Guest Budgie

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 40
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest theoriginator56

Are there two mixes of this or something because I listened to it not 5 minutes ago and it's reggae!

pete. uk bread realease. uk horse. seen it sell for 300kwid. he is a white rasta? you brobly know this any way. best(kim)

Social source share

pete. uk bread realease. uk horse. seen it sell for 300kwid. he is a white rasta? you brobly know this any way. best(kim)

No, I do know it Kim, it's just I was playing it last night and it's not a soul record, it's a reggae record, just wasn't sure why it's sought after by the soul scene. What I mean is - it's actually got a reggae rhythm.

Social source share

No, I do know it Kim, it's just I was playing it last night and it's not a soul record, it's a reggae record, just wasn't sure why it's sought after by the soul scene. What I mean is - it's actually got a reggae rhythm.

WAS THINKIN EXACTLY THE SAME PETE, CANT THINK WHY SOULIES WOULD WANT THIS, THEYLL BE PLAYING LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH NEXT......COME TO THINK OF IT THATS A BLOODY GOOD RECORD.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, APRIL 25TH, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER. (DONCASTER MARKET, PERFECT FOR PARKING, DONCASTER MARKET).

Social source share

WAS THINKIN EXACTLY THE SAME PETE, CANT THINK WHY SOULIES WOULD WANT THIS, THEYLL BE PLAYING LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH NEXT......COME TO THINK OF IT THATS A BLOODY GOOD RECORD.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, APRIL 25TH, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER. (DONCASTER MARKET, PERFECT FOR PARKING, DONCASTER MARKET).

Glad it's not just me hearing things!

Social source share

Glad it's not just me hearing things!

silly prices for this lately..ohmy.gif ......see previous threads , DEFFO REGGAE NOT SOUL AND AS BRI SAID, A NICE TRACK. DES HAD MINE .................... a case of over demand which will become less in a few months , £60 to £100 TOPS I THINK , EZZIe

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

its the FAKE MEXICAN BIDDERS IMO WHO ARE BUMPING UP THE PRICE !thumbsup.gif

no mexican fakes on jms auction or is there? 2wks ago it went for 300 hundred or there abouts.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Are there two mixes of this or something because I listened to it not 5 minutes ago and it's reggae!

Heard this at Solid Hit Soul (fantastic set from Carl & Maria) - not a soul record by very soulful (rather hear this than some bland blue eyed pop shite LOL).

Can you tell us more about Del Davis Pete?

Social source share

no mexican fakes on jms auction or is there? 2wks ago it went for 300 hundred or there abouts.

not in a million years is it worth £300

average price around £90 but hey thats manships auctions for you and good luck too him if he can that much !

meanwhile on E bay a group of mexican bidders keep screwing up auctions especially on this one !

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

not in a million years is it worth £300

average price around £90 but hey thats manships auctions for you and good luck too him if he can that much !

meanwhile on E bay a group of mexican bidders keep screwing up auctions especially on this one !

yep mexican fake got my auction last sunday came inn with 4 seconds to go.angry.gif

Social source share

Pete ...i first heard this on a sub-city radio pod about 2yrs back and actually thought it had something about it...

I emailed the guy for more info has it was being covered up at the time......he told me it was ROBERT TANNERohmy.gif

Upshot was i used that phone service thing that listens to the record then tells you what it is .....it came up straight away laugh.gif

Found a copy on Bread ......payed £90 and sold it a week later for the same cos i was skintsad.gif

seen quite a few since on ebay,mainly on bread and even Perux website for £125 on Trojan ,which is actually the harder to find.

P.s ...in fairness i think it does sound much better when played out loud at a venue thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Spot on - A decent Soulful Reggae 45 !

I am quite shocked that a reggae tune is getting plays on the Soul scene.

But its all good IMO !

I heard a rumour that Del Davis has been playing guitar for Amy Winehouse in recent years.

Good record anyway.

Social source share

Pete ...i first heard this on a sub-city radio pod about 2yrs back and actually thought it had something about it...

I emailed the guy for more info has it was being covered up at the time......he told me it was ROBERT TANNER:ohmy:

Upshot was i used that phone service thing that listens to the record then tells you what it is .....it came up straight away :laugh:

Found a copy on Bread ......payed £90 and sold it a week later for the same cos i was skint:sad:

seen quite a few since on ebay,mainly on bread and even Perux website for £125 on Trojan ,which is actually the harder to find.

P.s ...in fairness i think it does sound much better when played out loud at a venue thumbsup.gif

The thing is - I've had this for 15 years, and never in a million years would I have said it would stand a chance of being played at a soul venue, it was just a mediocre track on a mediocre cd (Trojan compilation called reggae In Your jeggae), I'm still amazed!

Social source share

The thing is - I've had this for 15 years, and never in a million years would I have said it would stand a chance of being played at a soul venue, it was just a mediocre track on a mediocre cd (Trojan compilation called reggae In Your jeggae), I'm still amazed!

just imagine if let your yeah be yeah was rare eh pete. bugger it i might take it out and play it out over the weekend anyway

p.s did del come out on horse...................... never seen that one

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

I must admit to liking this a lot and for my shame I'm not a big Reggae fan, sorry :no:

I imagine as a Reggae record, connossieurs will think it's pants but the Soul content in his vocal and those 'Crossover style' horns driving it along make it acceptable for the Soul scene imho whistling

I've played this out a few times at venues and on't radio. Always goes down well!

I first heard it (on the Soul Scene) played by Niki & Nelly on Solar a while back!

It's the future 'Crossover Reggae' :D

I'll not put me hard hat on for Mr Smith's reply :boxing:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I must admit to liking this a lot and for my shame I'm not a big Reggae fan, sorry :no:

I imagine as a Reggae record, connossieurs will think it's pants but the Soul content in his vocal and those 'Crossover style' horns driving it along make it acceptable for the Soul scene imho whistling

I've played this out a few times at venues and on't radio. Always goes down well!

I first heard it (on the Soul Scene) played by Niki & Nelly on Solar a while back!

It's the future 'Crossover Reggae' :D

I'll not put me hard hat on for Mr Smith's reply :boxing:

Cheers

Steve

I've no problem with crossover reggae, but to 'most' people who are properly into reggae, this is a 2nd rate UK production, as are most things that came out of the UK 1971-74, whereas in Jamaica things were toughening up, in the UK they were adding large doses of saccharine to the sound by overusing strings. Consequently Trojan, and others, lost their customers, the UK Jamaicans didn't want to hear this candyflooss type of reggae so they stopped buying UK productions and only bought imported JA 'roots' tunes. Trojan's attempt to get everything into the Uk charts failed and they went bust, if they'd moved with the times they may have survived.

This is why most reggae fans/collectors have little to do with the music from this period.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've no problem with crossover reggae, but to 'most' people who are properly into reggae, this is a 2nd rate UK production,

2nd rate? You're being too kind, Pete. I'd say 5th or 6th rate at least.

I remember this from when it came out. Like most UK recorded reggae of the period, it was crap then and is still crap now.

Why would anyone want to play this out when they could be playing something by the likes of Derrick Harriott or Delroy Wilson instead?

Social source share

I remember this from when it came out. Like most UK recorded reggae of the period, it was crap then and is still crap now.

Why would anyone want to play this out when they could be playing something by the likes of Derrick Harriott or Delroy Wilson instead?

No idea...why not start playing "The Loser" at soul nights, they don't come much better than that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No idea...why not start playing "The Loser" at soul nights, they don't come much better than that.

I played 'The Loser' at 6Ts once, in the pre-100 Club days, right after The Artistics' 'I'm Gonna Miss You' (which of course it's sort of a version of).

Eddie Engel came up to me and demanded that I 'take this reggae shit off, we don't want to hear it at a soul night'. A heated exchange of words that almost escalated to violence followed, and we have never spoken in the ensuing 30 years...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I played 'The Loser' at 6Ts once, in the pre-100 Club days, right after The Artistics' 'I'm Gonna Miss You' (which of course it's sort of a version of).

Eddie Engel came up to me and demanded that I 'take this reggae shit off, we don't want to hear it at a soul night'. A heated exchange of words that almost escalated to violence followed, and we have never spoken in the ensuing 30 years...

Who's he?

Social source share

I've no problem with crossover reggae, but to 'most' people who are properly into reggae, this is a 2nd rate UK production, as are most things that came out of the UK 1971-74, whereas in Jamaica things were toughening up, in the UK they were adding large doses of saccharine to the sound by overusing strings. Consequently Trojan, and others, lost their customers, the UK Jamaicans didn't want to hear this candyflooss type of reggae so they stopped buying UK productions and only bought imported JA 'roots' tunes. Trojan's attempt to get everything into the Uk charts failed and they went bust, if they'd moved with the times they may have survived.

This is why most reggae fans/collectors have little to do with the music from this period.

Thanks for the reply Pete. I was right then, 'proper' Reggae fans (of which I am not one) do think it's pants for the reasons you outlined above and i do understand and agree with all you said thumbsup.gif

However, us 'non-Reggae connossieurs' are judging the record from a Soul Scene perspective and in this case, when this record is played in a Soul room, it does have a certain charm (imho). It's obviously NOT a good Reggae record and it isn't and can't be described as a good Soul record either BUT hey, that's the wierdness of the Soul scene in all it's glory :yes:

And for the avoidance of doubt, I don't like all the Reggae records that crossover to the dark side! Glenn Miller 'Where is the love' to me is AWESOME whilst I fookin hate the Pioneers 'Good friend James' but that's just me!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Who's he?

Old mate of Ian Clark's. If you look at my profile photo, he's the weaselly looking cove with the soup strainer 'tache on the far right of the pic...

Social source share

Thanks for the reply Pete. I was right then, 'proper' Reggae fans (of which I am not one) do think it's pants for the reasons you outlined above and i do understand and agree with all you said thumbsup.gif

However, us 'non-Reggae connossieurs' are judging the record from a Soul Scene perspective and in this case, when this record is played in a Soul room, it does have a certain charm (imho). It's obviously NOT a good Reggae record and it isn't and can't be described as a good Soul record either BUT hey, that's the wierdness of the Soul scene in all it's glory :yes:

And for the avoidance of doubt, I don't like all the Reggae records that crossover to the dark side! Glenn Miller 'Where is the love' to me is AWESOME whilst I fookin hate the Pioneers 'Good friend James' but that's just me!

Cheers

Steve

What about Lloyd Williams on Bamboo then Steve ....another reggae record that deffo crosses over to the soul scene

LLOYD WILLIAMS-IM IN LOVE WITH YOU-STUDIO ONE - or Dobby Dobson...

DOBBY DOBSON-WHAT LOVE HAS JOINED TOGETHER -

Social source share

How about playing a soul record for starters or is that an alien concept..Forgot reggae is the new beat ballad!! ........MATTHEW HOPKINS SAYS "WHO HAS BEEN PLAYING SOUL RECORDS AT SOUL EVENTS....IT WILL BE THE DUCKING STOOL FOR THEM"

post-18577-12719560556194.jpg

Social source share

Guest Budgie

I'll take that as a no then.

Of course I knew it was a reggee record and thought maybe 50-75ish, now I've found out he is also a white artist I have lost a bit of interest.

As for hearing it out did I say it was a soul night, and who said I wanted to play out.

Now going off to pack for our weekend in Germany where there are SIX completely different rooms of every type of Dance music

All the best

Pete

Social source share

Perhaps Soul rooms will stop playing Reggae records when Northern rooms stop playing Rock n Roll......

When RARE soul rooms stop playing rocknroll.Heard some Teds have started to crossover to the Rare Soul Scene.You might be seeing these lads at events soon.............or are they oldies northern Teds......

post-18577-1271957009981_thumb.jpg

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

both are studio one the bamboo uk version has strings both are in refosoul

The Lloyd Williams was issued on Studio 1 twice, with strings and without.

My claret and white Studio 1 45 (with strings) is pressed from a UK Bamboo stamper. Can't remember what's on the other side of mine, but I think the 'without strings' version must have Lord Tanamo's "Rainy Night In Georgia" on the other side as mine definitlet doen't have that...

Social source share

The Lloyd Williams was issued on Studio 1 twice, with strings and without.

My claret and white Studio 1 45 (with strings) is pressed from a UK Bamboo stamper. Can't remember what's on the other side of mine, but I think the 'without strings' version must have Lord Tanamo's "Rainy Night In Georgia" on the other side as mine definitlet doen't have that...

I saw a copy on Claret and white on ebay and seem to recall Jackie Mittoo on the flip?

The pale blue copies Lord Tanamo on the flipyes.gif

Dont think this is helping budgie much but then again we are bumpinmg him to the top ehthumbsup.gif

Another Reggae in my collection is Pioneers -treasure the moment

PIONEERS-ILL TREASURE THE MOMENTS -

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I saw a copy on Claret and white on ebay and seem to recall Jackie Mittoo on the flip?

The pale blue copies Lord Tanamo on the flip:yes:

Dont think this is helping budgie much but then again we are bumpinmg him to the top ehthumbsup.gif

Another Reggae in my collection is Pioneers -treasure the moment

PIONEERS-ILL TREASURE THE MOMENTS -

Yep, that's right - it is the great Donat Roy Mittoo himself, with the organ instrumental of Ken Boothe's rocksteady version of 'Come Tomorrow'.

Social source share

• 6 years later...

Source Advert