2010-04-29: Soulshakers Weekender Bamberg

What a brilliant weekender......best weekender on the planet for me and I am writing this in invisible ink because we're keeping it a secret.

Not too sure where to start but a few highlights for me were:

The company.......happy, friendly people loving the music and up for a great time and that is exactly what they got.

Great surroundings and a great venue.

All the DJ's

Ady Pountain, played a great set, from kick ass funk to upfront stuff like Gwen McCrae. Such a nice selection of music played from the knowledgeable one.

(Didn't that Bobby Bowens sound good played out loud again?)

Butch in the small room on Saturday night......well what can I say, the bloke was on fire. Marco and I looked on the deck at his 1st record, it was Gold - 'What About The Child' we just looked at each other and said 'OH YEAH' but wondered how he was gonna' follow that. No worries there record after record of pure quality.....

The crowning glory has to be on Sunday; from start to finish the place was just oozing with brilliant music.

There were tons of stand out moments over the weekend but one in particular was during the afternoon set when Dave Thorley played a certain record (I won't tell you which one it was because it might not seem like such a big deal) the place just erupted (volcano's in Iceland...pah!) Dave, that was a very special moment, I think everyone felt it.

Then Mr Santucci 'Happened', doing what he does best........yes he took over the decks.

The place was supposed to end I believe in the afternoon but we were having none of it. Marco was sent back to get his records and so was Lars they came back and proceeded to again spoil us with mighty, mighty sets. I think Marco did a 3 hour stint at the end and I think the only reason he stopped then was because he had played every single record in his box (one 3 times)

Elaine (my Elaine that is) was playing mother hen and said 'Right 2 more records and that's it)' so after another half an hour we finally behaved ourselves and staggered back to the hotel.

I just want to say that ALL the DJ's were great don't want to leave anyone out but these memories will stay with me for a very long time.

p.s. Malayka, a very special thankyou to you, I know we gave you a bit of grief but you were fucking tops ........Here's to next year! thumbsup.gif

• Replies 94
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Susanne & I would like to say a thanks to everyone attendig the weekender, the djs for their creativity & the diversity of music played. As mentioned before - we only organise the platform - the rest is done by you guys!

There were so many great moments - to mention a few;

Brad climbing over the roof of the HQ

Marco running after the escaped record in the main room

the soultrain on sunday,where we were joined by Flambo, the doormen

the decision taken by the Sunday location to dismiss the event which was planned sunday night and let us go on playing records ("Tatort faellt aus wegen SoulShakers")

Did you know that we managed to drink every location dry...?

Great music. Great party. Great people. Great fun.

Thank you.

Malayka & Susanne

Guest marco

WOW! Now that's what I call a weekender! I honestly can't remember a weekender's worth of better music ever. Malayka and Susanne - congratulations and thanks so much for inviting me. People have aready mentioned many of the great moments, musical and otherwise, that made the event special.

Musically I can't really say I heard a bad record played all weekend but I particularly enjoyed sets by young Markus on Saturday afternoon, Ady Pountain in both rooms, Lars at the main venue and on Sunday, 'Sam & Dave' on Sunday and of course Butch, again in both rooms, for Gold, The Notations, "Entertainers IV' and Eddie Daniels amongst so many.

Dave - thanks for the 45 and the Levy Davis. Val was right by the way - that was some moment on the Sunday afternoon mate!

One of the nicest things about the event was the chance to meet or get to know people I'd only ever met briefly before or heard about through others - Lars and Alex (what a small world this is Alex!), Thorsten, Brad, Adey, Marc, the Spanish crew again... all in the most beautiful of medeival teutonic settings.

This season's Spargeln weren't too shabby either.

Roll on next year! (providing I didn't disgrace myself too much for you to have me back, Malayka)

WOW! Now that's what I call a weekender! I honestly can't remember a weekender's worth of better music ever. Malayka and Susanne - congratulations and thanks so much for inviting me. People have aready mentioned many of the great moments, musical and otherwise, that made the event special.

Musically I can't really say I heard a bad record played all weekend but I particularly enjoyed sets by young Markus on Saturday afternoon, Ady Pountain in both rooms, Lars at the main venue and on Sunday, 'Sam & Dave' on Sunday and of course Butch, again in both rooms, for Gold, The Notations, "Entertainers IV' and Eddie Daniels amongst so many.

Dave - thanks for the 45 and the Levy Davis. Val was right by the way - that was some moment on the Sunday afternoon mate!

One of the nicest things about the event was the chance to meet or get to know people I'd only ever met briefly before or heard about through others - Lars and Alex (what a small world this is Alex!), Thorsten, Brad, Adey, Marc, the Spanish crew again... all in the most beautiful of medeival teutonic settings.

This season's Spargeln weren't too shabby either.

Roll on next year! (providing I didn't disgrace myself too much for you to have me back, Malayka)

Hi Mate

Was fun wasn't it. Don't thank me for the record, just play it out.:thumbup:

Thanks for running round for me before you set off, it was just like being in our teens again, the mad dash to get new records to play right up until the 11th hour. Had a taxi standing by in Gloucester to pop down my mums in case several other records turned up in the post on the thursday, so they could could meet Ady at the airport and be brought over, sadly they didn't arrive.

Like you thought Ady did a stand out job all weekend. Lars and Thorsten in the main room were magic, Marc Forrest had the modern room rockin' on friday, had to drag him off the decks:D. Malayka's sets closing the event both nights was masterly, Sam said it reminded him of the last hour at The Mecca, high praise. You wern't to shabby yourself in the main room and thanks for the fantastic job you did, when my body failed on sunday. As for Brad, he really does bring another dimension to the event, weather playing in the main room or the smaller one. AS everyone said Sam & Butch were at the top of their game, Gold, just a killer track. Butch walking away from his sets smiling, had to be good. Sam spent the whole of the nine hour trip back on the train reliving every moment and his infamous wants list has now increased by at least 30 titles.

I think everyone felt the saturday afternoon event was by far the best yet, the Spanish DJ's (David & Josep) and crowd were dynamite, Marcus, soulful knowledgeable beyond his years, Raphi playing a stlylish across the board set and Tol(l)bert & Kubernus showing why we love listening to them so much. Track of the afternoon, for me, Ann Sexton-Colour my world blue.

And lastly but not least the guys that played on thusday at the film event, Jan bless him was not well but he play a nice set and the film was one of the first intelligent attempts to document a view of rare soul.

Awesome would be over doing it, or maybe not, but we did have rather a spiffing time.:yes:

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley

Still smiling most hours of the day. Enjoyed every minute.

It was the best Bamberg Weekender by far (even the other 4 were fantastic to brilliant).

Thanks to Susu and Malayka.

...do we need fire-breathers, clowns and half-naked bearded go-go girls on stage at Hamburg later the year to top it? Even with a whole circus...no way.

Edited by Ralf Mehnert

PS

Sebastian's help with sound equipment all weekend, the afternoon session and the small room was much appreciated, he worked so hard behind the scenes through the weekend, and then along with Andreas he put together a cool set on the thursday evening cinema, session.

Lastly, but probably most importantly thanks to SuSu and Malayka for creating an environment where DJ's and crowd felt free to express and enjoy themselves.

PPS

Then to top the weekend off St Pauli won their game and got promotion on the sunday, hope the Hamburg crew didn't have too big a hang over on monday.:thumbup:

Cheers

Dave

Have to agree, fab weekend. Had a great time. Especially sat afternoon was great: really excellent music, so many like-minded people having a good timeand I'd never seen the Cafe Kranen that crowded before.

But I'm afraid also two major points of criticism from me:angry.gif

the sound systems in both rooms:

overdriven and much too loud on many occassions. Have two mates who went up to the decks a few times to tell the dj's to turn it down a bit and to readjust the controls -> no reaction no.gif

the sounds played on saturday night in the main room:

I wasn't looking forward to any dj in particular so I spent friday night swinging between both rooms and heard some really great music played everywhere. Expected the same for saturday night but was let down badly. I know the main room isn't called "northern room" but it's the room for Northern and 60s sounds in everybodys perception so why playing 70s disco tunes there? And what's with this funk sh**e? ranting_1.gif I know it's been discussed to death that "funky" tunes are said to be the future for the UK scene. But Bamberg isn't the UK scene, the crowd is a mix from all over Europe (and beyond) and they sure deserve better than to be fed with second rate tighten up clones for the best part of two hours. Don't get me wrong, I do like songs with a funky edge (thanks to Dave for playing Charles Mintz, best version IMO) but I don't want to hear them for hours.

And yes, I know, dancefloor was busy most of the night. But for each one dancing to those funky crap, there were two or three waiting for some uptempo Northern or R&B to be played.

Anyway, phew, feels better to have that off my chest. sweatingbullets.gif

But believe it or not, I'm already looking forward to next year thumbup.gif

Then to top the weekend off St Pauli won their game and got promotion on the sunday, hope the Hamburg crew didn't have too big a hang over on monday.:D

Cheers

Dave

Even being a longtime supporter of FC St.Pauli I just saw the match on the web on sunday evening after returning to Hamburg. Knowing there were big promotion parties after 8 years in `down-under-leagues` with thousands on the streets 5 minutes away by foot I couldn`t go out anymore. That sums up the brilliance of Bamberg for me....

Edited by Ralf Mehnert

Have to agree, fab weekend. Had a great time. Especially sat afternoon was great: really excellent music, so many like-minded people having a good timeand I'd never seen the Cafe Kranen that crowded before.

But I'm afraid also two major points of criticism from me:angry.gif

the sound systems in both rooms:

overdriven and much too loud on many occassions. Have two mates who went up to the decks a few times to tell the dj's to turn it down a bit and to readjust the controls -> no reaction no.gif

the sounds played on saturday night in the main room:

I wasn't looking forward to any dj in particular so I spent friday night swinging between both rooms and heard some really great music played everywhere. Expected the same for saturday night but was let down badly. I know the main room isn't called "northern room" but it's the room for Northern and 60s sounds in everybodys perception so why playing 70s disco tunes there? And what's with this funk sh**e? ranting_1.gif I know it's been discussed to death that "funky" tunes are said to be the future for the UK scene. But Bamberg isn't the UK scene, the crowd is a mix from all over Europe (and beyond) and they sure deserve better than to be fed with second rate tighten up clones for the best part of two hours. Don't get me wrong, I do like songs with a funky edge (thanks to Dave for playing Charles Mintz, best version IMO) but I don't want to hear them for hours.

And yes, I know, dancefloor was busy most of the night. But for each one dancing to those funky crap, there were two or three waiting for some uptempo Northern or R&B to be played.

Anyway, phew, feels better to have that off my chest. sweatingbullets.gif

But believe it or not, I'm already looking forward to next year thumbup.gif

Morning Benji

:D:D:D

Attended my first Soul Shakers last year and had an amazing time, really really pleased with the whole lot: nice town, reasonably priced and decent accomodation, cheap meals and beers, fantastic music. My friends and I decided to make it back this year and to be honest I didn't expect it to be as good. How wrong was I!!!! Let alone the poor weather, the whole "Bamberg Experience" did it again this year! Personally I loved the music selections even more, in both rooms. More variety in the big room, with a nice mix of 60's soul, crossover, r&b and funk and the odd modern track. Brilliant endings both nights. Sheer funk and modern quality in the small room! I would say all the djs played fantastic sets, but the stand-outs for me would be Sam in the big room on saturday and Marc in the modern on Friday! Really enjoyed Marco' sets and the funky tunes that Lars played on Saturday, the crowd was obviously loving it! So bad we had an early departure on sunday and couldn't attend the lunch/afternoon do... will keep that in mind next year. Well done to Suzanne and Malayka, the applauses you got in the end were truly deserved thumbsup.gif

WOOOWIE, what a weekend, all is said! I will deffo come back again next year!!!!

Great sets, especially the ones from Thorsten Wegner, both spanish guys on saturday afternoon and of course soul sam and a big thanks to marc forrest for playing the four andantes-love that tune!!!

See you soon

Henning

Guest Ollo

Thank you ever so much Susu & Malayka!

That was one of the best events ever for me.

You guys are really my balcony people... :-)

Can´t wait for the Soul Experience 2011... :-)

ATB & KTF!

Ollo

P.S.:

I´ve uploaded a few images which can be found here:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?/gallery/album/10459/3846-bamberg-soul-shakers-2010/

Unfortunately I forgot my camera and had to use Hannes chinese (censored) cam... :-p

Hi!

Been coming to Bamberg the last three years and there's no doubt that this has been the best of them all....Nobody that was at the "Soul'n'Sausage" session on Sunday will ever forget it, it was sheer magic!

Musical highlights of the weekend for me: Brad and Butch sets at the modern room (yes, the Gold onethumbsup.gif); Sam's funky set at the main room and Marco's sets wherever he was playing...and the Sunday session as a whole (Sam+ Dave + Marco + Lars)...simply unbeatable! hatsoff2.gif And, last but not least, the Saturday afternoon sets of Stephan K & Tolbert and OUR David De Santiago & Josep A... Maybe i'm biased , but the atmosphere the Spanish Duo created was one of the most emotional moments of the weekend thumbup.gif

One of the best weekends ever for me, in every aspect...except for one thing: the constant pilgrimage of people to the DJ stage. I know most of people who were hanging around there weren't aware of the image they projected... but it's not only rude for the rest of the punters, it also bad for the concentration of Dj's and, it's got to be said, it's also a real danger for the belongings of the Dj's. I mean, who'd let everybody and his dog get near to record boxes if inside of them there were, instead of records, thirty thousand pounds in cash? no.gif Let's put egos aside and let Djs do their job.

Best!

Edu

Edited by tykarim

Agree with most things said on this thread..Soul 'n' Sausage session was something i'm not sure can ever be repeated to quite that level. Highlights were Brad Hales requesting the record on sunday afternoon that set the tone for the rest of the day, Butch and Marco's saturday night sets in the main room ( I thought the roof was going to come off at one point!!!). Adey's fantastic set in the modern room saturday night, the huge spanish influence , who seemed to be having a ball and getting everyone else into a party mood, Val's Elaine for the Colin Law Impression ( the less said the better). As most people who know me I'm a man of few words but everyone who I know and got to know either for the first time or a little better that weekend I thank you. Jock for his scottish version of german!!Marco, well just for being Marco!!!

Everyone who attended made it what it was..A fantastic weekend..

Thank you Malayka & Su

Kitch & Julia....

Guest stromberg

"Maybe i'm biased , but the ambient the Spanish Duo created was one of the most emotional moments of the weekend "

maybe you were biased, Edu, but they really DID create a fantastic atmospherethumbsup.gif

A bit embarrasing though that it took a bunch of spanish people to drink the bar dry on saturday afternoon....we tried soo hard the previous years and didn't manage thatlaugh.gif

A really, really outstanding weekend, so many good records, so many great people, so many beer!

Can't wait for next yearyes.gif

Sauerkraut!

Stefan

Guest marco

Josepa & David thumbsup.gif

Nearly forgot! You two were $£&*ing great on Sat afternoon too! In fact the Spanish crew generally were definitely on something special...:hatsoff2:

PS I didn't really hear much funk at the weekend, to be honest - slightly funkier soul, yes, but the accent was always on the soulful side of things, which is how it should be. Just an observation...

Guest krissi

still speachless, amazed,happy!!!!

thank you!! thank you susu & malayka,thank you DJs,thank you spanish crew, thanks to everyone who made this weekend such a blast! i will always keep the video-moment in my mind&heart.

it was my 3rd soulshakers weekender and it gets better every year, even if you think its not possible any more. i will never ever miss this big soul-family in bamberg again!

krissi

Nearly forgot! You two were $£&*ing great on Sat afternoon too! In fact the Spanish crew generally were definitely on something special...whistling.gif

PS I didn't really hear much funk at the weekend, to be honest - slightly funkier soul, yes, but the accent was always on the soulful side of things, which is how it should be. Just an observation...

One thing is for sure Marco..The Bird is most definately the word!!!!shades.gif

Guest markus gora

without any doubt....for sure the best venue in germany...thanks to malayka & susu for making this possible...

& thanks to marc forrest for an increcrible set of great records on saturday...

Edited by markus gora

It was my first Soulshakers and I really loved it. Though I do have to agree that there was too much Modern played in the big room so I never felt the need to even check the small room out. More 60s Northern and R&B would have been very much appreciated. Still..absolutely awesome weekend,crowd and djs! Props to Malayka and Susanne! I'll be back :hatsoff2:

Hi all:

Still backin to the earth planet, just want to say big thanks to Malayka, and to all the people involved in the weekender, ten out ten, enjoy all the music and all the beers, and of course such a great company (special mention to Paz that recomended the Bamburgo Experience laugh.gif )

A pleasure play some records with Josepe saturday evening.

Lookin foward to next year

David

its hard to believe already a week has gone by since this years soulshakers experience was started.

and what a great experience again it was!

top moments for me where

1. dancing to willie tees "you gonna pay some dues"

2. dancing to arthur willis "the hurting is over"

3. the spiderman situation

...after we (jocko, karina, me, krissi and brad) had been locked out in the stairways at the DJ`s house aka soulshakers headquarters we were thinking and trying real hard how to get in and how to get to our beds at 8 am LOL ! Because of the fact we already were a bit "2 loud" during the after show the morning before intense knocking was no solution at all so we ended up with one of us -Brad in that case- climbing out the window, up on the roof, over to the next one and then thru a smaill window at the top end of the roof! spiderman to me from now on. and a real life saver!

4. the lord chatterly situation

...will stay between me and lord chatterly in order not to embarras anyone!

5. the sunday soul and sausage situation

awesome. from start to finish, from the Tomangoes to the soultrain imitation line dance. just perfect.

6. the train situation

...when three of us Berlin Soulies (16 all together from Berlin...new record too!) were thrown out the dining car on the way back after one of us had managed to cover himself almost completely with beer while ending every sentence and "prosit!" with a loud and clear "Save the World!" LOL. And no, it wasn`t me.

musically it was fantastic from all dj´s I heard and I think I heard nearly everybody at the allnighters except for maybe marco but I had plenty a chance to hear him at the dj`s house..man you seemed to have been glued to that record player in the third floor LOL! was amazed to hear Sam spin James Brown`s great "Money Won`t Change You" on saturday. Like the tune a lot and always was amazed why I can´t sell my spare at 10,- ..well that should change soon me thinks. Also amazed to hear Butch spin Little Jewels "I Want To"... he enjoyed it so much he even danced behind the decks. Now that is something you do not see every day! Had a very early set on saturday and was amazed to have a full floor already at half past ten! that speaks for great people and a great atmosphere!

big thanks again to Malyaka and Susu and roll on may 2011!

marc

Guest marco

musically it was fantastic from all dj´s I heard and I think I heard nearly everybody at the allnighters except for maybe marco but I had plenty a chance to hear him at the dj`s house..man you seemed to have been glued to that record player in the third floor LOL!

Funny thing is, I really can't remember playing any records up there after the Friday session Marc!?

I blame Jock and Kitch...

Ahh... Willie Tee!

Edited by marco

hi malayka and susu,

perfect weekend like every year....:thumbsup:....this is the number 1 weekender in europe!!!!!!

hotel for next year is booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers jan

A week ago I was just waking up after a great friday night and looking forward to the saturday manouvers, now I'm back in the UK, it's raining, grey and overcast.:lol:

Guest krissi

its hard to believe already a week has gone by since this years soulshakers experience was started.

and what a great experience again it was!

top moments for me where

1. dancing to willie tees "you gonna pay some dues"

2. dancing to arthur willis "the hurting is over"

3. the spiderman situation

...after we (jocko, karina, me, krissi and brad) had been locked out in the stairways at the DJ`s house aka soulshakers headquarters we were thinking and trying real hard how to get in and how to get to our beds at 8 am LOL ! Because of the fact we already were a bit "2 loud" during the after show the morning before intense knocking was no solution at all so we ended up with one of us -Brad in that case- climbing out the window, up on the roof, over to the next one and then thru a smaill window at the top end of the roof! spiderman to me from now on. and a real life saver!

4. the lord chatterly situation

...will stay between me and lord chatterly in order not to embarras anyone!

5. the sunday soul and sausage situation

awesome. from start to finish, from the Tomangoes to the soultrain imitation line dance. just perfect.

6. the train situation

...when three of us Berlin Soulies (16 all together from Berlin...new record too!) were thrown out the dining car on the way back after one of us had managed to cover himself almost completely with beer while ending every sentence and "prosit!" with a loud and clear "Save the World!" LOL. And no, it wasn`t me.

musically it was fantastic from all dj´s I heard and I think I heard nearly everybody at the allnighters except for maybe marco but I had plenty a chance to hear him at the dj`s house..man you seemed to have been glued to that record player in the third floor LOL! was amazed to hear Sam spin James Brown`s great "Money Won`t Change You" on saturday. Like the tune a lot and always was amazed why I can´t sell my spare at 10,- ..well that should change soon me thinks. Also amazed to hear Butch spin Little Jewels "I Want To"... he enjoyed it so much he even danced behind the decks. Now that is something you do not see every day! Had a very early set on saturday and was amazed to have a full floor already at half past ten! that speaks for great people and a great atmosphere!

big thanks again to Malyaka and Susu and roll on may 2011!

marc

dont forget the pizza pie man thing! hahaha! what a weekend!

...still feel the Bamberg Experience in my bones or is it St. Paulis promotion to the Bundesliga:hypo: or a mix of both :blink:

I Had a fantastic time again!!!

Sturday afternoon was great: Fantastic set from our spanish friends, chatting with the 1860ers (Daniel and Benji) and nonstopnonsens with my mates "Melody" Bulnheim and Ralfi "Pagan"............

Thanks Susu and Malayka

Edu has a point about dudes rushing the stage - I have enough problems with hoping my records don't skip or jump on their own, but one cat made my records skip not once but TWICE to get the name of a track. I still wrote it down for him: "Clifford Fucking McClain." My brain is already like a marble in a bathtub even when I'm NOT trying to concentrate on a set. Miss each and every one of you, wish we could go live on a soulful little island somewhere with all our records...

SO- a quick 353 days 'til the next one? https://www.youtube.c...h?v=uOxtwPKBeK8

Guest karen b

Well Malayka and Susu, what can I add?:unsure:

No voice for nearly a week when we came home:blink:

And nearly divorce after 12 action packed finale hours on Sunday:swoon:

Now thats what Pete and I call a proper WEEKENDER!!!!:yes:

Love from Karen and Petexxxx

Well Malayka and Susu, what can I add?unsure.gif

No voice for nearly a week when we came homeblink.gif

And nearly divorce after 12 action packed finale hours on Sundayswoon.gif

Now thats what Pete and I call a proper WEEKENDER!!!!yes.gif

Love from Karen and Petexxxx

Oh well let the madness continue this weekend, see you saturday:thumbsup:

Dave

Malayka and Susanne

No write-ups from me - you know why shhh.gif

But just had to say one thing really loud:

THANK YOU!!!

xx

m

SNAP !!!!!! thumbsup.gif

OR IS THAT SNAPPS ? WHO CAN SAY !

CPTN M & GENERALISIMO V . THE OFFICIAL FINAL WORLD TOUR !

SORRY SOLD OUT ! NEWS OF EXTRA SHOWS JUST MEDIA SPECULATION !

Source Advert