Four Tracks - Are These The Same Group ?

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

no, the note group is from atlanta, the mandingo group is from toledo, no connection. i think there's a photo of the note group on the numero group tragar comp, I don't remember (they did get a photo though).

The Note group is from birmingham Alabama Bob A. not Atlanta.

Yes there is a photo in the liner notes of the Tragar / Note comp.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

The Note group is from birmingham Alabama Bob A. not Atlanta.

Yes there is a photo in the liner notes of the Tragar / Note comp.

Steve

You know,i always just assumed they were the same group because of the name without really even thinking about it. If the Note group were from Alabama then it would suggest a different group as Boba says.

However,unless someone can categorically confirm they were not the same groups we should perhaps keep an open mind on it. I can well remember back in the 80`s the common perception among collectors was that the Masqueraders on La Beat,etc were a different group to the Masquaders on SoulTown because of the fact they were from such wildly different areas, but it turned out the group just moved around...........who`s to say that the Four Tracks group didnt migrate Southwards due to the downturn of Detroit`s industry or something. Maybe they were originally from Alabama anyway ? Watching that programme on Detroit the other week was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

Just a thought lads,

Ivor

Social source share

You know,i always just assumed they were the same group because of the name without really even thinking about it. If the Note group were from Alabama then it would suggest a different group as Boba says.

However,unless someone can categorically confirm they were not the same groups we should perhaps keep an open mind on it. I can well remember back in the 80`s the common perception among collectors was that the Masqueraders on La Beat,etc were a different group to the Masquaders on SoulTown because of the fact they were from such wildly different areas, but it turned out the group just moved around...........who`s to say that the Four Tracks group didnt migrate Southwards due to the downturn of Detroit`s industry or something. Maybe they were originally from Alabama anyway ? Watching that programme on Detroit the other week was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

Just a thought lads,

Ivor

Just a thought Ivor - buy the Note / Tragar CD then you can read all about the Alabama group :rolleyes:

They came to Note from Sam Dees Moonsong set up. Line up Arthur Bailey, Ronnie Craig, James Dawson and Eddie Stovall.

The toledo group were a bunch of local teenagers as far as I recall. Think I've got their line up somewhere I'll try and dig it out

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Just a thought Ivor - buy the Note / Tragar CD then you can read all about the Alabama group thumbsup.gif

They came to Note from Sam Dees Moonsong set up. Line up Arthur Bailey, Ronnie Craig, James Dawson and Eddie Stovall.

The toledo group were a bunch of local teenagers as far as I recall. Think I've got their line up somewhere I'll try and dig it out

Steve

There you go then:laugh: . Obviously,i hadnt seen that Steve,thanks mate. I`ll just keep quiet in future then:smile:

Social source share

There you go thenlaugh.gif . Obviously,i hadnt seen that Steve,thanks mate. I`ll just keep quiet in future thensmile.gif

No probs Ivor. And don't you dare keep quiet!

As a general note I have found some of the CD liner notes to be invaluable in piecing together this rare soul thing. As well as things like the group harmony book.

:thumbsup:

Our generation is the custodian of this music, and so it's great that these things are being documented before anyone that remembers anything / anyone has pegged it and gone off to sing / produce / write in the sky.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I think most of us automatically assumed that when we heard releases from someone with the same name it`s the same person. I can remember being in a basement many years back ,somewhere in the USA and getting excited upon finding an unknown Phil Perry 45. Then the disappointment of hearing a country and western singer !!:rolleyes:

With solo artists it`s quite easy in most cases to tell . Examples being George Jackson and Rosie/Rosey Grier.

It gets more difficult with groups, but thanks to available information we now know that there were more than one Topics, Blue Magic, Sly Slick and (the ) Wicked ,to name just a few.

I`m sure that there are still one or two surprises awaiting us as well

Mark H

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert