Allnighter Issues

Mike

Who gives a fukc anyway,go where you want and have a good time.

It's attitudes like this that are destroying the scene, honestly Kev I expected better from you :thumbsup::lol::yes:

Social source share

• Replies 372
  • Views 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have to completely hold my hands up here and admit to merging two topics, the thread was supposed to be about Allnighter Issues, I wandered from the path and we now have a mixing of two very different things with different factors that probably do nothing but complicate?

Mike I think we should have 2 threads: yes.gif

Allnighter Issues

Soul night Issues

My fault, can we and when I say we, I mean you, can you fix it? sad.gif

No he cant , you,ve done it now, and its all your faultwink.gif

Social source share

we need something that will attract youngsters onto this great dance scene.

Not ignoring the points made in the rest of your post Chalky, but think the one above is the critical one as without an influx of younger people to the scene then there will be no scene in the near future to moan about. I've said it before but IMO the best way to attract a younger crowd is to have some younger DJs given regular spots at venues......but I doubt this will ever happen as it would mean retiring some of the sub standard older guard. I'm 34 and regularly give CDs of new buys/faves etc to my non-soulie friends and there's a fair few who love the music but refuse point blank to attend venues as their perception of the scene is that it's run by middle aged/old age men who they have nothing in common with.

Personally I think that at 34 I'm already too old in the eyes of the youngsters we want to come into the scene. What we need is young, passionate DJs with a real love of the music to be given their opportunity now and bollox to the DJ clique culture that is evident everywhere. I'd think it's far more likely that DJs like Callum will attract younger people onto the scene so get him and 5/6 others in the spotlight and let's see what they can do.

Social source share

No he cant , you,ve done it now, and its all your faultwink.gif

i just wanted to say ive enjoyed reading this thread despite thinking it might be another one of those where peoples choice and personal taste gets a bit of a kicking.It seems to me that promoting is a pretty challenging hobby. i would have thought though that collaboration and communication coupled with diplomacy and tact and the optimism and broad shoulders of a nepalese donkey would be required as standard.i just wanted to ask , where does the term, "Music Policy" come from, and how important is it to state that you as a promoter have one. i thought that a policy was something like a rule, where its broadly agreed to protect people from harm and generally helps an organisation have fewer cock ups or accidents ,or be sued for negligence if someone falls down the stairs because the stairs werent lit properly, or cracks their skull on the bog because the pool of urine on the floor hasnt been dried up in the last 2 hours. It may be okay for mcnonalds ,but is it actually helping to attract new punters, or is it just allowing people to use as a reason for not bothering going without ever finding out for themselves whether they like it. Bit long winded as per usual .smile.gif

Social source share

I've said it before but IMO the best way to attract a younger crowd is to have some younger DJs given regular spots at venues......but I doubt this will ever happen as it would mean retiring some of the sub standard older guard. I'm 34 and regularly give CDs of new buys/faves etc to my non-soulie friends and there's a fair few who love the music but refuse point blank to attend venues as their perception of the scene is that it's run by middle aged/old age men who they have nothing in common with.

Personally I think that at 34 I'm already too old in the eyes of the youngsters we want to come into the scene. What we need is young, passionate DJs with a real love of the music to be given their opportunity now and bollox to the DJ clique culture that is evident everywhere. I'd think it's far more likely that DJs like Callum will attract younger people onto the scene so get him and 5/6 others in the spotlight and let's see what they can do.

Yep, but the old fellas aint gonna give up there IVY LEAGUE status.laugh.gif I also think that Venue location makes it difficult for younger goers. Fair enough if its Manchester town centre, But a stables in the middle of nowhere is an altogether different prospect. It takes a bit of planning and bravery, then if your the ONLY few there it can seem a bit daunting i reckon. The Boutique boys have a younger following and the Leeds lads, but aren't yet a part of the accepted clique of dj's. I think the word used for them by the old guard is wannabees. (discussed in an earlier thread.) And there lies the problem, if you aint 110 years old and been playing the same tunes for 80 of em, your a Wannabee (not a rising dj and lover of music!) according to some of the Chelsea pensioners on here anyway.

As long as Callum (i dont know him) etc are not just playing the same tunes as the old guard, but in younger bodies, its a good idea.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I've said it before but IMO the best way to attract a younger crowd is to have some younger DJs given regular spots at venues......but I doubt this will ever happen as it would mean retiring some of the sub standard older guard. I'm 34 and regularly give CDs of new buys/faves etc to my non-soulie friends and there's a fair few who love the music but refuse point blank to attend venues as their perception of the scene is that it's run by middle aged/old age men who they have nothing in common with.

Yep, but the old fellas aint gonna give up there IVY LEAGUE status.laugh.gif I also think that Venue location makes it difficult for younger goers. Fair enough if its Manchester town centre, But a stables in the middle of nowhere is an altogether different prospect. It takes a bit of planning and bravery, then if your the ONLY few there it can seem a bit daunting i reckon. The Boutique boys have a younger following and the Leeds lads, but aren't yet a part of the accepted clique of dj's. I think the word used for them by the old guard is wannabees. (discussed in an earlier thread.) And there lies the problem, if you aint 110 years old and been playing the same tunes for 80 of em, your a Wannabee (not a rising dj and lover of music!) according to some of the Chelsea pensioners on here anyway.

As long as Callum (i dont know him) etc are not just playing the same tunes as the old guard, but in younger bodies, its a good idea.thumbsup.gif

You leave Chelsea out of this even if the average age of the players is 30 lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest 1STFRIEARL

Who goes where isn't the issue, after all it is ones own choice where to go and listen to soul music and whether or not we go all-night or to a soul night. The real issue that is having a serious detrimental effect on the scene is there is to much choice, too many events. We have already had one crazy example of three venues in close proximity to each other on the same night, sheer madness, there are probably several other instances around the country on any given weekend. I said it earlier, there are not enough soulies to go round, there are not enough youngsters getting into the scene. Many who do all-nighters no longer stay all-night which is understandable considering work, families etc.

The bottom line is promoters have to start working together and putting the greater good of the scene first and not their own self interest. So what if someone doesn't dj, just go out and enjoy the music without the worries or hassle of promoting. So what if your half dozen mates aren't posting in lookbacks how good you are and that the sun shines out of your arse, it is about the music and a scene not any one individual. The scene is in decline and something needs to be done soon, no, now!! We need full venues, less of the local rivalries and politics, we need something that will attract youngsters onto this great dance scene. We also need tolerance, not every other comments in lookbacks saying that at some stage the music didn't do it for them, it probably did it for someone else.

Most of all as said it needs cooperation between promoters!

Overkill was happening on the scooter scene in yorkshire chalky as a result the yorkshire scooter alliance was formed this is working very well in monitering the number of do's put on. They also offer discounted entry for members. they state on flyers and advertising if it is a alliance autherised event avoids clashes is this not a way forward.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Are you saying that if a person don't go to any all niters they have no interest in the music?????? or is that in the progression of the music????

l know i,m generalising a bit, but the first lot only go to local do's that really have no interest in new stuff at all ...then it stands to reason this must be yes! and we're talking here about going out yes?

and the second point surely must follow as the same

Social source share

Ha ha Unbelievable, since my post yesterday (with a blatant ad for SHS this fridaywhistling.gif ) somebody has posted on soul events that they're putting on a Northern soul night a 10 minute stroll down the road..... this fridayohmy.gif

I don't for one moment think that this will have any effect whatsoever on Solid Hit so it's not that I'm annoyed as such, but even if as I suspect their night will be more club soul (although it's labeled Northern Soul) you have to wonder how much thought has gone into this ? Why would you want to clash with an established club that have had their dates known for months ?

Unbelievable no.gif

Social source share

Ha ha Unbelievable, since my post yesterday (with a blatant ad for SHS this fridaywhistling.gif ) somebody has posted on soul events that they're putting on a Northern soul night a 10 minute stroll down the road..... this fridayohmy.gif

I don't for one moment think that this will have any effect whatsoever on Solid Hit so it's not that I'm annoyed as such, but even if as I suspect their night will be more club soul (although it's labeled Northern Soul) you have to wonder how much thought has gone into this ? Why would you want to clash with an established club that have had their dates known for months ?

Unbelievable no.gif

It's a totally different audience. See their website.Loads of young student types.Think it has been running for a while but I think they have just discovered this site.More oldies orientated if you ask me.Maybe this is where the future young blood is.Don't even know if they are ovo or not.If they were serving up the rare soul that Solid Hit does then I think you would have a problem.It is getting to saturation point though and something will give.

Social source share

"As long as Callum (i dont know him) etc are not just playing the same tunes as the old guard, but in younger bodies, its a good idea.thumbsup.gif "

Yes but the younger people don't have the same history with those records as older people such as yourself do. If the younger DJs want to play what would be considered oldies whilst still finding and playing fresh new sounds of all genres alongside, then great. I'm not advocating them playing solid oldies but that rich seam of music doesn't have the same amount of baggage for them as it does the majority of the scene. Of course it also depends who they are playing to. A crowd of younger people will also be hearing a lot of the is stuff for the first time. If the younger DJs are only going to be playing to the usual northern crowd of 40+ then of course they will fall flat on their arse if every person in there is religiously noting when, where and who played every record first. Having said that if maybe older members of the scene were to point new people in the right direction of new and varied sounds, that could also be a bonus? The scene will die if theres no sharing or co-operation. At the moment it appears some people exist on it purely to be at loggerheads the whole time! :thumbsup:

I'm not suggesting for a second i have all the answers, but there has to be some leeway i would imagine?

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

"As long as Callum (i dont know him) etc are not just playing the same tunes as the old guard, but in younger bodies, its a good idea.thumbsup.gif "

Yes but the younger people don't have the same history with those records as older people such as yourself do. If the younger DJs want to play what would be considered oldies whilst still finding and playing fresh new sounds of all genres alongside, then great. I'm not advocating them playing solid oldies but that rich seam of music doesn't have the same amount of baggage for them as it does the majority of the scene. Of course it also depends who they are playing to. A crowd of younger people will also be hearing a lot of the is stuff for the first time. If the younger DJs are only going to be playing to the usual northern crowd of 40+ then of course they will fall flat on their arse if every person in there is religiously noting when, where and who played every record first. Having said that if maybe older members of the scene were to point new people in the right direction of new and varied sounds, that could also be a bonus? The scene will die if theres no sharing or co-operation. At the moment it appears some people exist on it purely to be at loggerheads the whole time! smile.gif

I'm not suggesting for a second i have all the answers, but there has to be some leeway i would imagine?

Wasn't it born when Dave Godin said it was born and didn't it die when Ian Levine said it was dead.See the article I put up from Blues and soul.It is a minority who bicker about music on websites.It can't be very appealing for young kids at 23/24 to start collecting this music and wanting to deejay and then entering the scene to find it's full of middle aged fat blokes arguing about that's an oldie/that's a newie,thats crossover, that's reggae soul.Looking at that X Ray Soul site they look as though they have really got their act together, great website, loads of young faces, women and they look as though they are enjoying themselves with no baggage.It must have been like that at the beginning of the scene.Loads of new sounds, great atmosphere......why would they want to be part of the established soul scene.Don't know if they have a regular audience/crowd or whether they are ovo or not but i bet they haven't got 30 years of baggage and they look as though they are having.................fun .

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Yes but the younger people don't have the same history with those records as older people such as yourself do. If the younger DJs want to play what would be considered oldies whilst still finding and playing fresh new sounds of all genres alongside, then great. I'm not advocating them playing solid oldies but that rich seam of music doesn't have the same amount of baggage for them as it does the majority of the scene. Of course it also depends who they are playing to. A crowd of younger people will also be hearing a lot of the is stuff for the first time. If the younger DJs are only going to be playing to the usual northern crowd of 40+ then of course they will fall flat on their arse if every person in there is religiously noting when, where and who played every record first. Having said that if maybe older members of the scene were to point new people in the right direction of new and varied sounds, that could also be a bonus? The scene will die if theres no sharing or co-operation. At the moment it appears some people exist on it purely to be at loggerheads the whole time! :yes:

Well said that man!:thumbsup:

Social source share

If I go somewhere and the music is not to my taste I just won't go again. I would never come on here slagging it off.

If I go to an allnighter and there is a DJ that does not do it for me. So what? I am one person in a venue full of people.

All it takes is one look at the dance floor. If that is busy then it is job done in my book!

My sentiments exactly.

I do find it difficult to understand how people end up having crap nights (musically) though. A quick look at the lineup is all it takes...

Social source share

when will some accept that some have moved on and for various reasons are unable encapsulate that niter feeling that some feel is the be end all etc why can’t 'they' accept that there are literally 1000's who each weekend enjoy nothing more/nothing else than a

social evening of memories and nostalgia with some thought provoking stuff via the wheels of steel.

Some of you post as if you are the elite just because you still do a bit and attend the occasional nighter,,sake :thumbsup:

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Once you get over the fact that a large percentage of the Soul scene D.J.'s (or wants to D.J.) and therefore needs a sufficiant amount of venues to accomodate this, the varience of musical styles (1950's to last week!) the age group (from 16 to 60 plus) the "personal agendas" & "intolerances" of many of those "on the scene" , then we'll get a unified thing going onwhistling.gif

Des Parker

Social source share

Yes but the younger people don't have the same history with those records as older people such as yourself do. If the younger DJs want to play what would be considered oldies whilst still finding and playing fresh new sounds of all genres alongside, then great. I'm not advocating them playing solid oldies but that rich seam of music doesn't have the same amount of baggage for them as it does the majority of the scene. Of course it also depends who they are playing to. A crowd of younger people will also be hearing a lot of the is stuff for the first time. If the younger DJs are only going to be playing to the usual northern crowd of 40+ then of course they will fall flat on their arse if every person in there is religiously noting when, where and who played every record first. Having said that if maybe older members of the scene were to point new people in the right direction of new and varied sounds, that could also be a bonus? The scene will die if theres no sharing or co-operation. At the moment it appears some people exist on it purely to be at loggerheads the whole time! smile.gif

I think some people under-estimate younger people and thier knowledge of soul music ..sometimesyes.gif

When the scene 1st started it was a "young " scene ....most people walked into it with no knowledge but it did'nt stop em enjoying it and embracing it as their scene.

What knowledge do you need anyway ??

Labels and matrix numbers ??..who the artists are, or sadly were in most cases today??sad.gif

You don't need knowledge to walk into a room ,hear something you like and have a dance ,or to buy records you feel will get people up dancing.

You don't need to know if soul sam or butch played it 1st ,back in 1970 whatever? ...thats trivia for boffins who treat music like stamp collecting .

This debate was about why numbers are falling at allnighters and a lot of soul venues .

Beat boutique in Manchester and That Driving beat in Leeds cater for a lot of younger people and are thriving as far as i'm told (cos i've never been yetno.gif )

I keep my ear to the ground and am told these two places are well respected by young and old, so the promotors must be doing something rightyes.gif

p.s lots of good points but the one and only reason for the big fall in numbers is simple "saturation of poor quality venues"

Social source share

It's a totally different audience. See their website.Loads of young student types.Think it has been running for a while but I think they have just discovered this site.More oldies orientated if you ask me.Maybe this is where the future young blood is.Don't even know if they are ovo or not.If they were serving up the rare soul that Solid Hit does then I think you would have a problem.It is getting to saturation point though and something will give.

Different music policies don't wash with me. At the end of the day its all part of the same scene, just because one plays some at the rarer end and the other oldies is irrelevant IMHO.

Social source share

Different music policies don't wash with me. At the end of the day its all part of the same scene, just because one plays some at the rarer end and the other oldies is irrelevant IMHO.

Sorry Chalky but I have to disagree on that.......if every oldies/nostalgia night within a 45min drive of my 'progressive' soul night closed, then I would happily bet a large chunk of cash that it wouldn't increase the numbers at my event at all. Two totally different scenes.

Social source share

If one venue is adamant its a 60's UPTEMPO only venue and another says that all funk or 70's is shite and another that R & B stinks, this unity will never happen. Lifeline has a strict music policy, Burnley had a strict policy and i can think of only a few nights that dont limit themselves with narrow unbiased views and stupid policy's. Only policy should be 'good music to move your heart, soul and feet. Fuck the genre! If its good its good!

Each venue thinks that IT is right and that the other is wrong...it is all about ego it seems. Small rooms lead the way and maybe they can afford to, as they dont need to cater for large numbers of people who moan when something out of their genre zone is played. Nighters seem to attract increasingly intolerant people (when it comes to music). Also promoters seem to be increasingly uninterested in what goes on on a wider scale in th UK or Europe. Often just frequenting their own nights or rooms, or travelling abroad only when they dj.

I have been at venues with 'Incredible' small rooms attached to the nighter and not 1 of the promoters, standind all night long in the record bar, or big room, has even bothered to wander into the small rooms to check out whats happening. Its almost as if they are too 'big' and too 'right' to investigate any other possibilities...its a hierachy thing.

Im into music, so i check out all the rooms and as many events as my time allows...as a punter. Thats what informs my musical perspective. If i just stayed in one venue or one room, i feel i would be constrained and uninformed as to what the possibilities are. I really feel if a dj is invited to play, he should play what his soul and feet dictate, not what a narrow music policy prescribes.

Without this attitude, venues getting together and supporting each other is a definite non starter. Their narrow genre dictate doesn't allow a cross fertilisation with other venues. They need to broaden, listen, investigate, throw of their preconceptions and have a good dance!yes.gif

Just where does Lifeline say it has a strict music policy? The DJ's a free to play what they want, they are encouraged to play anything other than the norm. Saturday night there was plenty of the funky stuff, records like Wally Coco you keep going on about. Mick played a fair bit of it, Sam was the same. If a Dj doesn't play something that isn't to yours or anyone elses taste then that is down to the DJ not the promoters.

I also keep seeing Europe is the way forward, granted they don't have the baggage we have and at some venues there is a bigger scope of genres played, but by and large many are primarily oldies, records that are well known over here and have had plenty of turntable action. We are not like Europe we don't have the same audience which here by and large want to hear 60's dancers. The funky stuff isn't to everyones taste, I've no wish to hear endless amounts of it, it is boring after a while and repetitive, many are simply average records, dancers yes but average records.

Rather than keep having a go at the scene on here and the promoters and DJ's, why not promote an all-nighter?

Social source share

The future might be a barbecue at home,a few mates round,beer and wine.A turntable,everyone bring a box of records.

Then if it gets too busy,or noisy for your neighbours,open a venue.biggrin.gif

Sounds great Kev, when's the first one....and are we allowed to barbecue any records that are boots/pressings :thumbsup:

Social source share

when will some accept that some have moved on and for various reasons are unable encapsulate that niter feeling that some feel is the be end all etc why can't 'they' accept that there are literally 1000's who each weekend enjoy nothing more/nothing else than a

social evening of memories and nostalgia with some thought provoking stuff via the wheels of steel.

Some of you post as if you are the elite just because you still do a bit and attend the occasional nighter,,sake :yes:

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 1STFRIEARL

I'm sure i must have missed other venues nearer to me when i have been down to yours chalky. Only because of music policy Attic won you got my dosh.

Social source share

Don't agree.....used to go to Wendy Mays Locomotion in Kentish Town many years ago...smattering of northern soul,stax Atlantic etc.In no way part of "the scene".There's loads of clubs out there that are not part of the "scene" that play northern and rare soul/funk.This X Ray Soul Club in no way will threaten Solid Hit's night.Look at the pictures. I do not recognise anyone on that site who is part of the "scene". The "scene in London is Solid Hit/Va Va Voom and Boogaloo along with 100 Club.Rare Soul and R&B.It seems they have created their own scene!!!!Don't know about other parts of the country. Terry Jones and the Modern Soul Boys are part of a different "scene" and never shall any of these scenes meet unless its at the Modern Rooms up north.These X Ray boys probably wouldn't want to be part of "the scene".

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

This debate was about why numbers are falling at allnighters and a lot of soul venues .

Beat boutique in Manchester and That Driving beat in Leeds cater for a lot of younger people and are thriving as far as i'm told (cos i've never been yet:no: )

I keep my ear to the ground and am told these two places are well respected by young and old, so the promotors must be doing something right:yes:

p.s lots of good points but the one and only reason for the big fall in numbers is simple "saturation of poor quality venues"

There is a saturation of venues full stop, whether they are good or bad is irrelevant, how do you know if they are bad? Do you go to them? You say you have your ear to the ground, just what do these young DJ's play? Callum and Azza are good Dj's and deserve a chance but they don't play anything that is already on offer if everyone is totally honest about this.

Also some of the venues mention are city centre venues playing to a totally different crowd who have little if any affinity to the Northern Soul All-nighter scene so how can you compare the two????

Dj's age shouldn't come into the debate, it is the quality of the DJ's set that is what matters. Should Keb not get any bookings on the funk scene cause of his age, should he step aside for a younger DJ who isn't in the same league as Keb? It wouldn't happen so why should the Northern Scene be any different? As nlong as the music is quality I couldn't give a monkey if the Dj is 20 or nearing retirement age.

Experience is a mjor advantage and this comes with knowledge, the two go hand in hand.

Social source share

The future might be a barbecue at home,a few mates round,beer and wine.A turntable,everyone bring a box of records.

Then if it gets too busy,or noisy for your neighbours,open a venue.:thumbsup:

Kev

Mines a beer & fruit based drink for the little lady please.

As you say separated at birth :yes::D:D:D:D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Theres NO WAY it will happen Johnny. Your point about egos and views is true and will always stop that. For example, the reason Phil started Burnley was because of the nepatistic 'old boy' dj scene in uk. He wanted a venue (as far as i see) that didn't just rotate the same guests and dj's on a predictably mundane basis year in and year out. He started of well, but then , sort of fell into the same trap himself and then ran out of energy and inspiration. Thats the UK scene for you.

If one venue is adamant its a 60's UPTEMPO only venue and another says that all funk or 70's is shite and another that R & B stinks, this unity will never happen. Lifeline has a strict music policy, Burnley had a strict policy and i can think of only a few nights that dont limit themselves with narrow unbiased views and stupid policy's. Only policy should be 'good music to move your heart, soul and feet. Fuck the genre! If its good its good!

Each venue thinks that IT is right and that the other is wrong...it is all about ego it seems. Small rooms lead the way and maybe they can afford to, as they dont need to cater for large numbers of people who moan when something out of their genre zone is played. Nighters seem to attract increasingly intolerant people (when it comes to music). Also promoters seem to be increasingly uninterested in what goes on on a wider scale in th UK or Europe. Often just frequenting their own nights or rooms, or travelling abroad only when they dj.

I have been at venues with 'Incredible' small rooms attached to the nighter and not 1 of the promoters, standind all night long in the record bar, or big room, has even bothered to wander into the small rooms to check out whats happening. Its almost as if they are too 'big' and too 'right' to investigate any other possibilities...its a hierachy thing.

Im into music, so i check out all the rooms and as many events as my time allows...as a punter. Thats what informs my musical perspective. If i just stayed in one venue or one room, i feel i would be constrained and uninformed as to what the possibilities are. I really feel if a dj is invited to play, he should play what his soul and feet dictate, not what a narrow music policy prescribes.

Without this attitude, venues getting together and supporting each other is a definite non starter. Their narrow genre dictate doesn't allow a cross fertilisation with other venues. They need to broaden, listen, investigate, throw of their preconceptions and have a good dance!:yes:

paul, i agree with you on this, and its apparent the real brains are coming to the table here to point out EXACTLY whats aggravating the scene, love chalky and toads comments as well BECAUSE they are resonating. the scene's eating away at it self from within, because the selfishness of a minority caused other to take up the guantlet and then throw it down in their faces. as more people have got into the scene, they have collected records at a frantic pace and the outcome?, is to dj. they cant get on to the top tier ( and frankly to that end i wouldnt try especially when you cant compete with the type of records the big djs have at their command....and i prefer to listen and dance to these guys because they still drive me and have done for many years). so the next level is the one that began with the cosmopolitan music policy, instigated by stafford e.g.

so the next group of wannabe djs found that the records they had been collecting where, all of a sudden, right for that new era....and with them came the new and varied venues...and more of their mates tagged on to it. fast forward and into the new millenium and STILL even more people want to dj but THEY find they cant get on, even with the revolutionary 2nd tier....so they have to resort to starting their own gigs....vicious circle...YES?

selfish ambition is a driving force....if reality prevailed THERE WOULD BE NO OLD PALS ROTAS like i said, there would be no need for so many venues if every promotor gave evry dj a chance and no one was left out. this thread REALLY IS TWO TIERED because the selfishness ties both together....punters will become even thinner, no one will make any money, gigs WILL fold , the punter who just wants the music will be the biggest loser. there's absolutely nothing wrong with having countless djs at all, these people have or are building great and varied collections and a good proportion have the personalities to go with it, but its probably within this that the selfishness starts ebcause the second tier pally promotors target these to add to their "rota" thus creating a "clique",.....so the others who get ignored become the new rivals and you cant really blame them.

does this also permeate into the all-nighter issue?....yes and no the big weekender and all-nighters use the big djs with the awesome collections and people who frequent all-nighters will in all possibility, attend these 9 times out of 10, because they are going to hear what they want to hear. with the second string all nighters, and there are many....the many djs think this is where they will get their chance.....but no the cliqueiness is working its way in here as well...as opposed to the BIG TICKETS, these promotions use a rota, albeit a limited one and, as for the music policy, it may be vastly broader but it dosnt necessarily follow suit that it will be quality....it may be in some cases rare but it aint never gonna be as brilliant as what our piers are communicating to us at the top venues. i will CONTINUE to support the major events in my diary and not quibble about getting a spot because i go there to dance and enjoy...what i wont do...and this is a personal opinion, is support venues where i realistically think i could hold my own djing but dont so much as get a nod....what drives that mentality?...years of putting hard earned cash into other people's pockets for no recompence whilst others have "got on" old pals act-wise...it takes a lifetime, ON THE SCENE, to find out who your friends REALLY ARE, the very people you have been supporting for so long and all the time they just want your money.

in closing, ill reiterate that i have no ambition to promote and dont have the collateral anyway and if i did id just be adding even more fuel to the fire/discussion.

THE SCENE HAS TO CONFORM, MORE GIGS OR LESS, AND MORE PEOPLE WANT TO DJ....SO LET THEM AND STOP SHUTTING THEM OUT....TAKE OFF THE BLINKERS, BANISH THE NARROW MINDEDNESS THEN JUST MAYBE, WE CAN PULL BACK FROM THE BRINK OR THESE PEOPLE IN ALL INNOCENSE, WILL DRIVE EVERYONE OUT OF BUSINESS....THEY DONT WANT MONEY...THEY JUST WANT THE PRIVALAGE OF DJING....GIVE THEM THAT AND THEY WILL STOP PUTTING ON GIGS AND CLUTTERING UP THE CALENDER.

BLOODY WELL GET A GRIP ON REALITY!

ROB.H

Social source share

Don't agree.....used to go to Wendy Mays Locomotion in Kentish Town many years ago...smattering of northern soul,stax Atlantic etc.In no way part of "the scene".There's loads of clubs out there that are not part of the "scene" that play northern and rare soul/funk.This X Ray Soul Club in no way will threaten Solid Hit's night.Look at the pictures. I do not recognise anyone on that site who is part of the "scene". The "scene in London is Solid Hit/Va Va Voom and Boogaloo along with 100 Club.Rare Soul and R&B.It seems they have created their own scene!!!!Don't know about other parts of the country. Terry Jones and the Modern Soul Boys are part of a different "scene" and never shall any of these scenes meet unless its at the Modern Rooms up north.These X Ray boys probably wouldn't want to be part of "the scene".

There are soulies into oldies, rarer stuff and modern so they can have a detrimental effect on the local scene if all on the same night. You say Xray wouldn't affect one of the other clubs but we all started at youth clubs and progressed, things are no different in this situation but if the venues clash then a choice has to be made.

Social source share

paul, i agree with you on this, and its apparent the real brains are coming to the table here to point out EXACTLY whats aggravating the scene, love chalky and toads comments as well BECAUSE they are resonating. the scene's eating away at it self from within, because the selfishness of a minority caused other to take up the guantlet and then throw it down in their faces. as more people have got into the scene, they have collected records at a frantic pace and the outcome?, is to dj. they cant get on to the top tier ( and frankly to that end i wouldnt try especially when you cant compete with the type of records the big djs have at their command....and i prefer to listen and dance to these guys because they still drive me and have done for many years). so the next level is the one that began with the cosmopolitan music policy, instigated by stafford e.g.

so the next group of wannabe djs found that the records they had been collecting where, all of a sudden, right for that new era....and with them came the new and varied venues...and more of their mates tagged on to it. fast forward and into the new millenium and STILL even more people want to dj but THEY find they cant get on, even with the revolutionary 2nd tier....so they have to resort to starting their own gigs....vicious circle...YES?

selfish ambition is a driving force....if reality prevailed THERE WOULD BE NO OLD PALS ROTAS like i said, there would be no need for so many venues if every promotor gave evry dj a chance and no one was left out. this thread REALLY IS TWO TIERED because the selfishness ties both together....punters will become even thinner, no one will make any money, gigs WILL fold , the punter who just wants the music will be the biggest loser. there's absolutely nothing wrong with having countless djs at all, these people have or are building great and varied collections and a good proportion have the personalities to go with it, but its probably within this that the selfishness starts ebcause the second tier pally promotors target these to add to their "rota" thus creating a "clique",.....so the others who get ignored become the new rivals and you cant really blame them.

does this also permeate into the all-nighter issue?....yes and no the big weekender and all-nighters use the big djs with the awesome collections and people who frequent all-nighters will in all possibility, attend these 9 times out of 10, because they are going to hear what they want to hear. with the second string all nighters, and there are many....the many djs think this is where they will get their chance.....but no the cliqueiness is working its way in here as well...as opposed to the BIG TICKETS, these promotions use a rota, albeit a limited one and, as for the music policy, it may be vastly broader but it dosnt necessarily follow suit that it will be quality....it may be in some cases rare but it aint never gonna be as brilliant as what our piers are communicating to us at the top venues. i will CONTINUE to support the major events in my diary and not quibble about getting a spot because i go there to dance and enjoy...what i wont do...and this is a personal opinion, is support venues where i realistically think i could hold my own djing but dont so much as get a nod....what drives that mentality?...years of putting hard earned cash into other people's pockets for no recompence whilst others have "got on" old pals act-wise...it takes a lifetime, ON THE SCENE, to find out who your friends REALLY ARE, the very people you have been supporting for so long and all the time they just want your money.

in closing, ill reiterate that i have no ambition to promote and dont have the collateral anyway and if i did id just be adding even more fuel to the fire/discussion.

THE SCENE HAS TO CONFORM, MORE GIGS OR LESS, AND MORE PEOPLE WANT TO DJ....SO LET THEM AND STOP SHUTTING THEM OUT....TAKE OFF THE BLINKERS, BANISH THE NARROW MINDEDNESS THEN JUST MAYBE, WE CAN PULL BACK FROM THE BRINK OR THESE PEOPLE IN ALL INNOCENSE, WILL DRIVE EVERYONE OUT OF BUSINESS....THEY DONT WANT MONEY...THEY JUST WANT THE PRIVALAGE OF DJING....GIVE THEM THAT AND THEY WILL STOP PUTTING ON GIGS AND CLUTTERING UP THE CALENDER.

ROB.H

Thank god I don't promote for a living!!!.Imagine promoting to feed your wife and kids at the moment.Who does it for a living...Kev and Adey? any more?.It seems the cult of "superstar dj" has made an impression on the rare soul and northern scenes and everybody who has access to e bay and a bit of spare cash can have a go without leaving their town.If you cant afford the records so what....get down to HMV and you can get them all on CD.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

ROB.H

MOST SENSIBLE POST ON THIS THREAD !

down with the snobs :thumbsup:

Social source share

it is nothing to do with snobbery, elitism or anything similar it is all about the plethora of venues and the detrimental effect it is having on the scene. Whether you care ton admit it or not the scene is in decline and something needs doing soon to reverse this before it goes to far.

So if you have no interest in reading what others opinions are on the state of the scene bugger off and read something else.

Social source share

There is a saturation of venues full stop, whether they are good or bad is irrelevant, how do you know if they are bad? Do you go to them? You say you have your ear to the ground, just what do these young DJ's play? Callum and Azza are good Dj's and deserve a chance but they don't play anything that is already on offer if everyone is totally honest about this.

Also some of the venues mention are city centre venues playing to a totally different crowd who have little if any affinity to the Northern Soul All-nighter scene so how can you compare the two????

Dj's age shouldn't come into the debate, it is the quality of the DJ's set that is what matters. Should Keb not get any bookings on the funk scene cause of his age, should he step aside for a younger DJ who isn't in the same league as Keb? It wouldn't happen so why should the Northern Scene be any different? As nlong as the music is quality I couldn't give a monkey if the Dj is 20 or nearing retirement age.

Experience is a mjor advantage and this comes with knowledge, the two go hand in hand.

I could take the high ground and argue all night Chalky but what's the point ...you and i both know we won't resolve anything and the fact is we both have a passion for the same cause.

In truth i read lookbacks i listen to fellow soulies when they mention certain venues ...without qouting playlists i think we both know ,these venues may be run by young promotors and have a healthy following of young punters ....however they don't discriminate with their dj policy ...both have had their fair share of some of the finest dj's around guesting at these venues.

I just don't buy into the age thing .....it smacks of ignorance .My point is these guys are doing something right ...Getting young people interested in the soul scene today!

And while we are on about the younger generation .....it may not be too healthy on the UK soul scene but from what i read /hear /see ,the continental scene is also very healthy with young followers too.......maybe we can learn from them ??

Constructive answers are the way forward :smile:

Social source share

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yup, and another example. Went to a soul night locally advertised in paper a couple of years ago. Over 150 in, didn't recognise a single face - well one actually, and then two others turned up so 3 out of 150. The other 147 were enjoying themselves to 60s and northern soul, and you never see them at a rare soul gig, allnighter or even an evening do. So I think SHS is safe Dave :D

Des said the scene is very fragmented now, and ain't that the truth. Too factionalised too many genres. NS is a meaningless term - everything from 1950s R&B to Y2K10. Over 50s years of black dance musical evolution. It's a long way from it's uptempo 60s definition that attracted many of the now 40/50 somethings to it in the 1970s. Very few like all of this 50 year range of music, and some only like half a decade of it (1965-1969).

Finally as people get older they're getting far more fussy as to where they go. Longer term don't see too much of a future for allnighters :ohmy: . Not with all the weekenders now on (how many a year now?), where you can just fall into your pit / chalet / caravan / tent when you've had enough........plus an ageing demographic :lol: inevitably losing it's 'energy' to stay up all night without "assistance". By and large youngsters won't go to our gigs, my son said as much "why do I want to hang around with a load of old people - chortle chortle you got to be kidding Dad chortle chortle - toothless birds there Dad - no way etc etc"

Also starting to think there are too many self appointed people trying to "save the scene" with their own variants / nights -some playing very dodgy stuff and claiming it's the new way forward. And it's all very well quoting old "B&S B.S" from old father Elson who'se reporting was somewhat dodgy at the best of times (and that's putting it mildly), but back then soul was still 'fashionable' and there was loads of fresh blood coming on the scene every week to fill the dancefloors.

Enjoy it while you still can!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

would ANY of the so called "TOP DJs" dj for nothing? week in week out, NO !!. so why not give the "little guy" a spot OCCASIONALLY?. because he/she WOULD. then maybe they won't go doing there own promotions. IMO.

Social source share

would ANY of the so called "TOP DJs" dj for nothing? week in week out, NO !!. so why not give the "little guy" a spot OCCASIONALLY?. because he/she WOULD. then maybe they won't go doing there own promotions. IMO.

Some venues do this astra - Lifeline always have "non big name" guys on early doors. And they get paid too!

Social source share

Careful Astra,the "little guy" may be a "wannabee" who hasn't time served or been to the mythological DJ School.

Keeps cropping up on the thread about "cliques" of promoters/dj's.Would anyone seriously dj for a promoter who they couldn't stand the sight of.? No.

Friends and mates gravitate to each other thru a common set of demoninators.The music.The venues.The dj's.The crack.

Would a promoter book a dj they would rather set on fire? Not if he's true to himself.

So would someone please tell me whats wrong with likeminded folk meeting up and getting along.FFS !!!!!

Running all nighters as a business gets mentioned.The only ones who make the money ARE business men at heart.I'd bet the only ones who make money run oldies venues.

Social source share

Whats with the 1000 yard stare ?.

Like i said whats the dayers got to do with this thread?.Got a problem in S.Yorks then aint you.

Its a Bank Hol weekend - always going to get the Charity dayers on at these times.If there's 10 Dayers and 10 niters on,if you happen to choose the one for you ,does anyone really care what's happened at the others. ?

Who gives a fukc anyway,go where you want and have a good time.

It'll be the nighter for you Barney?

just noticed the emoticon must be a typo sorry'

as said dont do allnighters , went to one earlier in the year and just re-inforced my reasons for not doing them, but I wont criticize it , because although it wasnt for me there were lots of people there who were really enjoying themselves and the music and great for them ,

the point being yes there are a lot of events , soul nights and allnighters going off on the same dates, and these do have an impact on each other and I do care that whichever event people want to attend that they have a good time and get to hear good music and are able to dance , drink and chat in reasonable surroundings without getting ripped off in the process, those who say its about the allnighter scene and the soul nights dont affect them want to get real , this month I have been to 6 different soul night 3 in south yorks,2 in west yorks ,an1 in notts. 4 were full ie standing room only and 2 were half full, the full venues were well established and the other 2 havent been going for very long, and will probably struggle ,heard some great sets from well known dj,s and in my view an awfull set from a very well known dj , and before anyone chips in with name em , no way.would probably have been to a few more but been workin abroad and didnt get back in country till tues 6th of this month, so yes I do travel to different venues and see and hear a large number of different dj,s some of whom also dj at allnighters, so to me the soul nights get to play to some extent what is played at allnighters , but to me in sensible time and not daft oclock.

:rolleyes:

am just one of the great unwashed a mere mortal punter with nothing at stake except being able to go out and listen to good music and have a good time, wherever.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Once you get over the fact that a large percentage of the Soul scene D.J.'s (or wants to D.J.) and therefore needs a sufficiant amount of venues to accomodate this, the varience of musical styles (1950's to last week!) the age group (from 16 to 60 plus) the "personal agendas" & "intolerances" of many of those "on the scene" , then we'll get a unified thing going onwhistling.gif

Des Parker

Could not have said it better myself.

Stu.

Social source share

I think some people under-estimate younger people and thier knowledge of soul music ..sometimes:yes:

When the scene 1st started it was a "young " scene ....most people walked into it with no knowledge but it did'nt stop em enjoying it and embracing it as their scene.

What knowledge do you need anyway ??

Labels and matrix numbers ??..who the artists are, or sadly were in most cases today??:sad:

You don't need knowledge to walk into a room ,hear something you like and have a dance ,or to buy records you feel will get people up dancing.

You don't need to know if soul sam or butch played it 1st ,back in 1970 whatever? ...thats trivia for boffins who treat music like stamp collecting .

Beat boutique in Manchester and That Driving beat in Leeds cater for a lot of younger people and are thriving as far as i'm told (cos i've never been yet:no: )

I keep my ear to the ground and am told these two places are well respected by young and old, so the promotors must be doing something right:yes:

Good open view Nev and your right those venues are busy and also the guys have knowledge and more importantly no agenda (like record sales) to push...

Social source share

Should Keb not get any bookings on the funk scene cause of his age, should he step aside for a younger DJ who isn't in the same league as Keb? It wouldn't happen so why should the Northern Scene be any different? As nlong as the music is quality I couldn't give a monkey if the Dj is 20 or nearing retirement age.

Keb shouldn't get any bookings on Funk scene cos he sold all his records and now plays rockabilly? Hes had enough of funk and is honest about it. maybe some of the northern djs who look bored behind the decks should adopt the same policy?

Social source share

just noticed the emoticon must be a typo sorry'

as said dont do allnighters , went to one earlier in the year and just re-inforced my reasons for not doing them, but I wont criticize it , because although it wasnt for me there were lots of people there who were really enjoying themselves and the music and great for them ,

the point being yes there are a lot of events , soul nights and allnighters going off on the same dates, and these do have an impact on each other and I do care that whichever event people want to attend that they have a good time and get to hear good music and are able to dance , drink and chat in reasonable surroundings without getting ripped off in the process, those who say its about the allnighter scene and the soul nights dont affect them want to get real , this month I have been to 6 different soul night 3 in south yorks,2 in west yorks ,an1 in notts. 4 were full ie standing room only and 2 were half full, the full venues were well established and the other 2 havent been going for very long, and will probably struggle ,heard some great sets from well known dj,s and in my view an awfull set from a very well known dj , and before anyone chips in with name em , no way.would probably have been to a few more but been workin abroad and didnt get back in country till tues 6th of this month, so yes I do travel to different venues and see and hear a large number of different dj,s some of whom also dj at allnighters, so to me the soul nights get to play to some extent what is played at allnighters , but to me in sensible time and not daft oclock.

:rolleyes:

am just one of the great unwashed a mere mortal punter with nothing at stake except being able to go out and listen to good music and have a good time, wherever.

No problem Barney.But this is about all nighters.There's not many in the Notts area who go to soul nights and nighters.But this area is blessed with nighter dj's.That's why your'e hearing some sounds.Probably a while after they've been big,but hearing them nonetheless.

Soul nites are very different to the niters,but how many people would do both in a night?.Why don't soul nites promote a link to an all nighter?.

Some allnighter dj's get booked,then find their big tunes clear the floor cos no-one knows em.They have to resort then to the tried and tested.

Then the punters say -"Whats the fuss about these guys?.No need to go to a nighter"!!!

Social source share

Just where does Lifeline say it has a strict music policy? The DJ's a free to play what they want, they are encouraged to play anything other than the norm. Saturday night there was plenty of the funky stuff, records like Wally Coco you keep going on about. Mick played a fair bit of it, Sam was the same. If a Dj doesn't play something that isn't to yours or anyone elses taste then that is down to the DJ not the promoters.

I also keep seeing Europe is the way forward, granted they don't have the baggage we have and at some venues there is a bigger scope of genres played, but by and large many are primarily oldies, records that are well known over here and have had plenty of turntable action. We are not like Europe we don't have the same audience which here by and large want to hear 60's dancers. The funky stuff isn't to everyones taste, I've no wish to hear endless amounts of it, it is boring after a while and repetitive, many are simply average records, dancers yes but average records.

Rather than keep having a go at the scene on here and the promoters and DJ's, why not promote an all-nighter?

OOH seem to have struck a note! Name me your top ten funkier tunes Chalky. I can only assume your lack of knowledge of this genre is the reason for your fear and outrageously uninformed statement. Im not talking about FONK im talking about great 70s soul that Lifeline definitely doesn't cater for. Thats not to put the venue down, but you have a strict mostly 60's and so called best of 70's policy, thats fine. But you DEFINITELY are not playing the best of. 70's..Fuck Wally Coco, ive hammered that for 2 or more years. Its just an example of whats about, but still not embraced by the nighter scene...

Your closed attitude and lack of getting out to smaller venues seems to inform the "people dont want it" statement...check Boutique and other venues maybe. You will grow from it! Boring and repetitive is what id call the Northern scene at the moment, hence the problems and people running there own events because the so called big nighters that used to lead the scene, have become stagnant and repetitive. :yes:

I would never run a nighter, i think they are over...soul nights are about as long as the older scene goers can fully commit energy to before getting pissed. Having said that, i support your venue, i AM a punter and as such feel i can say (from my heart and soul) what i think.

I have however run a play for 3 years that played to 80.000 people and , i hope, contributed some joy and soul to the scene. It cost £250,000 to tour each time and so know about stress and promoting Chalky....

Social source share

OOH seem to have struck a note! Name me your top ten funkier tunes Chalky. I can only assume your lack of knowledge of this genre is the reason for your fear and outrageously uninformed statement. Im not talking about FONK im talking about great 70s soul that Lifeline definitely doesn't cater for. Thats not to put the venue down, but you have a strict mostly 60's and so called best of 70's policy, thats fine. But you DEFINITELY are not playing the best of. 70's..Fuck Wally Coco, ive hammered that for 2 or more years. Its just an example of whats about, but still not embraced by the nighter scene...

Your closed attitude and lack of getting out to smaller venues seems to inform the "people dont want it" statement...check Boutique and other venues maybe. You will grow from it! Boring and repetitive is what id call the Northern scene at the moment, hence the problems and people running there own events because the so called big nighters that used to lead the scene, have become stagnant and repetitive. :yes:

I would never run a nighter, i think they are over...soul nights are about as long as the older scene goers can fully commit energy to before getting pissed. Having said that, i support your venue, i AM a punter and as such feel i can say (from my heart and soul) what i think.

I have however run a play for 3 years that played to 80.000 people and , i hope, contributed some joy and soul to the scene. It cost £250,000 to tour each time and so know about stress and promoting Chalky....

With respect Paul, Beat Boutique is not a soul night as we know it although full respect to the guys for getting the music out there.

To quote your last post, it is not 'what a narrow music policy prescribes' so much as what the venue prescribes.

The style of music you champion is not typical of what allnighters on this scene are about.

I have listened to what you play and although there is the odd track I like, you would be the first to admit that it is not to my taste.

This is where the small rooms come in. They offer something different. Small rooms do not carry allnighters. If they did they would be the main rooms.

I hate to say it but if you are looking for a scene to accept the style of music you like then I have a horrible feeling this isn't the one to do it.

It has nothing to do with whether the music is good or not. Just that it is not right for this scene.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!