming up. A coffee and a sandwich would keep there a bit longer and I've always thought it a shame that kitchen isn't put to use. But then if it was down to me there'd be sofas and an open fire. Hammocks maybe.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I hope nothing awful happens. A phase, surely.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I think, as mentioned money is tight for a lot of people (thats why I've missed a few in the past months) so that could be one reason. Also I think if it was every other month it would make it a bit more exciting and I would look forward to it a bit more.

:ohmy:

The first time i went to the 100 Club-nearly 10 years ago (:lol:) i didn't get along with it at all & actually fell asleep!:no: Then i gave it a second chance & fell for its charm. Walking down those stairs feeling those butterflies in your belly & feeling like something almost magical could happen. The 100 Club for me is like Wigan was for all of those who went back in t'day. I'll be telling my grandkids that i was a regular.:D

I think Joel is a fab new addition (even though i'm one of those guilty ones who hasn't been down in a couple of months) & Butch & Mick are always something a bit special.

If i was in your shoes Ady i would perhaps ask other promoters or travelling soulies to take flyers with them, perhaps just put it on 4 maybe 5 times a year & maybe freshen up the guests a bit? I don't mean any disrespect to some of the outstanding guests you have such as Keith Money it's just theres so many guys & gals out there who in my opinion would be worth a whirl...

Jo Wallace, Steve Cato, Stu Cheetham, Dave Rimmer, Woody, John Weston, Mrs Soul, Dolly, Dave Rivers just to name but a few. Maybe you could do a girlie night (i believe you have a great one before) with the likes of Jo, Lou & Dolly?

Also what about up & coming DJs for the first 2 hours or collectors hour?

P.S Can't wait for Cleggy!:D

P.P.S I'm happy to do some flyering...i'm always weighed down with flyers for somewhere or another anyway!:ohmy:

Social source share

maybe some of those who go once a year for the anniversary, get a single and then ebay it could show some more support? I haven't been to an anniversary unless I have been a regular at the 100 Club. The last anniversary I did some of those there hadn't been to the 100 club in over 10 years, it was packed to the rafters, how it used to be every week back in the 80's.

I don't think gimmick type nights are the answer either. What happens at the next normal night? The 100 club has a very good format with some of the UK's top DJ's but to be totally honest for the northerners there is plenty on their doorsteps and as already mentioned the inclination to travel is dwindling in an ageing Northern Soul population and on top of that you have the costs, £100 in petrol before you do anything else is a lot of money, especially in today's climate.

I don't know what the answer is, maybe as said go every other month. Lifeline has this policy and it works for us, keeps things that bit fresher and to be honest the crowds are not dwindling everywhere as someone has mentioned. Also you are working against other promoters, or they are working against you, Chelmsford is an hour up the road, why clash with the 100 club? There is plenty of room down there for two nighters and no need to put them on the same night. Lastly you can't rely on those who say they will be there to lend there support, they won't, maybe one night, then you won't see them again.

Social source share

As a lot of people have already mentioned on this thread, I think that bi-monthly or less will definitely help attendance. The last few nights have seemed to have come around very quickly and I can understand how this might put some off whether the reasons are financial, having time available to attend or worst case thinking 'the 100 Club...AGAIN!'

The anniversary and Christmas events are always well attended and excellent nights - the 30th was outstanding! I think more people make the effort for these as they can plan them and make any travel and accommodation plans they need, and know that there'll be friends and a higher concentration of soulies attending. Perhaps the same thing would happen in a less frequent standard night?

I know the question over the 'general public' has been debated a lot. As long as there's no trouble and anyone drinking on the dance floor is asked/told not to there shouldn't be a problem. I understand that they are helping to fund the club and you hope that some of them actually enjoy the night rather than just using it as a late night drinking hole.

There's nothing wrong with the music policy or DJ line-up in my opinion. Both are spot on!

The 100 Club is a very special place, loved by lots of passionate people. I'm sure it will recover from this temporary blip.

Steve

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

same as Ezzie really,we seem to do a lot more up north now, mainly manchester,have not been down the 100 club since mik parry djed, i must admit i have heard a few times of locals coming in and being total fooking idiots, but i havent seen that personaly myself anyway good luck............Andy.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I know the question over the 'general public' has been debated a lot. As long as there's no trouble and anyone drinking on the dance floor is asked/told not to there shouldn't be a problem. I understand that they are helping to fund the club and you hope that some of them actually enjoy the night rather than just using it as a late night drinking hole.

Steve

All-nighters need new blood and you are not going to get new blood on to the scene if you keep the non soulies out? A word with the bouncers could probably solve the problem of beer on the dancefloor, if they don't do their job get another crew in?

Social source share

Guest Imogen

Ady, I am upset and dissapointed to hear that you are thinking about closing the 100 club. As a new member on the scene (4yrs and counting!) I don't feel as though I have the right to tell you how to run or change your club. What I can tell you is why that old club of yours is so important to me. This might take me a while to explain....

The 100club was my first experience of a 6t's northern soul nighter. I will always remember the first time I walked down those well trodden stairs. Kevin had repeatedly told me how important and special this place was to him and that for twenty or so years had played such an important part in his life. As soon as I walked into the main room the atmosphere and the energy of the place excited me. I got straight on that dancefloor and danced all night in my long leather-heeled boots. I couldn't walk for about a week afterwards but it was well worth it.

I enjoyed going to the 100 club every other month or so for year but really started to lose interest when I kept hearing the same records being played out. I was also finding it difficult to connect with the London Mod scene.

When visting family up north we would go to soul clubs in and around Burnley and I found the mix of music played combined with the more friendly atmosphere of these soul clubs more appealing. The Burnley nighter especially excited me because like the 100club venue it was dark and slightly strange looking. The music was very different to what I'd heard played at other nighters and in a way it was more free and raw sounding.

When I started working weekends I couldn't go to nighters and travel out of London to attend soul clubs. I actually got quite fed up with the scene for a while because even in the small clubs I was hearing the same records played out again and again.

I started to go back to the 100club after the the first oldies crossfire when the Flirtations were on. That night really excited me again because I was hearing underplayed oldies and the dancefloor was buzzing.This night made me want to revisit the 100 club again.

Well I haven't looked back ever since. The 100 club may have changed in some respects over the last couple of years but it still has all the atmosphere you could want. It definitily isn't as busy as it has been in the past and maybe the non soulies have stood out more because of this. However the regulars and committed travellers that have stayed loyal over the last year are 100% passionate about the music and keeping the 100 club going.

I feel that over the last year I have totally connected with the 100club. It is my place. Like people reminice about the good old day's at Wigan or Stafford I feel priviledged to be having my best experiences at the 100club. I am excited about the new records that Butch is playing and how he mixes different styles of quality rare soul together with such ease. I feel very priviledged to be able to hear him every month in London. I have also met so many knowledgable and passionate collectors that have taken the time to talk to me and value my own record collecting.

I have been to other nighters in the London area that have left me cold. No atmosphere and excitment. At these places I feel that some of the Dj's are just going through the motions and the crowd are just there to socialise. Not so with the 100 club! If the 100club went I think it would be a travesty. The last one was a blinder. The music was spot on and the record chat was brilliant.

I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks this as there were many positive comments made by people on the night. The only way is up.

.............. to be continued.

Imogen

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Ady my friend,do not beat yourself up over this,it's not your fault.

I think most of the reasons people have already posted on here are a major factor.

And Even if the legendry clubs of 30 or more years ago were still going i think they would be struggling too.

I think the Entertainment and leisure scene is suffering just as much as any Genre of music.

My theory for what it's worth is that Leisure culture has changed.

Music was the be all and end all in my day,but now i think for a lot of the younger generation its not so important.

Anybody on here under 25 please correct me if i am wrong about that.

People have got lazy. why go to any Leisure or entertainment venue, if it means putting yourself out too much.

I think Northern Soul as a community,needs to all pull together,to keep this Genre of music alive.

Otherwise its going to go the same way as Rock And Roll.

Maybe people up and down the country need to organise maybe a few coaches going to and from the 100 club.

It would be cheaper for everybody then.

Also maybe Promotors of venues up and down the country,should try and get together and organise venues that dont clash. this maybe more benificial to all of them in the long run.

I Know A lot of DJs want paying cause it helps subsidise there record buying,but maybe even they need to take a bit of a cut in pay,to keep the scene alive.

And we ALL need to stop arguing about Oldies is best or R n B is best or modern soul or rare soul or r soul.

What happenned to the friendly community of Northern soul,when you met a stranger that was into this music and he automatically became your friend.

We all need to do our bit for the scene,no matter how small that is.

Stu.

Social source share

I think it could possibly help things a lot if Ady were to get the odd guest slot at other major allnighters.

He tends to sometimes under-rate his own record-finding and deejaying capabilites. While a lot of the plaudits rightly fall to Butch it's worth bearing in mind that Ady himself is still turning up more great and exclusive rare soul tracks than most out there. Playing the likes 'Torture' and 'The Magic Touch' at selected other venues in the 80s gave the 100 Club a huge credibility boost when when it was possibly still considered to be outside the mainstream Northern scene of the time.

As we've discussed ad infinitum on here it now takes ages to break a tune nationally these days. Maybe if some of his newer exclusive discoveries were given an outing at another venue 'on tour' as it were it might convince travellers to start making the journey to the 100 Club itself. Marketing is important and this is a vital part of marketing to the soul scene if you ask me.

Having said all that I'm convinced that the major issue is one of changing demographics. London can scarcely support a viable medium sized bi-monthly soul night at the moment. A nighter every month which needs a couple of hundred paying customers to remain on an even keel is a stretch when times are tight and the competition both in the other regions and internationally is stronger than at many times in the past. The increase in the number of weekenders has had a massive impact on nighter-going in my opinion. From spring to autumn it's possible to attend a weekender somewhere in the world (even Brooklyn!) practically every fortnight. The relative comfort offered by the weekender format is attractive to an aging soul scene. Monthly nighters have suffered as a consequence.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I think it could possibly help things a lot if Ady were to get the odd guest slot at other major allnighters.

He tends to sometimes under-rate his own record-finding and deejaying capabilites. While a lot of the plaudits rightly fall to Butch it's worth bearing in mind that Ady himself is still turning up more great and exclusive rare soul tracks than most out there. Playing the likes 'Torture' and 'The Magic Touch' at selected other venues in the 80s gave the 100 Club a huge credibility boost when when it was possibly still considered to be outside the mainstream Northern scene of the time.

As we've discussed ad infinitum on here it now takes ages to break a tune nationally these days. Maybe if some of his newer exclusive discoveries were given an outing at another venue 'on tour' as it were it might convince travellers to start making the journey to the 100 Club itself. Marketing is important and this is a vital part of marketing to the soul scene if you ask me.

Having said all that I'm convinced that the major issue is one of changing demographics. London can scarcely support a viable medium sized bi-monthly soul night at the moment. A nighter every month which needs a couple of hundred paying customers to remain on an even keel is a stretch when times are tight and the competition both in the other regions and internationally is stronger than at many times in the past. The increase in the number of weekenders has had a massive impact on nighter-going in my opinion. From spring to autumn it's possible to attend a weekender somewhere in the world (even Brooklyn!) practically every fortnight. The relative comfort offered by the weekender format is attractive to an aging soul scene. Monthly nighters have suffered as a consequence.

I for one would love to hear Ady a bit more.Loved his spot at a recent Rugby.

Social source share

Ady, i don't get over to the U.K. as often as i would like so can't really comment on attendance at niters etc.

but the 100 club was (and still is) a very special place for me.

As an overseas punter i feel this club is 'still' worth traveling for and for personal reasons one of my main ambitions

(as a d.j.) is to do a spot in front of that big '100' at this legendary venue so please don't stop just yet before i earn a chance to do this.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've ummed and ahh'd about this all day.

I've been very bad at getting back to the 100 since leaving London in 2005. I've only been back 4 times.

Mainly because I fell out of love with London. Not the clubs, or the great people I met on the soul scene. I had just tired of the place (I know the quote).

Maybe this is the same for some others who like me grew up outside, but had our time in the smoke. I dont miss it a jot, and have been loving building a new type of wonderful life in Wales.

I do miss the 100, and the friends I see all too infrequently. But as others have said. It can be a right palaver organising the trip, and it costs. In fact one trip to the 100 for Karen and I equals 3/4 of our disposable mon thly income. And that makes it a treat I can only enjoy every now and then.

If its any consolation, I havent been to Bristol City since the start of December. And this weekend I will miss the last home game of the season, for the first time since 1973.

Mark and his wife are moving back to London over the summer, so there is one guy who will be there every time. And hopefully we can join him when things pick up. (Have I mentioned that as an overpaid civil servant I have had one annual pay rise of £2.25 in 6 years! Oh yeah. Maybe once or twice.

I hope you find a solution to the current state Ady. Even if it is by dropping the number of niters, just for 12 months, to see how that goes. Nobody wants to see you, or any promoter losing money hand over fist, while trying to put on the best nite possible. And if that means you have to make the decision none of us want. Then you'll surely have everyones support. I just hope you are able to find a way to carry on.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Personally I think it's a combination of two things which are affecting attendances at the 100 Club. Economics and the new hours.

There just isn't the money around that there was two years ago, and people haven't got the same amount of disposable income that they did have. That coupled with the steady increase in train fares means that a lot of travelers who used to be there month in month out just can't afford to do it every month. It actually cost me over £50 in train and taxi fares last Saturday. Petrol prices are no better either to be honest.

The second point relates to travelers by train as well. With a 6am finish I have just under three hours to wait for the first train back, there simply isn't a train before 8.50am, and it becomes a real pain in the arse hanging about in London, especially during the winter months.

That said, I'll still get down there as often as I can. I hadn't been since last November, for a combination of reasons, mostly other DJ bookings and personal reasons, and I hadn't realised how much I missed the place.

Social source share

Thanks hugely to everyone who has posted and the PMs and Emails I have had, it's great that people are so concerned. There are a lot of very good suggestions already and I'm gonna give it a few more days as there are sure to be people who haven't had a chance to put their two pennuth in yet. Also I'm still looking after Sonny so won't be able to fully analyse all this for a day or two.

Keep 'em coming please, the more views, the better picture I'll get. It's really appreciated.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

Thanks hugely to everyone who has posted and the PMs and Emails I have had, it's great that people are so concerned. There are a lot of very good suggestions already and I'm gonna give it a few more days as there are sure to be people who haven't had a chance to put their two pennuth in yet. Also I'm still looking after Sonny so won't be able to fully analyse all this for a day or two.

Keep 'em coming please, the more views, the better picture I'll get. It's really appreciated.

Cheers

Ady

ADY,

this might be an old chesnut but perhaps somebody should step forward and do a film about the world's longest running all-nighter, whilst its still running to put its popularity into even sharper focus...maybe even paul.s at the head of this page would consider this a good challenge.

rob.h

Social source share

Music was the be all and end all in my day,but now i think for a lot of the younger generation its not so important.

Anybody on here under 25 please correct me if i am wrong about that.

:thumbsup: Under 25?? You're having a laugh ain't you?

it becomes a real pain in the arse hanging about in London, especially during the winter months.

Depends on where you're hanging it out! :ohmy:

Back to the 100 Club. I'll admit to being one of those who just attends the anniversary do's, although I don't sell the records. I live about 20 miles away from the 100 club, but unfortunately I'm a lazy git. I have never had the stamina to remain awake for an entire allnighter, as such I tend to bale out early. To do this I drive up there, last couple of times found car parking no problems at all, just the bloody traffic (even on a Saturday night) stresses me out. I work on the trains and as has been mentioned when it finishes at 6.00am, means a long wait for the first train home. Might seem little issues but still a deterent.

As for the club itself, right here goes.

Sound system not the greatest in the world, I'm not a dancer, but I do enjoy listening. Membership, tricky one, I prefer it when it's like minded people (soulies/mods whatever you want to call 'em) and if I'm honest some of the recent lookbacks have put me off attending abit. Passer-bys don't send off for anniversary tickets do they? Also the hours, I used to enjoy queuing up outside waiting for the 1.30am start, knowing everyone waiting was a member and that the passerbys would have to keep on walking. Would the bar closing at 3am, like the old days, improve things?

Finally, it's the 21st century, decent bogs wouldn't go amiss.

Social source share

I know its local for me so easy to attend but if the 100club nighters disappeared it would for me leave a huge hole in the uk club scene. The hundred club has, since I moved to London from Lancashire 25yrs ago, been my 'soul university'. In those years I've developed my appreciation of 'rare' and 'not so rare' soul dance music. I've made many many friends and danced my ass off! If there are a few holes in the 100club dancefloor I've probably helped make them!

I've seen the 100club go through lots of changes since I became a member all those years ago but it has always held its own. The music policy at the moment is as Ady says 'spot on'. I'd say its the best its been for a good couple of years. Butch has been awesome as usual. Mick Smith has dropped some of his crappier rare 70's. Joel has slipped effortlessly into the place once held by Irish Greg and Shifty and recent guests have made the grade, especially Kitch who I thought was outstanding. Ady is happy when everyone else is happy that's what he does. I know he can be a bit grouchy sometimes but god running the 100club for 31 years would do that to anyone occassionaly. Recently watching him play those records that he and Ace turn up is lovely. Ady's not that smug with it, and he very well could be, but you can see the inner smile. He loves it. As for the non-soulies sometimes they can be annoying-last month they spoilt the night but there's always been people like that down there it's Oxford Street. Imogen's right they just stand out more at the moment.

As for all this package rubbish some people are talking about, sod off! You either are gonna get down the 100club and hear rare soul dance music. The best rare soul dj in the uk and the friendliest crowd there's been for a while. If you're not interested keep away. Also if you're thinking of making a trip please don't go there with an attitude. There's nothing to gain down those steps except a bloody good time.

I've been in London 25yrs now and apart from a couple of other things its the 100club that has kept me here all these years. I used to say the 100club feels like an extention to my living room. That's how comfortable I feel about it.

You could say I'm biased. You'd be right. The 100club as a club and as an allnighter with a unique atmosphere should be cherished.

If it disappeared you'd miss it.

All the best Kev

Social source share

As for all this package rubbish some people are talking about, sod off! You either are gonna get down the 100club and hear rare soul dance music. The best rare soul dj in the uk and the friendliest crowd there's been for a while. If you're not interested keep away.

All the best Kev

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sorting out a package deal with a couple of local hotels or B&B's Kev? If someone's travelled a couple of hundred miles to attend the event might they not like to freshen up or get changed? Or maybe have somewhere to go back to and crash for a few hours rather then spending the time on the streets @ 6.00am on a Sunday morning before they can get a train back? Also, some customers might no be as young and sprightly as yourself and may require to leave earlier. I can think of a zillion places I'd rather be than walking the streets of London @ 6.00am waiting for a train that doesn't run until 9.00am..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Difficult times for many events etc.

The current economy and the smoking ban certainly don't help.

Ady, if you're too busy to promote the 100 Club regularly I suggest you either delegate to someone you can trust (then you can remain involved when time permits) or hold events less frequently. Sometimes events are more successful when they aren't so frequent. People are less likely to take them for granted and miss the odd event.

London has it's own additional problems, of course - with travelling, parking, accomodation etc. So maybe another consideration is to take the 100 Club out of London sometimes. It's more about the music and the people, not the actual venue, so you could promote some "100 Club" events around the country.

Either way, I hope you keep the thing going.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sorting out a package deal with a couple of local hotels or B&B's Kev? If someone's travelled a couple of hundred miles to attend the event might they not like to freshen up or get changed? Or maybe have somewhere to go back to and crash for a few hours rather then spending the time on the streets @ 6.00am on a Sunday morning before they can get a train back? Also, some customers might no be as young and sprightly as yourself and may require to leave earlier. I can think of a zillion places I'd rather be than walking the streets of London @ 6.00am waiting for a train that doesn't run until 9.00am..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian I can understand that some people may not be able to keep up the pace all night but London as you know has an excellent night bus service and people can always use the net to find cheap hotel deals. As for hanging about for the more hardy of people we always have a decent few after hours in McDonalds opp. Tottenham Ct Road tube. We discuss the night and records etc. What collecters do. By the time we've finished it's usually about 9.00 ish anyway. Anyone who is happy to join us come along. It's a gas.

Best Kev

Social source share

Ian D :D

sorting out a package deal with a couple of local hotels or B&B's is a mega idea!

Social source share

sorting out a package deal with a couple of local hotels or B&B's is a mega idea!

it will become a mini mini weekender....ohmy.gif .as i said earlier " a leisure experience "...........not an all- niter..no.gif .............but if thats the way things are going ..so be it, good luck all involved. ez

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Lets not piss arse about, the 100 Club is legendary, you change a thing before I can get back down dem stairs I'm gonna be mighty pissed off, nothing wrong with anything about the place, dont change f*ck all, its a blip & if you can stand it financially it'll pick up, start messing with it & that will really mess thingd up..........the 100 Club is the 100 Club, those that know, know..........they'll all claim to have been when its closed, lazy f*ckers should get off thier arses, pool financial resources if requied & support the best Rare Soul venue in the world bar none..............if neccessary, if it makes a difference I'll set up a standing order to keep the place open & the same policy & I'm not joking...............Please, Please. Please keep at it mate, its the best music ever...........the contribution of the 100 Club to NS can never be replicated.......................

Get Richard Searling back down again & get Clarkie to make an odd guest appearance as special treats.............Like we had Scotland V England 100 Clubs, do the continental version London versus the rest of the world...............

If the scene allows the place to die, they should be ashamed & things really wont ever be the same again..............

Good luck Ady, working away right now, but as soon as I'm back. I'll be down them stairs again for sure, till then please dont change a thing.

Best Russ

Bang on Russ thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Was only Talking to me M8 Tony Catsle the other night about the 100 club...sorting the out are next visit...it was planned for july...we do are best to get up to the the one and only from sunny southampton...but like most it can work out a lot for one night...don't get me wrong it's nothing to do with the door fee though...as it's worth every penny...so as mr Vickers said dont do nothing and heres to the next 10 years...ktf

Alfie

Social source share

Ian I can understand that some people may not be able to keep up the pace all night but London as you know has an excellent night bus service and people can always use the net to find cheap hotel deals. As for hanging about for the more hardy of people we always have a decent few after hours in McDonalds opp. Tottenham Ct Road tube. We discuss the night and records etc. What collecters do. By the time we've finished it's usually about 9.00 ish anyway. Anyone who is happy to join us come along. It's a gas.

Best Kev

Well I'm party animal supreme Kev but I don't always make it to the last record these days and the night bus service isn't for me mate. In fact the last time I made the mistake of catching a night bus home was @ the Kent 25th anniversary @ the Forum in 2007. It took me 2 and a half hours to get to 5 miles from where I live and the idea of sleeping in a skip actually looked appealing @ 4.30am.

And spending the early hours on a Sunday morning in the Tottenham Court Road branch of McDonalds doesn't fill me with joy either. laugh.gif We used to do stuff like that in the 70's at Motorway services but maybe I'm too long in the tooth to do that these days.

What I was getting at, is that I'm pretty sure that the 100 club could probably sort out some favourable rates with some local B&B's for those who have horrendous journeys and who may want to have more leisurely journies to and from. Just a thought like.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I've been attending 100 Club irregularly now for the 6 years that i've been living in London.

Personally i prefer the "normal" allnighter times 10-6am as i work most weekends. I've had some of my most amazing soul experiences down the 100 and certainly hope there'll be plenty more! There's definitely a contingent of under 25's that go, me a couple of years older than that, but i do think that there'll always be a new younger crowd learning to appreciate the soul scene, and the 100 is probably the best place in London to do just that. It's not something that happens fast, there's people getting into it little by little.

What's going on right now with lower numbers is nothing strange at all, there is a slump in everything at the moment, retail, travel etc, that's the way it goes when some idiot bankers steal your money.

If nothing else, surely it's ok if in 31 years you have one year that happens to be a bit slower.

Last Saturday felt a bit empty yes, but that was the first time i felt it. It was still a good night and i'm certain next one will be better again. Will get a few more people with me, promise.

Ady, whatever you do, don't change anything! If it's a case of the venue not taking what they need, i understand. But if 100 Club would change or even stop, if anything that would be a signal that the scene is dying! Keep up the good fight!

Big respect,

Marcus

Social source share

Difficult times for many events etc.

The current economy and the smoking ban certainly don't help.

Ady, if you're too busy to promote the 100 Club regularly I suggest you either delegate to someone you can trust (then you can remain involved when time permits) or hold events less frequently. Sometimes events are more successful when they aren't so frequent. People are less likely to take them for granted and miss the odd event.

London has it's own additional problems, of course - with travelling, parking, accomodation etc. So maybe another consideration is to take the 100 Club out of London sometimes. It's more about the music and the people, not the actual venue, so you could promote some "100 Club" events around the country.

Either way, I hope you keep the thing going.

Best wishes,

Paul

TAKE THE 100 CLUB ON THE ROAD JUST LIKE "INTER CITY SOUL CLUB " AND KOJACK HARVEY DID IN THE 70S , THATS AN IDEA , HERES MY REASONS .ALOT OF THE DIE HARDS ARE OVER 50 ,

WORK ,KIDS . CASH FLOW , TO BUSY ON COMPUTERS HA HA

GELDERD ENDER

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

the 100 Club is my favourite Nighter by a mile and although i missed the last 3 through various reasons i hope you dont think about doing anything different (maybe Bi- Monthly for the odd time or 2 if it makes a difference), the venue may not be perfect and pretty like some want it then if thats the case then you just dont get what the 100 Club is about, i go to a nighter for the music, people atmoshpere and a fooking good time and the 100 Club has that in abundance, not nice curtains and doilies on tables etc etc , macdonalds after is great too like Kev says,for me its part of the nighter :yes:

Anyway, all you lot that are counting the cost of the travelling i have a suggestion for you all, we have recently discoverd that going up by Coach can be as cheap as a £1 (from Southampton) and the same again for the return journey, myself and Marie got to London Victoria coach station and back to Southampton for £4.50 all in :yes: an 20 minute walk across green park along piccadilly and onwards and upwards to the Blue Post and your there thumbsup.gif

go online to "Greyhound Coaches" and look for yourselfs its chip as fook and pretty damn quick to :yes:

cant promise to be at the next one either cos thats May and i aint got a clue what im doing this month still but if i can i will always be at the 100 Club its the best nighter going for me :hatsoff2:

times are hard i know and with so much choice every week maybe thats a contribution towards attendees,

Have you thought about offereing anyone that attends 12 consecutive nighters a 30 minute spot at the beginning of the night cos after all the scene is full of djs and tell me anyone that wouldnt love to spin a few in front of them big red numbers so they can then tell the tale of their hostoric moment :D saying that you probably wouldnt ever see them again afterwards :laugh:

ATB

Bearsy & Marie

Social source share

the 100 Club is my favourite Nighter by a mile and although i missed the last 3 through various reasons i hope you dont think about doing anything different (maybe Bi- Monthly for the odd time or 2 if it makes a difference), the venue may not be perfect and pretty like some want it then if thats the case then you just dont get what the 100 Club is about, i go to a nighter for the music, people atmoshpere and a fooking good time and the 100 Club has that in abundance, not nice curtains and doilies on tables etc etc , macdonalds after is great too like Kev says,for me its part of the nighter yes.gif

Anyway, all you lot that are counting the cost of the travelling i have a suggestion for you all, we have recently discoverd that going up by Coach can be as cheap as a £1 (from Southampton) and the same again for the return journey, myself and Marie got to London Victoria coach station and back to Southampton for £4.50 all in yes.gif an 20 minute walk across green park along piccadilly and onwards and upwards to the Blue Post and your there thumbsup.gif

go online to "Greyhound Coaches" and look for yourselfs its chip as fook and pretty damn quick to yes.gif

cant promise to be at the next one either cos thats May and i aint got a clue what im doing this month still but if i can i will always be at the 100 Club its the best nighter going for me hatsoff2.gif

times are hard i know and with so much choice every week maybe thats a contribution towards attendees,

Have you thought about offereing anyone that attends 12 consecutive nighters a 30 minute spot at the beginning of the night cos after all the scene is full of djs and tell me anyone that wouldnt love to spin a few in front of them big red numbers so they can then tell the tale of their hostoric moment biggrin.gif saying that you probably wouldnt ever see them again afterwards laugh.gif

ATB

Bearsy & Marie

So how you gonna fit 150 30 min spots in, in 12 nighters time ph34r.gif coaches i dont fit huh.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So how you gonna fit 150 30 min spots in, in 12 nighters time ph34r.gif coaches i dont fit huh.gif

Surname alphebical order and Ken you can have the back seat all to yourself laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

:thumbsup:

That would be a manic night...you'd need revolving doors on the stage!:lol:

Maybe it is just a blip. Only time will tell but please don't stop the nighters.:no:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Adey,well lets start by saying we have not attended the 100 club save for the odd anniversary.......WHY? we have been out on this scene for many a year but for us generally the music being played in the south not just London had become stale to the point that we considered not going out at all. We then (just for a try) went north and wow what a difference and l mean totally. We have been travelling 200 miles north every month for the last 3 years because we found the music to be full of life and energy played by dj,s with such enthusiasm.Over the last 6 months we have been to nights where a couple of 100 club dj,s have played sets and to be honest (as thats what you want) they left us cold. Adey we don't know what the answer is for the 100 club. However we have planned to come to the 100 in may as one of our group has a big birthday and we're looking forward to it. Having read lookback posts over many a moon l get the impression that most folk these days go out purely for the social side of things and therefore stay closer to home with a smaller crowd travelling any distance for the actual music. atb tezza

Social source share

laugh.gif

That would be a manic night...you'd need revolving doors on the stage!laugh.gif

Maybe it is just a blip. Only time will tell but please don't stop the nighters.no.gif

It's not a blip Kylie more like a bit of a coronary...trouble is there's been lots of unpassionate people going there for a while and now that they've gone the people who understand what the 100club has always been about are returning ....slowly.

Best Kev

Social source share

Quite saddened about this, I regularly feel I'm not doing enough by not attending the one club I've always been very very proud to have been lucky enough to experience, and I mean that sincerily.

To be honest I go once a year now, maybe twice, and attend the Cleethorpes weekender.. with a young family and being under the lash of News International, I just cant afford to miss 2 days the other side of Sunday, and thats without the appetite suppressants!!

That said, the home of SOUL must continue, and when I can make an effort to get my arse down there.. God knows I spend enough on records, ~I might as well save on them and spread a little love at the BAR!!

Liza and I met and were married within six months having been regulars at the 100 Club, 11 years ago this year, so I can 100 % confirm, Soul is good for your Health!!

....and who ever mentioned Clarkie and Shifty, I'd love to hear those guys spin out...

BCNUThere!

Mal.C.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

I think Joan and Bearsy have the right idea, run it Bi-monthly and see how it goes. It would halve your commitment and when the economic climate picks up, you could go back to monthly if you wish.

I can't say a lot about the 100 club as I have never been but have intentions to. Reading this thread makes me feel I need to go. Basically, if we don't want clubs like this to fail, we need to support em.

See you there.

Sean

Edited by SHorny
Social source share

Guest GrahamS

Hi Ady

100Club 4 times a year plus the Xmas party. They would then become a bit more special in the Soul calendar. You would then have time to promote these dates and the place would be packed again. Definitely membership or tickets in advance to keep drunks/students off the street out, as unfortunately you inevitably get the odd twat with no etiquette. The scene needs new blood but its not going to randomly stagger down the stairs off Oxford Street on a drunken Saturday night.

Music policy and DJs are generally excellent, the dance floor isn't, but there's not much you can do about that. However for me there is something magical about the historical vibe to the 100Club as a venue that I love and would definitely miss if it were not around. Will make more of an effort to get to the next one

Graham

Social source share