Curtis - How Can I Tell Her - Charm City - 1979

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Will swap my 7" with the boing boing for one without it.

If i had one i would sell and buy 1 with boings and another of the same value :D i would say £60 with boings Simhead mate.

Social source share

ive the 7" for sale 70-00

Yes but does it have 'boings' Keith? :laugh:

After Soul Bowl who had them first I got the first copies from Curtis back when (1981?), he sent me 2 x 45 with boings and 2 x 12". No copies without boings. he also sent a load of other Charm City stuff to (pretty much all of the rest - pics of She Devil etc.) and some blurb on his radio show he did. We featured him on the cover of Blackbeat (this was before he did "The Hardest Part" by the way). I always thought the 12s were the hardest simply because you don't see so many.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

yes.gifnot sure about bongs ,so heres a bit of it

bongs ? ----- or -----no.gif

70-00 anyone

Boings Keith

Although the non boing version is rarer and more sought after, I prefer the boings, infact pretty sure i got mine from you thinking about it.

Social source share

:yes:not sure about bongs ,so heres a bit of it

bongs ? ----- or -----:no:

70-00 anyone

Whats with the mp3 ? its in refo-soul.

CURTIS - HOW CAN I TELL HER -

Social source share

Right then let's clear this up.

The original 7" version with the bongs is issue no 1879 as in the pic in the first post & is going for around £50 to £70 give or take a quid or so.

Listen below

The second release without the boings is issue no 1932 & is totally worthless so please post it to me to save the embarassment of getting caught with a copy.

Listen below again.

The 12" version in the pic in the first post is also very in demand with the Boogie collectors & is currently changing hands for around £150 a copy.

Will that do?

Social source share

Right then let's clear this up.

The original 7" version without the bongs is issue no 1879 as in the pic in the first post & is going for around £50 to £70 give or take a quid or so.

Listen below

The second release without the boings is issue no 1932 & is totally worthless so please post it to me to save the embarassment of getting caught with a copy.

Listen below again.

The 12" version in the pic in the first post is also very in demand with the Boogie collectors & is currently changing hands for around £150 a copy.

Will that do?

you put `without`on both 7in`s mart:rolleyes:

dave

Social source share

Hmmg.gif Had never heard this without boings & on 1st hearing thought that I preferred it but listening again to the familiarity of the boings had me boinging around the kitchen at 1.30amnono.gif ...............BUT after 2.30 mins it's just so bloody boringshades.gif .......................who wants to buy mine ?

Steve G, Remember you getting the pile through didn't you review them all in Blackbeat ? I had one of the Curtis 7" off of you, pretty sure it was still a top sound at the time.........to think I paid the same price as my Ray Pollard on Shrineohmy.giflaugh.gif

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Hmmg.gif Had never heard this without boings & on 1st hearing thought that I preferred it but listening again to the familiarity of the boings had me boinging around the kitchen at 1.30amnono.gif ...............BUT after 2.30 mins it's just so bloody boringshades.gif .......................who wants to buy mine ?

Steve G, Remember you getting the pile through didn't you review them all in Blackbeat ? I had one of the Curtis 7" off of you, pretty sure it was still a top sound at the time.........to think I paid the same price as my Ray Pollard on Shrineohmy.giflaugh.gif

Yes that's right Dave Issue 14 Old Blackbeat - Curtis was on the cover. Also got 25 Larry Houstons soon after which I sold for £2.50 when it was going for a tenner :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

A good friend of mine and fellow collector Ivan Ward, sent me this story.

I have his permission to post it as he doesn't live at the address anymore.

We had heard Curtis played at some venue as a brand new US release. (Possibly Clifton Hall)

I saw the address for Charm City in a fanzine, so I wrote to the USA to inquire about the record.

This was in the days when most people did not deal direct to the States for records, and mainly bought from UK dealers.

After several weeks I received a complimentary copy of Curtis, but as they did not use any packing in the envelope and the record was unfortunately cracked!

But I did receive with it this great letter from Charm City records!

Ivan.

post-242-12725645978772_thumb.jpg

Social source share

We had heard Curtis played at some venue as a brand new US release. (Possibly Clifton Hall)

I saw the address for Charm City in a fanzine, so I wrote to the USA to inquire about the record.

This was in the days when most people did not deal direct to the States for records, and mainly bought from UK dealers.

After several weeks I received a complimentary copy of Curtis, but as they did not use any packing in the envelope and the record was unfortunately cracked!

Ivan.

Great story Ivan. Thanks for taking the time to post it up along with the letterthumbsup.gif

Still waiting for a 1932 'bongless' copy if anyone has one they would like to part with for a nominal fee.

Might even be willing to share the P&P fee'swhistling.gif

Social source share

Ivan.

i wrote also for a 12" which they sold me for $6 it cost them $4.44 to post it, bargain thumbsup.gif and i got a letter too!

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert