• Replies 367
  • Views 37.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Simon

I'm not very liberal when it comes to some tw*t pinching me beer :D

Same here actually especially if it's a pint of old stoat badger ale or something similar, think the nearest the 100 club get to real ale though is Stella or sommat.

Simon :beer:

Social source share

A lot has been said on here about how to attract soulies into London, but I think it's important not to lose sight of the fact that one of the great successes of the 100 Club over the years has been that's it's somehow managed to be attractive to both travelling soulies and to younger, London-based folk from the periphery of the soul scene (of which I was once one). Somehow it needs to reconnect with both, but I would hope not with one at the expense of the other.

I took a friend down this year. She'd never been. And to me she's the kind of person that the club should appeal to. She's young and full of energy, isn't interested in following the crowd, passionate about music - especially soul music - and has a genuine interest in northern soul. I had raved about the place, so she came along, but she won't be coming back. Obviously I was curious to know why. Firstly, she said that she had been made to feel excluded and unwelcome. I was amazed at this, but it goes to show that we need to be careful about confusing the twats with new, genuine people. Secondly she said something about it being full of sad old men. Hmm. I didn't think that that was the case, but she said it. Certainly nobody could have made such a comment a while back (of everywhere else on the soul scene, yes, but not the 100 Club!) When I walked in there as a youngster for the first time, I was blown away - it was clearly a happening place! It would be easy to dismiss her comment as superficial, but atmosphere and appearances are important if new, young people are going to come, and surely we can't rely solely on an aging, travelling (now less travelling) crowd. (This thread is full of people apologising for growing up!) Again, no easy answers, but I would say promoting to open-minded young people on the mod scene and beyond is no less important than wondering whether Mr and Mrs X are going to make it down from Derby. The mod scene might have changed, as has been suggested, but northern soul influences seem to be seeping into new music as never before. A wider diversity of sounds perhaps, and a more youthful and varied DJ presence. (Is three old farts each time one two many?)

Musically, I think that soulful content isn't always paramount in the DJs' quest for new sounds. I'm one of the ones that wants to hear new records, and that's one of the reasons I've been a regular at the club, but as long as it's soulful. New, less loyal and dedicated punters are less tolerant when it isn't. And if it's the same tempo hour after hour, the good stuff easily gets lost. And as for the venue and location... for Londoners, perfect!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Personally I find taking loads of drugs & dancing All Night, then sitting in McDonalds for hours talking bollox to anyone who will listen preferable to the 'Latte' Soulies, who need their arses wiped if they travel further down the road than an hour

Russ

now ain,t that the truth pmsl:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I have only been to the 100 club 3 or 4 times a year for the last 4 years, I've have good nights and I've had not so good nights. For me I often find that around 3am ish there is a bit of a musical slump sometimes it recovers for me after this sometimes it doesnt. i have often thought that being a monthly event gives it the feeling of ah well if there's nothing else on i could always go to the 100 club. for me personally i think a bi-monthly members only event would give it much more of a buzz. i wasnt there for the halcyon days and god i wish i was, but i wasnt. despite my erratic visits i dont want to lose this legendary club just as no one else does, just maybe a slight rethink as it seems everyone else on here wants.

Ady stand fast and dont let it sink

all the best

Andy

3 o'clock slump............folks gotta start paying attentionthumbsup.gif .....seems to happen everywhere:yes:

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Just a thought but less than a mile from the 100 Club at a stale old venue playing 50's to 70's black American music is full to the rafters with open minded sexy young things getting down every Friday and Saturday night. If Madam Jo jo's can pack 'em in .............................

Social source share

I'm as guilty as anyone as I haven't been since last year , but I was going anyway in May , so that will be rectified . I think Keith Money has probably been really missed this year , though I'm sure his substitute Joel has been superb judging by reports .I think the 100 club has suffered a little like Wigan towards the end , you knew it was always there , and that you could go anytime ..this is probably a big mistake to make judging by Ady's introduction to this thread , as mentioned elsewhere , I'll wager May will be a packer . Also I go to a few venues , but hardly ever see any flyers for 100 club , Ady at least one of our Banbury crowd go out each weekend , you're more than welcome to send some flyers up for us to distribute .These are difficult times for everyone , but there are some great fresh DJ's and music out there , who could lighten up the dance floor with some guest appearances I'm sure .Hang in there Ady , you've come to far to end it now ....Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Theres been a few warmups in the 100 Clubs past....Trickster did one down Holloway Road I think.Miles away from the venue though.There was Johnnys Valtone nights in Eustonand now there's a warm up in Farringdon.It's 3 hours to kill for the transport to kick in on a sunday.I't wasn't bad when it was an 8 finish..a bit of breakfast and the transport was on.I think there's too many soul nights in London playing in the same style and not enough customers....and that's the bottom line.It's a night out, a few beers,hear some tunes, back home for horlicks and slippers.The mods that came through from the pre untouchables days were into soul and r&b and walked straight from Shmon by Mr Dynamite into Melba Moore Magic Touch seamlessly.There was that surge.The X fire New Untouchables customers aren't really interested.Most are young and are into psych and garage.....a lot of them don't even like soul.Northerners won't travel down as they now have a load of soul nights/niters on their doorstep. They have no need to travel.They used to have to travel to hear sounds.Maybe some fresh up and coming deejays playing new sounds along with some more established names.Let's look at the past.I moved down to London in 86 and started going then.I can't think of any other soul night/niters on then in London.I used to go the Wag on Monday nights (but that wasn't soul) and I remember going to a few events in Euston at some pub but that was about it...oh and a few trips to the Norfolk village in Shoreditch for modern soul.Then it was travelling up north to the Ritz and the Cleethorpes weekenders or Southport. Look at my previous list of nights in London.The 100 Club had a captive audience of mods (who liked soul and r&b) who were disillusioned with where the mod scene was heading plus there was an influx of European mods and Japanese along with the rest.There came a time when the sons of the 100 Club then went and opened up their own nights...Scenesville, Dome,These Old Shoes,Valtone and it has gone on from there.It's a rock and a hard place.Do you abandon membership and cover your costs with passing trade and hope some of them get into it or do you make it members only and hope the members turn up.??

Just thought of another 2 London gigs XRAY SOUL and The Top 500. at the Buffalo Bar..............!!

Not quite true.....when I first moved to London 86/87and began missing my Northern Soul fix I ran a club in Clapham Common-Upstairs at the Alexandra...The main dj's were Keb, Ady, Guy, Val, Roger, Ian Clarke, Roger Banks, Ion, Rob Marriott, Mike Atherton etc.... to name a few......It was where I first met Tony Smith, Russ Vickers, Jill, Ion, Kenny, Gavin Page, John Buck, Terry Jones, Paul Sadot, Mark Houghton... too many to mention.....I've also lost count of how many people still tell me it was their first proper Northern soul club experience and it was what made them stick to the scene and head up to the 100club and check out RSG and other places around. We had a ball down there for quite a few years. I know its a long time ago and we were all a lot younger (Ian D I didn't know you were 90yrs old):-) but this was well previous to Scensesville and the Valatone etc. We used to send people to the 100club to gain the fuller experience.

The music we turned over down there was unbelievable..the passion was great. I'd say the only soul nights in London at the moment kicking it on the 60's side are Boogaloo where Warren allows the djs to play what they want and Solid Hit where the djs have rare collections. (I can't really comment on places I've not visited yet so not missing out anywhere on purpose) Other places I go can be a bit antisceptic but they are slowly listening and changing some of the promoters are young and newish to it all.) Others play safe but these places need time to get it right. Maybe they will. Hopefully they will.

Its the same with the 100club. I've talked to lots of first timers at the 100club recently, soulies & not so much soulies. Ok a few are arsy but most of them are amazed. They've never experienced anything like it, they need a bit of coaching in etiquette but they get it in a strange way...and nevermind that I can find some of the 100club regulars can be arsy sometimes. A lot of the 'new bloods' as you call them are really nice people-don't judge a book too much by it's cover. They might not have the history/baggage that older members have but it doesn't mean it's not a special night out for them. A lot of them are beaming when they leave but somehow don't find their way back on a regular basis because they haven't come to this through the 'normal' channels of family or friends but usually just out of being inquisitive.

I remember taking quite a few young mods under my wing so to speak in the 80's. Talking to them and helping them feel comfortable and understand it all. You can tell who feels uncomfortable by just keeping your eyes open-ask Mark Freeman. There's been problems with arrogant buggers who don't quite get it but they're soon sorted as they would be anywhere. There's never really been much of an old guard attitude at the 100club more than other places I think people have been left to enjoy themselves and the music. I would hate that to stop. I remember when Kirsty was cheerleading and go go dancing and who remembers the fairy/angels???? An.d god Ion in full flow on the dancefloor would scare anyone.

One thing I'd like to see is more passion down there-more friendliness (which is returning). I've been saying if this can happen it'd be like Burnley taking the Stretford end.

I hope the next one is a big party. The 100club deserves better.

Best again Kev

Social source share

Hi Ady

I'm probably the wrong person to comment as i only visit every 10 years rolleyes.gif

But i was quite astounded at the list earlier in the thread of London based nights.

Surely in the short term it would be sensible to visit all of these and drum up contacts and support. Even get ticket sellers sorted with a discount for buying early?

Will pop down in the summer if my liver can take it yes.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

And as for breaking new records? The 100 club is not the only place that can happen.

some places ought to have all their records broken not just the new ones...lol:laugh::laugh::laugh: only joking

Social source share

Also Ady I meant to add ..I used to love those 70's flyers and posters advertising what sounds were being played , you know , something along the lines of " come along and hear these 100 club exclusives etc etc ...that'd get a few pulses racing I'm sure ......Cheers ,Eddie

Good point Eddie. I used to love those ads 'cos you'd get to know what sounds were being played around the country and who had exclusives etc. I don't know why clubs stopped doing that but I wish they'd bring it back. The 100 Club could have claimed the first UK club plays on tons of stuff. At least two brand new vintage sounds were aired last Saturday alone plus with Butch there the records should be a major part of the draw shouldn't they?

Great idea plus it would actually help break stuff as well because of the curiosity factor. The listing of records that would be played was fundamental to us travelling hundreds of miles every weekend in the 70's so maybe it's time to revive that as a marketing tool.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Good point Eddie. I used to love those ads 'cos you'd get to know what sounds were being played around the country and who had exclusives etc. I don't know why clubs stopped doing that but I wish they'd bring it back. The 100 Club could have claimed the first UK club plays on tons of stuff. At least two brand new vintage sounds were aired last Saturday alone plus with Butch there the records should be a major part of the draw shouldn't they?

Great idea plus it would actually help break stuff as well because of the curiosity factor. The listing of records that would be played was fundamental to us travelling hundreds of miles every weekend in the 70's so maybe it's time to revive that as a marketing tool.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Glad you like the idea Ian , that's what it's all about surely ..travelling mad distances to hear records you can't hear anywhere else with like minded people ....Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Dante

Can't really say much, as I've never been (a couple of miles too far).

Just wanted to point out this: 34 users reading this topic right now and four pages in two days. That must mean something. Few topics have been more popular and had more opinions than this one.

It probably need some changes, and I'm not the one to say wich ones. But this is just a token of the appreciation you have within the soul community.

Just hope you'll pull through this so hopefully young uns like me will have an opportunity to go up there!

Social source share

Oh it's really sad to read this.

I think you will find most of the larger to run or more expensive places are struggling at the moment.

People are finding it hard and money is tight. Trouble with the 100 is its quite an expensive trip for northerners now to come and support you. Petrol is not cheap.

Lea Hall was very low in numbers the other week , and I have heard the Skegness weekender was the same so its not just your venue.

You always get people turn up in droves for "one off events" so I wouldn't bring the turn out for Stafford into the trying to understand why one event can bring in a large mass against another regular reputable event bringing in less.

Being honest Ady I am put off coming to London after the I think it was "Crossfire" event where the Flirtations were on .

I found the numbers inside this event very oppresive , to the point of being dangerous if a fire broke out , too many people and drinks spilt everywhere and people bumping into you and not having the grace to say sorry , sort of put me off Central London events where the outside public can attend on mass.

So comparing this event as a succcess is also wrong compared to the 100 in my view. I travelled many miles for that event and lasted all of 1 hour. I thought the sound system that night was crap too lol lol you said be honest. Win some lose some eh.

Maybe less is more ? Make them hungry for it , put 4 on a year , make it members only , and enjoy a little time off imbetween.

The music is superb second to none so no change is required there. You may not have success in numbers but your reputation to deliver the best in soul is still up there.

OK I'll try and reply to each post where a new comment is made that is relevant. I won't repeat myself so if I've already acknowledged a point that'll have to do otherwise I'll be on here a week. All the comments really are appreciated thanks

Carms

Points taken about petrol (I don't drive much), other events and a general downturn in economy and the soul world.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Crossfire, I wasn't too wild about a lot of it but nearly everyone else thought it was brilliant. we cleared up a lot of the problems but of course you'd gone by then. Sorry.

Mind you it's not directly related to the 100 Club they are VERY different dos so not that relevant to this possibly.

Social source share

Talc,Memberships,piss heads,new times,over zellous bouncers,no backdoor man :laugh:

Best Ken (stuck in Rugby)

PS as Carms says,petrol prices.............westminster council are in there wisdom raising the free parking times to 11pm so arriving before 11 a no go £6 per hour parking or is it more now,its gonna be worser then less hours,be emty at the start etc.

Talc, hours and extra bouncers are down to the management, I can't do owt about that. I don't think the bouncers are over-zealous in general maybe very occasionally. One or two of them are actually top notch.

Westminster aren't changing the parking times yet and when Camden tried it the High Court ruled it illegal. Camden is still free and it's only 100 yards away.

We would still have had a back door man if he'd taken his security staff course and got a badge!

Piss heads are annoying but not that common and quite often they are members anyway. i had to chuck a lad out on Saturday and he's been going over the years. Similarly the bloke who kicked Mark up the arse was with a couple of really nice members and he was probably a member too.

There was a great couple who danced all night on Saturday and chatted away to loads of soulies and really brightened the place up. i wouldn't want to deter them but how do I know if they're gonna be like that on the door? Once they've had a few inside they might have turned into idiots.

I do think we can be a lot stricter on the door though with people who are already pissed and I will defo do that. That bloke who ended up in a dress came down as meek as a lamb and then went into the bogs and changed into an idiot in a dress.

It's empty at the start even when its busy so maybe I'll lop an hour off at the commencement.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

I think, as mentioned money is tight for a lot of people (thats why I've missed a few in the past months) so that could be one reason. Also I think if it was every other month it would make it a bit more exciting and I would look forward to it a bit more.

My gut reaction is to do that but i can't until next year so in a way the next three will be a test drive to see if we can get people back. I agree with what Russ says about breaking records but if most people are only going occasionally it's gonna take just as long to break them anyway.

Social source share

Leave your posts up Ken.

I think maybe every other month and members only.

I've heard folk (mostly in the north) moan about the 100 Club dance floor, I could never really understand that because I thought it was okay. that's just one small point.

We can't turn the clocks back, the 1.30 till 8 era was a super special time for me and lots of others. Those hours leant themselves a bit better to nighter goers. Anyway as said can't turn the clocks back.

This thing with the folks off the street, well I can see that they would be needed with the overheads, but in a way it's robbing Pete to pay Paul. Soulies are fickle and pissed idiots on the dance floor can be cause for 'wont go there again'. I know there's been talk that some of these new faces enjoyed themselves and good luck to them. I don't agree that these people can be talked about as 'new blood' though, I find that a bit of an insult. Oxford St is one of the busiest in the metropolis and these people are opportunist late drinkers, I don't think many of them would mark it in their calendar for a return visit.

Bi-monthly and members only. Sort of a re-launch with some decent publicity and I'm sure soul folk would support en masse the want to keep the longest running nighter going.

The floor was very good this time, no talc and it seemed excellent to me when I actually swung a leg.The new bar manager Diane who's a game girl and very understanding of the scene, said they'd had to give it a special clean for some reason so I'll try and get it done every time.

Edited by ady croasdell
Social source share

Reading this has made me feel very guilty as I didn't go last Saturday, going up to the Preston Soul People night with Steve Guarnori. And I won't be at the May one as I'm up at Boomerang.

Prior to Saturday I'd been to each 100 Club allnighter this year, and had noticed with dismay the drop in the number of regulars. In my comments on the March all nighter I had a moan (gently I hope) about the non soul people there. I fully appreciate Ady's need to let them in, he needs their cash to keep the whole thing going. But it's a two edged sword, it does stop some people going. I don't think drinking on the dance floor is such an issue, generally if they're asked not to, they stop. But as someone who does enjoy dancing, the antics of some of them are extremely irritating. I don't appreciate people literally dancing into me; I'm an extremely good natured person at a soul night but on more than one occasion have felt like thumping the individual. Probably not a good idea as they are younger than me and would problably end up putting me in hospital, lol.

The dropping out of regulars is probably the most worrying thing. There are so many events on these days, I wonder how they fill them up as, let's face it, we are a tiny music scene, proved that you rarely go to a soul night where you don't know anyone. Carms has made a good point: fuel prices are affecting people, travelling is not cheap. If you don't book rail tickets well in advance they too are very expensive. If regulars have dropped out for specific reasons it might be good if people were honest, I know on Soul Source that if you criticise an event you are immediately slagged off. But honest criticism has to be accepted.

What I have noticed in the time I've been back on the soul scene is the number of people who have disappeared. When I started goiong out again there was the Capitol Soul Club at the Dome, These Old Shoes, Scenesville, Soul In The City and probably others that have slipped my mind. All of these have gone, and many of the people who went there don't seem to go to the places I attend. Obviously many may have moved out of the London area, or they may have travelled in, not so sure about attendees of TOS and Soul In The City, they were midweek events, not so easy if you have to travel in and then go home out to the sticks.

Sorry I've digressed. The music policy at the 100 Club is probably about right. There are classic oldies played, and you need some of them for dancers, you know where you are with them, no sudden changes in tempo, etc. Butch is always worth listening to, he seems to have so many different records to the norm; and leads the way on the rare soul scene. Often I have to hear his tunes a few times to appreciate them but he's got so many good tunes, and most importantly, he knows how to put them together. His funky stuff may not be to everyone's taste, but surely we can put with a few records that don't do it for us while waiting for something more to our taste. His Martha Jean Love cover up, That's The Way The Story Goes, is the best NS track I've heard for ages.

I've only heard Joel play a few times but have enjoyed his sets, and a lot of his records are unfamiliar to me. I like to hear stuff I know to dance to, but also want to hear new tunes as well. Is Keith coming back? His sets were always good, and I'm sure he is missed by many. I've particularly enjoyed Mick Smith's early sets, some nice medium tempo and beat ballads. And Ady always plays interesting sets, some tunes I know and some I don't.

The guests seem okay to me, I would personally like to see Arthur Fenn and Soul Sam among others guesting there. Perhaps Andy Dyson and Cliff Steele too (you can tell I like Lifeline and it's type of soul music). I'm sure there are plenty of other DJs that would be popular, mind has gone blank as I type this.

The music policy generally is mainly sixties with some seventies being played (mainly by Butch). Does it need to be expanded to include more of the latter and maybe more early eighties records? I'd like that, but no doubt others would vehemently disagree. One problem of the soul scene generally is that everything is pigeonholed, classic oldies, Crossover, Modern, R&B, rare, etc. You know what I mean. Many of us are extremely intolerant of anything we don't personally like. Not sure how you please everyone, perhaps less negativity.

If Ken is right and parking regulations are to be changed, this too will hit all night life in the West End. I'm lucky and can come up on public transport, but I wonder why councils make life so difficult for motorists on a Saturday night, but of course it's all about money isn't it?

To me the club has a sixties ambience, but the dance floor could do with sorting out, but that is down to the owners, not Ady. Sometimes the sound isn't that great either, but again it's the same at many soul nights.

I sincerely hope that the all nighters can continue, there isn't really that much going on in London, certainly not for the slightly rarer sounds. If you have to make it quarterly so be it, I'll be sorry but I'm only one individual. And I'm in a slightly different position to many as I'm on my own, don't have anyone else to consider if I want to go out. It must be difficult if you have family, and especially a partner not into the music. Hard to tell a non soul person that you're going out at 9 pm and you'll be back in the morning sometime after 7.30, not likely to go down that well.

I apologise for rambling on, I do get verbal diarrhoea when I'm at the keyboard, but I hope my comments are helpful. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Don't you dare feel guilty, you support us nearly all the time and it's great you're getting to see the big wide Northern world.

i feel we're playing quite a few 70s now and wouldn't want it to go much higher from a personal point of view, it would also alienate some of the mod element who have helped it survive for so long. I defo don't fancy much 80s. I think the sound has been much improved lately but somne DJs just turn it up too high, i think Mick Butch and I were all occasionally guilty of that on Saturday. That can probably be remedied by turning up the monitor.

Thanks Geoff

Ady

Social source share

Gotta admit, Ady - this thread [planned or not] has turned out to be a master-class in reverse marketing! I do believe only you could tap into the 'Wigan-lost' psyche/paranoia & turn the next 100 Club into a rammed event. Saying that, I don't think any other club in the country could manage such a positive response - let's hope they don't all begin to flood this forum with imitation threads.

Honestly though ..good on ya! You absolutely deserve all the love & support shown on here. We all know how damned hard you've worked throughout these many years thumbsup.gif

Edited by deeve
Social source share

Not much going on in London!!!!!!. There's loads of rare soul nights....

Va Va Voom

Boogaloo

Solid Hit Soul

Capones (Benfleet) Essex I know

Towerful Of Soul

The new Volcano Allnighter

RSG Hemel

Mind Yuh Business

Crystal Palace

Mousetrap

100 Club warm up gig.

Hard As Nails

Filthy Soul

Crossfire Allnighter

Madam Jojos

Bisley (surrey)

Ben Summers doo on Sundays

Smersh nights...

X Ray soul

Top 500 (Buffallo Bar) Islington

Theres a club in Hackney as well...name will come to me

This is all the old 100 Club's potential audience (apart from Bisley or Jojos).If these werent happening 100 Club would be full.How many of these have consistently packed nights apart from Solid Hit and Va Va Voom.All the customers are spread

and the anticipation of the next gig is gone.The 100 Club was unique but it has been copied in soul night form.Everyone wants a piece of the pie but there's not enough pie to go round so people cook their own and it aint Mr Kipling.

I havent even touched the surface of London and the surrounding areas plus there's weekenders/Mod doos/scooter doos/Foreign Soul weekenders/UK soul weekenders...the bubble has got to burst as the recession kicks in and maybe it will go back to a few allnighters in the UK again.

Thats just off the top of my head.There was a time when the 100 Club was the only place you could go and hear such a broad mix of music in the south, never mind the UK .It seems the wheel has gone full circle and I'm finding it hard to find a solid uptempo niter with new similar sounds!!. This was a time before everyone wanted to be a promoter and deejay (and that includes me!!) and a time before the proliferation of soul nights.The customers are spread very thin and at a lot of the above venues the template is based on the 100 Club.There wasn't the proliferation of soul nights and a lot of people take the easy option....let's check this club out ,never been before,we can have a few drinks and be off by two.What about the 100 Club?.No it will always be there.If these clubs were not there and the 100 Club was the only place to hear the music then the 100 Club would be packed, but that's democracy.People get older/more commitments/kids and lazier.The ambience of the place is unique, even with the bumpy dancefloor.The 6am finish doesn't help.It was bad enough at 8 getting transport home on a Sunday.Just my thoughts. Theres always been tourists at the 100 Club but most of them were into soul music and were on holiday/visiting.Used to be loads of German/Italian/Japanese as well.Even the ones that werent into the music were respectful.People will turn out for special events/ anniversaries/Cross fire (although a lot of people who would have been to x fire went to Stafford) but regular niter goers are getting thin on the ground because of soul nights.Never went to the original venue before the 100 Club...was it West Hampstead and always wondered what it was like.I've even been passing through a few times and thought about it.Is it still there ??. How about a night in there.I know Clarkey has other more important things in his life at the moment but I would love to hear him out again.Hope you pull through.........I keep thinking of clubs to add!!!

How about getting a dj from all of the above clubs and throwing a massive allnighter/dayer at the Rivoli in Brockley......

Using a different venue would be last resort when and if the 100 ever finishes or doesn't want us. When we did have to get out for a few months to Jacks London Bridge, the first night was brilliant with at least 400 in but then the second had about 120 and it never got busy again after what for me was one of the best nighters I'd been to. We can move the 6TS anywhere but its natural home is undoubtedly the 100 club.

Social source share

never been to the 100 club but its on my list of places to go , my mate yocky has told me about and says its a must do place,

so please think hard and long ady before doing anything drastic.

as been said on here ,expence , other local nites w/enders etc.

well london is a great tourist attraction ,so off the top of my bonce , hows about a capitol soul w/end based around the 100 club, am sure you or someone could organize reasonable accomodation and a package for a crackin w/ender , we have them at many coastal resorts and people readily travel to these events from all over the country so why not in central london, maybe the regular niter as run its course by all accounts this has been an outstanding event but have you have said things change so hows about looking at it from a different angle,

cheers b

Some sort of occasional weekender is worth considering but I'm not convinced it would work. however it wouldn't do any harm to see if we can get special room rates at a nearby hotel once in a while for the lazy buggers like me who like to crash out nearby ASAP once they've left the club (I used to do that when I DJed in M/C-wimp!)

Social source share

No other excuse from me apart from travelling costs, petrol etc. Have not been for many, many years, iconic nighter of our scene, great work adey keep it going please, you never know someone might invent a wood powered carlaugh.gif . Is there a big contingent from the london area itself? or are the crowd mostly travellers?hatsoff2.gif

Mainly Southern for the last dozen years the Northerners invaded more in the 80s when people were younger and more adventurous.

Social source share

I have not been for a while now but this is soon going to be rectified as a few of us are planning to go on mass.

The forward recce has already taken place, our Derek has been to the last two and his reports are favorable indeed!

As far as numbers dropping, Ady you have been there seen it and got the T-Shirt, you can listen to the doom and gloom merchants but I think Carms is spot on; we are in a recession that is effecting every one.

I beg of you, ride it out. If we loose this marvelous bastion of our beloved scene then like Wigan, Imber, The Mecca and many others it will be irreplaceable.

This recession will swing back up, there are green shoots of recovery (did I really say that?) but money is still a little tight.

There is talk of an uneasy rubbing of shoulders with the Soulies and the great unwashed but a punter is a punter and bums on seats keep a club open.

Ady the last thing you need is to let us internet warriors tell you how to run The 100 Club, you have already said that we are only 10% of the club?

I think it would be a mistake to start knee jerking and changing what has kept you there all of these years, your passion, your dedication and the stable you keep sets you far above the norm.

The Northernsoul Scene is now a victim of its numbers, there is far too much choice and far too many fly by night money men and we all know that this dilutes the crowd.

I predict that as the numbers thin, and I think they will if the writing on the wall is correct, I think many of the less established nighters will fall by the way side leaving a healthy "culled" herd that will again gladly travel.

For those Northernsoulies out there logging on and reading this, did you ever wish The Casino was still open? Do you ever yearn to visit? And to those who had never been and wished you had, well here is an opportunity to both visit a legendary allnighter and support a venue that deserves support.

I for one am getting off my bum and heading down to the smoke!

Long live Northernsoul Long live the 100 Club!

Callin all South Yorkshire Soul Sourcers, Tarn Lads n Donny Soldiers n da Rotherham posse, lets get it together and lookinto a mass visit. Barney can we get summit going on Team Tarn Talk, I'll sort our little crew out and I'll see if Spot, Martyn and some of the north east crew are up for it.

Lets look into trains from Sheffield, Donny and Barnsley, I don't mind taxi'ng people around our manor and if we want to go by car rather than train, I will take my car and I'll sort out parking in the smoke at one of the Army camps.

Lets do it, lets support those who have supported us!

that's the positive spirit I like Simon; cheered me up no end. i didn't say 10% though did I? I think SS is quite influential but t'internet is not the be all obviously.

Social source share

Bullshit !!,unless you like being danced on or your drink drunk by someone else beer all over yer footware..............oh how polite angry.gif and no i dont want a drink so fukc off i wanna dance.

These are occasional incidents over the past two or three years, if they happened to you its obviously a major pain but there are plenty of opposite examples of good outsiders too. We've sorted the beer on the floor very well recently. Well the over-zealous bouncers did.

Social source share

Lets not piss arse about, the 100 Club is legendary, you change a thing before I can get back down dem stairs I'm gonna be mighty pissed off, nothing wrong with anything about the place, dont change f*ck all, its a blip & if you can stand it financially it'll pick up, start messing with it & that will really mess thingd up..........the 100 Club is the 100 Club, those that know, know..........they'll all claim to have been when its closed, lazy f*ckers should get off thier arses, pool financial resources if requied & support the best Rare Soul venue in the world bar none..............if neccessary, if it makes a difference I'll set up a standing order to keep the place open & the same policy & I'm not joking...............Please, Please. Please keep at it mate, its the best music ever...........the contribution of the 100 Club to NS can never be replicated.......................

Get Richard Searling back down again & get Clarkie to make an odd guest appearance as special treats.............Like we had Scotland V England 100 Clubs, do the continental version London versus the rest of the world...............

If the scene allows the place to die, they should be ashamed & things really wont ever be the same again..............

Good luck Ady, working away right now, but as soon as I'm back. I'll be down them stairs again for sure, till then please dont change a thing.

Best Russ

Some good constructive suggestions there at least one of which is being worked on. Ta Russ

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The last time I went to the 100 club was March and yes it was quiet but the sounds were as good as I'd ever heard (admittedly I do like more funkier numbers).

Strangely enough beforehand me and my mate Geoff went to a soul nite less than half a mile away, Soul on the Square in Holborn (Red Lion Square), there were 102 thru the door and it started at 8 and finished at 2 but there hardly seemed to be any follow through onto the 100 club, I was surprised to say the least since it is only a brisk 5 minutes walk away !!! The music was classic sixties northern oldies ! The punters were there, fans of the music, maybe 2 0'clock was enough for them !? Go figure ! I mean you couldnt get any closer, even Kate Sharkey used to live further away !!!

Social source share

Concept of ops;

Go on the train

If this is a cheaper option we can train down there, go a bit earlier and have a look around? Loads of free stuff The Doctor Who exhibition, The Tower, North Pier, The Pleasure Beach and The Golden Mile, loads of stuff to see!

Car:

As I said I don't mind taking my car, a few cars and a load of people. Park well before the congestion charge zone and tube it in, arrive early and have a look around London to see Times Square, Statue of Liberty, and the Pizza hut.

Forget about coaches 118 unless the Sheffield bus to London is worth a look? I'll find out and by me finding I mean I will get our lass to find out, she is a ninja at finding bargains!

Ady get the dates up on here please

May 22nd

July 3rd

Aug 14th

Sept 18th - Anniversary - ticket only event

Oct 30th

Dec 11th

2010 Christmas Party - Thurs. 23rd December, 9pm-2am

There you go bro!

Social source share

Actually this is a good idea, if the right place could be found in a convenient location. But are there any places open at 6 am apart from McDonalds. I understand the problems of hanging around for a couple of hours after the finish.

I'm sure that three or four years ago there used to be sessions around lunchtime at Filthy McNastys, or have I got that wrong?

I remember the Soul Cafe down the far end of Portobello Road used to be open early Sunday after the niters, only lasted a while but fun times....

Social source share

Don't you dare feel guilty, you support us nearly all the time and it's great you're getting to see the big wide Northern world.

i feel we're playing quite a few 70s now and wouldn't want it to go much higher from a personal point of view, it would also alienate some of the mod element who have helped it survive for so long. I defo don't fancy much 80s. I think the sound has been much improved lately but somne DJs just turn it up too high, i think Mick Butch and I were all occasionally guilty of that on Saturday. That can probably be remedied by turning up the monitor.

Thanks Geoff

Ady

yep, and ask your PA supplier to fit a compressor / limiter so that even if you get all excited and turn it up on the mixer, it won't get any louder out on the floor. Cheap and easy fix.

Social source share

As I said I don't mind taking my car, a few cars and a load of people. Park well before the congestion charge zone and tube it in, arrive early and have a look around London to see Times Square, Statue of Liberty, and the Pizza hut.

Does the congestion zone not count on evenings and sundays?

No, nor Saturdays

Social source share

I remember the Soul Cafe down the far end of Portobello Road used to be open early Sunday after the niters, only lasted a while but fun times....

the new times were a bit inconvenient for me even living in London due to the fact no Underground starts for a while and buses are more sparse from 6-7. Luckily I've found the best place to hang out: Balans on Old Compton Street. Open all night and serve brilliant food and frozen cappuccinos! If that isn't a great post-nighter chill out place, i don't know what is!

I actually had a great time last time, thought the floor was pretty decent and much better than I remembered. Also think the addition of Joel is a fantastic choice as he has a fantastic ear for good new obscurities and underplayed oldies.

I could use a little more 70s though, but I know most people aren't fans of that.

I do agree though that bi-monthly is better, but to be honest I don't really think there is much competition from other clubs in London. I live here and spend most of my time going up north as 100 club is the only nighter in London to play rarities and biggies (love va va voom, but I'm talking about all-nighters). When I go to a nighter I don't particularly want to hear records I own at home and that's why I've always gone to 100 club in London and what sets it apart. Having a good guest selection of people like tony smith, marco santucci, steve cato, etc and other people who focus more on newies and obscurities would give the club a bit more of an 'edge' to counter the sounds of mick smith and others.

anyways, to be honest i don't even really need to say any of this cause i think the club is perfect as it is. All that is needed is good music and friendly faces which are always present

Social source share

A lot has been said on here about how to attract soulies into London, but I think it's important not to lose sight of the fact that one of the great successes of the 100 Club over the years has been that's it's somehow managed to be attractive to both travelling soulies and to younger, London-based folk from the periphery of the soul scene (of which I was once one). Somehow it needs to reconnect with both, but I would hope not with one at the expense of the other.

I took a friend down this year. She'd never been. And to me she's the kind of person that the club should appeal to. She's young and full of energy, isn't interested in following the crowd, passionate about music - especially soul music - and has a genuine interest in northern soul. I had raved about the place, so she came along, but she won't be coming back. Obviously I was curious to know why. Firstly, she said that she had been made to feel excluded and unwelcome. I was amazed at this, but it goes to show that we need to be careful about confusing the twats with new, genuine people. Secondly she said something about it being full of sad old men. Hmm. I didn't think that that was the case, but she said it. Certainly nobody could have made such a comment a while back (of everywhere else on the soul scene, yes, but not the 100 Club!) When I walked in there as a youngster for the first time, I was blown away - it was clearly a happening place! It would be easy to dismiss her comment as superficial, but atmosphere and appearances are important if new, young people are going to come, and surely we can't rely solely on an aging, travelling (now less travelling) crowd. (This thread is full of people apologising for growing up!) Again, no easy answers, but I would say promoting to open-minded young people on the mod scene and beyond is no less important than wondering whether Mr and Mrs X are going to make it down from Derby. The mod scene might have changed, as has been suggested, but northern soul influences seem to be seeping into new music as never before. A wider diversity of sounds perhaps, and a more youthful and varied DJ presence. (Is three old farts each time one two many?)

Musically, I think that soulful content isn't always paramount in the DJs' quest for new sounds. I'm one of the ones that wants to hear new records, and that's one of the reasons I've been a regular at the club, but as long as it's soulful. New, less loyal and dedicated punters are less tolerant when it isn't. And if it's the same tempo hour after hour, the good stuff easily gets lost. And as for the venue and location... for Londoners, perfect!

Hi Ben, hope you are well...:yes:

You know I am getting a little fed up with the 'sad old men' comments that are starting to proliferate in so many debates regarding Northern Soul.

In the last few months I have had several conversations wherein people make remarks such as 'a load of fat, bald blokes dancing etc, etc....'

These inevitably come inside the never ending discussions regarding the future of the scene and the importance of attracting new followers.

I'm bald and 50 myself and would certainly not be classed as skinny, as you well know. But I think we are in danger of alienating and insulting some of the scene's most passionate and loyal followers, i.e people who have been into this thing for 35 years plus, at the supposed expense of the eternal quest for 'new blood'. If people over 50 are still going they should be fookin celebrated not mocked. They are the true essence of this scene and every one of us was a dashing young blade once. A lot more dashing and cooler than a hell of a lot of the mass-media led/fed young people of today as well. Yes, I am one of those who is proud of my generation and the scene's which we spawned and it's pissing me off that people take pots at guys who love Soul Music and refuse to grow old gracefully.

What are the fat, bald guys supposed to do? Ban themselves from attending clubs? Well the scene will most certainly die out a lot quicker then, that's for sure.

There is something else worth remembering BEN. There is a thread elsewhere currently, discussing the new slew of FAME 'discoveries' which are about to make their presence known on the scene. Clearly a lot of people are dying to hear them and it is a good while since some new records were anticipated with such seeming relish. Me included and of course, I imagine yourself too.

Have you met the young 28 year old geezers who hunted them down?

No, of course not and you won't either. Good job this scene still has people in their 50s and I believe early 60s who still have the passion, knowledge and commitment to spend their lives unearthing the still hidden, unreleased gems of Black America in the 60s and 70s. If young people who come into places like the 100 Club are not struck by the fact that they have discovered a music scene to which people have dedicated their whole lives, then they are never going to be truly passionate about the Rare Soul Scene, in the most desired of senses. This is not a fashion parade. It's not a pulling Palace, it's a scene dedicated to celebrating the best popular music ever committed to vinyl and the type of young people who arrive at the 100 Club should by definition, be beyond the 'norm' anyway. If they are not, what the hell are they ever going to make of Northern Soul? If they are put off the genre and dismiss the scene after one visit to a less than top notch 100 Club night, are you really trying to tell me that's the fault of the guys who have been in love with this music for decades. The Guys who sartorially and physically, don't quite measure up to somebody's immature and self-ordained perception of post-post-post-post modernist 'cool'. Do me a favour!

Rant over, all the best Mate.

RICHthumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

The last time I went to the 100 club was March and yes it was quiet but the sounds were as good as I'd ever heard (admittedly I do like more funkier numbers).

Strangely enough beforehand me and my mate Geoff went to a soul nite less than half a mile away, Soul on the Square in Holborn (Red Lion Square), there were 102 thru the door and it started at 8 and finished at 2 but there hardly seemed to be any follow through onto the 100 club, I was surprised to say the least since it is only a brisk 5 minutes walk away !!! The music was classic sixties northern oldies ! The punters were there, fans of the music, maybe 2 0'clock was enough for them !? Go figure ! I mean you couldnt get any closer, even Kate Sharkey used to live further away !!!

Why would people want to run that on the same night as the 100 Club? Perhaps they don't understand the word 'respect'. How the hell are you supposed to save a legendary club if people put on opposing nights minutes away? No, it's not a Niter but people pace their drinking consumption differently if they go to a Soul Night and yes, most of them will probably be bolloxed at 2 am and unlikely to go on to the Club. It's not 1975. Perhaps the Promoters don't care. Perhaps they think their scene is more important.

To repeat...TOO MANY NORTHERN SOUL EVENTS - EVEN IN THE SOUTH.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Why would people want to run that on the same night as the 100 Club? Perhaps they don't understand the word 'respect'. How the hell are you supposed to save a legendary club if people put on opposing nights minutes away? No, it's not a Niter but people pace their drinking consumption differently if they go to a Soul Night and yes, most of them will probably be bolloxed at 2 am and unlikely to go on to the Club. It's not 1975. Perhaps the Promoters don't care. Perhaps they think their scene is more important.

To repeat...TOO MANY NORTHERN SOUL EVENTS - EVEN IN THE SOUTH.thumbsup.gif

EXACTLY !!! It's nice to have a choice but c'mon, to be spoilt by the sheer volume of choices in the U.K. can only result in a lot of the venues disappearing up their own backsides. We can all go out for burgers every weekend but a bit of steak every now and again is nice.' Cashing in ' seems to be the order of the day. Let's hope Ady can keep it all going, he deserves it. After all HE has been around the longest, well the 100 club has. Tony T Bone. Spreading the Faith down under.

Social source share

Guest southside45

Hi Ady,

Haven't had time to read through every post and i'm pretty sure my points would of been picked up on by others but I need to add my thoughts. Almost feels like I have no choice actually!

The 'crisis' the 6T's is feeling at the moment is not really any different to most nights being put on by promoters up and down the country right now and has been for some time I feel.

The fact that the 6T's has grown to such an iconic status for many (especially in the south) has probably been the reason why after all these years since you and Randy started everything support has always been so strong and it's only now the strain has started to be felt.

That is something to be proud of my man !

Your dedication and enthusiasm along with Randy's built solid foundation's for people in the south to have our own 'Wigan' right in the middle of central London. Bizarre in some ways but definately welcomed by thousand's with me being one of them for sure !

Obviously with so many 'nites' being put on at different venues at the same time people are having more choice than back in 70's and 80's too and consequently this will 'spread' the customer base.

I believe also as we all edge closer to a 'riper old age' it may be more appealing going to something closer to home that's not such a task to get home from.

I found over the years that the waiting around and train journey home after a niter at the 6T's seems to be getting harder and harder to do as I edge closer to 50. Mind you...I'm also more knackered after than I was in me younger days but I no longer have amphetamine tendancies so this is probably why!

People's disposable income has also dwindled for your average working man / woman and London prices can have a deciding factor in their choice of their Saturday night entertainment out. Not only the price of a pint or G&T but the travelling cost's involved too.

Aside from what I've mentioned there may be another contributing factor...

As far as I can tell there hasn't been a great deal in refurbishment at the 100 Club over the years. Not in your hands I know !

But .......

from a time when I was a 16 year old and not caring what condition the dancefloor, seating, smell or state of the bogs were, I and others of my generation I know have become a bit more concerned and choosey as to where we decide to spend our money and evening's.

Sounds like i'm being snobby now but I really have had enough of walking into a venue's toilets being overwhelmed by the stench and wadeing through piss on the floor.

I'm 42 now and really don't enjoying experiancing that anymore. Getting old many may say? Lol.

Dancefloor's also are an issue I have nowdays. The main reason I enjoyed the scene so much is because I like to dance. A LOT !

Dodgy worn and uneven floors, apart from the safety issue's, are really not enjoyable to dance on anymore for me and others I know.

Perhaps I sound like I'm being too picky but I think as a paying customer every one should expect to have these basic needs met and have the best there is available to them. We've all been paying our dues long enough now eh? Not much to expect is it?

Anyway.... I hope some points I've raised could contribute something towards the answer's you seek to regain a former glory. I've loved the 6T's for years like many others and would definately not wish to see the doors close. It's too important for us in the south.

I'm pretty sure that numbers will return soon especially after this thread and support will be shown by a few old faces gracing the 100 Club once again.

Remember one of our motto's mate, KEEP THE FAITH !

All the best

Eddie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Ady,

..Dancefloor's also are an issue I have nowdays. The main reason I enjoyed the scene so much is because I like to dance. A LOT !

Dodgy worn and uneven floors, apart from the safety issue's, are really not enjoyable to dance on anymore for me and others I know.

Perhaps I sound like I'm being too picky but I think as a paying customer every one should expect to have these basic needs met and have the best there is available to them. We've all been paying our dues long enough now eh? Not much to expect is it?..

Eddie thumbsup.gif

Good points - it does feel that club owners over here [not you Ady but rather the person/s who own the 100 club] generally tend not to invest money back into the spaces they run & this nonchalant attitude toward the punters gets transferred back into the atmosphere of the clubs themselves! I know I bang on about NY sometimes but hey, that's what I know - @least over there the vast majority of owners tend to put some of their profits back into the building & sound system. If they don't, the place closes pretty sharpish - whether through loss of revenue or if the Fire Dept. closes them down. I really don't think it's too much to ask & as Eddie says, "We've all been paying our dues long enough".

About time the vast majority of club owners over here cottoned on.. :angry:

Edited by deeve
Social source share

OK I'll try and reply to each post where a new comment is made that is relevant. I won't repeat myself so if I've already acknowledged a point that'll have to do otherwise I'll be on here a week. All the comments really are appreciated thanks

Carms

Points taken about petrol (I don't drive much), other events and a general downturn in economy and the soul world.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Crossfire, I wasn't too wild about a lot of it but nearly everyone else thought it was brilliant. we cleared up a lot of the problems but of course you'd gone by then. Sorry.

Mind you it's not directly related to the 100 Club they are VERY different dos so not that relevant to this possibly.

My goodness you are growing to grow a beard attempting to answer every post ! I am glad you saw where I was coming from on Crossfire... My point is its no comparison to the 100 , your original post indicated that you wre encouraged by the crossfire attendance I think ... well thats how it came over to me .

The 100 is special , don't change a thing other than how frequent you tempt us through it's doors. It's human nature if something is readily available , on a plate like , people will take it for granted. How do you think us woman always get what we want eventually :wink:

Edited by Carms
Social source share

I've read quite a bit on this thread now and the dancefloor keeps coming up at the 100.(i mentioned it earlier as well).Sticky,dodgy and uneven it may be,but i've seen it packed and heaving.Pick your space and stay with it i say !!!.Get to know the floor,more intimate?

H&S ? - any dancer worth their salt can dance on a clothes line in a gale.We don't want all soul venues going the way of the pubs do we?.Format the same etc etc......Viva le difference..!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Having read through the thread it seems to me that the reasons given for falling attendance is complacency, and I'm as guilty of that as anyone. We can all bang on about the venue - lack of seating, dancefloor, entry policy, travel, the magnitude of choice of alternative venues, and the economy, but when all considered (apart from the entry policy) these considerations and gripes have always been around and feel to me to be more like excuses than valid reasons.

It's ironic that the fact that the 100 Club has been around for so long that it fuels the expectation that it will always be around, and if you don't get to the next all-nighter, you can always go to the one following. I've been using this excuse for so long now that I can't now recall the last time I went.

I'm with Eddie on playlists, I think they provide an understanding not only of the sounds you're likely to hear, but also make a great statement on the music policy. I know it works both ways, and I should probably make an effort to find out, but I have no idea what you, Mick or Joel play currently.

The club has always had a great reputation for playing and breaking fresh music, and the size of the venue lends itself to chancing new plays, and it would be a great shame to lose a forward thinking club, there's not nearly enough of them.

I think your kick up the arse message has hit home and if we want the 100 Club to be around then we have to give it support.

See you on the 22nd...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I've read quite a bit on this thread now and the dancefloor keeps coming up at the 100.(i mentioned it earlier as well).Sticky,dodgy and uneven it may be,but i've seen it packed and heaving.Pick your space and stay with it i say !!!.Get to know the floor,more intimate?

H&S ? - any dancer worth their salt can dance on a clothes line in a gale.We don't want all soul venues going the way of the pubs do we?.Format the same etc etc......Viva le difference..!!!!!!!!

Damn right, just avoid the space infront of the stage next to the center pillar with the raised manhole cover and a few various potholes dotted about and you will be fine. The area known as "mod corner" normally misses the spilt drinks that tend to be near the door and the sound booth, probably because its a bit of a thoroughfare.

Social source share

I used to enjoy the 100 club in the 80s :hatsoff2:

But my friends & myself found that it changed & was not playing music for the regulars............................this is just my opinion.......................but we always thought it's best to keep your regulars happy, as folk just off the street would come & go :lol:

So we ended up going to Capital Soul & Scenesville

Debbie x

Social source share

promotion is key, got to keep at it..

We can sometimes sit back and not put in the effort required...

A few key people to help with promotions Ady....

flyers... have a few key people round the country who will take flyers on a regular basis, people who do go out to events....London/ South... West/Wales..... East Midlands.. West Midlands.... North West... Yorkshire.. North East/Scotland... Just a few flyers in the post to these people will help...

I will put out the flyers around Manchester/ North West if you want to drop some in the post... I am sure you will have punters from other places soon???

I am due a visit at some point this year, will look at getting a few along there but som much going on oooooooooop North too, London/ trains/ petrol aint cheap, the feedback with regards to pissheads/ non soul crowd does have an impact when thinking how much its gonna cost and how much it takes out of you, folk need to know its gonna be a special event, we are older and not as impulsive as we once were..

The faceboook page will also help... It keeps people in touch each day as to whats going on...

Also choice of guest djs will have am impact... So many djs who play so often, its nothing special to see them play at certain events, you can catch them anytime/ anyplace...

Get sexy and have more international guests.. :hatsoff2:

Sweden.. Ireland... Spain....USA... ETC ETC.. plus many quality djs ooooooooop North that could grace to old place and certain djs could bring a bit of a crowd too if its a one off.. Look at the Jumpin Joan night, around 40 down from the North to support her... Just keep it fresh and seek out fresh djs.... Its easy to see who is doing what on soul source events/ lookback etc etc...

Social source share

Guest Simon

promotion is key, got to keep at it..

We can sometimes sit back and not put in the effort required...

A few key people to help with promotions Ady....

flyers... have a few key people round the country who will take flyers on a regular basis, people who do go out to events....London/ South... West/Wales..... East Midlands.. West Midlands.... North West... Yorkshire.. North East/Scotland... Just a few flyers in the post to these people will help...

I will put out the flyers around Manchester/ North West if you want to drop some in the post... I am sure you will have punters from other places soon???

I am due a visit at some point this year, will look at getting a few along there but som much going on oooooooooop North too, London/ trains/ petrol aint cheap, the feedback with regards to pissheads/ non soul crowd does have an impact when thinking how much its gonna cost and how much it takes out of you, folk need to know its gonna be a special event, we are older and not as impulsive as we once were..

The faceboook page will also help... It keeps people in touch each day as to whats going on...

Also choice of guest djs will have am impact... So many djs who play so often, its nothing special to see them play at certain events, you can catch them anytime/ anyplace...

Get sexy and have more international guests.. :hatsoff2:

Sweden.. Ireland... Spain....USA... ETC ETC.. plus many quality djs ooooooooop North that could grace to old place and certain djs could bring a bit of a crowd too if its a one off.. Look at the Jumpin Joan night, around 40 down from the North to support her... Just keep it fresh and seek out fresh djs.... Its easy to see who is doing what on soul source events/ lookback etc etc...

thumbsup.gif

Spot on Stevie as always!

Social source share